Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Magazine News & Discussion (2014 - 2021) | Page 226 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Magazine News & Discussion (2014 - 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KagamiKuroko

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
WSM just lost its two biggest sellers, it's to be expected that things will be a little worse until something takes over those spots. But overall, most of the lineup sells solidly enough, even if nothing spectacular, so I feel they are pretty healthy still, with a good variety and number of successes (as opposed to something like WYJ, which has... 4/5 estabilished series and everything else in a bad spot)
Are the sales solid when you consider WSM Is the second biggest manga mag in Japan? E

OniluapL

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Are the sales solid when you consider WSM Is the second biggest manga mag in Japan? E
Well, yeah? Not _now_, because, well, the two biggest hits just ended, but compare to something like Young Jump (as I've mentioned) or Shonen Sunday. It's definitely better, imo. (I don't remember sales numbers from series from Young Magazine or Gekkan Shounen Magazine very well, but they are Kodansha's publications as well, so it doesn't matter that much, I think)

Kushikime

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
So I saw the preorders were up for the Orient English release but it’s digital only? Shikimori’s Not Just a Cutie is paperback, so is Sachi’s Monstrous Appetite

any idea why?

Thehoennhippo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Orient's digital release is happening way earlier than it's physical one, I remember hearing at a panel once I think that the digital and physical teams that pick up series at Kodansha are different, so weird stuff like this ends up happening sometimes, digital team decided to release it before the physical part of the company decided to pick it up I guess. Quints was like this too.

Tamil

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
If magazine gives blue lock propper treatment it could be a pillar eventually.
Orient/Eden's Zero/Blue Lock have potential to be pillars for the magazine once their anime arrive. Didn't fire force get its anime announced at around volume 15? I suspect Eden Zero/Orient to get their animes at the same volume count but with the magazine having their biggest hits leaving then who knows.

I hope those titles can get a well produced anime, much like how fire force is. I am catching up with Blue Lock right now, the start was meh and I can't remember the last time I disliked a large portion of the cast before but it certainly picks up after the first volume. I am liking it now and does improve a lot since the first volume.

CHRISTAN

Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
For the moment, the main pillar of the magazine is set to be Ace of Diamond, but Edens Zero anime announcement can quickly change the things. Tokyo Revengers is becoming very popular even without anime, and To Your Eternity will have that anime this Fall.

What worries me is the post-2018 stuff. For 2019 we only got Soredemo Ayumu (which is selling sometimes better than Edens Zero. For 2020 so far, Cuckoo's Fiancee seems to be doing well, but May sales will be the first true indicator for that.

EDIT: I really thought Blue Lock and Eden Zero were going to be nominated for the Kodansha Manga Awards. I guess we'll see them being nominated for the 2021 edition.

CHRISTAN

Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Kei Sasuga: No more breaks until the manga ends.
For clarification's sake, there will still be breaks, but those will only be when the magazine itself is on break.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looked at the raws for XEVEC since no translations and tbh it's gas. More interesting than anything recently that least I've seen in the mag, sports and overdramatic romances get old. Has a good mix of entertaining mcs, law & order, comedy & fanservice... hope some team picks it up

SalesNerd69

Reaction score
Country
India
Kei Sasuga: No more breaks until the manga ends.
For clarification's sake, there will still be breaks, but those will only be when the magazine itself is on break.
Is the manga ending pretty soon cause that seems like a weird thing to say otherwise, lot of mangaka take breaks cause they have to for health reasons, not just cause

Chuck_Atlas

Reaction score
Country
Peru
She did say DomeKano wouldn’t surpass 30 volumes right?

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
A bit confused about Nanatsu, the manga itself ended on chapter 346 right? despite the sequel there will be epilogues or something for the original or is really done?

Orient/Eden's Zero/Blue Lock have potential to be pillars for the magazine once their anime arrive. Didn't fire force get its anime announced at around volume 15? I suspect Eden Zero/Orient to get their animes at the same volume count but with the magazine having their biggest hits leaving then who knows.
Unless it will be a long running anime (which wouldn't be impossible considering FT and Rave) i don't see they waiting for 3 years just to announce a anime like with Fire Force, Mashima already teased 4 future projects and for sure EZ anime is one of them.

yadayada

Reaction score
Country
Fire Nation
A bit confused about Nanatsu, the manga itself ended on chapter 346 right? despite the sequel there will be epilogues or something for the original or is really done?
Hm? 346 was an epilogue, not a great one sure but an epilogue nonetheless.

For the moment, the main pillar of the magazine is set to be Ace of Diamond, but Edens Zero anime announcement can quickly change the things. Tokyo Revengers is becoming very popular even without anime, and To Your Eternity will have that anime this Fall.
I wouldn't mind Blue Lock or Tokyo Revengers becoming pillars, although I think giving TR a live action instead of an anime is a mistake by WSM. I don't really read EZ since I hated FT though lol, not sure if it has that potential.

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
About what date would be expecting to get the cover for first Cuckoo's Fiancee volume? (The manga gets released on 15th May)
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

3 possible versions of the volume 9 of Blue Lock

EDIT:

EDIT2:
Since the start of the anime, reprints of the Fire Force volumes are 1,800,000 copies (thanks to Heiji for the info)

Last edited:

Vizard

Reaction score
Country
Genosha
Elf Deck to Senjou Gurashi #2

Mazumeshi Elf to Yuubokugurashi #7

Piano Duo For The Left Hand #1

Edomae Elf #2

Kunihachibu #8

HYPNOSISMIC -Before The Battle- The Dirty Dawg #3 (Reguar Edition + Limited Edition)

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
could be getting Hiro's announcements soon, supposedly 4 right? April usually is the month of announcements for fall/winter season so you gotta figure he'll drop something. For me, I expect an anime announcement for either 100YQ/EZ, and personally would want a light novel in the ft timeline. Only thing that I would find lame would be a heroes sequel, that should be a one-off thing

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain

SalesNerd69

Reaction score
Country
India
Has Okubo mentioned how long he wants FF to go on for?

Status
Not open for further replies.