Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 386 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Weekly Shonen Jump #52 (2021)
Dorondororon (New Series, Cover, Lead Color Pages)
My Hero Academa
One Piece
Witch Watch
Dr. Stone
Protect Me, Shugomaru! (Color Page)
Sakamoto Days
Blue Box
Mission: Yozakura Family (Color Page)
Ayashimon
The Elusive Samurai
Me & Roboco (Color Page)
Magu-chan: God of Destruction
Black Clover
Undead Unluck
PPPPPP
High School Family
Ayakashi Triangle
Mashle

Weekly Shonen Jump #1 (2022) - Information
My Hero Academia (Cover, Lead Color Pages)
Dorondororon (Color Page)
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (Color Page)
Undead Unluck (Color Page)

Last edited:

Pietro

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Did you guys vote for next manga? And what?

I voted:
1 Magu chan
2 Blue box
3 Sakamoto days

perroloco

Reaction score
Country
Mexico
Was Fuma no Kojiro a big hit? Is there any updated circulation number for it?

4'580,000 for 10 volumes, so an average of 450,000 per volume. Keep in mind that this is a title that was released in 1982, and this info was published (according to the video) in 2007, so Fuma no Kojiro didn't sell 450,000 per volume back in the day, but it is the total sales it had as of 2007.

I guess it must have sold around 350,000-ish back in its day, maybe Shueisha just expected more sales from Kurumada, who was a veteran. Or maybe Kurumada just quit it because he had Saint Seiya already in his mind... Who knows.

Another title from around that same era with similar numbers was Moeru! Oniisan and it managed to get to 19 volumes selling "only"5'000,000 (This btw is info from 2015), so it sold around 250k in Jump's golden era and it wasn't canceled until its 19th volume (It probably "ended" though Idk, haven't read it).

BX-02BLODIA

Reaction score
Country
United States

4'580,000 for 10 volumes, so an average of 450,000 per volume. Keep in mind that this is a title that was released in 1982, and this info was published (according to the video) in 2007, so Fuma no Kojiro didn't sell 450,000 per volume back in the day, but it is the total sales it had as of 2007.

I guess it must have sold around 350,000-ish back in its day, maybe Shueisha just expected more sales from Kurumada, who was a veteran. Or maybe Kurumada just quit it because he had Saint Seiya already in his mind... Who knows.

Another title from around that same era with similar numbers was Moeru! Oniisan and it managed to get to 19 volumes selling "only"5'000,000 (This btw is info from 2015), so it sold around 250k in Jump's golden era and it wasn't canceled until its 19th volume (It probably "ended" though Idk, haven't read it).
I think Kojiro did well enough to avoid the axe. However I heard that Kurumada ended it around the time his father passed away. Otoko Zaka would be axed though.

Pietro

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Did you guys vote for next manga? And what?

I voted:
1 Magu chan
2 Blue box
3 Sakamoto days

Mankichi Togawa

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Spain
The chapter of My Hero Academia has been colossal, probably my favorite Shonen Jump manga chapter of this entire year. Clear winner of the week for me.

Rukasu

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
This weird pedophilia plot in Yozakura really creeps me out, the chapter itself was cute but in the end it reminded me that the boy is a literal child. What was Gondaira thinking?

FireFantasyVI

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Undead was pretty good, interested in how this is going to play out

Mashle was good, I think if you had to explain the series with just one chapter, this one would be a good example of what it is, and if someone would like it

Ayakashi was surprisingly pretty good, I liked seeing how Matsuri and Suzu both view Ayakashi come into play

Magu was alright, a bit on the weaker side, but still a pretty average chapter for the series

So Dolphin is over, and I have to give it credit for managing a pretty solid ending for an axed series. Of course this is because it focused on this arc for the last 20 chapters or so, but it's not something you see often with axed series, so it's appreciated. That being said, I'm surprised it managed to go out with this much grace for something that sells like it does and was at the bottom in rankings basically it's entire run, so I made peace a long time ago and have been waiting for it to end. I also wasn't huge on the earlier chapters, but with this arc it focused on the underwater stuff (which was the best part) and managed to pretty well for itself, especially with the flashback for Dolphin. I look forward to Tamura's next series, but I don't know if WSJ is the best place for it

Roboco was pretty good, with the last joke really getting me

HSF was alright, gags were decent but the chapter overall felt a little weak in terms of quantity of gags

Sakamoto was great, fun action from start to finish, Heisuke is already one of my favorites

Elusive was pretty good, I'm getting a lot more into Tokuyuki's fight and the retainers got to do some cool stuff

Hard to tell if i tell c is ending or not, but regardless this chapter was the usual boring fare

Witch was great, really got me in the feels, and with the end it looks like we're going full Sket Dance, and I love it

It's also hard to tell how soon Kowloon is ending, it's obviously been going fast but unless they loose this game it doesn't feel like it'll end next week, so I wonder if the second series is taking JJK's spot temporarily. Anyways, nothing really to comment on

Blue Box was pretty good, Taiki was very relatable this chapter

Candy was surprisingly pretty good, the banter and jokes landed really well for once

Dr Stone was great this week. The absence of OP and JJK was noticeable, but still a better overall issue than last week

Aeneas

Reaction score
Country
Italy
As Mammo mentioned, Taguchi (also in charge of MHA) is the editor for Red Hood.

And Murakoshi, also in charge of Blue Box (and BtW), is the editor for Neru.

Thehoennhippo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Pretty good issue, I'm enjoying Yozakura going back to comedy, i tell c and Candy Flurry also put out some funny chapters this week, a lot of chuckles from me. One the more serious end, Cop and Dolphin had a satisfying ending, and MHA and Undead Unluck also had some killer chapters.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Michibata being back in Yozakura Family was all I needed. best boy.

Taiki x Haryu is the best Blue Box ship, the teasing never gets old.

Magu Chan and Witch Watch had great chapters.

and Candy Flurry (I laughed a lot) and I Tell C (good discussion good character design) and Nine Dragon's Ball Parade were fun,

Discomusic

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
1. Hard-boiled Cop and Dolphin: The epilogue was meh and the final decision of Chako was weird. But this is a first place out of affection for the series, and a farewell gift.
So, Covid restriction were boring the hell out of me when I discovered Mangaplus and decided to dwelve deep into this new hobby of Weekly Shonen Jump. It was the time where the four summer hits of 2020 debuted, and among them there was this weird story of a cop being so hard-boiled that he got exiled to an island full of weirdos. Being a beach lover, I was caught by the setting and when the humour and the characters started clicking on me, this became easily my favourite series on Jump. When it was slice of life comedy it was the kind of life I would like to live, when it got serious it was really cool and hyping. The main characters were all standing out (maybe the supporting cast was a bit weak), the art clicked on me, it was an amazing experience. Unfortunately, my sentiments weren’t shared by many, expecially by Japanese readers that decided against that series. It had its flaws, most notably a directionless beginning that weighted on the series for all of its run. But it was still my hidden gem and the series that I always looked forward to the most.
Given its long final arc, I got plenty of time to accept it was going to end and to move on. Now I am a full-fledged Jump fan, knowledgeable of its dynamics and the harshness of the competition, and there are many other series that will keep me company now that this is over. Thank you Hard-boiled Cop and Dolphin for this year we spent together, Samejima and the gang will be always remembered as the series that made me fall in love with Shonen Jump.

…and now, let’s discuss the rest.

2. Sakamoto Days: Great fight for the side characters. We’re 28 chapters in and the author is already capable of giving all characters their proper time to shine. Also, the gag about Heisuke’s thoughts was very funny.
3. The Elusive Samurai: At the end, the strategy was shown and it was brilliant, and very fitting of the character (this is in absolute the series where I have the most trouble in remembering their names). Now the tables are turned! How will the enemy react?
4. Blue Box: So, tonight I dreamt that I was reading the new chapter. It started with Taiki and Chinatsu being way too much intimate and then they got chased by witches because of their powers, and it suddenly turned into a standard battle shonen. So it was nice to see the standard sweet dynamics of the main duo when reading the real chapter.
5. My Hero Academia: It probably took for me a longer time than everyone else, but I have now realized that his series is way darker now. Not like a dark arc that may return joyful one day, this is the tone that will stick until the end of the series. We’ve hit the point of no return.
6. Ayakashi Triangle: This is the AT that I like. The fanservice was there, but the story was more important and when Suzu has to face the burden of her role it becomes very interesting. Something may have cracked in the relationship between her and Matsuri, we will see if there will be consequences.
7. Magu-chan: God of Destruction: What a lovely chapter! This time the wholesomeness didn’t feel forced because the chapter revolved into a character that we finally got to know more. Magu antics seemed a little unnecessary, but at the end he was just oblivious of how certain strong relations impact humans affects so we can forgive him.
8. Undead Unluck: A chapter full of exposition and with the setup for a new mini-arc. I’m glad they remembered that slaying an Uma has an effect to the world and it’s not just something you can brag about. Now let’s see what Fuuko will be able to manage in this situation.
9. Dr. Stone: An interesting chapter dedicated to remind us that the menacious enemy still exists. That spash page of Senku grabbed by Death was terrifying. And the Stone group is comig to Europe! I went at Barcelona for tourism once, I wonder how it will look 3000 years later.
10. Mission: Yozakura Family: Comedy episodes can be a hit or a miss for this series. Luckily, this time it was a fun chapter, and I like in general when the character of Shion is used for laughs. The only downside is that I don’t remember much of the perverted boy and also of the guy who she dates (the kid from that other Shion episode maybe?).
11. Mashle: This time his victory was predictable, so I’m not that mad. The problem of this enemy (and of many enemies) is that he spends too much time boasting about his powers, thus living Mash plenty of time to think a new strategy. By the way, that was one of the greatest cover of recent times.
12. Highschool Family: That is the weirdest love triangle ever. When it’s not busy competing for the title of best spokon in Jump, this is competing for the title of best romance in Jump. Can’t say it hasn’t guts.
13. Me & Roboco: Not really funny at beginning, but it gained momentum and by the end it was hilarious. We can all relate to Bondo after all.
14. Nine Dragons’ Ball Parade: For what we have seen until now, the rival deserves to win. Not just because he’s stronger, but because he can read them all. He’s also motivated and does his homework, so why shouldn’t be cheering for him?
15. Black Clover: Not very invested in this fight. Its pace is too fast and there isn’t much originality. But I won’t let my guard down because maybe this isn’t over yet.
16. Witch Watch: this was an attempt to present a sad and heartwarming story and, while I appreciated the effort, in the end it felt too forced. Maybe I’m too used to Gintama, that likes to punch you in the guts when you least expect it. I haven’t read Sket Dance, maybe this is more similar to that style.
17. Candy Flurry: Too much mood whiplash from last chapter, although I see that many liked it. Anyway it is from the beginning of the series that I have this question: why should lollipops be considered a powerful weapon? If you get hit by one, the most they can do is giving you a bruise, right?
18. i tell c: Wrong answer! Kaboom! Please look forward to Inaoka-sensei’s next work! …whew, what a mess.

Last edited:

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
This week's top 5:
1. Magu-chan: God of Destruction - Another very cute and emotional chapter. I'm really enjoying how much Magu-chan cares about how much Ruru reveres him, going as far as trying to emulate a father-figure. Napu also had a stellar moment with Ren's father this week too.
2. Mission: Yozakura Family - The only way to make that kid more of a manga-styled lady-killer would be to rename him to Shota lol. Nice to see a cute Shion chapter again, and seeing the incel hanging out at the household was nice too.
3. Witch Watch - The chapter itself was pretty self-contained and random, but that didn't stop me from bawling my eyes out. That was a pretty unexpected twist, and overall was a superb Father's Day chapter.
4. Ayakashi Triangle - Another really good chapter this week. I actually felt pretty bad for Suzu when she wanted to try befriending the drought ayakashi. I wonder if Matsuri's action against it will have any immediate consequences.
5. Hard-Boiled Cop and Dolphin - Probably the best chapter of the series. Too bad the series didn't focus more on Chako throughout its run. She was always the best character in the series. The ending was actually pretty nicely handled, and it was a pretty fitting conclusion for Father's Day specifically.

The best of the rest:
6. Sakamoto Days - The bird sniper guy is such a funny character that he greatly improves every chapter he's in. The ending of the fight was pretty sudden and abrupt, but up until then, it was a solid fight scene.
7. Candy Flurry - Each chapter continues to get a little bit better both in terms of action and comedy. I actually got some solid laughs out of that popcorn vs lollipops debate. I'm curious to see what its continued reception will be over the next few weeks.
8. I Tell C - Probably one of the weakest chapters of the series this week. Everything felt pretty random, but not really in all that funny of a way. The rookie cop looked a lot like the friend from Invade You.
9. High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku - Another alright chapter. A few of the gags worked well, but more of then fell a bit flat than worked for me. Seems like the father is the glue holding everything together in the series.
10. Mashle - I would easily call this battle one of the weaker ones in the series. The rationale for the conclusion was a pretty far stretch that was neither all that satisfying to watch nor very funny. Hopefully this was just an off-note in this arc.
11. Undead Unluck - Another pretty sudden development in the series. I'm not super hopeful at this point that anything can be done to make Under actually interesting to me at this point. All of the villains from that group have been quite lackluster.
12. Blue Box - I think my main problem with this series is the main characters are the most boring ones in the series. Hina and the senpai both have actual personalities, whereas the MC and Chinatsu both feel super flat by comparison. Hopefully something comes along to give these two some actual personalities to give them some livelihood.
13. Me & Roboco - I got a small chuckle at the final gag, but the rest of the chapter was pretty bland. Roboco has been on a losing streak lately, and I hope it can start to turn things around again soon.

Kushikime

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Jump Issue 29 Review

Great: MHA, Elusive Samurai, BC, WW

Good: Mashle, Blue Box, Dr. Stone, Sakamoto Days, Yozakura Family, Ayakashi Triangle, Candy Flurry, UU, HS Family, Magu-chan

Average: Roboco, i tell c, Cop & Dolphin, Nine Dragons' Ball Parade

Meh:

Yikes:

Probably the best Jump this year with nothing looking bad at all. MHA and BC had phenomenal chapters as well.

tirakai

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Cop and Dolphin ended really well overall I think, there's definitely more it could've done if it hadn't been axed of course but I feel satisfied with what we got from it over the past year and how it wrapped up.

What's everyone's guesses now on which will end next this batch between i tell c and Balls Parade?

Balls Parade seems to have stopped rushing quite as much this week (this match will end next week for sure however, so it could just have them lose and stop there or skip ahead to them getting the cup or do a volume-exclusive final match), while i tell c feels like it's doing a two-part story which isn't wrapping up anything but could potentially be the final thing it does before finishing with an open end.

My guess still goes to Balls Parade ending in the next two weeks (and personally given the choice I'd keep i tell c) but I'm not 100% after this week. I feel like they're both at the point where next week could be the finale (even if neither would be a satisfying ending).

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Cop and Dolphin ended really well overall I think, there's definitely more it could've done if it hadn't been axed of course but I feel satisfied with what we got from it over the past year and how it wrapped up.

What's everyone's guesses now on which will end next this batch between i tell c and Balls Parade?

Balls Parade seems to have stopped rushing quite as much this week (this match will end next week for sure however, so it could just have them lose and stop there or skip ahead to them getting the cup or do a volume-exclusive final match), while i tell c feels like it's doing a two-part story which isn't wrapping up anything but could potentially be the final thing it does before finishing with an open end.

My guess still goes to Balls Parade ending in the next two weeks (and personally given the choice I'd keep i tell c) but I'm not 100% after this week. I feel like they're both at the point where next week could be the finale (even if neither would be a satisfying ending).
why would they be ending? the person that looks at the ids of upcoming chapters on mangaplus didn't say they were going to end this soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.