Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2022) - News and Discussion | Page 430 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2022) - News and Discussion

Which of the new series you're most excited for? (You can vote in 2 series at most)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stivie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
What inconsistency there is in Ruri Dragon? Ruri's fire sneeze was addressed in the entire 2nd and 3rd chapter, in the end everything was fine and no one was in fear of Ruri, just curiosity, it wasn't that much of a big deal.
Exactly, curiosity and not fear was supposed to be the most natural reaction.
If a person tries to burn me, even by accident, I wouldn't be curious.

galaxy-juice

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Exactly, curiosity and not fear was supposed to be the most natural reaction.
If a person tries to burn me, even by accident, I wouldn't be curious.
Obviously, RuriDragon is a fluffy slice-of-life about acceptance. Of course the characters will be accepting of Ruri, that's the premise you buy into by reading it. That's the whole point of it. If you don't like what RuriDragon is selling, that isn't its fault.

Obviously, Ichinose Family is not that. Unlike RuriDragon, we still don't totally know what Ichinose Family is about, so there is an actual discussion to be had. It was a stupid comparison, please move on.

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Obviously, RuriDragon is a fluffy slice-of-life about acceptance. Of course the characters will be accepting of Ruri, that's the premise you buy into by reading it. That's the whole point of it. If you don't like what RuriDragon is selling, that isn't its fault.

Obviously, Ichinose Family is not that. Unlike RuriDragon, we still don't totally know what Ichinose Family is about, so there is an actual discussion to be had. It was a stupid comparison, please move on.
Even if it's a story about acceptance it has to have some coherence. And you don't need everyone to ostify it right away, but a certain group would be nice. Acceptance was too easy.

In addition, we know that at some point she will have to look for her father, just like in the one shot, so you need to work on that reason.

And you shouldn't even be complaining about exaggerations in ichinose family, many manga in the magazine are exaggerated even the comedies that you defend so much.

Archaon

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Even if it's a story about acceptance it has to have some coherence. And you don't need everyone to ostify it right away, but a certain group would be nice. Acceptance was too easy.

In addition, we know that at some point she will have to look for her father, just like in the one shot, so you need to work on that reason.

And you shouldn't even be complaining about exaggerations in ichinose family, many manga in the magazine are exaggerated even the comedies that you defend so much.
Except Ichinose family isn't a comedy, it's a drama/mystery series. Difference genre require difference approach. When you exaggerate too much it lost the seriousness that the series suppose to have. A good example is Robocop where the ultraviolent element is so over the top that it turn back to be funny. Here I don't think Ichinose suppose to be funny.

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Except Ichinose family isn't a comedy, it's a drama/mystery series. Difference genre require difference approach. When you exaggerate too much it lost the seriousness that the series suppose to have. A good example is Robocop where the ultraviolent element is so over the top that it turn back to be funny. Here I don't think Ichinose suppose to be funny.
And where did the ichinose family hype make it the funniest thing?

Exaggeration doesn't always make things funnier, in the case of ichinose family, it's more repulsive which gives you more empathy for the MC to the point that you feel sorry for him, if it doesn't work for you ok, but I was quite shocked by the chapter 2, and it's nice to see something like this in the jump since chainsaw man.

Archaon

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
And where did the ichinose family hype make it the funniest thing?

Exaggeration doesn't always make things funnier, in the case of ichinose family, it's more repulsive which gives you more empathy for the MC to the point that you feel sorry for him, if it doesn't work for you ok, but I was quite shocked by the chapter 2, and it's nice to see something like this in the jump since chainsaw man.
That why I called it unintentionally funny, I understand what the author is trying to do but doesn't mean it succeed at that. The class reaction and behavior is so over the top that it no longer feel uncomfortable or repulsive and instead just feel funny. Your brain simply moved pass the uncomfortable part because it realize something like this could never happen in real life.

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
That why I called it unintentionally funny, I understand what the author is trying to do but doesn't mean it succeed at that. The class reaction and behavior is so over the top that it no longer feel uncomfortable or repulsive and instead just feel funny. Your brain simply moved pass the uncomfortable part because it realize something like this could never happen in real life.
If you didn't think that uncomfortable or repulsive, it looks like you're reading a completely different manga, or you're just looking for some nonsense justification for wanting the manga to be cancelled.

They talk about exaggeration, and 80% of jump manga have exaggerations regardless of the genre.

Whether the manga will succeed or not I don't know, but the author has the full right to work the way he wants, whoever is reading decides whether to continue accompanied or not.

Archaon

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
If you didn't think that uncomfortable or repulsive, it looks like you're reading a completely different manga, or you're just looking for some nonsense justification for wanting the manga to be cancelled.

They talk about exaggeration, and 80% of jump manga have exaggerations regardless of the genre.

Whether the manga will succeed or not I don't know, but the author has the full right to work the way he wants, whoever is reading decides whether to continue accompanied or not.
Well I am not the only one who feel that way, many more in this forum share that sentiment. Writing is hard and sometimes the result doesn't match the author intention.

Also you seem to missed my point, my point is that exaggeration doesn't always work or serve the same purpose, it's a tool and difference genre use it differently. Something that work for this genre doesn't automatically work for other genre, exaggeration for comedic effect isn't the same as exaggeration for dramatic effect. In general drama/mystery series don't use exaggeration or too lean too much into it as Ichinose right now. No one said that Ichinose shouldn't do that, the problem is that it's too much that it failed to accomplish it intention.

Also author do have the right to work the way they want, I am not argue against that, I just saying that doesn't automatically make it good. Remember Samurai 8 and how author work the way he wanted?

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
And that's it, the WSJ thread for 2022 is now closed! Thanks for each one of you that made a comment participating, doesn't matter if it was just 1, we appreciate and also all the lurkers that follows the page every day, i hope you all can eventually take the next step and turn into a user and member of the thread! :pleased

The thread for 2023 is now open HERE, let's go! :kkthumbs

Status
Not open for further replies.