Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2023) - News and Discussion! | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2023) - News and Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP (2023) - NEWS AND DISCUSSION

Welcome to the 2023 thread for news and discussions of the Weekly Shonen Jump magazine!

Shonen Jump is a weekly magazine published by Shueisha since 1968, It's the biggest manga magazine in Japan, the home of many of the biggest manga & anime classics in Japan history with the current print circulation around 1.2 million copies per Issue + 700k digital copies being sold every week. Despite being a magazine part of the shounen demographic which focuses in the kids & teenagers audience, a very good portion of the current readers are young & older adults, also many female readers too.

The current line up:

1. One Piece by Eiichiro Oda (1997)
2. Hunter x Hunter by Yoshihiro Togashi (1998)
3. My Hero Academia by Kohei Horikoshi (2014)
4. Black Clover by Yuki Tabata (2015)
5. Jujutsu Kaisen by Gege Akutami (2018)
6. Mission: Yozakura Family by Hitsuji Gondaira (2019)
7. Undead Unluck by Yoshifumi Tozuka (2020)
8. Mashle by Hajime Komoto (2020)
9. Me & Roboco by Shuhei Miyazaki (2020)
10. Burn The Witch by Tite Kubo (2020) - Irregular Serialization
11. High School Family by Nakama Ryo (2020)
12. Sakamoto Days by Yuto Suzuki (2020)
13. The Elusive Samurai by Yusei Matsui (2021)
14. Witch Watch by Kenta Shinohara (2021)
15. Blue Box by Koji Miura (2021)
16. PPPPPP by Mapollo 3 (2021)
17. Akane Banashi by Yuki Suenaga & Takamasa Moue (2022)
18. Ruri Dragon by Masaoki Shindo (2022) - Hiatus
19. Tokyo Demon Bride Story by Tadaichi Nakama (2022)
20. Ginka & Glüna by Shinpei Watanabe (2022)
21. The Ichinose Family's Deadly Sins by Taizan5 (2022)
22. Cipher Academy by Nisio Isin & Yuuji Iwasaki (2022)
23. Ichigoki's Under Control!! by Seiji Hayashi (2022)
24. Jinzō Ningen 100 by Daisuke Enoshima (2022)

Important to remember:
this thread, like always, is to discuss the news, updates, ToC and everything related to the Weekly Shonen Jump magazine, discussions or comments that are not about WSJ or bring nothing more than a potential derail or heat discussions between members will be stop/deleted, and also remember, this isn't a "chapter" discussion thread, so avoid making too much "in depth" discussions/comments about the content of X manga chapter, specially mangas with over 3 volumes, but if needed, hide under the spoiler tags please.

That's it, good discussions and have fun! :kkthumbs

Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP 2023 - PREDICTIONS!

All members, feel free to make your official 2023 list of predictions, you can of course include Jump Festa predictions for December since it falls into the beggining of the 2023 fiscal year.

Also, any member that didn't posted checking their 2022 prediction yet, you still can post here, just copy your predictions from the 2022 thread

Obs: Remember, refrain from mocking or criticizing any prediction from others, each member has the right to make whatever prediction they want even if something alsmost certain isn't going to happen, ok? so let's go!

shonenblue

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Mariejoa
WOOO FIRST REPLY! :hip So excited for this year of Jump. This’ll be my first time making predictions for the year, I fully expect to be absolutely wrong on a lot of them but hey, that’s part of the fun!

2023 PREDICTIONS…
One Piece will continue thundering on, entering its next big arc. I expect some crazy revelations along the way.

Hunter x Hunter will return with its second batch of chapters (401-410) towards the latter half of the year. I predict the flashback currently taking place will fill out the current batch.

My Hero Academia, Mashle: Magic and Muscles, and Undead Unluck will all reach natural conclusions. The former 2 in the first half of the year, the latter in the back half. UU will get a big boost in sales from its anime adaptation. Mashle will get a boost as well, but it has a lower ceiling of growth.

Jujutsu Kaisen and Black Clover will continue their story, both of them heading towards an end. I don’t read the latter, but I still lightly follow all of the series in Jump I don’t read. I feel like both have enough content to cover the year, though I wouldn’t at all be suprised if they end in the first few weeks/months of 2024.

Mission: Yozakura Family will finally get its anime, along with a slight boost in sales, though nothing super significant. I feel like Gondaira can continue the story for another couple of years if he chooses too.

High School Family: Kokosei Kazoku will end as well (who knows though, it’s a resilient mf). Me & Roboco will continue as Jump’s new signature gag series.

Sakamoto Days, The Elusive Samurai, Witch Watch, Blue Box, PPPPPP, and Akane-banashi will all continue to fill out the bulk of the magazine’s spots. I predict various anime announcements among them (namely SD, TES, WW, and BB). P6 will continue having a small but loyal fanbase/cult following and will end in 2024, and Akane will continue cementing itself as a new near-pillar/pillar. Sakamoto Days will hit new highs with the anime announcement, proving itself to be an even bigger seller.

RuriDragon will return (please), but will be moved to Jump+, whether it’s as soon as it comes back or a little later on. It’s got a massive start on sales, maybe even enough for Jump to let it keep going on hiatus and returning for however long Shindou can keep working on it, but I feel a move makes the most sense in the long run. Either way, I love it and want Shindou to rest & get well and take as long as he needs to.

Tokyo Demon Bride Story and Ginka & Glüna will both end. TDBS is absolutely next on the chopping block. G&G miiiiiight last a tad longer, possibly through the first half of the year, but I just don’t feel like it has enough legs to become a long-runner, especially as the magazine tightens.

The Ichinose Family’s Deadly Sins will be a success though it’ll remain divisive, Cipher Academy will either be a bottom dweller for a while or simply axed unless I’m underestimating NisioIsin’s fanbase (I probably am), Ichigoki’s Under Control will be U19, and I predict Android 100 will be a flop & probably a trainwreck before I even see a page of it.

• As for what’s to come, I predict we’ll get several attempts at battle shonen, some of which will stick, hopefully one will become the next “big thing” (a la MHA, CSM, JJK, Demon Slayer). Speaking of Demon Slayer (which I still haven’t gotten around to watching/reading much), I expect Gotogue will return this year. We’ll also get a couple spokon, hopefully Harukaze Mound from Phantom Seer duo. I also predict Food Wars duo & Kuroko’s Basketball mangaka will return.

I’ll update more if I can think of any. Pumped for 2023, I feel a great year coming! :)

Last edited:

Stivie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
And do you think the opinion on this forum is absolute?

I already had people defending works that had dubious quality and also dubious choices by the magazine's editors. On twitter there are a lot of people praising it.

And I disagree with your argument that it is good to have exaggerated in comedies and not in dramas, mainly because in the current jump series are so exaggerated that it is difficult to distinguish what is comedy and what is not, which makes my comparison valid. with Ruri dragon, and you complain about the attitudes of Tsubasa's room at the ichinose family and accept the lack of fear of ruri's colleagues, which makes it clear that you are looking for any reason to cancel the series.

Wanting to show that the MC's room only has sadistic people is interesting and will even be a relief when a decent person appears.

Samurai 8 already showed problems from the beginning of the story and even in the art, and ichinose doesn't try to be so different from Takopi, which is no problem since takopi was successful, it's like witch watch that only emulates sket dance for a good part of time.

FireFantasyVI

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
One Piece- Remains on pace to end around ~2027 with roughly the same brake frequency as last year. We arrive at Elbaf at some point next year and are there into 2024
MHA- Ends in the Spring, and sales continue to increase after it ends. S7 and a movie are announced
BC- Continues roughly as it is in both sales and rankings, looks to be on pace to end in later 2024. Movie provides a small boost, and no new anime
JJK- S2 provides a moderate boost, and it remains a pillar of the magazine. Is approaching it’s climax by the end of the year on track to end 2024
Yozakura- Anime is announced for fall 2023. Series remains in the middle of the magazine with roughly the same amount of color pages, but sales continue to decline. Looks to end in early 2024. Could also see it ending sometime around its 4th anniversary (Don’t read this anymore so not as confident in these)
Undead- Anime provides no boost, and sales and rankings continue to be poor, however it reaches a natural conclusion in the fall
Mashle- Ends in the Spring. Anime provides a small boost
Roboco- Continues as it has been as a mid ranker with solid promotion, but doesn’t really translate into sales. Second season of shorts announced
HSF- Manages to survive the year, but it reaches its 3rd year before the end of the year and seems likely to end in 2024. Sales do not increase and it ranks frequently near the bottom. No anime announced. I could see it ending but I’ll believe it when I see it
Sakamoto- Continues to be pushed as a top contender, and sales remain stable, with an anime announced for 2024
Elusive- Remains roughly as it is, sales decline but not enough to put it in danger as its rankings are solid. No anime announcement
Witch- Sales see some slight growth, and rankings remain near the top. Anime is announced late in the year
Blue Box- Sales show some slight decline, but remains one of the top series in the magazine. Anime announced
P6- Remains near the bottom of the ToC and sales begin to stagnate, but it isn’t in any danger. No anime, and looks to end naturally in 2024 as a shorter series
Akane- Continues to grow into a pillar of the magazine, however sales only slightly increase over the year
Ruri- Does return briefly during the year, but leaves once enough chapters for a volume are out. Does not return again during the year, and seems likely to transfer to J+ before returning again
Oniyome- Axed in February
Ginka- Axed in February
Ichinose- Strong initial reception, but settles into the middle of the magazine by the Summer. Sales are solid in the 40k range and looks to be a safe hit
Cipher Academy- Decent reception, but ranks towards the middle/bottom. Sales are okay, but the series largely survives due to the established series ending this year. Fate is ambiguous going into 2024
Ichigoki- Not an immediate flop, but fails to garner much traction and ends in the Summer
Jinzou Ningen- Ends in the Spring
HxH- Goes on a brief break after this batch, and another batch of 10 comes in the Summer. No more chapters after that, but things point to another batch in 2024
12 New series next year
Fujimaki, Kawada, Miura, and Shokugeki Duo return
Only 1 new gag series, is not successful
1 new sports series
No Burn The Witch, but Kubo does another One-Shot

Archaon

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
And do you think the opinion on this forum is absolute?

I already had people defending works that had dubious quality and also dubious choices by the magazine's editors. On twitter there are a lot of people praising it.

And I disagree with your argument that it is good to have exaggerated in comedies and not in dramas, mainly because in the current jump series are so exaggerated that it is difficult to distinguish what is comedy and what is not, which makes my comparison valid. with Ruri dragon, and you complain about the attitudes of Tsubasa's room at the ichinose family and accept the lack of fear of ruri's colleagues, which makes it clear that you are looking for any reason to cancel the series.

Wanting to show that the MC's room only has sadistic people is interesting and will even be a relief when a decent person appears.

Samurai 8 already showed problems from the beginning of the story and even in the art, and ichinose doesn't try to be so different from Takopi, which is no problem since takopi was successful, it's like witch watch that only emulates sket dance for a good part of time.
First, about the usage of exaggeration, I never say that exeggeration isn't good in drama, what I said is that in difference genres, the amount that can be use is difference and not the same. The issue here, again, is too much exaggeration which undermined the intended message. It's like cooking, you can add salt in both cake and soup but clearly you can't add the same amount of salt in both.

Second, about Ruri Dragon. You do know that they aren't the same genre, right? Like I said, difference stories, have difference tones thus require difference approach. Ruri tone is light-hearted SoL so they do not have to care about the realistic implication of things. Meanwhile IchiFamily is a drama/mystery series so it require a more grounded approach since well...drama is inherited connected to the human experience. When you go too far, it stop been able to connect to the human experience, the bullying is so over the top that most people just can't see it happen in real life and connect with it. The way that everyone just turn around 180' is so jaring that no one can buy that this is what kids would do, especially when they themselves also participate in it the previous day. And if people don't buy it then your drama attempt failed

Third, I only bring up Samurai 8 as an example of just because the author is doing what he want doesn't automatically make it good.

Lastly, I never said that will be cancelled, it just pointed out the problem with the writing so far. Every series have flaws, there no such thing as perfect series.

Last edited:

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
First, about the usage of exaggeration, I never say that exeggeration isn't good in drama, what I said is that in difference genres, the amount that can be use is difference and not the same. The issue here, again, is too much exaggeration which undermined the intended message. It's like cooking, you can add salt in both cake and soup but clearly you can't add the same amount of salt in both.

Second, about Ruri Dragon. You do know that they aren't the same genre, right? Like I said, difference stories, have difference tones thus require difference approach. Ruri tone is light-hearted SoL so they do not have to care about the realistic implication of things. Meanwhile IchiFamily is a drama/mystery series so it require a more grounded approach since well...drama is inherited connected to the human experience. When you go too far, it stop been able to connect to the human experience, the bullying is so over the top that most people just can't see it happen in real life and connect with it. The way that everyone just turn around 180' is so jaring that no one can buy that this is what kids would do, especially when they themselves also participate in it the previous day. And if people don't buy it then your drama attempt failed

Third, I only bring up Samurai 8 as an example of just because the author is doing what he want doesn't automatically make it good.

Lastly, I never said that will be cancelled, it just pointed out the problem with the writing so far. Every series have flaws, there no such thing as perfect series.
first of all not everything in ichinose family is this exaggeration you are pointing out;
Earlier, when the class received the news about Tsubasa's amnesia, they didn't jump in to intimidate Tsubasa, only Nakajima and his companions made an effort to resume their previous behavior.
The others were just apprehensive. Which is natural for people who don't want to be victims. I don't think you were reading the manga so carefully. So what happens in Chapter 3 is plausible.

And about Ruri dragon, even though it's a slice of life, it doesn't mean an excuse for not being coherent. It's a manga that talks about acceptance, but in stories with this theme you also have to show rejection and show some people afraid of it would be the most natural. Even being a slice of life, the manga is much more realistic than most of the jump works, except for the blue box.

Archaon

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
first of all not everything in ichinose family is this exaggeration you are pointing out;
Earlier, when the class received the news about Tsubasa's amnesia, they didn't jump in to intimidate Tsubasa, only Nakajima and his companions made an effort to resume their previous behavior.
The others were just apprehensive. Which is natural for people who don't want to be victims. I don't think you were reading the manga so carefully. So what happens in Chapter 3 is plausible.

And about Ruri dragon, even though it's a slice of life, it doesn't mean an excuse for not being coherent. It's a manga that talks about acceptance, but in stories with this theme you also have to show rejection and show some people afraid of it would be the most natural. Even being a slice of life, the manga is much more realistic than most of the jump works, except for the blue box.
1. Everyone jump on Nakajima right after Tsubasa talk back to him is not normal. Most people would stay the fuck away because it not their problem, especially the people who don't want to be the victims because if they actually joined in they would subject themselves to be punish by the teachers or revenge. They would not jump in and start bully the other guy the following day.

2. Again, Ruri isn't taking itself too serious and so the tone isn't serious. Again, it's the tone that the story established for itself. After a story established it tone (usually by chapter 1), people can adjust their suspension of disbelief to suited the series, the issue with IchiFam 3rd chapter is the exaggeration in that chapter exceed the suspension of disbelief that was set by chapter 1.

Last edited:

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
1. Everyone jump on Nakajima right after Tsubasa talk back to him is not normal. Most people would stay the fuck away because it not their problem, especially the people who don't want to be the victims because if they actually joined in they would subject themselves to be punish by the teachers or revenge. They would not jump in and start bully the other guy the following day.

2. Again, Ruri isn't taking itself too serious and so the tone isn't serious. Again, it's the tone that the story established for itself. After a story established it tone (usually by chapter 1), people can adjust their suspension of disbelief to suited the series, the issue with IchiFam 3rd chapter is the exaggeration in that chapter exceed the suspension of disbelief that was set by chapter 1.
Let's go that a video of Tsubasa facing Nakajima was remembered, at the moment when one faced the aggressor the others created courage, so that the construction is something that can die easily and with the leaked video from the kid I fell and no one else was afraid his.

Ruri dragon is serious, not serious like ichinose family but not a joke like Witch watch, robocco, HSF, oniyome den and this new magazine gag.
And you sure must have had your destruction not destroyed or something to say that the ichinose family is exaggeration and even if he is from the story it doesn't take the seriousness.

Giblow_20

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Predictions:
  • Mashle: Finishes in first half of the year
  • Yozakura: anime announcement, 2024 release. Ends in second half of the year
  • Undead Unluck: anime only brings slight sales boost, manga finishes first half of the year
  • BNHA: finishes in first half of the year. Third game announced for 2024
  • Ichigoki: not U19'd but ends in around 30 chapters
  • Ichinose: survives but lives at bottom of ToC
  • Cipher Academy: survives with middling success
  • Jinzou Ningen: U19'd
  • Sakamoto Days: anime announcement for 2024
  • JJK: Culling Game ends and final arc begins, heading to conclusion in 2024
  • Sports manga in next batch, the series survives (pls)
  • Kubo releases new Hellverse chapter (pls)
  • Roboco: Roboco appears on live TV show for an interview like a vtuber. Anime only slightly boosts sales (like +5k)
  • Shokugeki duo return (oneshot)
  • Promised Neverland duo return (oneshot)
  • Phantom Seer Duo return (series)
  • TDBS: axed around 30 chapters
  • PPPPPP: sees slight growth but never breaks out of lower middle of magazine. I want to guess enters final arc in second half of the year
  • Rural Dragon: returns (pls) and continues to sell like crazy
  • HxH: Leorio will make an appearance
  • One Piece: Oda reveals name of D island
  • BC: slight decrease in sales, movie releases with little fanfare because Netflix, set to end in 2024

Last edited:

Mammo

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
more horror/exorcists manga
new manga about hitmen, spies, assassins, yakuza etc trying to live normal lives (something like Sakamoto/Fable)
new manga about monster extermination unit (something like Kaiju8/ World Trigger)
new ping pong manga
new manga about manga making (something like Bakuman)
Kawada return
Tadatoshi Fujimaki return
Naoshi Komi return
Shuutarou Inui debut
Genki Ono (Full Drive) return
Kento Terasaka (Beast Children) return
Neverland duo return

Haruhisa Nakata (Levius) move to J+
Yuu Miki (Cyborg Roggy) move to J+
Hibito Sumi debut in J+
Shou Hirata debut in J+
Masa Oribe debut in J+
Akimasa Tokunaga debut in J+
Tasuku Fujiyama debut in J+

Archaon

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Let's go that a video of Tsubasa facing Nakajima was remembered, at the moment when one faced the aggressor the others created courage, so that the construction is something that can die easily and with the leaked video from the kid I fell and no one else was afraid his.

Ruri dragon is serious, not serious like ichinose family but not a joke like Witch watch, robocco, HSF, oniyome den and this new magazine gag.
And you sure must have had your destruction not destroyed or something to say that the ichinose family is exaggeration and even if he is from the story it doesn't take the seriousness.
1. Except that not how the story framed it, it not some heroic moment where the bullied stand up for himself and everyone follow his steps, it was framed as a negative thing as people switch their target to the other guy and he is now getting bully. Like the turn around is so sudden that it is jarring. It's like they're play tag and who ever got tagged got bullied.

2. Your words, Ruri Dragon isn't as serious as IchiFam. The first chapter established Ruri situation and how people react to it and the series build up from that. it basically set the rule for the universe the story taken place in is that people feel weird out but not overly hostile toward Ruri, that is the tone and the rule that the series go by.

Also I can't make out what you want to say in the last sentences.

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
1. Except that not how the story framed it, it not some heroic moment where the bullied stand up for himself and everyone follow his steps, it was framed as a negative thing as people switch their target to the other guy and he is now getting bully. Like the turn around is so sudden that it is jarring. It's like they're play tag and who ever got tagged got bullied.

2. Your words, Ruri Dragon isn't as serious as IchiFam. The first chapter established Ruri situation and how people react to it and the series build up from that. it basically set the rule for the universe the story taken place in is that people feel weird out but not overly hostile toward Ruri, that is the tone and the rule that the series go by.

Also I can't make out what you want to say in the last sentences.
. You ignored the part of the video that showed Nakajima being made fun of by Tsubasa, which makes everyone lose their fear of him making him the target of bullying the next day. Nowadays it is easy to destroy an individual's reputation with the help of social networks, there are several cases like this in the world. And the manga leaves clues that Tsubasa's attitude shows that he may have been someone "bad" in the past, his complaint has no logic.

2. Manga do not always follow what is established in the first chapter, otherwise Reborn would have continued as a comedy until the end, what happens in the first chapter of ruri dragon can easily change if the author wants.

Archaon

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
. You ignored the part of the video that showed Nakajima being made fun of by Tsubasa, which makes everyone lose their fear of him making him the target of bullying the next day. Nowadays it is easy to destroy an individual's reputation with the help of social networks, there are several cases like this in the world. And the manga leaves clues that Tsubasa's attitude shows that he may have been someone "bad" in the past, his complaint has no logic.

2. Manga do not always follow what is established in the first chapter, otherwise Reborn would have continued as a comedy until the end, what happens in the first chapter of ruri dragon can easily change if the author wants.
1. My problem is that everyone are into bullying and ready to switch target the next day. It waaaaay too fast and absurd. If it a couple of days later then I could buy that but not the next day. Also in real life people either condemn the bully or indifference to the event, not turn around and bully the bully.

2. That have no bearing on this conversation. What gonna happen to Ruri is in the unknow future. What we are talking about is the here and present and at the moment Ruri stuck to it tone. Yes, manga do changed it tone as it go along, but that doesn't mean the change happen quick but rather it's a process.

Tymano

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I didn't do any predictions last year, but I might as well do some this year.
One Piece won't be feel like it's any closer to ending at the end of this year
Hunter x hunter will go on hiatus after these 10 chapters, but it'll come back sometime during the summer or fall.
mha won't end, but it will be very close to ending
Black clover will have another hiatus sometime during the year
Jujutsu Kaisen will see the culling game end, but will have another arc start. Gojo will not be freed.
Yozakura family will have announced it's final arc during the year
UU, Mashle, and HSF will all end, the former two will end naturally, but the latter will be axed.
Sakamoto days will get an anime and be the next big thing
Elusive samurai will be close to ending by the end of the year, but will have an anime announced.
Witch Watch and Blue Box will both have anime announced and not be close to the ending.
p6 will still be running, and everyone will be asking "anime when" for it
Akane will have an anime announced
Ruri Dragon will come back, but then be transferred to plus.
Demon bride and Ginka will both be axed, but Ginka will last longer
Of the 4 new series, all but Cipher academy will be axed, Ichinose-ke will survive to the end of the year thanks to other stuff being axed.

2 new sports series, both axed.
No new successful battle series
We'll have a new gag at some point that lasts a while despite Stivie saying that it should be axed.
New successful SoL, and a new successful series in the same vein as Akane and p6
One successful plus author makes a series and gets axed.
One other veteren from the magazine, I think it'll likely by Fujimaki.

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
My predictions:
-Nak's reign of gagterror will end this summer, we'll get a new EiC who will try to get the next big action title to fill MHA's hole, so expect a lot of action axes in the second half of the year.
-My Hero Academia, MASHLE, and Undead Unluck not only are going to end in 2023; they are going to end practically in a close time. The 3 of them will last until the second semester of 2023.
-HunterxHunter won't go back to hiatus in a while, it can actually be here for a good time for once.
-No Kubo's return with Burn the Witch 2 or Bleach stuff this year neither.
-No other veterans are ending. No Yozakura, no PPPPPP, no Highschool Family.
-Both Shikigami and Harukaze Mound oneshots will be serialized.
-February batch will leave us a hit like it has always had in all the last years (except the two years that had a Shiibashi manga).
-Only 2 hits at most this year (with one of them being in the February batch, very likely being Shikigami or Harukaze Mound).
-A major veteran will start a serialization. Going to go with Fujimaki.
-SAKAMOTO DAYS, Blue Box, and The Elusive Samurai will get anime announcements.
-Akane Banashi will end consolidating itself as the next major thing, with potentially 3 covers minimum this year.
-Ichinose Family Sins will become the newest major thing too, with high ToC ranks and some Jump covers.
-Cipher Academy won't be axed but will be in the "Yozakura" tier.
-Ruri Dragon will go back from the hiatus in February-March. No cancellation, no transfers, it will likely fight with Sakamoto Days for the title of manga with most ToC 1st places after One Piece. It will have very few color pages though (a Gege situation with JJK here).

Last edited:

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
1. My problem is that everyone are into bullying and ready to switch target the next day. It waaaaay too fast and absurd. If it a couple of days later then I could buy that but not the next day. Also in real life people either condemn the bully or indifference to the event, not turn around and bully the bully.

2. That have no bearing on this conversation. What gonna happen to Ruri is in the unknow future. What we are talking about is the here and present and at the moment Ruri stuck to it tone. Yes, manga do changed it tone as it go along, but that doesn't mean the change happen quick but rather it's a process.
A bully can become the victim overnight, especially if there are other people who were victims of the bully and want revenge. Even if it's an inappropriate attitude. Life isn't all happiness and smiles are also pain and suffering, plus there are a lot of bullying-themed manga that are more exaggerated than ichinose family and are super serious, so it's not like ichinose is the most exaggerated thing there is.

That doesn't make ruri dragon a comedy, and it's like I said before acceptance, rejection needs to occur, which in a way is pretty implicit that Ruri will look for her father if she causes an incident that even her mother won't be able to reverse.

OtterBrigade

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Mashle/Undead pull a Demon Slayer/Yuuna and end 1 issue apart after starting 1 issue apart.
MHA ends later than everyone expects (almost 2024)
Yozakura gets anime announced at Jump Festa by a mid tier random studio to air in 2024
Sakamoto and Blue Box also get anime announced this year
Ruri comes back and moves to Jump SQ with regular breaks like World Trigger (just want to be different lol)
Usazaki publishes in Jump+ with a veteran author
Food Wars and TPN duos do not return (this means specifically as their duo. If say Tsukuda Yuto returns with a different artist I would still count this)
Robocco is the only current gag series series to still be running in a year

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Since we're in the 2023 topic now, what was everyone's favourite manga cancelled in 2022? Options are

• Magu-chan: God of Destruction
  • Ayashimon
  • Protect me! Shugomaru
  • Doron Dororon
  • Earthchild
  • Super Smartphone
  • Aliens Area

Magu-chan is the obvious choice of the bunch, being much longer than anything else and having a great finale, but if I had to pick something else it'd probably be Dororon. It was a pretty passable battle shounen up until it had to rush a final arc, while all the others failed at what they tried to do pretty badly.

PhinKin

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
2023 Predictions:
  • MHA, Mashle, Undead Unluck are ending, but that's a given. I'm guessing MHA will be the first to go, with Mashle close behind. Undead Unluck will be the last to leave, but they'll all be done by June.
  • One Piece will begin Elbaf in late spring and we'll be there through Fall, maybe jumping into the next arc by November.
  • Sakamoto Days and Akane Banashi will continue their ascension to the top of the magazine as major pillars, duking it out for top spots on the ToC with SD also getting an anime announcement.
  • The game of "who wants to be the next big battle manga?" will begin with anticipation of MHA ending. We'll see at least 6 new battle series try their hand, with one of them sticking around as a success.
    • One of those series will be themed around Gladiators.
  • Black Clover anime will not be returning. Perriot will only announce its return after they're done with Bleach.
  • We'll get at least two new sports series entering the magazine, with one of them being axed. The other will continue on. It could be Harukaze Mound, but I could also see someone trying their hand at a boxing series.
  • Completely random, but I predict that we'll get a new series focused on aviation.
  • Blue Box will get an anime announcement in Summer. Elusive Samurai and Witch Watch will get announcements in early Fall.
  • Jujutsu Kaisen and Black Clover will continue on through the year for a 2024 end goal.
  • Hunter x Hunter will go back on a short hiatus in January, but it'll be back within 3 months to return in April. <- unfounded, but I could still see it happening.
  • Ichinose will be a success, but not huge.
  • Cipher Academy will stick around for 30 chapters but will be axed after that.
  • High School Family could come to an end toward the end of Summer, but there will already be another new comedy series in the magazine to fill its spot by the time it leaves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.