Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 335 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Weekly Shonen Jump #52 (2021)
Dorondororon (New Series, Cover, Lead Color Pages)
My Hero Academa
One Piece
Witch Watch
Dr. Stone
Protect Me, Shugomaru! (Color Page)
Sakamoto Days
Blue Box
Mission: Yozakura Family (Color Page)
Ayashimon
The Elusive Samurai
Me & Roboco (Color Page)
Magu-chan: God of Destruction
Black Clover
Undead Unluck
PPPPPP
High School Family
Ayakashi Triangle
Mashle

Weekly Shonen Jump #1 (2022) - Information
My Hero Academia (Cover, Lead Color Pages)
Dorondororon (Color Page)
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (Color Page)
Undead Unluck (Color Page)

Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
i dont understand how phantom seer does more than yozakura
Probably stock issues for Yozakura or just a lucky day for PS, Magu-chan #1 ranked higher than Yozakura #5 in the first day of Shoseki on November, it happens.

Final Phantom Seer Volume is supposed to have some extra content. A chapter focusing on Iori’s older sister and a side story that may attempt to tie up the series. I’m honestly shocked it’s still selling well despite getting axed and might be one of the very rare cases of an axed series maintaining/surpassing sales even after concluding its run in Jump.
This isn't the final volume.

Ebrietas-

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Turkey
What's up with the sales of the new volumes last week??

Mashle went from 74k for vol 5 to 45k for vol 6
Undead went from 35k for vol5 to 19k for vol 6 with the same amount of days for both series volumes

Last edited:

tirakai

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
People said earlier that it may be due to the state of emergency in Tokyo and Osaka. There's various ways that could effect sales like bookshops closing, a possible knock-on effect on supply issues outside those areas too (since if Tokyo closes down, everyone's affected), or people ordering online on sites not on Shoseki instead of buying at a shop.

NyanPower

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
I do find it weird when a cancelled series seems to sell better after the axe. Normally you'd think getting cancelled means less people would want to buy it.

I'd maybe understand if it managed to wrap up everything despite getting axed like Moriking, or went out with a bang like Agravity Boys with a very over the top finale that fits the series well, that way you're getting a short but still satisfying series, but PS just kind of stopped mid-story in a really unsatisfying way.

I suppose ending early makes it a cheap series to collect that doesn't take up much space?
Its unexpected cancellation created quite a fuss not only in here, but also in Japan. I remember it trending on JP twitter the day it was axed if I’m not wrong. So perhaps it caused curiosity to some, hence why more sales. It’s just a guess tho.

Wookitake

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
That's kind of off-topic, but does anyone follow sports with relegation system?
Wouldn't it be kind of nice to have a relegation system for Jump? If a manga is not working out, instead of being rushed and axed, it goes down the Shueisha championships rakings, and instead of being published by Jump it goes tot he 2nd division (Weekly Shonen Run/Walk/Any other Jump-related pun). And then, if it's still performing badly, it either gets relegated again or gets axed. If it finally gets more recognition and popularity, climbs back to Jump or Plus.

🤔

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Wouldn't it be kind of nice to have a relegation system for Jump? If a manga is not working out, instead of being rushed and axed, it goes down the Shueisha championships rakings, and instead of being published by Jump it goes tot he 2nd division (Weekly Shonen Run/Walk/Any other Jump-related pun). And then, if it's still performing badly, it either gets relegated again or gets axed. If it finally gets more recognition and popularity, climbs back to Jump or Plus.

🤔
This sounds like a fun concept for a Bakuman style manga drawing spokon mix, but I doubt it is really feasible in reality.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil

🤔
Manga serialization isn't a sport, so readers wouldn't support this neither would ever work because a manga needs to sell copies not get "points" to survive, which doesn't depend on training and etc, it would also mess up with the magazine structure and probably mess up with the authors mental health, imagine not only having to deal with the weekly rankings but having to deal with being labeled as not worthy of being in the magazine so you get punished and throwed in a second division where you need to somehow figure it out how to climb back or just get axed which will almost sure happens in the end, this seems a lot more cruel than what Jump do.

perroloco

Reaction score
Country
Mexico

🤔
We already have that but for manga that doesn't sell as much in WSJ anymore or manga that go into hiatus, they are sent to Jump SQ or Jump SQ rise. I don't think having a magazine with the manga that would have otherwise been cut from WSJ would help... Although I do see your point, after all, and correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't even Kimetsu no Yaiba, at one point, in danger of being cancelled? (Like it didn't have the best of rankings iirc at the start), so yeah some series could probably become big sellers if they didn't die a preamture death, but it's probably not worth all the hassle most of the times, I'd guess.

DreamcastDazia

Reaction score
Country
England

🤔
Lmfao. Weekly Shonen ran! Don't kill me xD
Jump has plenty of sister magazines so a WS Ran wouldn't be needed lol

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
The thing that i remember thinking about years ago is that Shonen Jump could have a "Shonen Jump 2" weekly magazine but only for veterans, a magazine where only authors who had a certain level of success (just a normal success required) would be able to publish there and not having to be treated the same as the newbies, this idea was because the clear problems Shonen Jump always had with the veterans treatment, isn't a surprise that a entire magazine/publisher were created by older authors just because of this problem, but ofc never happened, and the most we have now is Plus, but my idea was a classic printed magazine.

We already have that but for manga that doesn't sell as much in WSJ anymore or manga that go into hiatus, they are sent to Jump SQ or Jump SQ rise. I don't think having a magazine with the manga that would have otherwise been cut from WSJ would help... Although I do see your point, after all, and correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't even Kimetsu no Yaiba, at one point, in danger of being cancelled? (Like it didn't have the best of rankings iirc at the start), so yeah some series could probably become big sellers if they didn't die a preamture death, but it's probably not worth all the hassle most of the times, I'd guess.
JumpSQ and Rise aren't for that lol the only series to truly be moved were D.Gray-Man and World Trigger because the health problems of the authors, the rest were actual sequels like Shin Tennis, To Love-Ru Darkness and Kenshin: Hokkaido, but no series were moved because of sales drop.

The Yaiba thing is a myth, the series was never in danger, just that it took a bit more to really increase.

Last edited:

savethecat

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
The thing that i remember thinking about years ago is that Shonen Jump could have a "Shonen Jump 2" weekly magazine but only for veterans, a magazine where only authors who had a certain level of success (just a normal success required) would be able to publish there and not having to be treated the same as the newbies, this idea was because the clear problems Shonen Jump always had with the veterans treatment, isn't a surprise that a entire magazine/publisher were created by older authors just because of this problem, but ofc never happened, and the most we have now is Plus, but my idea was a classic printed magazine.

JumpSQ and Rise aren't for that lol the only series to truly be moved were D.Gray-Man and World Trigger because the health problems of the authors, the rest were actual sequels like Shin Tennis, To Love-Ru Darkness and Kenshin: Hokkaido, but no series were moved because of sales drop.

The Yaiba thing is a myth, the series was never in danger, just that it took a bit more to really increase.
I think a veteran only magazine would never work, simply because obviously things would still get axed like in every other magazine. its unlikely that they’d be able to always have enough veterans available to always have a full magazine, eventually they’d probably start serializing mangaka who aren’t veterans

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I think a veteran only magazine would never work, simply because obviously things would still get axed like in every other magazine. its unlikely that they’d be able to always have enough veterans available to always have a full magazine, eventually they’d probably start serializing mangaka who aren’t veterans
When i say veteran is any author that had at least a decently popular series and doesn't necessarily needs to be always from WSJ, having enough veterans wouldn't be a problem, it would obviously be a waaay less strict mag than the main one, which means less cancelations or a longer time between it, SJ alone has a really big number of veterans that didn't even tried to return after a success, let alone Shueisha as a whole, mags like Shonen Magazine and Shonen Sunday have a current line up of over 90% veterans, so veterans being available isn't a problem, and the idea was put in practice in the form of the Weekly Comic Bunch that was basically this, a magazine created by Jump veterans to publish veterans, but something under Shueisha and with the Shonen Jump brand could work much better, but is just a older idea that i used to have.

Franz

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Speaking of other things, am I wrong or this week the oricon data is late?

lobito180

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Portugal

🤔
They don't need to create a new magazine for that. Series that sell decently but rank badly could just be moved to Jump+.

Minsel

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shoseki 5/7
25. Boruto 14
26. Jigokuraku 13
27. Mashle 6
89. Undead Unluck 6
102. Dragon Quest 19
132. Yozakura Family 8
163. Phantom Seer 3
167. Kamonohashi Ron 2
382. i tell c 1

Wookitake

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Manga serialization isn't a sport, so readers wouldn't support this neither would ever work because a manga needs to sell copies not get "points" to survive, which doesn't depend on training and etc, it would also mess up with the magazine structure and probably mess up with the authors mental health, imagine not only having to deal with the weekly rankings but having to deal with being labeled as not worthy of being in the magazine so you get punished and throwed in a second division where you need to somehow figure it out how to climb back or just get axed which will almost sure happens in the end, this seems a lot more cruel than what Jump do.
I agree with some of your points, but...aren't the authors already labeled as not worthy when they are readily cancelled? I was just thinking of ways to prevent early axes. Instead of rushing to survive, the author could keep the desired pace and create a better story than rushing and ending with something U19, U30, etc. I just wanted them to have more time. The manga may be cancelled but it would be in a slower pace, with a chance to survive on the long run.

My motivation was Phantom Seer. Had some problems, but it could have caught on the right pace and survived.

Anyways, that was just a random idea 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.