Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump (2023) - News and Discussion! | Page 81 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump (2023) - News and Discussion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mankichi Togawa

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Spain
So, in this week chapter of Yozakura,

a timeskip of 5 years is happening

OtterBrigade

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Full adaptation then.
I wouldn't say that makes it more or less likely (unless said time skip means its ending very soon). For example the time skip is happening 15 chapters short of Assassination Classroom's end which took 47 episodes to adapt (I believe it skipped some of the slice of life stuff like people are expecting Yozakura to do) and since Yozakura is very unlikely to get almost a year straight broadcast it would either require skipping a lot or do two 24 episode seasons which they would probably only do if the first is successful.

Dippy Fresh

Reaction score
Country
United States
i Know this is a random question, but I’ve been noticing with newer series on jump seem like they distant themselves from being mature/dark atm. As if they can’t pull the hard punches to really show a series is different. Fabricant 100 for instance to me should be a lot darker than it is. Making each Fabricant super disturbing with grotesque abilities along with the main protagonist to be deeply disturbed than he actually is. I mean he saw his whole family be but he red alive right in front of him, leaving him to only watch in horror. His psyche should be so f-d. But, it’s like it’s not a big deal. We don’t see him deeply want revenge or have such a rooted hatred for fabricants. It’s like a good set up for a anti hero character but he is soo boring. The way he explored this whole dilemma he looks so disinterested in everything. It’s maybe just me or some of these new series aren’t able to go to it’s fill potential because it may be too mature. Is it like that or am I just overthinking it?
Along with everything that was said, I want to preface by saying I'm a fan of F100, so my counterargument may be a bit biased. But in terms of your question in relation to that series:
I don't think each Fabricant being grotesque is really the point. They're supposed to be sorta the next generation or the ideal human being. If they were nothing like humanity it would kinda defeat that purpose. Not to mention, many of them kinda blend in with society. Sure, the stiches give it away but from a distance they look just like a regular human which is really disturbing once you realize they can probably kill you once they see you. As for Ashibi not being as distrubed himself, it goes both ways. Yes, he could be a bit more disturbed but also as Shinuki pointed out, that trope gets old fast. He's also a kid which I think lends itself for him being more aloof and less messed up. The latest chapters show that he does get anxiety and trauma from being reminded of his past but imo, he kinda removes himself from it to not feel anything about it, but I don't necessarily disagree with that point. Also, gotta remember that this whole series is ABOUT his revenge. We don't need to be reminded every week that he's angry at the fabricants. It's very much implied with him literally giving his body up to 100 that he's willing to risk it all to kill every fabricant.

As for Jump in general, it's a hard question. I've put on record that I started reading weekly during the Red Hood serialization round in 2021. Since then, I don't think there's really been a series that is as dark as you've been claiming from a premise standpoint, with the closest probably being F100. The rest were either not related to that at all or used it more as a device rather than a core theme. As for F100, while it lends itself to being darker, as I kinda indicated above, imo, it more uses it for stylistic elements rather than an integral narrative device. That's why there are episodes that are more set pieces. It isn't like TPN, where its dark nature is literally an integral part of what the series identity is. If we never saw people die on screen or blood was censored from F100 in a HUGE censorship push, it doesn't impact the storytelling. It impacts the emphasis it has on the audience, but it doesn't impact the story. In general, what I'm saying is, F100 uses its horror more as a tease rather than as a device. Whether that was Enoshima's original plan or not? Idk. But at least in this forum, it hasn't impacted his way of telling the story too much. And as I've said before, no other serialization has gotten closer to a "dark" tone than F100 (maybe Super Smartphone but that's a stretch)

ViraXVtuber

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Along with everything that was said, I want to preface by saying I'm a fan of F100, so my counterargument may be a bit biased. But in terms of your question in relation to that series:
I don't think each Fabricant being grotesque is really the point. They're supposed to be sorta the next generation or the ideal human being. If they were nothing like humanity it would kinda defeat that purpose. Not to mention, many of them kinda blend in with society. Sure, the stiches give it away but from a distance they look just like a regular human which is really disturbing once you realize they can probably kill you once they see you. As for Ashibi not being as distrubed himself, it goes both ways. Yes, he could be a bit more disturbed but also as Shinuki pointed out, that trope gets old fast. He's also a kid which I think lends itself for him being more aloof and less messed up. The latest chapters show that he does get anxiety and trauma from being reminded of his past but imo, he kinda removes himself from it to not feel anything about it, but I don't necessarily disagree with that point. Also, gotta remember that this whole series is ABOUT his revenge. We don't need to be reminded every week that he's angry at the fabricants. It's very much implied with him literally giving his body up to 100 that he's willing to risk it all to kill every fabricant.

As for Jump in general, it's a hard question. I've put on record that I started reading weekly during the Red Hood serialization round in 2021. Since then, I don't think there's really been a series that is as dark as you've been claiming from a premise standpoint, with the closest probably being F100. The rest were either not related to that at all or used it more as a device rather than a core theme. As for F100, while it lends itself to being darker, as I kinda indicated above, imo, it more uses it for stylistic elements rather than an integral narrative device. That's why there are episodes that are more set pieces. It isn't like TPN, where its dark nature is literally an integral part of what the series identity is. If we never saw people die on screen or blood was censored from F100 in a HUGE censorship push, it doesn't impact the storytelling. It impacts the emphasis it has on the audience, but it doesn't impact the story. In general, what I'm saying is, F100 uses its horror more as a tease rather than as a device. Whether that was Enoshima's original plan or not? Idk. But at least in this forum, it hasn't impacted his way of telling the story too much. And as I've said before, no other serialization has gotten closer to a "dark" tone than F100 (maybe Super Smartphone but that's a stretch)
Ok good point, I’m just saying that it looks like series such as Death Note, Chainsaw Man, Bastard, and even Promised Neverland can’t seem to run on normal jump anymore. Is this due to a new envoirment culture with editors or jump in general? Because Jump Plus can run mature stories that makes some series even better.

Dippy Fresh

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok good point, I’m just saying that it looks like series such as Death Note, Chainsaw Man, Bastard, and even Promised Neverland can’t seem to run on normal jump anymore. Is this due to a new envoirment culture with editors or jump in general? Because Jump Plus can run mature stories that makes some series even better.
It's prob a combination of both, at least imo. Yes Jump+ can be more mature, there's a reason why Ayakashi moved there after all. But, tbf, you also mentioned 4 series that, for the most part, are also widely spread out time wise. Just goes to show that Jump doesn't necessarily serialize a whole bunch and when they do, it's not too often. Meaning, there could be a darker toned series in the near future, we just won't see it happen every year or even until a few years between serializations

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Yeah, Bastard, Death Note, Neverland, and Chainsawman are pretty much all from different decades, and Chainsawman only finished part 1 in 2021. That's very recent.

Really dark or grotesque series have never been common in WSJ at any point.

BX-02BLODIA

Reaction score
Country
United States
There's a good decades long gap inbeween most of those you listed. It's not that they can't run per say, but rather probably the author second guessing in thinking it may not be a fit for Jump. More gung-ho authors just push for it and sooner or later it goes in the "yes" pile.
I contend the Bastard classification however. The series may be gratuitous in it's content: but that's the thing. It revels in being a goofy, schlocky ride that although peppered in some dark tonality with the setting, ultimately is a blackish comedy, at least at first.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
So, in this week chapter of Yozakura,

a timeskip of 5 years is happening
Pretty obvious it was going to happen in 1/3 chapters, excited to see how they're looking.

Full adaptation then.
Very doubtful that Silver Link is going to adapt almost 200 chapters in 1 season even if is 24 episodes
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Btw, spoilers of TDBS, G&G and Ichigoki were posted, and welp, Ichigoki is totally ending, they just graduated from school.

Last edited:

galaxy-juice

Reaction score
Country
United States
Jump doesn't get much darker than Chainsaw Man, especially at the start.
Fabricant 100 was never about a dark and brooding anti-hero, even when it won GFC. It nothing to do with the culture or the editors, and has everything to do with the author.

It appears that Fabricant 100 wants to appeal to a mainstream battle series audience (OP, MHA, the like), which is younger and therefore less violent by nature. With so many on their way out, that may (or may not) be the best strategy for Fabricant 100 to survive. But there is plenty of opportunity for it to become darker later on if the author chooses to do so.

There is no evidence that "newer series on jump seem like they distant themselves from being mature/dark atm". I don't think you can or should extrapolate your feelings about that specific series to the entirety of Jump.

Very doubtful that Silver Link is going to adapt almost 200 chapters in 1 season even if is 24 episodes

Btw, spoilers of TDBS, G&G and Ichigoki were posted, and welp, Ichigoki is totally ending, they just graduated from school.
I wonder if that means Cipher is safe for at least one more batch? At the very least, they need something to axe next time.

ViraXVtuber

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Jump doesn't get much darker than Chainsaw Man, especially at the start.

Fabricant 100 was never about a dark and brooding anti-hero, even when it won GFC. It nothing to do with the culture or the editors, and has everything to do with the author.

It appears that Fabricant 100 wants to appeal to a mainstream battle series audience (OP, MHA, the like), which is younger and therefore less violent by nature. With so many on their way out, that may (or may not) be the best strategy for Fabricant 100 to survive. But there is plenty of opportunity for it to become darker later on if the author chooses to do so.

There is no evidence that "newer series on jump seem like they distant themselves from being mature/dark atm". I don't think you can or should extrapolate your feelings about that specific series to the entirety of Jump.

I wonder if that means Cipher is safe for at least one more batch? At the very least, they need something to axe next time.
I wasnt trying to assume anything, it was more trying to figure out what my personal confusion was with the future of these new series. To see if it was only me who thought of the idea to see if Jump forces series to dye down mature tones due to some in office pattern of sorts. So, I’m glad that you those here have proved me wrong. I guess it’s just me, I'm just looking forward to a series that’s willing to take a risk and not play safe.

I think we can all agree that most of these new series are not all that cracked up to be. Demon Bride, GG, and others haven’t really marked it’s own identity to take on becoming a longer member of Shonen Jump.

galaxy-juice

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think we can all agree that most of these new series are not all that cracked up to be. Demon Bride, GG, and others haven’t really marked it’s own identity to take on becoming a longer member of Shonen Jump.
Yes, but that is true of most new series. There are rarely more than 2 successes out of 12-15 serializations per year.

I wasnt trying to assume anything, it was more trying to figure out what my personal confusion was with the future of these new series. To see if it was only me who thought of the idea to see if Jump forces series to dye down mature tones due to some in office pattern of sorts. So, I’m glad that you those here have proved me wrong. I guess it’s just me, I'm just looking forward to a series that’s willing to take a risk and not play safe.
I understand where you're coming from, but Fabricant 100 was in the same batch as Ichinose. And while Ichinose is no Death Note, it is also true that the father committed suicide with his family in the car and the mother was fully planning to kill a child in a recent chapter. In terms of recent newbies, AA had a fairly dark moment when the villain burned a woman and three alien refugees alive. And its not like stuff like MHA, JJK, UU, or Sakamoto have gotten less dark with time.

I think there might be a discussion worth having, but you would need to provide more examples of what you mean than just Fabricant 100. Because there are plenty of series that take risks: stuff like PPPPPP, Akane-banashii, and Cipher Academy have been as far from "play it safe" as it gets, to varying levels of success.

That said, I will always agree with the hope that the next batch will be interesting.

Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Also, Yozakura just had recently a chapter with a father describing the act of mutilating his own little daughter body parties many times to use as "experimentation" to cure other people, that's super dark.

WEEKLY SHONEN JUMP ISSUE #15 (2023) - VOTING RESULTS

1. Jujutsu Kaisen 216 (12 Votes)
2. Akane Banashi 53 (12 Votes)
3. One Piece 1077 (10 Votes)
4. Mission: Yozakura Family 169 (9 Votes)

5. Sakamoto Days 110 (8 Votes)
6. The Ichinose Family's Deadly Sins 16 (8 Votes)
7. Fabricant 100 13 (7 Votes)
8. Witch Watch 100 (6 Votes)
9. Blue Box 92 (6 Votes)
10. Undead Unluck 150 (3 Votes)
11. Ginka & Glüna 25 (3 Votes)
12. The Elusive Samurai 101 (1 Vote)
13. Tokyo Demon Bride Story 26 (1 Vote)

14. Cipher Academy 15 (1 Vote)
15. Mashle 147 (0 Votes)
16. Me & Roboco 128 (0 Votes)

17. Ichigoki's Under Control! 14 (0 Votes)

Notes:

-33 Users voted
-Tied placements decided by which series is older.
-My Hero Academia and Black Clover were absent

Source:
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Gintama light novel series "3 Nen Z Gumi Ginpachi Sensei" will have a anime adaptation

Neala897

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Gintama light novel series "3 Nen Z Gumi Ginpachi Sensei" will have a anime adaptation

I suppose this is the best they could do without touching original storyline. However those novels arent written by Sorachi and mostly comedy spins from what I get. People are excited now but might end up being disappointed.

FireFantasyVI

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
OP was good, the arc continues to build up to what should be some pretty huge consequences, which is exciting. Pretty ambivalent on the twist, not that it doesn't work, just that we don't know this character for long enough to really care. Still dig the horror elements. A bit tired of the Seraphim fights though.

BC was good as well, interested to see how Judgement Day plays out, I really like the angel's designs. Can definitely see myself getting tired of the fighting after like 10 chapters, but for now I'm engaged. Atmosphere was on point this week

JJK was also good, action was decent (if not a bit hard to follow with the black goo techniques), but Yorozu just was not very funny this week. Still, any chapter with Sukuna is a good one

Undead was pretty good, really like getting a Billy focused chapter, that comes full circle on his actions in the previous loop and how they're trying to change him. Glad this war arc is coming to an end too

Mashle was good, got a few chuckles from Mash and the gatekeeper in this one. Found it funnier that Mash just came back from being injured for a really long time only to immediately be out of commission for a really long time again. Interesting to have another series sacrificing memories for a powerup in the magazine

Roboco was okay, worst chapter in a while. Aside from the hamburger gag this chapter just wasn't funny. Main schtick of the chapter did not land, which is actually pretty rare for Roboco for me

Sakamoto was pretty good, nice pivot from the mall battle to an escort mission. Instead of coordinating offense, they're coordinating defense, should make for some fun stuff. I liked the disguise being like current Sakamoto

Elusive was also pretty good, nice calm before the storm chapter, really does make them feel like a family. Excited to see where this battle goes, and more Ashikaga hype is appreciated. Shoutout to the Neuro and Koro-Sensei cameos

Witch was great, classic chapter with the plushie spell. The visual gags with their designs, the comedy in trying to help Keigo, the bickering over the remote, and the ending all make for a perfect chapter.

Blue Box was pretty good, Yumeka's arc has really become a highlight of the series for me. It's been a while since we've seen Hina, stop hurting me like this

Akane was great, really good chapter building up this event. But moreso I really appreciate the team Shiguma interactions, especially Michael. They're all at different levels and can help each other in different ways

Oniyome was okay, while I liked Jinta's resolve in going through with it, the twist felt pretty deflating after the past few chapters. Surprised it still isn't over yet

Ginka was good, I liked each spell utilizing a different memory, and it was a little sad seeing Ginka fade from each of them. Not sure what the "Magaraka apparently escaped" line means for the series

Ichinose was good, the scene at the soccer field was nice, but it's overshadowed by that twist at the end. Not sure what to make of it, but so far the series has the benefit of the doubt

Cypher was pretty good, really liked seeing how the case was solved, even if it is a bit of information overload. Very exciting ending though, finally brining Redacted into things. Surprised we haven't had any actual cheating like that so far

If there was any doubt this series was ending, it's certainly cleared up now. Honestly kinda feel bad for this one, feels like it was pretty much immediately given up on. A whole chapter about all the (unfunny) characters there would've been was plain sad

Fabricant was alright, the kill page was pretty cool, but all the stuff about Fabricant weak points didn't really mesh with me. Introducing it and resolving it in the same chapter felt a bit fast

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
I'll be very surprised if Ichigoki doesn't end this round after the latest chapter, the story's pretty much done at this point after rushing to the end of school with only one final plot point to wrap up (unless it does a Moriking and pulls an extra arc out of nowhere to fill time until the next round).

As for other new stuff, Cipher Academy is always very over-reliant on text-dumps but it wrapping up the first half of the hyped up new arc in one chapter with a massive textbox was especially bad. I don't think they'd axe it in just 3-4 more chapters even if its in dead last (since it did okay for the first few) but it does feel like it may be rushing, I can't imagine that was how the arc was always intended to go. My guess is he's getting through this murder mystery quick in order to set up the next arc which will properly kick off the plot, and that'll be the attempt to save it from cancellation.

I'm enjoying the twist of the week Ichinose's doing though, and Fabricant is continuing to be a solid new battle shounen (and still quite Demon Slayer-reminiscent to me).

Thehoennhippo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Decent issue, favorite chapter this week was probably Akane, looking forward to seeing next week's YozaFam after this chapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.