Mag Talk - Weekly Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan) - Part 2 (2015 - 2021) | Page 244 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan) - Part 2 (2015 - 2021)

Your opinion about the 1st episode of Komi-san, wa Komyushou desu?

• Amazing

• Very Good

• Good

• Average

• Bad

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Daiku will be here forever....

But which series are exactly ending or at least it really looks like are ending?

Koni

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you guys think Sunday's going to experience what Jump experienced in 2020? Just a bunch of veterans ending, in addition to axes? It would be... devastating to the magazine IMO and might truly make for a wake-up call to serialize new series.

ruggia

Reaction score
Country
South Korea
Dunno if this was mentioned already, but first print run of Frieren volume 1 was 80K.
Seems like something in the ballpark of 20K is more common for a typical Sunday rookie.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Dunno if this was mentioned already, but first print run of Frieren volume 1 was 80K.
Seems like something in the ballpark of 20K is more common for a typical Sunday rookie.

80k is something impressive even for Shonen Jump today.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you guys think Sunday's going to experience what Jump experienced in 2020? Just a bunch of veterans ending, in addition to axes? It would be... devastating to the magazine IMO and might truly make for a wake-up call to serialize new series.
Sort of. Unlike jump they're a lot less likely to axe something just because it isn't doing well, look at Daiku and Ariadane as examples. Veterans ending however is a very real thing that's happening and they should be actively trying to run more series, I agree. I know Ichihara is concerned with running things that pass rigorous standard check which is why they're less serialization happy as WSJ or WSM but the downside to this of course is less new serials, and the fact that no one knows what'll be a hit until it is a hit.

Either way they do need to get moving on more serials sooner rather than later.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Daiku will be here forever....

But which series are exactly ending or at least it really looks like are ending?
Amano Megumi and Souboutei. The former has revealed its in its final arc, and the latter doesn't have much else left in its story. Zettai Karen children has five chapters left at this point, Fukuchi has said Ponkotsu is reaching its climax, and while it seems like Kimi wa 008 has more left to go than originally thought I can't say that it's position sales wise guarantees much. That being said with the situation the magazine is in right now I can see them keeping it around a la Daiku until something else comes along.

Yokai Giga also could possibly end soon.

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Sort of. Unlike jump they're a lot less likely to axe something just because it isn't doing well, look at Daiku and Ariadane as examples. Veterans ending however is a very real thing that's happening and they should be actively trying to run more series, I agree. I know Ichihara is concerned with running things that pass rigorous standard check which is why they're less serialization happy as WSJ or WSM but the downside to this of course is less new serials, and the fact that no one knows what'll be a hit until it is a hit.

Either way they do need to get moving on more serials sooner rather than later.
I feel like the axing part only holds true to veterans lately. Newbies were cut without any issues, even if from what we can tell Nokemono got much more going than Daiku (sales, interest in markets abroad), it was cut before it. A lot of new series by newbies were cancelled within only 2 volumes which didn't happen before or happened very rarely.
I also believe this should mean that there will be more series published but ironically since Ichihara started to cut series with only 2-3 volumes, it's been reversed and we had as few serializations as it's humanly possible.

Yaneura Cisco that was with Sunday/Shogakukan for 4/5 years (one-shots, assistant to Ryo Minenami when they were serializing Hatsukoi), started a new series in Jump + this week. Wishing the best of luck, sad that another promising rookie is going to other publisher.

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Gosho Aoyama stated in his AC messages that he has drafted a new cover drawing for Sunday, which will probably be on the cover for when Detective Conan returns in Sunday #34/2021 on July 21st.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

--- Double Post Merged, ---

Late (and I still haven't seen Nintendo's e3 presentation so you can totally tell where my priorities are) but it's here. The issue was a breezy read this week in a good way. Still mildly concerned about how many series seem to be ending, but at this point I'm just gonna let go and see where Shoggy takes me.

Last edited:

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Great cover, actually surprised with how light they're going with Frieren covers yet considering how big its getting

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

Sadly it doesn't seem like the anime moved the needle too much for Sleepy Princess, but merch seems to do well for it. Let's hope Komi's upcoming anime has a bit more luck.

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Status
Not open for further replies.