Mag Talk - Weekly Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan) - Part 2 (2015 - 2021) | Page 194 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan) - Part 2 (2015 - 2021)

Your opinion about the 1st episode of Komi-san, wa Komyushou desu?

• Amazing

• Very Good

• Good

• Average

• Bad

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States

This week's thread! I got lucky it snowed so my job got called off, but it'll likely be later than this for now on. Also I'm almost completely sold on PingKong which is simultaneously surprising and not so much.

Serinox

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Dunno if this exact date was known yet, but the second part of the Major 2nd anime starts April 4th

Blue Rock

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
Shounen Sunday 2020/06

Cover: Yofukashi no Uta

Yofukashi no Uta
MAO
Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san
Major 2nd
Ping Kong (Color)
Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu.
Sennou Shitsuji
Tonikaku Cawaii
Kimi wa 008
Usotsuki
Souboutei Kowasu Beshi
Daiku no Hatou
Ponkotsu-chan Kenshochu
Be Blues! - Ao ni Nare
Maou-jou de Oyasumi
Amano Megumi wa Suki Darake!
Nokemono-tachi no Yoru
Aozakura Bouei Daigakukou Monogatari
Yukosae Tatakaeba
Soukyuu no Ariadne
Switch
Hoankan Evans no Uso
Fire Rabbit!!
Youkai Giga
Tokaichi Hitoribocchi Nouen

Preview 07
Lead Color:
Aozakura Bouei Daigakukou Monogatari
Color: Nokemono-tachi no Yoru, Sennou Shitsuji
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Oricon Top 50, December 23-29

(12/18)
- 12d
#23 - Detective Conan v97 - 97,765 / 354,598

Shounen Sunday S
- (12/18) - 12d
#45 - Detective Conan: Hannin no Hanzawa-san v5 - 26,285 / 84,080

Shoseki Weekly, December 23-29

(12/18)
- 12d
#85 - Sobuoutei Kowasubeshi v15 - 14,940 / 45,284
- Zettai Karen Children v56 - 5,790 / 22,477

(12/12)
- 18d
#275 - Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san v12 - 5,163 / 46,085

(11/18)
- 42d
#120 - Detective Conan: Zero's Tea Time v4 - 10,880 / 236,485
- Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu. v15 - 4,210 / 131,637

Sunday Webry
- (12/12) - 18d
#356 - Shinigami Bocchan to Kuro Maid v8 - 4,078 / 29,143

Oricon Top 50, December 30 - January 5

(12/18)
- 19d
#28 - Detective Conan v97 - 53,142 / 407,840

Shoseki Weekly, December 30 - January 5

(12/18)
- 19d
#253 - Sobuoutei Kowasubeshi v15 - 5,614 / 50,898

(12/12)
- 25d
#476 - Maiko-san Chi no Makanai-san v12 - 2,756 / 48,841

(11/18)
- 49d
#94 - Detective Conan: Zero's Tea Time v4 - 11,276 / 247,761
- Komi-san wa Komyushou Desu. v15 - 4,496 / 136,133
- MAO v2
#475 - Yofukashi no Uta v1

Sunday Webry - 12/12 (25d)
#421 - Shinigami Bocchan to Kuro Maid v8 - 3,114 / 32,257

Shounen Sunday S
- 12/18 (19d)
#53 - Detective Conan: Hannin no Hanzawa-san v5 - 21,362 / 105,442

Rain Spectre

Reaction score
Country
Australia

Silver Spoon: 17 Million
Mad kudos to Arakawa. Adding in FMA and Arslan, that put her at, what, at least 70 million in total volumes sold?

She's now behind just Takahashi herself as the most successful female mangaka out there.

Aeneas

Reaction score
Country
Italy
Mad kudos to Arakawa. Adding in FMA and Arslan, that put her at, what, at least 70 million in total volumes sold?

She's now behind just Takahashi herself as the most successful female mangaka out there.
And worldwide, close to 90.

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
FMA alone was 70 million already.

Also, don't forget Fumiya Sato (artist of Kindaichi and Detective School Q) in the category of most successful female mangaka, she might currently still edge out Arakawa.

Rain Spectre

Reaction score
Country
Australia
So, this is something I've been debating about, do you guys think Sunday's focus on keeping its veteran authors around is to the detriment of the magazine? Because its kinda conspicuous how about half of the authors in the magazine have been part of it for at least 10 years, with a number going much longer. Consider this, the four big hits of the 2010s for them, Magi, Silver Spoon, Dagashi (and likely Yofukashi as well) and Komi were all done by either new creators, or ones from outside Sunday itself.

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Meh, it's not like Sunday didn't give newbies and outside creators plenty of chances 🤷‍♀️

OniluapL

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
So, this is something I've been debating about, do you guys think Sunday's focus on keeping its veteran authors around is to the detriment of the magazine? Because its kinda conspicuous how about half of the authors in the magazine have been part of it for at least 10 years, with a number going much longer. Consider this, the four big hits of the 2010s for them, Magi, Silver Spoon, Dagashi (and likely Yofukashi as well) and Komi were all done by either new creators, or ones from outside Sunday itself.
I mean, there are many, many failed newbies as well (and it doesn't really make sense to mention Arakawa in the same breath as the others, sure, she's new to Sunday but she's also one of the most famous creators alive, it's not like Sunday can pick up people on that level regularly), and besides, a lot of the hits (not huge hits, exactly, but Sunday needs whatever it can get) also came from veterans: Souboutei, Major 2nd, MAO, the Conan spin-offs, even Yofukashi would be considered a veteran returning right now. There's also stuff like Kimi wa 008 and Tonikaku, which aren't great sellers, but do solidly enough to help the magazine. That isn't to say Sunday have no problems with it's system right now, but it's more complicated, I think.

Thehoennhippo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Considering that off the top of my head, all the vets in Sunday have mildly successful manga running, so I don't think it's a bad approach at all.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sunday isn’t lacking for newcomer success, honestly, or even big sophomore series from previously cancelled authors. Switch is endlessly reprinted and consistently doing crossover promotions, Amano Megumi has been comfortably performing for years, Komi-san is phenomenally huge (a second title after the bomb of Dezicon), Sleepy Princess has an anime coming and sells well... so we’ve got successes from both newcomers and veterans, as others mentioned above. So like... everything functions? Nothing detrimental is going on in any case.
Veterans are great for a legacy magazine’s image, and newcomers are the fresh blood that sustains it moving forward, and Sunday actually balances these better than most, while continuing to clearly focus on publishing stories they find interesting over hunting hits (The Ninth Wave persists for a reason, and Youkai Giga more so)

Tymano

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I mean, there are many, many failed newbies as well (and it doesn't really make sense to mention Arakawa in the same breath as the others, sure, she's new to Sunday but she's also one of the most famous creators alive, it's not like Sunday can pick up people on that level regularly), and besides, a lot of the hits (not huge hits, exactly, but Sunday needs whatever it can get) also came from veterans: Souboutei, Major 2nd, MAO, the Conan spin-offs, even Yofukashi would be considered a veteran returning right now. There's also stuff like Kimi wa 008 and Tonikaku, which aren't great sellers, but do solidly enough to help the magazine. That isn't to say Sunday have no problems with it's system right now, but it's more complicated, I think.
I know you mentioned Arakawa being a veteran before, but I can't believe you didn't mention Ohtaka as well, since she published Sumomomo with Square Enix before she moved to Sunday and started Magi, sure it wasn't as big as FMA but I feel it's at least worth mentioning.

Thundercat27

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Sunday isn’t lacking for newcomer success, honestly, or even big sophomore series from previously cancelled authors. Switch is endlessly reprinted and consistently doing crossover promotions, Amano Megumi has been comfortably performing for years, Komi-san is phenomenally huge (a second title after the bomb of Dezicon), Sleepy Princess has an anime coming and sells well... so we’ve got successes from both newcomers and veterans, as others mentioned above. So like... everything functions? Nothing detrimental is going on in any case.
Veterans are great for a legacy magazine’s image, and newcomers are the fresh blood that sustains it moving forward, and Sunday actually balances these better than most, while continuing to clearly focus on publishing stories they find interesting over hunting hits (The Ninth Wave persists for a reason, and Youkai Giga more so)
While I don't agree with your view, I like how optimistic you are. Just what I can expect from the sole reader of the Ninth Wave.

RafaFedKilla

Reaction score
Country
United States
I read it too brah!
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I read it too brah!

Status
Not open for further replies.