Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Magazine News & Discussion (2014 - 2021) | Page 127 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Magazine News & Discussion (2014 - 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruggia

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
South Korea
What happened in 2018 axing wise? Real Account returned back to Bessatsu (for what I am guessing is the schedule matter), 2 moved to Magazine Pocket, Fuuka+Tsurezure ended, and Kiss and Cry + Tsue Petit Mahou were axed, am I right?
Especially with how flexibile Kodansha is, saying "axed all the time" is not true. Nothing is like WSJ. Fair enough for the last sentence.

Not a fan of how this discussion went though. There is no need for this to be a multiple reply "war" of opinions imo, just because we disagree. I won't reply further, since this is going very off rails now.
2018 was an unusually successful year. (Espeicially because lot of them were returning veterans) 2017 had around 10 series axed with most running less than 30 chaps. They certainly don't hold back if things aren't performing.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
I've finally read all the translated Orient chapters (26) and I read the raws after that. This manga might be a little bit overwhelming for some people, it starts off in a really crazy way and it just shoves everything in your face with a bang.

The artwork is stellar, I expect no less from such an experienced veteran, the spread pages are quite the spectacle, the color work (especially in the volume covers) is absolutely stunning. I love how well the art manages to portray the grand scale fights, the action scenes are very dynamic and intense and the character designs are beautiful, I love how expressive their faces can get.

In a way, this has a mixed appeal of Attack on Titan and One Piece. It reminds me of AoT because of how the fights against the gigantic monsters are handled and how there is a desire to free humanity from these mysterious beings. It reminds me of One Piece because of the hot blooded nature of the characters and how there are groups of people of the same kind which all go compete against each others in order to achieve one common goal, a goal that has been chased by humans for many years.

At the same time, this is very different from those two. The setting is weird but interesting and I always have fun with a grand scale adventure series. The main characters so far are all great and I want to see them achieve their dreams together.

This is not for everyone though, if over the top shonen protagonists & ideals are too much for you to handle, this probably won't be your thing.

I expect this to get an anime at some point in the future, but I will say this will be incredibly difficult to pull off in animation.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Kenjiro Tsuda has joined the cast for the TV anime “Fire Force” as the voice of Joker.

http://moetron.net/post/182755378410/kenjiro-tsuda-has-joined-the-cast-for-the-tv-anime

I love this dude's voice, he's a perfect fit for Joker.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
What happened in 2018 axing wise? Real Account returned back to Bessatsu (for what I am guessing is the schedule matter), 2 moved to Magazine Pocket, Fuuka+Tsurezure ended, and Kiss and Cry + Tsue Petit Mahou were axed, am I right?
I think World End Crusaders and Kessen no Kuon were both also axed right around the beginning of the 2018 volume count (or maybe the last issue of the 2017 issues). As for the ended series, Hoshino also concluded last year. Even for the 2 series that transferred to Magazine Pocket, they still weren't selling nearly as bad as some of the bombs from the year prior (Kessen sold like a thousand copies or something). I'd say the most brutal ax of the year was Kiss & Cry, which I think only had 14 chapters.

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Issue #11 TOC

Seven Deadly Sins (LCP)
Bakemonogatari
Runway de Waratte (CP)
Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Days
Blue Lock
Tokyo Revengers
Gotou-bun no Hanayome
Senryuu Girl
Eden's Zero
Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet
Domestic na Kanojo
Mako-san ha Shindemo Jiritsu Shinai
Fire Force
Hitman
Orient
Shichiha Gojuroku
Gamblers Parade
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Diamond no Ace Act II
Yoru ni Naru to Boku Wa
Danshi Kôkôsei wo Yashinaitai Onee-san no Hanashi
Fumetsu no Anata e
Ahiru no Sora

Issue #12 Preview
Eden's Zero (LCP)
Shichiha Gojuroku (CP)

Last edited:

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
2018 was an unusually successful year. (Espeicially because lot of them were returning veterans)
I didn't even realize how good of a year 2018 was for Magazine.

-Getting two popular new action series from well known veterans is a very strong addition to the lineup. I can see both of them becoming pillars of the magazine in the future.

-Danshi Koukousei wo Yashinaitai Oneesan no Hanashi was another addition to the magazine's already big list of very popular romcom manga.

-Bringing in an adaptation of the Bakemonogatari series from a popular veteran was another incredible move, that's basically guaranteed success.

-Blue Lock might end up being a sports series the magazine relies on and it seems to be gaining more followers. I don't know how well Hitman is doing
compared to Seo Kouji's other series, but I could see it staying around for a while since it's selling fine.

I'm excited to see what interesting mangaka we're going to see in the magazine this year. Kodansha have been doing their best to bring in veterans from many places. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
I didn't even realize how good of a year 2018 was for Magazine.

-Getting two popular new action series from well known veterans is a very strong addition to the lineup. I can see both of them becoming pillars of the magazine in the future.

-Danshi Koukousei wo Yashinaitai Oneesan no Hanashi was another addition to the magazine's already big list of very popular romcom manga.

-Bringing in an adaptation of the Bakemonogatari series from a popular veteran was another incredible move, that's basically guaranteed success.

-Blue Lock might end up being a sports series the magazine relies on and it seems to be gaining more followers. I don't know how well Hitman is doing
compared to Seo Kouji's other series, but I could see it staying around for a while since it's selling fine.

I'm excited to see what interesting mangaka we're going to see in the magazine this year. Kodansha have been doing their best to bring in veterans from many places. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't.
Me neither really. I think they made a lot of good decisions. Though the latest batch of Yoru, Gamblers and Shichiha (Vol 1 yet to be out but I dont sense buzz here) seems like a bust. What is Danshi Kokosei about? Is it translated?

Hitman seems like it will be a stepdown from Fuuka (mangaka previous work) in sales. Too bad, I liked the first 5 chapters so hoping it sticks around.

Ecchi Boy

Reaction score
Country
United States
People should not be relying on sales and focus on what series people want to keep reading in the magazine to keep it afloat that is what manga magazine seems Japan forgot that and started focussing on which is bad thing.

Last edited:

Tamil

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
I've finally read all the translated Orient chapters (26) and I read the raws after that. This manga might be a little bit overwhelming for some people, it starts off in a really crazy way and it just shoves everything in your face with a bang.

The artwork is stellar, I expect no less from such an experienced veteran, the spread pages are quite the spectacle, the color work (especially in the volume covers) is absolutely stunning. I love how well the art manages to portray the grand scale fights, the action scenes are very dynamic and intense and the character designs are beautiful, I love how expressive their faces can get.

In a way, this has a mixed appeal of Attack on Titan and One Piece. It reminds me of AoT because of how the fights against the gigantic monsters are handled and how there is a desire to free humanity from these mysterious beings. It reminds me of One Piece because of the hot blooded nature of the characters and how there are groups of people of the same kind which all go compete against each others in order to achieve one common goal, a goal that has been chased by humans for many years.

At the same time, this is very different from those two. The setting is weird but interesting and I always have fun with a grand scale adventure series. The main characters so far are all great and I want to see them achieve their dreams together.

This is not for everyone though, if over the top shonen protagonists & ideals are too much for you to handle, this probably won't be your thing.

I expect this to get an anime at some point in the future, but I will say this will be incredibly difficult to pull off in animation.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Kenjiro Tsuda has joined the cast for the TV anime “Fire Force” as the voice of Joker.

http://moetron.net/post/182755378410/kenjiro-tsuda-has-joined-the-cast-for-the-tv-anime

I love this dude's voice, he's a perfect fit for Joker.
After reading the first chapter I can see why people call it a watered down Magi. I know first chapter isnt the best indicator but I'm going to read through this over week. Shinobu's art is stellar indeed. It has a cool setting and I love me some historical settings.

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shoseki rankings first day sales. Seems Kodansha may get another bomb after Yoru and Gamblers.

168. Shichiha Gojuroku Volume 1 (NEW)

1. Go-Toubun no Hanayome Volume 8
2. Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet Volume 12
3. Days Volume 31
8. Eden's Zero Volume 3
14. Runway de Waratte Volume 9
233. Yoru Ni Nari to Boku wa Volume 3

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shoseki rankings first day sales. Seems Kodansha may get another bomb after Yoru and Gamblers.

168. Shichiha Gojuroku Volume 1 (NEW)

1. Go-Toubun no Hanayome Volume 8
2. Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet Volume 12
3. Days Volume 31
8. Eden's Zero Volume 3
14. Runway de Waratte Volume 9
233. Yoru Ni Nari to Boku wa Volume 3
Shichiha Gojuroku certainly didn't have a stellar start. It still has Yoru as a buffer, but it and Gamblers Parade are definitely in danger afterwards

revo68

Reaction score
Country
Singapore

Polisi25

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Nakurawari, I am copying your format for the Shoseki Ranking

Shoseki Rankings (11/02-17/02), only the Top 50
1. GoToubun #8
8. Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet #12
9. Days #31
16. Eden Zero #3
24. UQ Holder #19
35. Seven Deadly Sins #35
38. Runway #9
39. Nagotaro#4
45. GoToubun #7

30位21450/50位15000/100位10300/200位5300/300位3000/400位2200/500位1850

-

Speaking of Days, this is already old news already, but there has been a reprint release of the prequel [Furimuku na Kimi wa], separated into two volumes.
http://kc.kodansha.co.jp/product?item=0000320396
[I don't really know how to paste photos without subjecting to copyright]

They are also released in the Shoseki Rankings as well, but they are placed 155 (up) and 164 (down) respectively

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shoseki Rankings (11/02-17/02), only the Top 50
1. GoToubun #8
8. Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet #12
9. Days #31
16. Eden Zero #3
24. UQ Holder #19
35. Seven Deadly Sins #35
38. Runway #9
39. Nagotaro#4
45. GoToubun #7
It should be noted for most of these, it is only 3 day sales, unlucky Oricon wise for Runway where it may not even appear.

And a hall of shame made of 2 newbies
448. Shichiha Gojuroku #1
OUT OF BOUNDS (not even in Top 500) Yoru ni Nari to Boku wa #3.

What a mess. How is Yoru ni Nari still alive?

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shonen Magazine #12 TOC. Still no axes in sight, Fumetsu to Anata E and Ahiru no Sora are absent this week.

Eden's Zero (LCP)
Tokyo Revengers
Seitokai Yakuindomo
Days
Bakemonogatari
Diamond no Ace Act II
Shichi ha Gojuroku (CP)
Runway de Waratte
Gotou-bun no Hanayome
Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet
Domestic na Kanojo
Senryuu Shoujo
Gamblers Parade
Blue Lock
Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Fire Force
Orient
Seven Deadly Sins
Danshi Kôkôsei wo Yashinaitai Onee-san
Hitman
Yoru ni Naru to Boku Wa
Mako-san ha Shindemo Jiritsu Shinai

#13 preview
Gotou-bun no Hanayome (LCP)
Senryuu Shoujo (CP)

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I'm liking Shichi ha Gojuroku so far. I hope more chapters continue to be scanlated and I hope the manga does well

revo68

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Yamamoto Shouichiro to start a new serial in Weekly Shonen Magazine.

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Yamamoto Shouichiro to start a new serial in Weekly Shonen Magazine.

Actually very hyped with this, since Takagi-san is one of my favorite manga.

Is he starting the new serial in next issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.