Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Champion (Akita Shoten)

Ihore

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Country
United Kingdom
2019 will be interesting because of the 50th anniversary.
https://www.cmoa.jp/comic_prize/?cat=3&page=entry
Denshi Comic Prize - Mairimashita! Iruma-kun has been nominated for this.
This was quite a few weeks ago ago but I decided to only bring it up now since Iruma-kun is getting a Lead CP next issue and a Character Popularity Contest.

New series round -
7th Issue - Worst Gaiden Goriko by Hiroshi Takahashi and Suzuki Ryota
8th Issue - TV Anime Sousakuhiwa Osamu Tezuka to Anime wo Tsukuta Wakamonotachi by Miyazaki Masaru and Nogami Takeshi
9th Issue - Boryaku no Panzer by Furuta Tomohiro.

Source - http://ryokutya2089.com/archives/15934
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Source - http://blog.livedoor.jp/daiginjo9/

Bouryaku no Panzer was a one-shot from issue 2018-21/22. The first two are probably not going to be long projects.
--- Double Post Merged, ---
WSC 2019/01
Ashigei Shoujo Komura-san (Lead CP, New series by Haiba Nemumi)

Baki Dou
Yuenchi - Baki Gaiden
Yowamushi Pedal
Appare! Urayasu Tekkin Kazoku
Rokudou no Onnatachi (CP)
Magical Girl Site
BEASTARS
Rororro!
Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu (Special Chapter)
Himawari (CP)

Bell and Ring wa Kane Yahoo!
Atsumare! Fushigi Kenkyuubu
Harigane Service Ace
Mairimashita! Iruma-kun
'Ippon' Again
Boss Renoma - Shuujin RIku - Gaiden
The Vampire Dies in No Time
Junior
Oni no You na Love Comedy
Akatora
Mound no Taiyou
Furutto on Thursday

Preview 2019/2
Lead CP - Mairimashita Iruma-kun (Start 1st Character Popularity Poll)
CP - Rokudou no Onnatachi, BEASTARS

Worst Guriko Gaiden makes this round be one of the worst since i opened this thread.

Last edited:

Aipom626

Country
United States
Preview 2019/2
Lead CP - Mairimashita Iruma-kun (Start 1st Character Popularity Poll)
CP - Rokudou no Onnatachi, BEASTARS

Worst Goriko Gaiden makes this round be one of the worst since i opened this thread.
This is the greatest possible lineup for color pages next issue!! What's so bad about Worst Goriko Gaiden? Is it based off of an old oneshot or something?

Ihore

Country
United Kingdom
This is the greatest possible lineup for color pages next issue!! What's so bad about Worst Goriko Gaiden? Is it based off of an old oneshot or something?
Worst Gaiden Goriko is a spin off based on a character from the manga Worst (A big hit manga from Gekkan Champion)
For the round that opens the 50th year anniversary, it is underwhelming when two series are probably going to be short series. 1 was enough the Tezuka one.

I did not expect Panzer to be serialised that is a surprise to me but its a guy from Next Champion. His success if it happens could be used to promote the award. Especially since it has started there is being no one notable and only 2 received series but neither succeeded. Panzer was an ero comedy one-shot so it and ashigei adds a lot more ecchi material to the magazine with Rororro and Atsumare already providing some of that.

Aipom626

Country
United States
Worst Gaiden Goriko is a spin off based on a character from the manga Worst (A big hit manga from Gekkan Champion)
For the round that opens the 50th year anniversary, it is underwhelming when two series are probably going to be short series. 1 was enough the Tezuka one.

I did not expect Panzer to be serialised that is a surprise to me but its a guy from Next Champion. His success if it happens could be used to promote the award. Especially since it has started there is being no one notable and only 2 received series but neither succeeded. Panzer was an ero comedy one-shot so it and ashigei adds a lot more ecchi material to the magazine with Rororro and Atsumare already providing some of that.
Thanks for the explanation! I can see why that'd be a somewhat underwhelming start. That second series has a title long enough to be awarded its own light novel lol.

On a related note, I saw the first chapter of Ashigei, and it was surprisingly funnier than what I was expecting. The artwork is definitely a bit more simplistic than a lot of the rest of the magazine, but I think it actually works for the series. Some of the absurdities in the chapter were incredibly hilarious. They somehow managed to crank up some of the ecchi from the oneshot

Ihore

Country
United Kingdom
WSC 2019/02+03
Mairimashita! Iruma-kun (Start 1st Character Popularity Poll)

Yowamushi Pedal
Baki Dou
Yuenchi - Baki Gaiden
BEASTARS (CP)
Ashigei Shoujo Komura-san
Harigane Service Ace
'Ippon' Again
Rororro!
Himawari
Magical Girl Site
Junior
Mound no Taiyou
Akatora
Furutto on Thursday

Preview 2019/4+5
Lead CP - Yowamushi Pedal
CP - Appare! Urayasu Tekkin Kazoku, Magical Girl Site, Mairimashita Iruma-kun
One-shot - Baki Gaiden - Scar face, Sutobasu (One-shot by Yamauchi Shogo)
Absent - Baki Dou

Yamauchi Shogo is one of Paru's assistant, she was, you could say the runner up in the last next champion.

Last edited:

Aipom626

Country
United States
WSC 2019/02+03
Mairimashita! Iruma-kun (Start 1st Character Popularity Poll)

Yowamushi Pedal
Baki Dou
Yuenchi - Baki Gaiden
BEASTARS (CP)
Ashigei Shoujo Komura-san ( 2 chapters)

Harigane Service Ace
'Ippon' Again
Rororro!
Himawari
Magical Girl Site
Junior
Mound no Taiyou
Akatora
Furutto on Thursday

Preview 2019/4+5
Lead CP - Yowamushi Pedal
CP - Appare! Urayasu Tekkin Kazoku, Magical Girl Site, Mairimashita Iruma-kun
One-shot - Baki Gaiden - Scar face, Sutobasu (One-shot by Yamauchi Shogo)
Absent - Baki Dou

Yamauchi Shogo is one of Paru's assistant, she was, you could say the runner up in the last next champion.
Oof. I just looked at book-rank to see how Oni no You na Love Comedy did for its first volume....... not too stellar there. I'm pretty surprised seeing as how much it really seemed like it was being pushed, with the early color pages, long chapters, and official Twitter account.

Ihore

Country
United Kingdom
Kaida-san no Kaidan second volume is scheduled for release in February. I like kaida-san and I believe this is a sign that it will return possibly as a official series this time.
Somewhat amusing that Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu seems to be quite a bit more popular than Rororro!.

Aipom626

Country
United States
Kaida-san no Kaidan second volume is scheduled for release in February. I like kaida-san and I believe this is a sign that it will return possibly as a official series this time.
Somewhat amusing that Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu seems to be quite a bit more popular than Rororro!.
It looks like in terms of 3-day sales (12/7 - 12/9), Boku no Kokoro no Yabai Yatsu sold about 50% better than Rororro's third volume. However, neither one was a really large number (2K vs about 3.3K). This number is up a tiny bit from Rororro's volume 2 and down from volume 1.

I'm surprised they haven't given Kaida-san an official series yet since it seems like it keeps coming back over the past year. At this point, I feel like I'd just be happy for the author to finally get something steady with this series since he truly seems to enjoy working on it.

Ashigei Shoujo Komura-san is actually really funny. I'm by no means a foot-guy, but the super-exaggerated cartoony designs and scenes work really well with the type of humor the author seems to be going for. I hope this sticks around for awhile because I'm actually having quite a bit of fun with this one.

Ihore

Country
United Kingdom
i see the raws and 'Ippon' Again! looks really fun
Its a girls judo, school life drama manga with some yuri hints. I like it, it is the most unorthodox manga the current head editor has serialised.

Aipom626

Country
United States
Its a girls judo, school life drama manga with some yuri hints. I like it, it is the most unorthodox manga the current head editor has serialised.
I'm really curious to see how it'll sell once its first volume gets released. I've followed the raws a bit, and while I'm not completely sold on it, I do find it somewhat interesting just based on how different it is. Akatora, Mound and Junior all seem to be selling really poorly, with Oni and Himawari only doing a little bit better than them according to book-rank. Even if it could manage to sell a couple thousand copies, I think that'd be good enough for it to last for a little while, especially given how many of the new serializations seem to bomb lately

Ihore

Country
United Kingdom

Satou Kentarou giving a short interview for Sasuke - Ninja Warrior 2018. the actual program will be broadcast in the 31st of December.

BMC 2019 / 01
Sangoku Shibu Shouretsuden - Shoku no Shou - (Lead CP, New series by Yamaguchi Yoshiji)
Full Ahead!! Coco Zervance (Cover and CP)

Yowamushi Pedal Spare Bike (CP)
Reiri (CP, End)
Species Domain
Oshikake Maid no Shirayuki-san (CP)
Darwin's Game
N wa Null no N
Sensei, Shimekiri desu yo!!
Shoujo Seiten Beske des Kebes
AI no Idenshi Red Queen (CP)
Getter Robot Devolution
Eiyuu! Caesar-san
Dame X Dame no Yoru wa Kimi to Naki Akasou (One-shot by Fukichi Kamio)
Hanabi (One-shot by Arai Shuntarou)

Fenrir-neesan to Boku
INCOMPLETE ANIMALS

BMC 2019 - 02
Cover and Lead CP - Yowamushi Pedal Spare Bike
CP - Sangoku Shibu Shouretsuden - Shoku no Shou -, Sensei, Shimekiri desu yo!!

i will add the one-shots later.

Heiji

Country
Japan
Boss Renoma - Shuujin RIku - Gaiden, Mound no Taiyô & Akatora will end january 10 in 6th issue.

Last edited:

Aipom626

Country
United States
Boss Renoma - Shuujin RIku - Gaiden, Mound no Taiyô & Akatora will end january 10 in 6th issue.
Oh boy, it's Weekly Shonen Champion's legendary finishing move: the triple-ax! At least we now have exactly enough room for the 3 upcoming serializations. It looks like it Junior and Oni may be next in line for the danger zone. I can't say I'm positive how Ippon will sell since it's so different from anything I'm really knowledgeable about sales-wise, but given how many of the new WSC series have been selling lately, I'm a bit nervous for it. Himawari seems like it's on a downward trend when it never really had that great of sales in the first place, so it may be at risk too depending on how many new series the EiC wants to introduce around the same time. Mahou Shoujo Site could end naturally soon as well

Ihore

Country
United Kingdom
No surprises there. the last few chapters of Renoma showed that it was probably ending soon
Oh boy, it's Weekly Shonen Champion's legendary finishing move: the triple-ax! At least we now have exactly enough room for the 3 upcoming serializations. It looks like it Junior and Oni may be next in line for the danger zone. I can't say I'm positive how Ippon will sell since it's so different from anything I'm really knowledgeable about sales-wise, but given how many of the new WSC series have been selling lately, I'm a bit nervous for it. Himawari seems like it's on a downward trend when it never really had that great of sales in the first place, so it may be at risk too depending on how many new series the EiC wants to introduce around the same time. Mahou Shoujo Site could end naturally soon as well
I doubt Boss Renoma was cancelled, it was a small spin off to cover the lost of Samejima and it seemed to be ending either way from the last few chapters.
Looking forward to a new work by Seguchi Shinobu. Shuujin Riku only had a few chapters scanlated ages ago but it was a great series. It is nice to see things getting scanlated, atm i think more than half of the magazine has received scanlation at some point and some are quite active, decent stuff.
The other series you mentioned are probably the ones that will be heading for the chop in march is my guess.

In regards to Ippon sales, I cant predict but i hopeful due to the positive reaction i have to it.

Aipom626

Country
United States
No surprises there. the last few chapters of Renoma showed that it was probably ending soon

I doubt Boss Renoma was cancelled, it was a small spin off to cover the lost of Samejima and it seemed to be ending either way from the last few chapters.
Looking forward to a new work by Seguchi Shinobu. Shuujin Riku only had a few chapters scanlated ages ago but it was a great series. It is nice to see things getting scanlated, atm i think more than half of the magazine has received scanlation at some point and some are quite active, decent stuff.
The other series you mentioned are probably the ones that will be heading for the chop in march is my guess.

In regards to Ippon sales, I cant predict but i hopeful due to the positive reaction i have to it.
That makes sense. Hopefully your prediction is correct and Worst Gaiden won't stick around for too long. Looking back on a couple that I could easily find, WSC has had a surprising amount of pretty decent romcom oneshots over the past year or 2. Besides for Ashigei, Osanajimi wa Zenchizennou was my favorite one shot that was published this past year. A Kaida-san no Kaidan serialization could be interesting since it kind of felt like a Takagi-like teasing series but mixed with some light spooky elements. Kono Assassin ga Sugoi - Ayame hen from the prior year was pretty funny as well. If WSC ever wanted to, they could have a pretty promising lineup of romcoms with some gags just from their oneshots they'd published.

@Ihore In your opinion, what was the best one-shot that was published in Weekly Shonen Champion this past year? There were a lot that I never saw since the raws never really seemed to surface, but I'm guessing you probably got to see most if not all of them at least briefly
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I thought there was someone on here who had been posting about hoping that Atsumare translations would come out more quickly. For the past 2 days, there's been some anon on 4chan who started translating chapter 46 and is now currently in the middle of chapter 72. They are really blazing through the chapters, and the translations seem to be really high-quality. It may have been Reddit where someone was hoping for this to become more active, but either way, I'm personally happy to see this getting closer to the current chapter.

Ihore

Country
United Kingdom
That makes sense. Hopefully your prediction is correct and Worst Gaiden won't stick around for too long. Looking back on a couple that I could easily find, WSC has had a surprising amount of pretty decent romcom oneshots over the past year or 2. Besides for Ashigei, Osanajimi wa Zenchizennou was my favorite one shot that was published this past year. A Kaida-san no Kaidan serialization could be interesting since it kind of felt like a Takagi-like teasing series but mixed with some light spooky elements. Kono Assassin ga Sugoi - Ayame hen from the prior year was pretty funny as well. If WSC ever wanted to, they could have a pretty promising lineup of romcoms with some gags just from their oneshots they'd published.

@Ihore In your opinion, what was the best one-shot that was published in Weekly Shonen Champion this past year? There were a lot that I never saw since the raws never really seemed to surface, but I'm guessing you probably got to see most if not all of them at least briefly
Osanajimi and Kaida-san were probably my favourites from the lot but there were other good one like Bukiten and Katase.

I wonder if there will be more attempts to tap in the isekai trend with new series in 2018, I think it is a good idea. This was attempted with Wizard Club (which they actually had a novel publish online at the same time as the manga but of course the manga failing pretty much killed the project) , Great Old and Inferno. Iruma has also an aspect of this i guess.

Aipom626

Country
United States
Osanajimi and Kaida-san were probably my favourites from the lot but there were other good one like Bukiten and Katase.

I wonder if there will be more attempts to tap in the isekai trend with new series in 2018, I think it is a good idea. This was attempted with Wizard Club (which they actually had a novel publish online at the same time as the manga but of course the manga failing pretty much killed the project) , Great Old and Inferno. Iruma has also an aspect of this i guess.
I forgot all about Wizard Club. I didn't know it also had an online novel as well. Looks like they really tried to make that one succeed. Great Old and Inferno were both big flops, but I can imagine them trying to keep with it. I wouldn't mind seeing an isekai that starts off with a delinquent that's so cocky that he tries to take on truck-kun in a fight (purposely jumps in front of a moving truck to fight it/prove his strength) and gets teleported to a completely peaceful world that has no demon lord/evil king/etc. He'd then spend time trying to form his own delinquent gang out of totally useless people. Idk how long a concept like that could be stretched out, but at least it's different.

Heiji

Country
Japan
Harigane Service : 1-24 : 1 600 000.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)