Reaction score
Country
Vietnam

Doughboy

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Ranger Reject after ch3 I’m having a good time with it too. It’s going differently than I expected, the villain is the MC and the heroine is a traitor lol great twist. Never followed QQ but people in the comments keep saying the author does a lot of controversial shit, add in great artstyle with power ranger theme and that’s more than good enough for me. I’m retrying Shangri too but official translation since it’s Crunchy picked it up, tbh the dialogue and cleaner scans might change my mind on this.

@Halloween poll with 5 new series available? ranger reject, tesla note, kangibanka, seo new series, NNT sequel

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Ranger Reject after ch3 I’m having a good time with it too. It’s going differently than I expected, the villain is the MC and the heroine is a traitor lol great twist. Never followed QQ but people in the comments keep saying the author does a lot of controversial shit, add in great artstyle with power ranger theme and that’s more than good enough for me. I’m retrying Shangri too but official translation since it’s Crunchy picked it up, tbh the dialogue and cleaner scans might change my mind on this.

@Halloween poll with 5 new series available? ranger reject, tesla note, kangibanka, seo new series, NNT sequel
You are forgetting LOVE or MAGIC, which came after Kangibanka.

I wonder if there is a chance the basketball manga will come in March.

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don’t believe I’ve done a poll for any of the other magazine threads so far.

It makes sense for the WSJ thread because mangaplus has the chapters up for free for everyone every week.

Is that the case here as well?

KagamiKuroko

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don’t believe I’ve done a poll for any of the other magazine threads so far.

It makes sense for the WSJ thread because mangaplus has the chapters up for free for everyone every week.

Is that the case here as well?
We Wish

Koni

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I wonder how well a Magazine or Kodansha version of MangaPlus would do. Would it do well enough to be considered a success? How much do you invest into it, if so? Personally, I think it could succeed, but it would have a lot of hurdles to overcome, mainly by solidifying it’s lineup and promoting the app.

A key part of its success would be to have popular titles that are currently ongoing on there. Popular titles in general are a must, but you need currently running ones to keep readers coming back every week. And not only that, they have to be popular worldwide. I’m not sure if Kodansha has enough titles like that. Attack on Titan would be a massive draw, but that’s ending in a couple of months. I can’t really think of much else. Currently WSM has a lot of romcoms, which are generally popular among hardcore manga readers (for lack of a better term), but probably won’t bring in a huge audience.

The biggest thing, though, would be the name. Weekly Shonen Magazine doesn’t carry nearly the amount of worldwide clout with its name as Weekly Shonen Jump does, which I feel very much helps when promoting brand new series. They could probably partner with Crunchyroll or Comixology or something like that, but I’m not sure if it’ll have the same effect.

OtterBrigade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I wonder how well a Magazine or Kodansha version of MangaPlus would do. Would it do well enough to be considered a success? How much do you invest into it, if so? Personally, I think it could succeed, but it would have a lot of hurdles to overcome, mainly by solidifying it’s lineup and promoting the app.

A key part of its success would be to have popular titles that are currently ongoing on there. Popular titles in general are a must, but you need currently running ones to keep readers coming back every week. And not only that, they have to be popular worldwide. I’m not sure if Kodansha has enough titles like that. Attack on Titan would be a massive draw, but that’s ending in a couple of months. I can’t really think of much else. Currently WSM has a lot of romcoms, which are generally popular among hardcore manga readers (for lack of a better term), but probably won’t bring in a huge audience.

The biggest thing, though, would be the name. Weekly Shonen Magazine doesn’t carry nearly the amount of worldwide clout with its name as Weekly Shonen Jump does, which I feel very much helps when promoting brand new series. They could probably partner with Crunchyroll or Comixology or something like that, but I’m not sure if it’ll have the same effect.
I think a potential problem is it would add a lot to Kodansha's workload. While they have most of the current Magazine titles are licensed I think To Your Eternity, Shan-gri Frontier, and Eden's Zero are the only titles actually being Simulpubbed (with stuff from other magazines as well) unlike when Jump launched Manga+ only needed to do Hinomaru Sumo, David-kun and I'm From Japan because Viz was already doing everything else.

KagamiKuroko

Reaction score
Country
United States

They would have had a much better chance a few years ago when AoT, FT and NNT were running but now they’ve got no established flagship with AoT ending so I doubt it would do well unless some new series blow up massively soon

orangeman

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates

I can't see it doing well. As someone already said, when AoT, FT and 7DS were running, they stood a better chance and even then it's iffy. Some of Kodansha's manga are on Crunchyroll and you can see Crunchyroll's top manga:

None of Kodansha's stuff look that hot (outside of AoT obviously which is ending) and its not like that list is particularly strong if Talentless Nana is #3.

Thundercat27

Reaction score
Country
Vietnam
Tbf, Crunchyroll is a shit platform to read manga and just a shitty platform in general.
I bet most of its users don't even know there are manga on Crunchyroll.

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
Matchmaking of Amagami Household will start serialization on WSM issue 21, on 20th April.

Wondering when will they reveal the start of the baskteball series serialization.

An update on Amagami. Seems as if the names for the first 5 chapters have been completed.

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States

Magazine’s gonna be real cutthroat this year, I can feel it. I wish recent and future serializations the best of luck.

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just read some of the newer manga, here are some crude thoughts:

Ranger Reject is my favorite of the bunch. I can’t believe Negi pulled me back in again with this. The whole first chapter intrigued me - it totally wasn’t what I expected at all, and I really enjoyed it. Definitely reminded me of a certain popular show on Amazon. I’m seriously looking forward to seeing how Negi advances the story, develops his MC, and expand on this world.

The Goddess Cafe Terrace is pretty alright. It’s first chapter was really solid, and it provided an admittedly unoriginal but nonetheless interesting setup for the MC and the five heroines. I can see some not really liking the of the characters due to their actions here, but I find that they don’t become unbearable for me, most of the time. I honestly don’t think the series deserves all the hate it’s getting in some places. At least... not at this point. Episode 2 dipped its hands into some tropes I didn’t like, which brought things down for me a bit. I’m still interested, though.

Love or Magic was disappointing, though. I think I came into it with the wrong expectations, since I was anticipating something like the magic high school light novels that so dominated anime before isekai- but this focuses much more on the ecchi and comedy than it does any sort of action. Which would be fine, except the story can get boring at many points and maddening at a few others. Especially where the characters are concerned - I just feel bad for the main male lead most of the time.

KagamiKuroko

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think Ranger Reject and 4KOTA will prove to be pillars for the magazine

OniluapL

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Just read some of the newer manga, here are some crude thoughts:

Ranger Reject is my favorite of the bunch. I can’t believe Negi pulled me back in again with this. The whole first chapter intrigued me - it totally wasn’t what I expected at all, and I really enjoyed it. Definitely reminded me of a certain popular show on Amazon. I’m seriously looking forward to seeing how Negi advances the story, develops his MC, and expand on this world.

The Goddess Cafe Terrace is pretty alright. It’s first chapter was really solid, and it provided an admittedly unoriginal but nonetheless interesting setup for the MC and the five heroines. I can see some not really liking the of the characters due to their actions here, but I find that they don’t become unbearable for me, most of the time. I honestly don’t think the series deserves all the hate it’s getting in some places. At least... not at this point. Episode 2 dipped its hands into some tropes I didn’t like, which brought things down for me a bit. I’m still interested, though.

Love or Magic was disappointing, though. I think I came into it with the wrong expectations, since I was anticipating something like the magic high school light novels that so dominated anime before isekai- but this focuses much more on the ecchi and comedy than it does any sort of action. Which would be fine, except the story can get boring at many points and maddening at a few others. Especially where the characters are concerned - I just feel bad for the main male lead most of the time.
I mostly agree regarding Love or Magic -- I think it had a decent setup for its story that I wanted to see grow, but the plot has pretty much become an excuse to portray ecchi scenes, and not in a way that makes it interesting or even comfortable to read. I'm not a fan of fanservice, admitedly, but I can ignore it in many cases. Here though, I think the rest is far from compensating for it and the fanservice itself is more bothersome than many.

Now Cafe Terrace I'm closer to the "haters" - - well, not actually, the series didn't do much to make me hate it, but it was painfully generic for the first two chapters, and didn't even manage to convey enough of the main girls to make me invested. Their introductions felt like a collection of tropes without anything to actually make them fun characters. It feels like a series on auto-pilot.

Ranger Reject is great though, my favorite debut since... Well, since Tricks, that wasn't very long ago, but since it feels like it will be axed sooner or later, it feels like it's going to replaced by Negi's series in my heart.

Honestly, I'm hoping Amagami and the other romcom that will soon debut are better. Magazine is going all in on romcoms, which is... fine, but I hope there are some I actually enjoy among them.