Mag Talk - Weekly Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan) - Part 2 (2015 - 2021) | Page 253 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Sunday (Shogakukan) - Part 2 (2015 - 2021)

Your opinion about the 1st episode of Komi-san, wa Komyushou desu?

• Amazing

• Very Good

• Good

• Average

• Bad

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Mangahelper
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I think it was a good series for what it was: an ecchi fanservice comedy with a decent amount of romcom elements inserted. And it did that well.

The discourse around the series in some places however shifted towards being all about wanting romance progress, as if the series were a straight up romance or at least a typical romcom with some ecchi elements inserted, and always complaining about too many chapters with just fanservice and no romance progress. This feels really weird to me, because Amano Megumi is in my eyes not a romcom series with some ecchi gags, but rather the other way around. Heck, it is even in the title, "Amano Megumi is full of openings", i.e. ecchi moments. That's the entire point, lol.
Both western readers and the author fault tbf, the first is because from what i got after all these years reading discussions/comments and etc, a good portion of western readers/watchers have a problem with understanding the concept that a manga/anime story doesn't need to have "something important happening" to be good, they always want something to happen in order to have some validation so it doesn't feel like they're wasting time or that a series is good, i saw this kind of attitude many and many times, some people are just fixated with what they consider as "plot", in any genre. But i also think it wouldn't hurt if Nekoguchi did more in terms of romance or at least level up the ecchi/lewdness, maybe to not make it feel a bit stale sometimes but well, the manga ended already, looking forward to his new series.

Gash bell getting a pop up store for it's 20th anniversary & illustrations from anime CD

From Raiku twitter

Illustration from CD, Ken Otsuka

Wish Toei can do a reboot...maybe that's their next reboot after Dragon Quest , do it Toei :hip
lol 208k likes from Raiku post, Gash Bell still big huh, never really watched (i know, shame on me), would totally do if Toei makes a reboot, the anime didn't cover the entire manga right?

Mammo

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
no, they toned down the manga dark themes and violence a lot to make it more kid-friendly and sell merch

also the anime is filled with um... ah...fillers

if Toei gonna give it a reboot it should be done by the team that's doing Dragon Quest, those people know exactly what they're are doing

Serinox

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
I wonder what the rights situation with the Gash Bell manga is.

Makoto Raiku vowed to cut all ties with Shogakukan after he sued them, resulting in a civil trial where both parties agreed to a settlement. Afterwards, he went to Kodansha to create Animal Land and the bunkoban release of Gash Bell was also published by Kodansha. Did they ever officially acquire all the rights to the series, like it happened with Shaman King? Or just for the bunkoban release?

Because afterwards, Raiku published a digital kanzenban edition of the manga with his own company, BIRGDIN BOARD Corp., which was then later released physically in cooperation with Kraken Books under their sublabel Kraken Comics, with the kanzenban release of Gash Bell apparently being their only published manga.

Last edited:

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone

Talkback thread is gonna be late today so I thought I'd get this interesting info out now at least.
A female editor? Can she even understand the hearts of boys? I think not :cheez

Jokes and cheap shots aside, this is really cool. Hopefully she and Rumiko will have a fruitful working relationship.

Tymano

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
A female editor? Can she even understand the hearts of boys? I think not :cheez

Jokes and cheap shots aside, this is really cool. Hopefully she and Rumiko will have a fruitful working relationship.
It's really a huge step up seeing Sunday having female editors considering that what happened with Arata's editor wasn't that long ago. Hope other shounen magazines as well follow this step.

Thundercat27

Reaction score
Country
The Wall

Talkback thread is gonna be late today so I thought I'd get this interesting info out now at least.
Based move, Sunday.
What and learn, bigot dumbass Jump editors.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
work has been slaying me but I hope to get the thread out tonight. Until then enjoy this.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

And finally the thread. Hopefully it'll be less late next week. Gotta say I really felt Frieren's absence even with strong chapters from Call of The Night, Komi, and Kage to Kage.

Torca

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Huh, wow. Did the anime for Tonikaku and SLeepy Princess really do noting for the manga sales? I thought there would be at least some notable boost, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I'll play Devil's Advocate here. Following is just my opinion:

Yeah, the entire point of the series was the ecchi. However, having actual romantic progress and ecchi isn't exactly mutually exclusive - see High School DxD for example. IMO, the problem with romcoms like these is that the initial premise tends to wear itself thin fairly quickly and the characters aren't usually compelling enough to pry people's attention away from the romance. (Then again, shipping is a very powerful motivator for people to watch a series in general.) Thus, the only developments people really care about are the romantic ones - it is a romcom, after all, but since most romcoms don't usually have their leads become a couple until they end, the manga just ends up feeling as if it goes nowhere until that point. It's worse with Amano Megumi since from a chapter count standpoint, Amano Megumi is long. Longer than Nisekoi, Senryuu Shoujo, Quintuplets, and We Never Learn - all of which IMO have premises that last longer than Amano. And last I remember, there have been moments where it baits the idea of the main leads becoming a couple before quickly backtracking.

Meanwhile, pairing people up midway through a series after some buildup instead of at the end, I find, makes said series more memorable - Kaguya-sama, Jitsu Wa, and even Chivalry of a Failed Knight will still be talked about for that reason. People want to see a couple they put stock in actually be a couple, do couple things, and take on life together (there's a reason as to why Clannad: After Story is regarded as one of the best romance anime ever, after all, while you don't hear many people talk about the first season). Now, I'm not saying that Amano Megumi should be like Clannad, but...people are kind of tired of the same old romcom, I guess. You can have Amano and the MC as a couple and still be full of openings, ya know? People would enjoy it more. Hell, you can even come up with interesting scenariosthat take advantage of that.

TL;DR: There isn't much to be invested in besides the fanservice and the romance, but the fanservice doesn't exactly keep people reading in the long term, so people look at the romance - and get frustrated because the romance barely progresses over long periods of time.

This si a bit sloppy, but it's really late at night here. Just wanted to say my piece.
Pretty good points and how I felt about Amano.

If it was a fan service series why don't they introduce other characters to get more variety? Showing Megumi ass and tits in different angles and clothes got repetitive by the 8th volume.
If it was romcom, why there's no progress in the romance of the main couple? Instead, we get zero progress for the two and a random love rival in this manga's last stretch.
If it was more slice-of-lifish take on a romcom, then why even bother introducing other love rivals?

There's nothing wrong with the way Amano was, but the steady fall of sales and criticism it got was there for a reason. It was just a little too frustrating and boring to read for quite some time and sadly author decided to do something with it a far too late into the series.

Last edited:

OtterBrigade

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Potentially it could be like Blue Period going up weekly just 2 weeks after Japan (which isn't great but better than months after it ends). Guess we'll have to wait for Netflix's official announcement.

Kolbe

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Italy
To the people that read it, does Detective Conan seems like it may end soon? I remember watching the anime as a kid and it was just so comfy

Serinox

Reaction score
Country
Dragonstone
Frieren got an official Twitter account today:

To the people that read it, does Detective Conan seems like it may end soon? I remember watching the anime as a kid and it was just so comfy
Depends on your definition of "soon" for a longrunner like Conan. It will probably end this decade, but I don't think it will end within the next year or two.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

The talk back for the week! Great things from most chapters this week with Call of the Night and MAO continuing their winning streak. Since Kurachi's note said she's more or less working on a new serial now, I wonder if this was her (re) introduction to WSS for a future series there?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Status
Not open for further replies.