Mag Talk - Weekly Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan) - Part 2 (2015 - 2021) | Page 141 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan) - Part 2 (2015 - 2021)

Your opinion about the 1st episode of Komi-san, wa Komyushou desu?

• Amazing

• Very Good

• Good

• Average

• Bad

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cody

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
I hope the mangaka finds better opportunities somewhere else. I'm really salty about Memesis ending.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Issue #9 features

So as I mentioned, this is the last features section the blog will have. I'll now thread my thoughts on the official (unofficial) twitter for the blog. The editorial series (Souboutei, RYOKO, Evans, etc) will still get their own section (Which as of now I'm not sure I'll add to once new serializations begin at some point.) but Birdmen and Yuugami will no longer be in that section and will be featured on the twitter. So if you're not following Wsstalkback on twitter and like Sunday you should!

I do humbly thank all of you for following me so far. I hope to eventually be the Sunday source you can rely on....mostly.

Inumaru

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
1/21-1/27 Shoseki Ranking estimations. (10 days)
6,147 Switch #03
5,094 Gofun Go no Sekai #03

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
1/21-1/27 Shoseki Ranking estimations. (10 days)
6,147 Switch #03
5,094 Gofun Go no Sekai #03
From what I had noticed, Sunday often times kept around series that sold in the 10k range. But now newer series seem to be struggling to get even the 10k number so I guess 5k-6k is kinda the new acceptable average for new series? Getting rid of everything that doesn't hit 10k per volume is probably going to be a really bad idea for the magazine's health. Sure you have the series from the veterans which are doing better (Kimi wa 008, Tonikaku Kawaii) and the Tea Time spin-off, but Sunday does not really have many other significant veterans they can suddenly bring back.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
6k for a new sport by a newbie seems really fine by Sunday current standards, they keep for a entire year mangas that didn't even charted in the top 500, Switch is 100% safe.

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
they keep for a entire year mangas that didn't even charted in the top 500
Wow, I had no idea they are struggling that bad. Though it's not surprising. Kodansha and Shueisha are eating it alive, especially in West. So sad.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, I had no idea they are struggling that bad. Though it's not surprising. Kodansha and Shueisha are eating it alive, especially in West. So sad.
It directly benefits Shogakukan for Shueisha to do well, so it doesn’t hurt too much

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Issue #9 editorial

RYOKO is super good. That is all. (Also Saike being on that list of manga people want to see adapted has also made me happy. Weirdly enough Shinobi no is also there...)

And man I feel like I need to join reddit. Someone linked the blog there again and I got a crazy amount of views.

TanisKa

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Russian Federation
Color spread for Tonikawa's anniversary in the next issue, but no cover(

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

Issue #10's thread. Somehow things got kinda weird but I'm working on fixing it somehow. Editorial before the end of the week.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

#10 Editorial section

A little late (hopefully that won't become a thing) but here it is. I admit probably the only interesting thing here is the TOC, but editorial is sticking around.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
I really like Undine of the Desert World, the concept is unusual but it works so well for a slow progress romcom and I appreciate the interesting setting. I'll be rooting for it. The art is really good so far.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

Now hopefully with less thread issues! Here's the features thread of Shounen Sunday #11!

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker

Now hopefully with less thread issues! Here's the features thread of Shounen Sunday #11!
So there's still hope for Ryoko? I thought it had no chances of making a comeback after it returned from hiatus but it looks like Sunday really believes in this property. Good luck!

I'm honestly hoping we see some anime announcements this year, it hurts my soul to see so many of the great series from the magazine not being promoted properly. Surely a production company like Aniplex or Ponycanyon have set their sights on at least Komi-san... :( (cries in Be Blues!, Yugami-kun, Birdmen, Maoujou de Oyasumi , Maiko-san, Evans :crying).

As for newer things, I think we can say for sure things like Tonikaku Kawaii and Zero's Tea Time will get anime adaptations eventually.

Out of the new batch of series, only Undine has caught my attention.

Oh and another thing I want from this year are less soul-crushing manga cancellations, please. :biblethump

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Well, what you often see in articles like the "Answerman" column on ANN, is the statement that "all anime studios are completely booked for the next three years in advance", meaning, that a newer series like Tonikaku Kawaii literally can't receive an anime for a few years. I guess maybe Sunday might've realized too late?

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Well, what you often see in articles like the "Answerman" column on ANN, is the statement that "all anime studios are completely booked for the next three years in advance", meaning, that a newer series like Tonikaku Kawaii literally can't receive an anime for a few years. I guess maybe Sunday might've realized too late?
I guess that might have caught them by surprise, the anime industry probably hasn't ever been as busy as it is now. It's not impossible to secure a studio though, as we have seen with many recent anime series from other magazines. You also have older ongoing manga from Sunday which should have had anime adaptations by now, but I guess Shogakukan/Sunday hasn't been doing a good enough of a job at trying to secure production companies to fund anime for their popular/promising series. This year I really hope to see a better effort from Sunday in general when it comes to promoting their successful titles, since they have some really great content to work with and there's a lot of potential for growth.

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!

Sorry if this is sudden or awkward. I’m actually new to the forum, so I’ve basically been lurking around, reading the discussion here and on other weekly magazines for a bit.

I’ve been meaning to get into more manga, especially outside of Jump. Do you guys have any good recommendations from this magazine? I’d love to hear them! Some of them I’ve had my eye on for a while, but it’s always nice to get more opinions!

Tymano

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello!

Sorry if this is sudden or awkward. I’m actually new to the forum, so I’ve basically been lurking around, reading the discussion here and on other weekly magazines for a bit.

I’ve been meaning to get into more manga, especially outside of Jump. Do you guys have any good recommendations from this magazine? I’d love to hear them! Some of them I’ve had my eye on for a while, but it’s always nice to get more opinions!
From Sunday stuff that is currently running, I recommend Birdmen, Be Blues, Komi-san, Soukyuu no Ariadne, Sheriff Evans, Yugami-kun, RYOKO, Maiko-san, Gofun go no sekai, Souboutei Kowasubeshi, Undine of the desert world, and Tonikaku Cawaii. Detective Conan and Zettai Karen Children as well if you want to go for the long haul. Also Silver Spoon is on hiatus, but I recommend that as well.

From already completed stuff, I recommend Gash Bell, Kekkaishi, Touch, Magi, Flame of Recca, Kyou Kare Ore Wa, anything by Adachi or Rumiko, Saike Mateshitemo, and Marry Grave. The last 2 are still being translated, but I really like both of them.

Last edited:

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Hello!

Well it depends what your tastes are. But here's what I currently read and recommend. I'll keep things short.

Gin no Saji - Fantastic slice of life agricultural school manga, one of my favorites from the magazine, it's on hiatus a lot but it's something I highly recommend.

Be Blues - Beautifully drawn soccer sports manga. (I haven't read much of it and I want to fix that soon).

Yugami-kun - Really funny school slice of life series. It has a really weird main character but he makes the whole series worth it.

Birdmen - Very unusual action shonen manga. Beautifully drawn and very underrated.

Souboutei Kowasu Beshi - Insane action horror supernatural manga. If you want a crazy intense ride try it out.

Komi-san wa, Komyu-shou desu. - Very charming slice of life school comedy series about making friends. The main character has a tough time
communicating with others and the whole series is all about meeting new people.

Maoujou de Oyasumi - Very funny fantasy dungeon style comedy series about a sleepy kidnapped princess. She only cares about getting the best sleep she can and that's what makes this series fun.

Maiko-san chi no Makanai-san - Incredibly comfy slice of life series, very relaxing fun time and it has a fascinating topic.

Hoankan Evans no Uso: Dead or Love - An amazing western style romcom. The characters and the comedy are consistently great.

Tantei Xeno to Nanatsu no Satsujin Misshitsu - Awesome detective story. Great main characters and a lot of intense moments all around!

Ariadne in the Blue Sky - Open world adventure fantasy series. Gorgeous art and a large world to explore. Translations are kinda dead.

Undine of the Desert World - Weird premise romcom but it works. You'll understand it when you see it.

Edit: This is only a list of ongoing things.

Koni

Reaction score
Country
United States
From Sunday stuff that is currently running, I recommend Birdmen, Be Blues, Komi-san, Soukyuu no Ariadne, Sheriff Evans, Yugami-kun, RYOKO, Maiko-san, Gofun go no sekai, Souboutei Kowasubeshi, Undine of the desert world, and Tonikaku Cawaii. Detective Conan and Zettai Karen Children as well if you want to go for the long haul. Also Silver Spoon is on hiatus, but I recommend that as well.

From already completed stuff, I recommend Gash Bell, Kekkaishi, Touch, Magi, Flame of Recca, Kyou Kare Ore Wa, anything by Adachi or Rumiko, Saike Mateshitemo, and Marry Grave. The last 2 are still being translated, but I really like both of them.
Well it depends what your tastes are. But here's what I currently read and recommend. I'll keep things short.

Gin no Saji - Fantastic slice of life agricultural school manga, one of my favorites from the magazine, it's on hiatus a lot but it's something I highly recommend.

Be Blues - Beautifully drawn soccer sports manga. (I haven't read much of it and I want to fix that soon).

Yugami-kun - Really funny school slice of life series. It has a really weird main character but he makes the whole series worth it.

Birdmen - Very unusual action shonen manga. Beautifully drawn and very underrated.

Souboutei Kowasu Beshi - Insane action horror supernatural manga. If you want a crazy intense ride try it out.

Komi-san wa, Komyu-shou desu. - Very charming slice of life school comedy series about making friends. The main character has a tough time
communicating with others and the whole series is all about meeting new people.

Maoujou de Oyasumi - Very funny fantasy dungeon style comedy series about a sleepy kidnapped princess. She only cares about getting the best sleep she can and that's what makes this series fun.

Maiko-san chi no Makanai-san - Incredibly comfy slice of life series, very relaxing fun time and it has a fascinating topic.

Hoankan Evans no Uso: Dead or Love - An amazing western style romcom. The characters and the comedy are consistently great.

Tantei Xeno to Nanatsu no Satsujin Misshitsu - Awesome detective story. Great main characters and a lot of intense moments all around!

Ariadne in the Blue Sky - Open world adventure fantasy series. Gorgeous art and a large world to explore. Translations are kinda dead.

Undine of the Desert World - Weird premise romcom but it works. You'll understand it when you see it.

Edit: This is only a list of ongoing things.
Woah, a lot of these seem pretty cool. Thank you, guys! To answer your inquiry about preferences, I can honestly read just about anything, though I tend to read romances more often than not because those usually end up being popular in the manga community, and I like the genre anyways. Still, more variety is always appreciated.

It's really a shame there aren't anime for many of these yet - I think Komi-san has almost 200 chapters, for example, yet still nothing.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
So there's still hope for Ryoko? I thought it had no chances of making a comeback after it returned from hiatus but it looks like Sunday really believes in this property. Good luck!

I'm honestly hoping we see some anime announcements this year, it hurts my soul to see so many of the great series from the magazine not being promoted properly. Surely a production company like Aniplex or Ponycanyon have set their sights on at least Komi-san... :( (cries in Be Blues!, Yugami-kun, Birdmen, Maoujou de Oyasumi , Maiko-san, Evans :crying).

As for newer things, I think we can say for sure things like Tonikaku Kawaii and Zero's Tea Time will get anime adaptations eventually.

Out of the new batch of series, only Undine has caught my attention.

Oh and another thing I want from this year are less soul-crushing manga cancellations, please. :biblethump
I'd say Shoggy seems to really have faith in the series still (RYOKO) they've been advertising the hell out of it since it's return and it's (aside from Souboutei Birdmen and Aridane --forgive me if I forgot something else, sorta tired) one of the few pure action series. That being said it wasn't doing all that hot when volume one was released --around the level of 5 minutes/switch I think (and that's by a veteran.) And that was when they were heavily advertising it back then too. For now I just want the series to not be cancelled immediately --which ultimately depends on how the other newcomers do.

Komi's almost undoubtedly going to get an anime....when is the question more than if. The others I'm not so sure about, but Saike made it on a list of anime people want to see (which pleases me to no end.) Evans will probably only be in that strike zone once it's comfortably in it's second year. For whatever reason, WSS likes there to be a huge buffer in series which is great in having lots of material but bad in striking when the iron is hot like Jump and Magazine does.

Hello!

Most folks have given you good recommendations here. I'd probably only throw in Fukuchi's library (Ueki, Ueki + Takkoku and Anagle Mole) as well as Fujita's (Ushio, Karakuri, Gekkou Jourei) Maybe Dagashikashi if no one has recc'd that~

On that note I forgot to mention that me and my gf started a group and we're gonna try to bring some of Aoyama's Pre-Conan work to ya. Scope our first release here. We're operating under the group name "Ahotoxin4649" so give us a look see, and expect more manga!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.