Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Magazine News & Discussion (2014 - 2021) | Page 295 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Magazine News & Discussion (2014 - 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangeman

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
The manga, I've said it a lot but Orient is underrated. The series has an interesting setting and unique take on being a demon slaying series (demons are worshipped and Samurai's are the villains in society). Also feel like the character writing and themes of the series will resonate well with the Japanese audience (or fans in general) and Ohtaka's incredible art & character designs. Even with the recent promotion which had all the chapters available for free that happened, it looks like the Japanese audience agrees and finds it interesting from reading their reactions. There's also the fact that is was trending for the anime announcement so it does look more and more promising.

As to it being bigger than Revengers is my personal predictions and lies on my predictions that Revengers doesn't get that big of a boost from its anime and that Orient will get a good staff/studio. Both could be wrong so who knows but at least I can see Orient getting a bigger boost even if it doesn't end up surpassing Revengers. I honestly don't have the biggest faith in Lidenfilms/staff adapting Revengers either and I see it getting a bigger boost from the live action than its anime.
Thanks for explaining. Orient's sales seem really underwhelming thus far (and because of the mangaka, this is not some under-the-radar series), so I'm skeptical of its potential and would call it a success if it can reach Fire Force level with an anime. The big wildcard though is whether there's some KnY spillover effect from hungry KnY fans looking for something similar. Revengers is a weird one, because its genre is unconventional and we haven't had a big delinquent series in a while now. Revengers does have a live action movie coming out later so as long as the anime is serviceable, I imagine people will be talking about Revengers for quite some time.

I really wonder what will be the best selling series in WSM in 2 years, since there are so many contenders right now that I could all see happening.

KagamiKuroko

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for explaining. Orient's sales seem really underwhelming thus far (and because of the mangaka, this is not some under-the-radar series), so I'm skeptical of its potential and would call it a success if it can reach Fire Force level with an anime. The big wildcard though is whether there's some KnY spillover effect from hungry KnY fans looking for something similar. Revengers is a weird one, because its genre is unconventional and we haven't had a big delinquent series in a while now. Revengers does have a live action movie coming out later so as long as the anime is serviceable, I imagine people will be talking about Revengers for quite some time.

I really wonder what will be the best selling series in WSM in 2 years, since there are so many contenders right now that I could all see happening.
If I had to guess it will be Cuckoos

Konja9

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Peru
I don't see this as they having hope that it will be popular but just that they know for a fact that a Seo Kouji manga will sell at least decently, specially when he's coming back to the romcom roots instead of trying to go different like with Hitman, you can already tell this series will be more popular, so they're already going for it.

Also, in the other tweets, it mentions Seo Kouji confirmed that Hitman ended because he wanted, not a cancelation like it seemed to be, so this pretty much shows how strong is the relationship with Shonen Magazine.
Hitman was a rom-com, right?

I mean that seems to be the main focus of the story.

Mankichi Togawa

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Spain

-A Couple of Cuckoos is going to get a WSM cover very soon
-Exciting projects are going to be announced soon
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

WSM issue 13.
LCP: Hajime no Ippo
CPs: Soredemo Ayumu wa Yosetekuru
Goddess Cafe Terrace chapter 2 will be 24 pages
--- Double Post Merged, ---

--- Double Post Merged, ---

Lastest chapter of Fire Force has trascended reality and physics.

Blue16

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Goddess Cafe Terrace vol 1 will be released on May 17th.
chapter 1 RAW.

KagamiKuroko

Reaction score
Country
United States
What drugs was Ohkubo taking when he drew this chapter?

Neala897

Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

The same as when he drew last chapter of SE. But this one seems better

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell

For its sales situation, that can be said for a lot of other series in this magazine. I would also call it a success if it reaches FF levels or even comes pretty close to it; I'm waiting for more anime details so I can gauge my prediction a lot better. Speaking of FF, it also had a decline in sales before the anime was announced so this isn't anything new, even if its not as steep as Orient. I don't think its likely to benefit from KnY as the series are different and in completely different magazines.

Well Blue Lock & Cuckoo are the biggest contenders for sure. Despite my worries with Revenger's adaptation, it can also be up there unless it ends by then.

Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

The whole chapter is just, yeah. Though it's making me want to catch up on FF to find out what lead up to this so I guess in that way it's effective.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
And Fire Force is trending on Japan

natsu x777

Reaction score
Country
Colombia
If I had to guess it will be Cuckoos
I think that in terms of sales seeing that Tokyo Revengers is having a very good reception before their anime and Live action arrive in this way:

Best Sales Magazine 2021:

1. Tokyo Revengers
2. Enn Enn no Shouboutai
3. Kakkou no linazuke
4. Daiya no Ace: Act ll
5. Kanojo, Okarishimasu
6. Blue Lock
7. Kanojo mo Kanojo / Edens Zero / Fumetsu no Anata e (I keep my eye on these)

orangeman

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
I don't think its likely to benefit from KnY as the series are different and in completely different magazines.
The theory is that KnY's unprecedented success brought in a massive, new group of non-traditional manga readers who are open to something similar, especially after KnY ended. The main evidence is JJK's absurd backlog sales that have it on track to be another unprecedented hit (its sales are actually pacing faster than even KnY's right now). Now, I'm not saying Orient and KnY are the same, but they do share a lot of similarities (samurai battle shonen in a historic Japanese setting with lots of bishonen and bromance), so I think there's an opportunity right now for Kodansha to pitch Orient to the same audience, but KnY/JJK were also working with source material that was better received, so it's hard to say.

KagamiKuroko

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oricon Top 50 selling series for 2020:

WSM:

QQ: 6,145,591

Fire Force: 4,025,437

Kanojo Okarishimasu: 2,497,329

Nanatsu no Taizai: 1,672,831

Tokyo Revengers: 1,651,456

Daiya no Ace: 1,283,165

Blue Lock: 1,244,119

Days: 804,145

Runway de Warrate: 761,198

Mag Pocket:

Shikimori San: 937,137

taqzer

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Tokyo Revengers is really selling well, Looking at Shoseki rankings and its volumes regularly show up nowadays which is great. Even if they are generally in the lower 400s on the list. I'm interested in what its live-action and anime can do for it, even if the anime trailers haven't looked anything impressive. I always thought delinquent manga were a more difficult sell in modern times but Revengers is proving me wrong. Wonder what sort of numbers it can reach in the end.

As for guessing which manga would be the next big hits for WSM. Outside of Cuckoo, my money's on blue lock and Shangri-La Frontier. Surprised no one mentioned Shangri-La, I'm behind on the manga, but what I've read of it is great and it's selling well already. I won't comment on Negi and Nakaba's new manga since I haven't had a chance to read either of them yet.

Don't have much faith in Orient doing anything great, even if its themes and topics seem like they should do well given the success of JJK and Demon slayer. Online opinions I read all said It's beginning harmed the manga. Even for me reading those first few chapters was a chore. Lost of people had high hopes, it came from a pretty popular and successful mangaka after all. I've heard it got better over time, but I'll wait for the anime to judge.

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I must say those FF's yearly numbers are very strong and even more so for a battle shonen from this magazine.
About time, his work on Bakemonogatari is incredible

Status
Not open for further replies.