Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2022) - News and Discussion | Page 280 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2022) - News and Discussion

Which of the new series you're most excited for? (You can vote in 2 series at most)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aeneas

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
When Ayashimon was announced, I said he should take more time after HP. Not again... :emocat

Hopefully it's Jump+ or a monthly mag.

Pietro

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Seems like is called "THE FIRST SLAM DUNK"

--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Okaaay, seems like Kaku Yuji is working in a new series, i wonder where that will be published after the Ayashimon fiasco :whistle

he didn't take well the axe
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Weekly Shonen Jump #31/2022

MASHLE (Jump cover and lead color pages, TV Anime announcement)
Akane Banashi
Boku no Hero Academia
Nige Jouzu no Wakagimi
Sakamoto Days
Dr. Stone (Color Pages, 51 pages special chapter)
Witch Watch
ALIENS AREA

Undead Unluck
(Color Pages, 23 pages)
Ruri Dragon
PPPPPP

Blue Box (Color Pages)
Mission of Yozakura Family
Me and Roboko
Super Smartphone
Kokousei Kazoku
Doron Dororon
Children of the Earth

Jujutsu Kaisen (Break)
One Pice (Hiatus until issue #34/2022)
Black Clover (Hiatus)

Weekly Shonen Jump #32/2022 preview

Me and Roboko (Jump cover and lead color pages for its 2nd Anniversary)
Nige Jouzu no Wakagimi (Color Pages)
Super Smartphone
(Color Pages)
¿? (Color Pages, One-shot)
Boku no Hero Academia (Break)
One Pice (Hiatus until issue #34/2022)
Black Clover (Hiatus)
it seems we will have a 12 places TOC, until Ruri and Aliens get ranked and One piece and Black clover come back I'd say it's still too soon to say what will happen (except EC axe)

ItsSamu

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Happy days! Akane Banashi getting top spot in the TOC, first volume looking to hit 30k, Me & Roboco Cover + Lead CP again with rumours of it being live-action, PPPPPP rebounding (fingers crossing the volume this month gets a boost).

he didn't take well the axe
How is him moving on to another series not taking an axe well? Surely not taking it well would being stuck in the mud compared to moving on to something else to work on instead?

it seems we will have a 12 places TOC, until Ruri and Aliens get ranked and One piece and Black clover come back I'd say it's still too soon to say what will happen (except EC axe)
Whether it's 12 ranked series or 15 (which it would be if One Piece, Jujutsu Kaisen, and Black Clover weren't on break this week) it doesn't matter because they would all be above the series at the bottom so they'd still be in the same bad spots at the end of the TOC.

But what's important to remember is if the magazine needs to cut two series for the next serialisation round it will do that regardless of how many series there are in total that are 'ranked'. Earthchild and Doron Dororon are clearly the next on the block when that needs to happen (both of their volumes sales are poor, Doron showed no growth in Vol 2 specifically, Earthchild's early decent placements have collapsed, and Doron also has the worst average TOC ranking of anything ongoing). If for some reason they only cancel one next round then whatever sticks around would be surviving purely by circumstance rather than its own merits.

Looking further beyond on the established series we know are ending, my predictions at the moment for when (roughly) they'll end will be:
  • Undead Unluck - 2 serialisations rounds from now (#47-#50, 2022)
  • Mashle - 3 serialisation rounds from now (#7-#9, 2023)
  • My Hero Academia - 3/4 serialisation round from now (either #7-#9 or #18-21, 2023)
Personally I'd predict the only series from what we currently have joining them and getting cancelled in that time would be Doron Dororon, Earthchild, and then maybe Super Smartphone/ALIENS AREA. You'd think High School Family would be in danger at some point but doesn't feel like it and it's defined survival odds going on three years now. Only other thing that could realistically join them is a mega flop that starts next serialisation round.

Come mid-2023 we should be a looking at a younger magazine in general. We'll have:

Veterans (all in their endgame, they could start ending in the next 2-5 years):
  • One Piece
  • Black Clover
  • Jujutsu Kaisen
Semi-veteran (around 175 chapters):
  • Mission: Yozakura Family
Established series (between 100 - 140 chapters):
  • Me & Roboco
  • High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku
  • Sakamoto Days
  • The Elusive Samurai
  • WITCH WATCH
  • Blue Box
2022 successes/survivors (between 45-70 chapters)
  • PPPPPP
  • Akane Banashi
  • Super Smartphone (if it survives)
  • ALIENS AREA (if it survives)
  • RuriDragon (I'm going to take a very safe bet than this will survive)
And then about 5 - 6 new series that haven't been serialised yet, all below 40 chapters. At this point unless we get a lot of late-2022 hits I think next year could look to be one where anything outside of this newcomer category will have a very good shot of making it through 2023, assuming there's no major collapses in popularity or they don't end naturally.

Last edited:

KagamiKuroko

Reaction score
Country
United States
Nah good for him, hopefully he's back with Lin, plus its not like he's set for life from Hells Paradise so he's gotta keep earning

Aeneas

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Nah good for him, hopefully he's back with Lin, plus its not like he's set for life from Hells Paradise so he's gotta keep earning
Though Sakakibara was in charge for most of the series. And we still don't know who Kaku worked with on Ayashimon.

And don't mangaka get a salary even when they're not publishing a series? Maybe I'm misremembering that.

Mammo

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I was reading about how that game Megaton Musashi is going free-to-play, and I remember there was supposed to be a tie-in manga by Shueisha. Some posters from last year's thread were expecting it to come to Weekly Shonen Jump, but it never arrived. To be honest I never believed SJ would publish it, and I thought it would go to V Jump or Shonen Jump +.

However, it never came out anywhere. The game released November and had a tie-in anime, but no manga in sight.

The game going F2P likely means it failed to meet expectations, so I assume whatever manga was in the works is cancelled? I'm glad Shueisha didn't waste a slot in this magazine for it.
they specifically said it's a multimedia project game/anime/manga and the manga will be in WSJ
the game and anime came out the manga never did and after all this time we can safely assume it's never coming out
the official Japanese website doesn't have a manga section but interestingly enough the English says it's coming soon (they have been saying that for ages so it might be an update issue)

anyway, moving away from Level 5 shitting the bed yet again, I would like Jump to take a better shot at the multimedia/videogame tie-ins thing again
Dragon Quest was great, Blue Dragon not so much

Reactions: TiC

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Hi guys, please vote in the MH Poll and also read the rules change regarding the extra series, thanks!

MANGAHELPERS "TOC" POLL ISSUE #29 & #30 (2022) - VOTING

After a little break last week, the MH ToC is back, you can vote HERE!

Please read the part of the post about the changes regarding the extra series going to 10 to 25 J Points and the new rules, is important before voting, i hope you all enjoy!

Good votes!

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Bleach: Thousand Year Blood War anime PV

Seems like they're going to expand the arc in the anime with new fights supervised by Tite Kubo

Bleach has 130.000.000 million copies in circulation worldwide

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
It's a nice coincidence to have the new (presumably) long running Bleach anime starting right as Dragon Quest Dai will be ending. A small chain of sorts of jump battle shounen.

I wonder how long it'll be anyway, if they're expanding fights and adding stuff from the side novels.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Honestly i wouldnt be surprised at all if this lead to a full Hell arc anime sequel with Kubo writing, this anime will obviously be successful and Kubo literally started a new arc with that one shot but it doesnt look like he's in a hurry to publish a sequel to that, not to mention Burn The Witch is also forgotten, so going anime route seems like the best way.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
lol you didn't read the one shot?

I am not so sure about this
About being successful? That's pretty much guaranteed, worldwide license alone will already make the anime very lucrative, the original Bleah anime still one of the most lucrative series for TV Tokyo in every yearly financial report. If is about getting a anime sequel, is just a matter of Shueisha and Kubo wanting or not more money.

TiC

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Kubo has a pattern recently, he released Burn the Witch in August 2020, new Bleach chapter in August 2021, and I bet he comes back next month for something.

Will it be the long-awaited Burn the Witch Season 2 or the long-awaited Hell arc of Bleach or something else? I'm betting he will do a Gaiden chapter set during the Thousand Year Blood War arc so as to tie in to the anime, maybe focused on fleshing out the Sternritter some more.

Neala897

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
About being successful? That's pretty much guaranteed, worldwide license alone will already make the anime very lucrative, the original Bleah anime still one of the most lucrative series for TV Tokyo in every yearly financial report.
You do remember how BADLY manga sellings dropped? Thats pretty good reason why. Because quality of writing just went way worse. Of course bleach was long runner and that is the reason too but drop in writing is the main factor in my option. You cant redo this in few additional scenes because setup itself not that good.
If is about getting a anime sequel, is just a matter of Shueisha and Kubo wanting or not more money.
Well then why not making it earlier? This project albeit commercial of course feels to me more like a token of respect for franchise and fans rather than great business opportunity.

galaxy-juice

Reaction score
Country
United States
You do remember how BADLY manga sellings dropped? Thats pretty good reason why. Because quality of writing just went way worse. Of course bleach was long runner and that is the reason too but drop in writing is the main factor in my option. You cant redo this in few additional scenes because setup itself not that good.

Well then why not making it earlier? This project albeit commercial of course feels to me more like a token of respect for franchise and fans rather than great business opportunity.
Burn the Witch was a remarkably lucrative short series. Kubo's name still carries a lot of weight. This could absolutely be a great business opportunity, depending on what they have lined up. Maybe not what exactly Reborn described, but it would be a waste not to do anything at all.

Shinji Hirako

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don’t believe Bleach was brought back as a token of respect. Did sales decline, of course and it’s undeniable. However, we are not in the same era anymore as the original anime ended 10 years ago.

Streaming services are bigger than ever and there is serious money to be made globally from streaming alone. Then you factor in the nostalgia aspect, fans have literally been begging for its return and Bleach trends on Twitter worldwide quite often. The license is already popular and as reborn said it still appears in TV Tokyo’s top anime licenses list.

Remember, Nakano wanted Kubo to do Burn The Witch and it was his idea to pair it up with a film. To me it looks like Shueisha value Kubo and believe in the success of his IP’s. This isn’t a case of pitying Kubo and letting him have an anime as a sign of respect, it’s a full blown project they believe and expect will make them money.

Neala897

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Streaming services are bigger than ever and there is serious money to be made globally from streaming alone. Then you factor in the nostalgia aspect, fans have literally been begging for its return and Bleach trends on Twitter worldwide quite often. The license is already popular and as reborn said it still appears in TV Tokyo’s top anime licenses list.
Thats exactly what I meant when wrote its still business opportunity. In fact streaming popularity is probably why this project is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.