Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk | Page 496 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2021] - Discussion and ToC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Weekly Shonen Jump #52 (2021)
Dorondororon (New Series, Cover, Lead Color Pages)
My Hero Academa
One Piece
Witch Watch
Dr. Stone
Protect Me, Shugomaru! (Color Page)
Sakamoto Days
Blue Box
Mission: Yozakura Family (Color Page)
Ayashimon
The Elusive Samurai
Me & Roboco (Color Page)
Magu-chan: God of Destruction
Black Clover
Undead Unluck
PPPPPP
High School Family
Ayakashi Triangle
Mashle

Weekly Shonen Jump #1 (2022) - Information
My Hero Academia (Cover, Lead Color Pages)
Dorondororon (Color Page)
Magu-chan: God of Destruction (Color Page)
Undead Unluck (Color Page)

Last edited:

Rukasu

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
My rank this week:

S:
Jujutsu
MHA
UU

A:
The Elusive Samurai
Blue Box
Sakamoto
Witch Watch

B:
Neru
Red Hood
Dr. Stone
Mashle

C:
PPPPPP
Yozakura
Magu
Ayakashi

D:
HSF
Roboco

kakilangit

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
-Art. PPPPPP is not bad,. i expect to be bad based on people reaction and bitching. Highly stylized art, (mostly hairstyle) is suitable. Hope he goes ball/hard on that, on not try to hide it.
- Visual music (as concept art, power-system=>imaginary reaction) should be great for contextual play (i mean, its not new, this kind of manga need it, like act age, shouma etc) BUT, for 2 times its show 2 us, i feel whelmed, he should brings the best there, to show off his skill, first one from his oldest, it should look majestic but i didnt feel like it was, 2nd one was more simple and modest from MC's experience, so thats expected.. Hope he can draw well weakly, thats when we should start judging.

From Story
- Overall, i enjoy as a whole. But, the middle before the test and after talk with the mother feel rush and didnt connect well with others.
- Characters, not outstanding, but nor bad either. focus only on MC, thast great start. No waste character, and no necessary other character overlap the mc (they can develop later, the mother, school's girl, Aunt). I feel you, lucky.

Verdict.
Better than my expectation. But not super hype. will check later......

Hey, its just my opinion.. and sorry for my english

animeexpert

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Japan
I havent seen any evidence that says that a mom is even at an increased higher risk of death from having more than one child at a time.
It definitely was a weird moment, cuz it only happend when the mom moved with the mc. Prob depression and overwork mixed together?

ItsSamu

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
I wouldn't say any series had a bad chapter this week, it's always feels nice when a not-very-good bottom dweller is replaced and things feel a bit more fresh.

Great:
1. ( - ) My Hero Academia - What an excellent chapter of for All Might, and an appearance of a fan favourite villain as well. These past few chapters have reached far to tug the heartstrings and this was just as good as Uraraka's speech. It's been a while since MHA was my favourite chapter of the week.
2. (-1) Blue Box - Loved seeing so many characters together at once. Haryu intrigues me so much, I hope if the series does become long enough that it explores more characters than the main trio that we get some insight into him and his potential love life. But for now this was another chapter of pleasant interactions and a little push in the right direction for Taiki and Chinatsu, cute.
3. (+1) Jujutsu Kaisen - Gege really decided he wanted to do a courtroom drama manga this week. Pretty sudden change of pace and focus but I really enjoyed it, nice commentary on corrupt justice systems and how it circled back to the culling game.
4. (+3) Me & Roboco - We're really tying together all these previous storylines into a coherent narrative? Nice. Didn't expect to get a proper backstory on Roboco, revealing she was in fact made for/participated in war. Obviously the cute gags were very funny but I liked getting to know the other side to Roboco. Looks like these characters will be recurring so I'll look forward to chapters that bring them back.
5. (-2) Sakamoto Days - Sakamoto Days' action is so engaging and fun to read. From that practice at the start to the final spread, love where this arc is going so far.
6. ( - ) PPPPPP (NEW) - Count me on the positive end of what is sure to be a divisive series. The question of whether it will survive in the magazine is one thing (and I'm not holding out hope - too many series I've enjoyed this year have flopped) but as for the chapter itself, I loved the pace and enjoyed Lucky as a main character. Definitely prefer the art in black and white and panelled than in the cover/colour pages, I'm a fan of the overall aesthetic. It's got some very classic tropes but I like that it doesn't feel recognisably 'WSJ', especially with that ending and it not needing to feel like it ended in a rushed first chapter climax.
7. (+2) Undead Unluck - Always love when we get flashbacks and more insight into the events from the first chapter; I didn't enjoy it as it happened originally but every time it's revisited it makes me think how much the series has improved from that bad first impression (for me at least). Love that little confession at the end, classic UU stuff here.

Good:
8. ( = ) The Elusive Samurai - Now that was really sweet. Out of this and Dr. Stone I preferred this quest for a hearty meal. Looks like this was a moment of (relative) levity before going back into something more serious again.
9. (+2) Neru: Way of the Martial Artist - Certainly better than the past two chapters. We got a good few standout panels, and Neru and the new girl's dynamic was an improvement as well. It's pretty much dead on arrival in terms of survivability but hopefully it manages to pull a semi-covert narrative out of what time is left. Please bring back the actual main girl though, she was one of the coolest parts of the first few chapters and now she's basically MIA.
10. (-5) High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku - Felt like all the gag serious wanted to go for a good balance of laughs and insight into their characters this week. The new volleyball player won me over by the end, cute little chapter.

Fine:
11. (+3) WITCH WATCH - I might actually like this new character if this is the dynamic he brings to the group, got a few laughs but still feeling the effects of how poorly his arc wrapped up last week.
12. ( = ) Black Clover - That was definitely a chapter of Black Clover: starts with the conflict that ended last week's cliffhanger, jumps into a sudden /jarring mid-chapter flashback for a good few pages, and returns for another bombastic moment to finish on. At least this week was on balance one of the better chapters of this pretty routine format. Definitely care more about this villain now than I do Yuno and his hater.
13. (-7) The Hunters Guild: Red Hood - Probably my least favourite chapter so far. I get it was all to recruit this new character, but the sudden focus on this nobody wasn't a very smart or engaging move at this point. At least it's not rushing anything quite yet.
14. (-4) Mashle - This was decent, can't say I felt anything much from it though. That final gag was pretty unfunny, actually.
15. (+1) Magu-chan: God of Destruction - Better than recent chapters have been for me! I like when thing get more serious with the cast and this was nicely handled, and it's carrying onto into next chapter! I don't actually care much for anyone directly involved in this interpersonal drama but it's a positive shift in focus.
16. (-1) Dr. Stone - We traded in science for some nice double spreads and a hunt for rice, not bad.
17. (-4) Mission: Yozakura Family - Shinzo is probably my favourite character in the series so was nice to have a chapter on him, though I did start to drift by the middle, not gonna lie.
18. (-1) Ayakashi Triangle - Even though it's at the bottom this week it wasn't a bad chapter. In fact, it moved the main relationship along faster than I thought, and things were consequential and not just excessively horny for the sake of it.

Bad:
N/A

Also feel the need to add to the noise that this is an A+++ cover. Let's hope this and the Ame Talk shoutout gives it a boost next month.

FireFantasyVI

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Undead was pretty good, I like the matchups we have going on here

Mashle was decent, I appreciate having some time away from the main cast to develop the antagonists, but man do I not care about them. The gag at the end of the chapter was good though

Ayakashi was good, cute stuff, surprisingly big plot stuff

I'm mixed on Magu, on one hand I like the situation being set up, but on the other hand I don't care for the melodrama and I couldn't care less about the outcome

Roboco was great, strongest in a while, gags landed very well

HSF was good, another pretty straightforward volleyball chapter, but it's been a while since we had one so I don't mind

Sakamoto was great, looking forward to this arc

Elusive was also great, nice breather chapter after the last arc while still moving some plot along

Witch was incredible, I love Keigo, and the jokes landed super well. The Lupin dive joke cracked me up

Blue Box was good, getting more interested in the sports aspect and the ending bit was nice

Not sure how to feel on Hood, felt a little random and moved a bit quickly, but for what it is it was entertaining

Neru was pretty good, loved the art,

P6 was alright. It sold Lucky's motivation and situation on me pretty well, but otherwise didn't do much for me. Felt repetitive at points, and I'm not huge on the art, but I'm still willing to give it a shot

JJK was great this week, I love Higurama already

DreamcastDazia

Reaction score
Country
England
P6 was great. Surpassed expectations

Minsel

Reaction score
Country
United States
S Tier
1. Undead Unluck
2. Jujutsu Kaisen
3. Sakamoto Days
4. Black Clover

A Tier
5. Neru
6. My Hero Academia
7. PPPPPP
8. High School Family

B Tier
9. Witch Watch
10. Magu Chan
11. Blue Box
12. MASHLE
13. Ayakashi Triangle

C Tier
14. Yozakura Family
15 Red Hood
16. Roboco
17. The Elusive Samurai
18. Dr. Stone

Last edited:

OniluapL

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Put me on the "pro-PPPPPP" camp. It isn't perfect, the pacing got a bit wonky near the end, but I do really like the style (the art is "weird", but it worked pretty well for me. Paneling and designs were pretty good) and I got invested in the main character. I think the relationship with the mom was well-written, same for the scene in the audition. It lacked some polish (there's some interesting aspects introduced that felt kinda messy in their presentation, such as that girl) in how to structure its chapter 1, but I'm pretty interested in how it goes! Not a lot of hope for it suceeding, though...

Meanwhile, I'm really falling out of love with Neru. It's not bad, but ever since the exam ended, my interest dropped. I don't think the author knew how to kept it going after they entered the school. Speaking of exams, Red Hood's been pretty boring also. I was excited to see more of the world after they left the village, but what's happening right now... ain't it. The introduction of these characters and mechanics for the test all felt really clunky and unenjoyable.

tirakai

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Personally I've been enjoying Neru more as its went along, now that there's some proper characterisation to add to the action I think the series is showing its strengths more. Still lacking in any real direction though, I find I enjoy it week to week but have no hype for what's next since, well, nothing's next really.

Red Hood this week though was strange, it was a big side chapter about the powers of a side character it's only really introducing mid-fight, with MC only showing up quick at the end. You need to set up the characters first, having whole chapters about random other people fighting who we didn't even know before the fight started has very little impact, you need to focus on the character as an individual first before shoving them into a big battle and expecting people to be invested in their fights. His power is cool and all but it's still the same issue, cool side stuff and set up for the distant future but in the short term the characters are badly introduced and the current plot doesn't have much point so it's not holding together.

Red Hood's the kind of series I could picture being really good 70 chapters in once the author's more experienced and is getting to their longer term plans, but early on it's really struggling to introduce it all competently in order to get there in the first place. And betting on it getting good later doesn't really work in Jump.

Last edited:

Discomusic

Reaction score
Country
Italy
1. My Hero Academia: Many have called it the chapter of the week, and I agree with them. I didn't like much the speech of Urahara, but this time it landed way better: we all love All Might even after everything that happened to him, that villain is always great and the lady that everyone but Horikoshi forgot was a great touch. Best Academia chapter ever since it turned dark.
2. Sakamoto Days: The assassins arc keeps being promising. Are they underestimating Sakamoto because he's out of shape or are there really more dangerous targets out there? In any case, those assassins sure are scary.
3. PPPPPP: When I started to binge all the Jump series I wasn't on par with, Act-Age was one of the first I picked up...but I stopped because on that very week it ended abruptly. This new series reclaims that spot for itself, and while it has room for improvement, it left me a good first impression: I liked that the MC isn't obsessed with his dream and I liked the fact that he still sucks, save from some people that can resonate with his music. Let's hope the general public agrees with me and that the author can keep the series at least at this level of interest.
4. Me & Roboco: I'm surprised that the biggest shock of the week went underlooked: Roboco has a plot going forward! The titular ordermaid now has some depth (sort of) and apparently everything that happens is canon, as shown with her idol days that have an effect on the story chapters. But in the end, she's just too cute to be defeated.
5. Magu-chan: God of Destruction: The trope played here is one of the most classic drama tropes, but the execution was very nice and touching in some points. This is a good "serious" chapter of Magu, that will get a resolution next time. I hope it ends the way I would like for it to end.
6. Jujutsu Kaisen: OBJECTION!!!
7. Black Clover: It's one of those sudden flashback Black Clover chapters that feel so old school shonen. Was the flashback good? Yes it was. So high ranking today.
8. Highschool Family: The current best spokon in all of Jump keeps delivering with another classic trope: the delinquent that deep underneath loves the game, and Ichiro showing him that sports can change anyone's heart. Spokon tropes are the best.
9. Blue Box: The second current best spokon in all of Jump...does actual sports? For the first time ever maybe. Then it returns to the usual romance, but this is a thing I like about Blue Box: it's a manga about what those sport-obsessed Spokon characters do when they aren't doing sports.
10. Ayakashi Triangle: A kiss long a chapter, but this week the lewdest things could have happened and I would still be happy, because I finally saw the Mei I was hoping to see. I knew she was on there somewhere!
11. Undead Unluck: This series has lost a bit of its charm recently. Every week we are remembered of the power of Love in a way or another, while what I loved the most was the world biulding and I would prefer to have more of that. Also, isn't this a chapter suited to be set just before an end-of-series final confrontation?
12. The Hunters'Guild: Red Hood: A couple of weeks ago I said about the Elusive Samurai that a chapter where the main character doesn't show up at all is a sign that the series is in a position of safety. So this chapter of Red Hood left me a bit confused. The side characters did cool things on both sides though, so I'll let it slide once.
13. Witch Watch: The werewolf is a nice character, but Keigo is boring as hell. Balancing the two things out, and adding the hilarious Lupin dive gag, I can't rank this chapter higher than this. If we're doing comedy again, can we have the weird classroom back, please?
14. The Elusive Samurai: It's filler time after a great streak of compelling chapters. Have a rest here near the bottom, and come back soon with new compelling chapters!
15. Neru: Way of the martial artist: It was fun in certain points, but it's still the definition of...average. It's like the author is not putting much effort into his manga, even if they know that the competition is fierce. It is too light-hearted for a martial arts manga that you should take seriously.
16. Mission: Yozakura Family: Yoza story arcs almost always deliver. Yoza filler chapters almost never deliver. Guess which one was it this week?
17. Dr. Stone: A bad streak for Stone, recently it's very rushing, as if they are urging to finish this part and to move to the next stage. Anyway, good luck for learning rocket science math in time if you are still at middle school geometry level.
18. Mashle: I think this is officially my least favourite series in the magazine now. Anything can happen at this point, you can present a new enemy being as dangerous as you want, it won't have any effect on me. That's a little sad.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Nice birthday present, i liked PPPPPP, as a said before, i had some good feelings about it and 1st chapter confirmed, i don't want to get ahead of myself, but i think if it doesn't go Red Hood route (being boring in the next chapters) this has a real chance of doing fine, this is for once a actual unique series for Shonen Jump, it has no competition or series to be compared, the premise of the seven siblings is already interesting from the start, it has that good sense of "mystery" around the kids, something similar to Kuroko no Basket where you got excited about meeting a new member of the GoM and see Kuroko (and Kagami) interacting with them, and this case it's even more interesting because all of them are siblings, so it has so much potential for drama and interesting interactions, and for sure all of them will have some distinct personalities, the art is also quite unique and if given the time it can develop into something very good like with Act-Age that was very rough when started, but of course, if the author is able to develop this well and not end up being just another flop, but it has some real potential.

Newkerzy

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia

Great to see it grow. Only question is, when and how will they monetize the platform and what can they do to ensure it’s equitably accessible? For example, different countries have different preferred payment methods, and there’s the small countries that probably have limited digital infrastructure, hence a lack of a digital payment platform.

Wookitake

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
something similar to Kuroko no Basket where you got excited about meeting a new member of the GoM and see Kuroko (and Kagami) interacting with them
I feel like it has some Kuroko on it indeed, but also other past serialization: Shokugeki no Soma.

That is because of how they are using visuals to transmit sensations to the reader -- in this case it is hearing -- just like what was done taste in SnS, modulo the ecchi part. Lucky is even getting to s renowned musical school.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I think I can say that Yozakura won't be getting a cover soon.
We don't know yet if the 2nd color page on #44 is just a regular, is very possible that will be the same case with the 3 consecutive cps for MHA a while ago and be a cover + lead cp.

4Eyes

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
P6 did everything it should in the first chapter. Presentation of MC goals, conflicts and way of life and a glimpse of secondary characters. Let's see where it goes now. I liked it.
And if things goes well and the author is clever it should save the brothers for very very later. There's a lot of things that can be done without even showing all brothers this early.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.