1. This web comic needs more readers. So what are you waiting for? Read :D.
  2. The new season of the Anime League is here! Tell us which new Anime of this season you liked the most so far!
  3. Congratulations to goldb for winning the Friends Photography contest!, and as always, well done to the other participants!.

Voting has begun for the Special Halloween Art Contest
    Witch.

Also there is a special announcement regarding the Winter Art Contest, so please Read up!
  4. This year's Community Awards have ended. Check out the results HERE!
  5. The very first Magi Awards have begun! Nominate your favorite Moments and Characters now!
  6. Starting from mid-February or so we'll be going through the media gallery and sorting through the submissions there to ensure they match with our recent changes listed in the Media Gallery Guide.
    As such some media files will be removed, so please be sure to look through your media and ensure it is up to requirements If you have any questions, contact a global/admin.
Though artists in particular, everyone please do check out the [MEDIA GUIDE] , as there are information relevant for you all. Thanks!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Magazine News & Discussion [Kodansha]

Discussion in 'Manga News' started by SharkBait, Oct 31, 2014.

1. cody

cody Registered User

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member

Joker
    Yeah, I guess you are right.
    --- Double Post Merged, Nov 13, 2017 at 10:47 PM, Original Post Date: Nov 13, 2017 at 10:41 PM ---
    Interesting, thanks, it seems like it could be pretty cute. Also good to see a clarification on Juliet, since there are some weekly magazines that host monthly series and I wasn't sure if that was the case or not for Juliet.

2. Torca

Torca Registered User

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member

Poland
    Magazine Pocket is full of cute romcoms, nicee. I dig it.

Aipom626 likes this.
  3. Doughboy

Doughboy Registered User

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity

United States
    Romcoms have been overloading WSM so the mag as been on the boring side for me lately. I've put Domestic Kanojo on hold for the longest minute but from where I left off and what I remember I was enjoying it, it's just twincest for your shameless desires. To you, Immortal I checked the first chapter and it was highkey boring, sucks cause the art is great.

Infection is a bottom-tier Highschool of the Dead, I'd read that one before Infection.

2018 hype level over 9000 for WSM and Kodansha though. From the last fiscal year Kodansha's highest 3 sellers (AoT, NNT, FT) all are getting animes in 2018. Jump and Shueisha are gonna be shook if they don't match this heat Kodansha is bringing other from MHA S3 and Soul Hunter. It'll be alot on my plate like this season is for me.

Still gotta check out Gotobun though and this Real Account... who reads it and would you recommend it?

4. Ninjaz

Ninjaz Registered User

Joker
    Wow, you both wrote a lot there. Keep that up. It's interesting anyways.

Yeah, getting on Koe no Katachi is a brilliant idea. The movie was great, I hope you'll like it. You should get on that as soon as possible.

And Taizai is an excellent read, and yes A1 kinda butchered the adaptation a bit. The anime was generally fine, but they sped through quite a bunch of details, especially during the latter half.
    The manga only gets better from where the anime left off in my opinion.
    ----------

Anyways, I'm hoping to Fumetsu no Anata e will get a TV anime in a couple years time. I think it would do better as a TV anime than as a movie or something. Just by the way the stories are divided up. It's such an excellent manga for every piece of story told, Yoshitoki can tell some beautiful stories. What she did with Koe no Katachi was great as well.

And, a series I'm sure will get an anime adaptation eventually, is Fire Force, and I'm looking forward to that. I feel like it would be a hit. (At least I hope it will.)

I'm usually not all about anime adaptations, as I'm mainly a manga guy, but just to state an opinion on what I'd like to see animated, it is those two for sure.

Ecchi Boy, Aipom626 and cody like this.
  5. cody

cody Registered User

Joker

I feel like Fumetsu no Anata e will inevitably get an anime down the line, I agree it has to be a TV adaptation, since it wouldn't work out as a movie. The only way it could work as a movie was if there where multiple movies and I don't know about that. It can become a hit, that's for sure but it will really come down to how they handle the adaptation, they can't half-ass it, they need to get a good studio and a good staff. But, they did know they had to give Koe no Katachi to KyoAni, so hopefully they get the right idea for this one as well and avoid giving it to a subpar studio.

Yeah, we're just approaching the inevitable Fire Force anime announcement, since it took about 2 years for the anime to get announced for Fairy Tail and Nanatsu no Taiza as well. I'll continue praying(to stay on theme with the manga) and hoping it gets Bones to adapt it, or some other good studio like I.G or Wit. Hopefully A1 Pictures stay busy next year with Nanatsu S2 and the next Fairy Tail season and they avoid this.

Ninjaz likes this.
  6. Aipom626

Aipom626 Registered User

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member

United States
    Looks like the Issue #50 TOC is as follows (according to the WSM website):
    Eito Carnival (Lead Color Page, New Series, 66p.)
    Fuuka
    Senryuu Shoujo
    Tokyo卍Revengers
    Fumetsu no Anata e
    Runway de Waratte (Color Page)
    Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet
    Seishun Soukanzu
    Seitokai Yakuindomo
    Daiya no Ace
    Nanatsu no Taizai
    Dometic na Kanojo
    Tsue Petit Mahou Tsukai ♀ no Bouken no Sho
    Enen no Shouboutai
    Gotobun no Hanayome
    Real Account
    Kanojo, Okarishimasu
    Mako-san wa Shindemo Jiritsu Shinai
    Days
    Tsurezure Children
    World End Crusaders
    Kessen no Kuon
    Hoshino, Me wo Tsubutte (Absent)
    Ahiru no Sora (Hiatus)

Tsurezure Children is too low for my liking, but this and Seitokai Yakuindomo seem like they get placed lower than most would expect fairly often. Another week of Kessen and World End being at the bottom of the bunch, definitely not a good sign. I'm glad that Runway got another color page since those have always turned out really pretty, and I'm interested to look through the first chapter of Eito Carnival when I can find it.​

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017 at 12:39 AM
    RafaFedKilla likes this.
  7. BanzaiMang

BanzaiMang Registered User

United States
  8. Aipom626

Aipom626 Registered User

United States
    So roughly 50K per volume. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that seems like it's probably sufficient to be safe for the time being. Although this doesn't take into account whether volume sales are growing each time a new one is released

9. Ninjaz

Ninjaz Registered User

Joker
    Don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but in Issue #51, Fumetsu no Anata e will have a Color page. And there will be an Interview Dialogue between Yoshitoki Oima and Game Creator Fumita Ueda (Shadow of the Colossus, Ico, The Last Guardian) featured in the magazine.

Which I am really happy about, as I'm both a huge fan of Fumetsu and Oima, and all 3 of those I listed by Ueda are some of my favorite games of all time. I've always thought that the vibes I got from Fumetsu were kinda similar, but never expected to get this special talk, I'm looking forward to reading this next issue.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017 at 10:24 AM
    Aipom626 and RafaFedKilla like this.
  10. Aipom626

Aipom626 Registered User

United States
    Just took a look at Eito Carnival, and I've gotta say, I'm really loving the artwork. I get some Runway vibes from it, not necessarily from the way artwork looking the same, but how the images exude an incredible feeling of motion and detail. Both have the ability to take topics that really don't seem like they would fit well in a shonen magazine and make them work. I'm looking forward to seeing more of this.

Exactly how I feel about it. Once my life gets less hectic next year, I'm planning on improving my Japanese so I can hopefully enjoy more than pretty pictures and visual gags lol

RafaFedKilla and cody like this.
  11. cody

cody Registered User

Joker
    Well, the mangaka for Eito Carnival is a long timer to an extent, he's continuously been doing manga from the early 2000's, so he's had enough time to really polish out his style, which is always cool to see.

12. Aipom626

Aipom626 Registered User

United States
    Ah, I didn't realize that. I'll have to look up what some of their previous series were since I am quite impressed. His style looks like it will be an excellent fit for a series about dancing, especially if it is focusing more on viral video dances which tend to have more comedic and rapid choreography.

13. cody

cody Registered User

Joker
    One thing all of his manga have in common is the fact that they all seem to be pretty short, I haven't read any of his works, but I know one of his series got like 2 anime adaptations in the early-mid 2000's. I'd also like to check out some of his stuff, especially since it's really accessible because of how short it is. Let's see if this manga will end up being longer than 3-5 volumes.

Aipom626 likes this.
  14. BanzaiMang

BanzaiMang Registered User

United States
    Fire Force/Enen no Shouboutai vol. 11 PV

--- Double Post Merged, Nov 17, 2017 at 8:25 AM, Original Post Date: Nov 17, 2017 at 8:21 AM ---

Ecchi Boy, Aipom626 and cody like this.
  15. cody

cody Registered User

Joker
    Cool to see a new PV for Fire Force. It was nothing special, but at least it's something.

Ecchi Boy likes this.
  16. Aipom626

Aipom626 Registered User

United States
    I'm no expert, but these figures sound respectable for Hoshino. It's not a groundbreaking story, but I do appreciate the unexpected twists and turns along the way of its main plot. Definitely a lot more to it than "a guy doing the makeup of a surprisingly-plain looking girl," which I have really enjoyed.

17. cody

cody Registered User

Joker
    Yeah, those are great numbers for this kind of a series.

Aipom626 likes this.
  18. Mammo

Mammo Registered User

Holy Britannian Empire
    here's something I noticed
    both Fairy Tail and Magi final volumes are released on the same day 11/17
    and both Fairy Tail and Magi final volumes have the same idea for the cover (a group pic for all the cast)
    not to mention both manga are battle shonen about magic

weird

Ecchi Boy, Lehran and Doughboy like this.
  19. cody

cody Registered User

Joker
    We should start up a manga conspiracy subforum. Both had anime from A1, that were mainly funded by Aniplex.

Probably just a coincidence though.

Ecchi Boy likes this.
  20. Doughboy

Doughboy Registered User

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity

United States
    Mammo reminded me, meant to post this. Just a preview for the Dragon Cry BD/DVD release