1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Want to try an epicly kawaii RPG? Check this out!
  3. Time for a new Poem Art Contest! Submissions for Love Story Poem Contest has begun. Pour your sweet love memories into a poem!

Also, you may vote for your favorite piece in the Bad Weather Photography Contest !

The winner of Summer Art Contest is Valhalla777 and Seraph ! Congratulations!
  4. The Manga League is finally here!
  5. The MangaHelpers Waifu Wars 2018 have concluded. Celebrate the winners now!
  6. The new season of the Anime League is here!
  7. Join Shiki's quest through space to find new Nakama!
  8. [​IMG]
    We are starting with chapter 1 on August 19th.
  9. Want to read legit manga from Mangahelpers?! Get in here!

Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan) - Part 2

Discussion in 'Manga News' started by StrangerAtaru, Sep 9, 2015.

1. cody

cody Registered User

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member

Joker
    The drop for Sunday was much more dramatic.

2. ChocoBar9

ChocoBar9 Registered User

United States
    Most people who leave Jump have nothing but positive things to say about the experience with them in fact Shuiesha had a good track record with artist up until the Kishiro lawsuit. Kodansha soured their reputation with artist when they tried to past a clause which would give them the right to keep rights for all their publications and to replace their artists which did not sit well with them at all. Even before the Raiko lawsuit Shogakukan had a really shaky track record with artists and their practices were criticized, the lawsuit was just a huge blemish on them because Raiku stated he doesn't want publishers and their editors to look down on manga artists and the reason why they lost is because they underestimated him and now we're seeing firsthand Shogakukan's practices catching up with them with losing close to 2 million in circulation and struggling to find new talent for their lineup. The thing is that they themselves acknowledged this problem and they've been trying to fix it which is more than I can say for Kodansha who is just contempt with pushing out trash and stealing artists from other publishers.

3. ruggia

ruggia Registered User

South Korea
    One of the first things the current editor in chief did when he got the job was to publicly acknowledge that Sunday has been run poorly in the last decade or so and hasn't been treating their authors properly.

That was the publishers as a whole lobbying for a new digital rights legislation, not just Kodansha, and it was still weaker than what's practiced in most countries outside of Japan. Akamatsu didn't like that mangaka were not being included in the discussion when the proposal was getting drafted, but he was fully on board with it once he learned the details, and helped lobby for a similar one in 2015 that ultimately passed.

cody and ChocoBar9 like this.
  4. Silverblade

Silverblade Registered User

Lithuania
    Of course, Sunday has plenty of issues to address. Not even the editorial department denies that. It's just that singling it out as the only magazine to do mangaka wrong or turn this into some kind of competition is not the best course for discussion. I mean, if we want to talk exaggerations, Jump thread is always there just two clicks away.

Jump had 6,53 million in 1995, 1,84 million in 2018. 72% drop.
    Magazine had 4,36 million in 1995, 841 thousand in 2018. 81% drop.
    Sunday had 1,4 (1,7) million in 1995 (1998), 311 thousand today. 77% (82%) drop.

Dramatic indeed. Not really.

5. cody

cody Registered User

Joker
    I was thinking of the last decade to be honest.

6. Heiji

Heiji Registered User

Japan
    Memesis 1st volume will be out 18/05.

Torca and cody like this.
  7. Torca

Torca Registered User

Poland
    If Memesis will be out in May than 008 must be released then too. It got more pages upon being released one issue prior to Memes, the battle of the new series on the same day shall continue!

I'm really happy with Karakuri getting anime, now do it for a series in the current line-up you bastards! Juliet random anime announcement gives me tiny, tiny bit of hope that Komi-san will get something soon.

8. cody

cody Registered User

Joker
    This, I want to see adaptations for Birdmen, Komi and Yugami-kun for starters.

RafaFedKilla likes this.
  9. iceemperor

iceemperor Registered User

Mariejoa
    [​IMG]
    At the party for Aoyama and Takahashi for both of them reaching 200 million copies in print, Aoyama announed that he just finished a chapter of Conan last week and said it would be back and Takahashi also announced that she would start a new series in Sunday.

Edit: This tweet is by an editor who deals with the Sunday and "Big" magazine labels. He deleted this tweet but someone of 5ch was able to get the screenshot.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
    CallMeTsuyu, Torca and ChocoBar9 like this.
  10. cody

cody Registered User

Joker
    Great, another new threat to the newer manga. I wasn't a fan of Rinne, hopefully her new work is much better, but I have my doubts, she should just go to a different Shogakukan magazine, newer talents deserve a chance as well in Sunday.

11. iceemperor

iceemperor Registered User

Mariejoa
    I personally will not raise my hopes up. Takahashi is honestly just rehashing the same stuff she "invented" back in the 80s and 90s. Sure there are some differences but I don't feel the "life" I felt with her older series though that may just be my bias. She's basically a mainstay in Sunday. When has there been, if there has been one, a time period without a Takahashi series?

cody likes this.
  12. cody

cody Registered User

Joker
    You are right, she is a mainstay and I guess that won't be changing anytime soon.

13. Torca

Torca Registered User

Poland
    Well we don't know what this'll be about so I'll hold my breath for comments if her come-back is good or not.

Urusei Yatsura got anniversary this year is there perhaps a chance... for a sequel? Like, not a fully fledged series but something shorter for her last series in the main mag and anime remake planned?

14. cody

cody Registered User

Joker
    I mean, regardless if her come-back is good or not, she basically has immunity, right? She can't be touched... xD

The idea of a Urusei Yatsura anniversary project sounds nice.

15. Serinox

Serinox Registered User

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member

Imperium of Mankind
    To be more precised, he finished the manuscript for a new Conan chapter last week. If he starts (or has already started) to draw it this week and finishes it within a week, the new chapter could be released in the Sunday issue on April 11, which would be the same week as the Conan Movie 22 release (April 13), for those sweet synergy effects. Probably will get a cover for both these events as well, if the manga comeback really happens in that week as well.

I'm excited for another Takahashi series in Weekly Sunday, mainly because I don't really like to follow monthly series, so her potentially going to Gessan like Adachi would've been a downer for me. Rinne was decent; maybe somewhat mediocre, but I think people tend to treat it like a bad series just because it wasn't as big a hit as her previous series. Still, Rinne doesn't prevent me from being positively excited, just by the virtue of the Rumiko Takahashi "brand name" alone :D

16. BanzaiMang

BanzaiMang Registered User

United States
  17. Heiji

Heiji Registered User

Japan
  18. cody

cody Registered User

Joker
    I guess Shinobi has Shogakukan's full backing, so it should be safer-ish?

19. Nemesis

Nemesis Registered User

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member

Brazil
    I was thinking before and Takahashi is maybe the bigger female mangaka in Japan. This woman has more than 5 hits in her manga with these selling really well.

20. cody

cody Registered User

Joker
    She's basically a God. Her influence on manga and anime culture was absolutely massive, so it's no surprise she's one of the powerhouses of Japan.