Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2022) - News and Discussion

Which of the new series you're most excited for? (You can vote in 2 series at most)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I wonder if Miyazaki really devides by himself or it has the editorial finger because vol 10 was CSM when the anime was about to start and now HxH when the manga returns, seems like some sort of promotion too kkk

AssClass is more about being a student than HSF and it still ended without covering all the years
Actually Ansatsu story starts in the 3rd year of high school, and the premise makes it impossible to cover all years due to the "kill Koro-sensei within a year" rule.

Stivie

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Which a lot of fans didnt like if I remember correctly.
And then there's the Boku no hero academy that doesn't look like it's going to show the characters' second year.

or they're already in their second year, I don't know.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Actually Ansatsu story starts in the 3rd year of high school, and the premise makes it impossible to cover all years due to the "kill Koro-sensei within a year" rule.
But that doesn't change the fact that classroom murder hasn't shown every school year.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

But that doesn't change the fact that classroom murder hasn't shown every school year.

Neala897

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
And then there's the Boku no hero academy that doesn't look like it's going to show the characters' second year.
Lets wait about it though...

tirakai

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
it's not weird, almost every single highschool setting manga ends without covering the 3 years
i can't think of any that actually does cover all 3 years
It's not jump but the Yowamushi Pedal manga recently started the 3rd year, and I'm sure I've read a couple romance series that did 3 years too but I can't think of them off-hand.

That said, it does feel like HSF's wrapping up everything recently, considering the manga's only in Summer of 2nd year finishing the year 2 then doing a 3rd year would last until at least ch 250 at the current rate. And it just doesn't feel like there's enough left open to keep it going for another 150 chapters. Maybe another 50 to finish 2nd year, but it'd have to come up with more to keep 3rd year going at the same rate.

HSF's not primarily episodic like Roboco or Witch Watch, most of the series has been short arcs about the various characters doing sports or other events, and the sports stuff for 2nd year is all already done.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
It's not jump but the Yowamushi Pedal manga recently started the 3rd year, and I'm sure I've read a couple romance series that did 3 years too but I can't think of them off-hand.
thought Ace of Diamond is doing likewise as well, it did two years, and assuming 3 if he continues online

Thehoennhippo

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think HSF will probably cover all three years, but I bet each year will be fast than the last, their second year is already going much faster.

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I think HSF will probably cover all three years, but I bet each year will be fast than the last, their second year is already going much faster.
Meh...

this manga hasn't been cover even after two years of publication and now that it started to frequent the bottom more it won't be now that it will.

Thehoennhippo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Meh...

this manga hasn't been cover even after two years of publication and now that it started to frequent the bottom more it won't be now that it will.
Oh, that's not the meaning of the word "cover" that I meant.

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Oh, that's not the meaning of the word "cover" that I meant.
Well, if what people are saying is correct the editors may already want to rush HSF, since if Ginka and Glune is saved, there will only be TDBS to serve as a shield.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Hunter x Hunter chapter 400 is finished

By Togashi comments seems like he was working half digitally in the chapters but that ended up taking more time than expected and preventing him from drawing more, he will find other way for the next chapters. He is currently at ch404 storyboard

Dippy Fresh

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well, if what people are saying is correct the editors may already want to rush HSF, since if Ginka and Glune is saved, there will only be TDBS to serve as a shield.
Maybe it's me being ever the pessismist, but I think its a bit too early to be talking about G&G being saved. Its only TDBS' first truly bad placement and its not like G&G is in the top 5. It could even be in the top half and have horrible sales. For now, it's just not as dire

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Maybe it's me being ever the pessismist, but I think its a bit too early to be talking about G&G being saved. Its only TDBS' first truly bad placement and its not like G&G is in the top 5. It could even be in the top half and have horrible sales. For now, it's just not as dire
Well G&G already has its second CP as the official rank. Only Ruri dragon and Akane banashe have achieved this. So you can trust that at least it's safe for now.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
It all depends on when they will start something new, i'm predicting we're not going to see anything until late February, around issue #10 ~ #12 like this year, if you start to think, Jinzo Ningen 100 will have it's 1st ranking on #10, that's late.

HxH is obviously going to go back to (i think a shorter) hiatus after #4/5, will be 21 series, TDBS will be 19 chapters by the time #8 is released, within the axe range, would be 20 series, but unless WSJ is actually expanding it's line up now, something else will have to end in order to lower the line up to 19 series + at least 1 new series, so if G&G continues to perform in the middle, it's when things start to get interesting, maybe HSF will indeed be rushed or one of these final arcs actually get rushed, the "boring/normal" outcome would be G&G simply failing in the long run so they start 1 new series and we go back to 20 series.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Shoseki Top 500 (11/21)

2. One Piece #104
10. Hunter x Hunter #37
57. Black Clover #33
92. Sakamoto Days #9
168. The Elusive Samurai #8
176. Witch Watch #8
284. Mission: Yozakura Family #15
359. PPPPPP #5

Shoseki Top 500 (11/22)

4. One Piece #104
12. Hunter x Hunter #37
81. Black Clover #33
103. Sakamoto Days #9
170. The Elusive Samurai #8
194. Witch Watch #8
310. PPPPPP #5
337. Mission: Yozakura Family #15

Shoseki Top 500 (11/23)

3. One Piece #104
11. Hunter x Hunter #37
67. Black Clover #33
82. Sakamoto Days #9
157. Mission: Yozakura Family #15
167. The Elusive Samurai #8
181. Witch Watch #8
221. PPPPPP #5

End of the fiscal year of 2022, the number of covers and color pages! If anyone knows how to do the average ToC placement chart (i dont know) feel free to post :kkthumbs

COVERS (WITHOUT THE FIRST OBLIGATORY)

1. One Piece (7)
2. Jump Group (4)
3. My Hero Academia (4)
4. Sakamoto Days (4)
5. Jujutsu Kaisen (3)
6. Undead Unluck (2)
7. Mashle (2)
8. Me & Roboco (2)
9. The Elusive Samurai (2)
10. Witch Watch (2)
11. Blue Box (2)
12. Black Clover (1)
13. Dr. Stone (1)
14. Mission: Yozakura Family (1)
15. Akane Banashi (1)

LEAD COLOR PAGES (WITHOUT THE FIRST OBLIGATORY)

1. One Piece (9)
2. Sakamoto Days (5)
3. My Hero Academia (3)
4. Jujutsu Kaisen (3)
5. Akane Banashi (2)
6. Undead Unluck (2)
7. Mashle (2)
8. Me & Roboco (2)
9. Witch Watch (2)
10. Blue Box (2)
11. Black Clover (1)
12. Dr. Stone (1)
13. Mission: Yozakura Family (1)
14. High School Family (1)
15. The Elusive Samurai (1)
16. PPPPPP (1)

COLOR PAGES (TOTAL WITHOUT THE FIRST 2 OBLIGATORY)

1. Mission: Yozakura Family (11)
2. Sakamoto Days (11)
3. Undead Unluck (10)
4. Me & Roboco (10)
5. Blue Box (10)
6. Akane Banashi (10)
7. One Piece (9)
8. Mashle (9)
9. PPPPPP (9)
10. Witch Watch (8)
11. My Hero Academia (7)
12. Dr. Stone (5)
13. High School Family (5)
14. The Elusive Samurai (5)
15. Black Clover (3)
16. Jujutsu Kaisen (3)
17. Ayakashi Triangle (2)
18. Kochikame (1)
19. Hunter x Hunter (1)
20. Magu-chan: God of Destruction (1)
21. Ayashimon (1)
22. Doron Dororon (1)
23. Earthchild (1)
24. Super Smartphone (1)
25. Aliens Area (1)
26. Ruri Dragon (1)
27. Tokyo Demon Bride Story (1)
28. Ginka & Glüna (1)

COLOR PAGES (TOTAL WITH THE FIRST 2 OBLIGATORY)

1. Akane Banashi (12)
2. Mission: Yozakura Family (11)
3. Sakamoto Days (11)
4. Undead Unluck (10)
5. Me & Roboco (10)
6. Blue Box (10)
7. One Piece (9)
8. Mashle (9)
9. PPPPPP (9)
10. Witch Watch (8)
11. My Hero Academia (7)
12. Dr. Stone (5)
13. High School Family (5)
14. The Elusive Samurai (5)
15. Black Clover (3)
16. Jujutsu Kaisen (3)
17. Earthchild (3)
18. Super Smartphone (3)
19. Aliens Area (3)
20. Ruri Dragon (3)
21. Tokyo Demon Bride Story (3)
22. Ginka & Glüna (3)
23. Ayakashi Triangle (2)
24. Doron Dororon (2)
25. Ichinose-ke no Taizai (2)
26. Ango Gakuen no Iroha (2)
27. Kochikame (1)
28. Hunter x Hunter (1)
29. Magu-chan: God of Destruction (1)
30. Ayashimon (1)
31. Ichigoki! Soujuuchuu (1)

Quickly adding the absences of the year too:

ABSENCES

1. Hunter x Hunter (42)
2. Black Clover (19)
3. Ruri Dragon (18)
4. One Piece (14)
5. My Hero Academia (9)
6. Jujutsu Kaisen (9)
7. Mashle (1)
8. The Elusive Samurai (1)

Discomusic

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
Are we doing that little game where we return to our predictions at the beginning of the year and see how it went?

Just in case:

- One Piece still not out of Wano at the end of the year, the conclusion will be in sight though. (Nope, Wano is over)
- Academia will continue its march towards the finale that will happen in 2023. (More or less true)
- Black Clover will keep having bad ToC placements, similar to Bleach or Toriko end runs. (Mixed, some good placements here and there but overall medium-low)
- No HxH whatsoever of course. But we'll get Burn the Witch S2 around autumn. (Epic fail here)
- Dr. Stone is ending in 2022, but I'll say it will happen during summer. (Close, it ended in spring)
- JJK anime season 2 announced. Chainsawman anime will be a great success. (True)
- Yoza keeps doing its Yoza thing. Mashle will begin to wrap up. Undead will not end as many expect but will still be there coming 2023. (I suppose I got this)
- Magu ends during the second half of the year. HSF ends somewhere in spring. Roboco will live forever. (Magu ended earlier in the year, HSF is still there)
- Ayakashi will be punished for bad ToC placements and staling sales, and will end this year despite Yabuki's claim. (Nope)
- Sakamoto, Blue Box and Witch Watch keep growing. Elusive Samurai won't grow but is not at risk. All these series will live an healthy 2022. (true-ish?)
- Only Mashle anime will be announced at this year's Jump Fiesta. There may be others announced during the year but it's too early to tell. (I don't remember what was announced at Fiesta and what not)
- PPPPPP will survive for a while but without selling much, 20-30k. (True, if "for a while" comprehends being still alive today)
- Ayashimon survives a couple of rounds, then it will depend on how the story will develop. Doron Dororon is one of those series that we think will survive but the japanese don't. Shugomaru is already a dead manga walking. (True except for Ayashimon that died faster)
- At least one of the above predictions will be broken and one of the mangas that I considered safe will unexpectedly end, so that the magazine can keep producing new series at a regular basis. (Actually it was a safe year for estabilished series)
- There will be a follow-up to that Bleach one-shot from 2021. (Nope)
- I'm not good at predicting veteran returns, but I guess there will be some coming from recent axed mangas (e.g. Beast Children), and most 2022 debuts will be from expendable newbies. (Not true I guess, there was its fair share of returning veterans this year)
- There will be a new attempt at finding a new spokon, but just one series or two, similar to 2021. There will also be at least a new romcom and at least a new arts manga similar to PPPPPP. And a new ecchi series, maybe to replace Ayakashi. (Unless Tokyo Demon Bride Story counts as a romcom, I got only Akane-banashi here)
- Among all 2022 debuts, many will be axed, a couple will find moderate success and one will be a significant estabilishment. The true hit of 2022 will come from Jump+ though. (Ruri=true hit, Akane=moderate success. Jump+ didn't get a new hit this year, right?)
- Overall, after 2021 started this process, by the end of 2022 we will have a roster that feels estabilished from top to bottom. 2023 will bring a new shake-up with some of the veteran series ending. (I feel this was more or less true)

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
CHECKING THE 2022 PREDICTIONS

I was going to wait just a bit but since @Discomusic posted i guess we can start now.

The 2022 thread is going to be closed later this Sunday to Monday and the 2023 open, so as a tradition already, you all can quote your comment with the predictions for 2022 in the first pages of this thread and check each prediction, basically like done above, feel free to give your thoughts about each prediction and etc, there's no time limit until the thread is open!

Obs: Remember, predictions for 2023 will be made when the new thread is open.

OtterBrigade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
1. Dr. Stone and MHA end this year. Dr. Stone in the first or second batch, MHA in the last.
2. Undead also ends, has an anime announced around that time
3. Mashle and Ayakashi anime announced as well
4. PPPPPP gets lucky and survives a couple rounds and eventually pulls a Yozakura
5. none of the current batch (Doron Dororon, Shugomaru, Ayashimon) survive the year
6. Komi and Fujimaki don't return
7. Gotouge returns with the sci-fi rom-com
8. Usazaki returns in Jump+
9. Chainsaw Man Part 2 doesn't start this year
10. a short series (such as Comiq or the Dr. Stone one) by Boichi near the end of the year
1. Dr. Stone yes, MHA no
2. nope but I guess the anime was announced
3. yes and yes
4. Kinda?
5. yup
6. yup
7. nope
8. I wish :(
9. nope
10. nope

shonenblue

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
Hello all! Long time lurker (I think since 2020?), finally decided to make an account! Always love seeing the discussions covering this magazine we all love so dearly, so hopefully I can add something of value to the 2023 thread that’s coming). Figured I’d get my introduction out now so I can be all business when the new thread comes :hip

Personally, 2022 was a great year as a fan of the series I follow. To name a few: One Piece is building on its most facsinating bits imo, HxH is back, Sakamoto Days has fully established itself as a mainstay, and Akane-banashi + P6 are providing some fantastic character drama.

I follow about half the magazine at this time (used to follow the whole thing but decided to get picky lol), and it’s so cool seeing it getting tighter and tighter. I remember the great gag bowl of 2020, and the magazine has certainly come far since then. With MHA/Mashle ending in the near future, I’m very curious to see if we eventually get a new huge flagship battle shonen or if Jump just decides to build on the success of Akane/Ruri/seemingly Ishinose and go for more non-battle series. I don’t mind either way as long as we get some quality series. This new batch so far isn’t doing it at all for me sadly, but I’m remaining optimistic that 2023 will bring me some new favorites!

Anyways, happy turkey day to all who celebrate!

Last edited:

FireFantasyVI

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
One Piece- Again squeaks out 3 volumes a year with roughly the same break frequency, the main battle of Wano will be over, but they have not left the island yet. Sales remain roughly as they are
Partially True/Wrong- Technically 4 came out during this Jump Calendar but if counting from Jan-Dec 2022 only 3 did. The main battle of Wano is over, but they have left the island
MHA
- Does not end next year, however it is at its climax at the end of the year and set to end early 2023. No news about any S7 or Movie. Sales remain stable
Mostly True- It has not ended yet and likely will end early next year. No S7, but it would be weird to announce it before S6 was done. No movie is correct. Sales have increased, so that part is incorrect
Black Clover
- Finishes this Spade Kingdom arc, and begins the next big saga. Sales do not increase and it remains around 125k monthly. ToC rankings begin to regularly slip towards the bottom ⅓ of the magazine, however it doesn’t show any signs of ending and it’s fate is ambiguous going into 2023
Partially True- Spade Kingdom did end, and we are in the next (final) saga. Sales are roughly stable but closer to 140k. ToC rankings have in fact slipped near the bottom. The signs of ending part is debatably true, as we know it is in it's final saga, but not near the end of it
Dr.Stone
- On track to end in the summer. S3 airs in 2022, no S4 announcement. Sales remain stable
Entirely Wrong- It ended in the spring, and S3 will air in 2023 (Though the Ryuusui special did air this year). Sales increased as well
JJK
- Still on track to end around 250 chapters in 2023. Remains a strong seller, doesn’t dip below 1M monthly. Movie provides a moderate boost, S2 announced for late 2022
Partially True- Possibly will end around 250 chapters, but will likely not happen in 2023, so that part is debatable. Sales are still strong, but past it's peak, and the movie did give a boost. S2 was announced, but for 2023
Yozakura
- Begins to stagnate/growth becomes even more marginal. Ends fall 2022, around it’s anniversary. No anime announcement (I don’t read this anymore so I'm not as confident in these)
Partially True/Wrong- It has in fact begun to stagnate/decline, however it has not ended yet. Technically the no anime part is correct as the anime hasn't been announced yet but it does seem likely to be proven wrong in the next few weeks
Mashle
- Remains on track to end in 2023, entering it’s late stages by the end of 2022. Anime announced, 2 cours, airs summer or fall 2022. No season 2 announcement. Solid boost brings it around 400k monthly
Partially True- It is certainly ending 2023 and it's getting near the end. Anime is announced, but airs 2023. Since it is a "complete adaptation' it should be at least two cours, but there will be no S2 announcement. Since it did not air this year there is no boost
Undead
- On track to end in the spring batch next year, sales remain stagnant/declining as they have been. No anime announcement
Mostly Wrong- Does not end this year, and certainly not in the spring. Sales have continued to decline, but the anime was announced
Ayakashi
- As per Yabuki’s tweet, the series does not end next year and looks to end in 2023. Anime announced for late 2022, and only 1 cour. Only cover is for the anime announcement. Remains stagnant in sales, with no anime boost, and it remains a bottom dweller in the ToC
Partially True- It has not ended, the anime has been announced, and it is stagnant. However the anime is airing in 2023, and we don't know how many EP yet. Obviously no cover or ToC rankings since it transferred. Hard to say if it will end next year or not either
*Note- Yozakura, Undead, and Ayakashi are all in ambiguous situations where they may or may not get an anime, and can likely end under 150 chapters mostly naturally. If they do get an anime, they will likely stretch themselves out long enough to last until the anime ends, so into 2023. Could honestly go either way with them, but I’m guessing no anime for Yozakura and Undead, but Ayakashi will get one
Magu- Ends in the spring 2022 batch
Partially True- It does end, but it ended in the February batch
Roboco
- Continues to live through next year, growth remains marginal but it continues to receive solid promotion. No anime announcement, no covers
Partially True- It has continued to live, growth is marginal and it continues to receive promotion. However it does get an anime (albeit a short one) and 2 covers
HSF
- Ends in the January 2022 batch
Entirely Wrong- It's still kicking
Sakamoto
- Continues to perform solidly, but doesn’t become a mega hit and is in no danger. Sales do increase, and backlogs are solid, but it doesn’t break 100k monthly. Gets decent promotion with covers and color pages, but no anime announcement
Mostly Correct- It's doing well with promotion and sales, but hasn't broke 100k afaik. No anime
Elusive Samurai
- Sales are somewhat stagnant/declining but rankings and promotion is strong enough to keep it out of danger. Anime announced late 2022 for 2023
Partially True- Sales are stagnant/declining but it's rankings are still strong, and certainly not in danger. No anime though
Witch Watch
- Sales are mostly stagnant, but still receive decent promotion. ToC rankings bounce from high to low. Does not end next year
Partially True- Sales mostly increased afaik and it gets decent promotion. ToC rankings are mostly stable, and it does not end
Blue Box
- Continues it’s impressive performance, reaches around 120k per volume monthly. Grows into a moderate pillar of the magazine, and gets high rankings. No anime announcement
Mostly True- It's still doing well in sales and rankings, but is shy of 120k. Pillar status is debatable but definitely one of the stronger series in the magazine. No anime
P6
- Ends in the January 2022 batch
Entirely Wrong- Nope, still around. Felt close though
Ayashimon
- Receives moderate success, around the same level as Witch Watch. Shows some growth from volume to volume, and gets occasional color pages, and ranks around the middle of the magazine. Survives into 2023, but status as a hit is ambiguous
Entirely Wrong- Do I even need to explain
Shugomaru
- Ends in the Summer 2022 batch, after around 30 chapters. Gets a few color pages, but otherwise ranks pretty poorly and is a clear push from editorial
Partially True- It did end for the summer batch, but a little shy of 30. Does rank bad but editorial didn't really push it
Doron
- Ends in the spring 2022 batch
Mostly Wrong- It ended for the fall batch so not really close there
Other
:
14 new series next year Wrong, we got 11 (10 if you count using the Jump year)
At least 2 new sports serializations Wrong
At least 3 gag serializations, none of them are successful Wrong, we're only getting one right now
2 new U19 members Wrong, 0
Only 2 definitive hits, and one is from a relative newbie True, at least seemingly. Akane and Ruri, if we count Ruri as a relative newbie
Neither HxH or Burn the Witch return, and no news on the future of the Bleach manga Partially True, no BtW or Bleach Hell Arc, but HxH did return
Swordsmith Village is teased as a movie after S2 of KnY airs, movie set for 2023 Partially True, except it is S3 and not a movie
CSM anime airs, adapts the entire manga, and provides a strong boost. No Part 2 serialization, but it is teased for 2023 Mostly Wrong, does not seem to be a full adaptation, and boost isn't clear yet. Part 2 has been serialized
Kawada, Komi, and the Shokugeki duo all return next year Wrong, none have returned
SxF anime provides moderate boost, but doesn’t go too far past pre-anime sales Wrong, boost was stronger
Kajiu 8 begins to slightly decline, anime announcement for 2023 airing Mostly True, it has declined and anime is announced
Dandadan continues its success, hits about 150k monthly Partially True, it is still successful, but mostly stagnant
Another new J+ series will be a massive hit Mostly True, Takopii counts I guess
Wildcard- Pigeon-Sensei blesses us with a new series, but not in WSJ Mostly wrong, no new series, but I think he did post a one-shot on J+
Got a ton wrong hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.