Mag Talk - Weekly Young Jump (2007 - 2021) | Page 126 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Young Jump (2007 - 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aipom626

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States

As you can see by this huge chart, quite a few series have had the honor of gracing the pages of Weekly Young Jump during 2018. Despite the many new serializations that premiered this year, the big winners continue to be the old guard, with Kingdom remaining just as prominent as ever, Golden Kamuy getting its second anime season, and Kaguya recently being awarded an anime adaptation of its own. The gap in chronological order between established series continues to grow wider as many of the new serializations fail to take off, leaving quite a gap between Black Night Parade and Dorokei that is only filled by Snack Basue and Diner (the latter of which has recently been dropping in the TOC).

WYJ had the most new series out of all the magazines that I analyzed, with a whopping 21 new series premiering in 2018 (and that's essentially 23 since 2 other series premiered in the final issue of 2017). All but 3 are still around (5 including the 2 series I previously mentioned), but an additional 3 have irregular serializations. The big winner for 2018 new serializations was Dorokei, which will already be receiving a live-action adaptation in the upcoming year. Besides that, most of the rest have been pretty quiet or are still too new to get a good feel on how they'll do. There's a decent chance that Batuque will last a while given the author's popularity and veteran status, as will the Kaguya spin-off survive as long as the main series succeeds. A total of 14 series concluded during 2018, including a couple of big ones like Tokyo Ghoul:re and Usogui, so there are some big shoes left to fill.

Now for the stats: The most color pages was awarded to Dorokei with a total of 9, just barely edging out Rikudou and Bungo's 8 each. Out of all these series, only 1 managed to have perfect attendance (appearing in all 48 issues), and that honor goes to the little gag comedy Snack Basue. Honorable mention goes to Rikudou for only missing 1 issue this year. The series with the highest standard deviation (lower = TOC position changes less each week; higher = TOC position changes more each week) was Fushigi no Kuni no Namie-san. The lowest standard deviation in a positive way went to Golden Kamuy and in a negative way goes to Baton no Hoshi, who appears to be a future bottom-dweller.

Looking ahead to 2019, I'm betting that WYJ will continue to be a constant revolving door of new serialization. It seems like they really have an issue with getting series to stick around long-term. Hopefully my beloved Sankaku Head's new serialization, Made in Hikkomuse, will find success similar to what Umaru had while it was around. I think Kaguya should see a spike in sales with its anime adaptation, and justifiably so. I think a lot of the series that premiered in 2018 probably won't survive to see the end of 2019, but I think most (if not all) of the old guard will live to see 2020. Do you think WYJ has any new series that could become big hits? If so, please let me know. Hopefully they'll be able to find a couple more series to become permanent additions during 2019!

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Only notable addition to make to that excellent post is that the Dorokei drama is actually several episodes in, and quite good, even if Madarame is... fairly different in this version. Less giant hulking adonis and more manipulative pretty boy, though interestingly with the same ridiculous sense of smell between the two.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Only notable addition to make to that excellent post is that the Dorokei drama is actually several episodes in, and quite good, even if Madarame is... fairly different in this version. Less giant hulking adonis and more manipulative pretty boy, though interestingly with the same ridiculous sense of smell between the two.
Ah, I didn't realize that it had already started! I was pretty surprised how quickly the adaptation came for Dorokei since I never really heard much about it over on any English websites. I'd definitely call it the standout hit for 2018 new serializations

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ah, I didn't realize that it had already started! I was pretty surprised how quickly the adaptation came for Dorokei since I never really heard much about it over on any English websites. I'd definitely call it the standout hit for 2018 new serializations
Honestly it’s bizarre how little attention Dorokei has gotten from english-language manga fans. Like it was solid out the gate but when it got the endorsement from the Golden Kamuy author AND the drama I genuinely thought people would start paying attention. It’s probably one of the best comics in the magazine right now!

Well, I mean... I say that, but I also think Stars of Baton is amazing, so my opinions may be suspect

OfficialHxH

Reaction score
Country
United States
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Kaguya has 3.5 million copies in print and digital.
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Last edited:

MangAniMY

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I don't usually post the gravure video ads but this one is just... why?

Heiji

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Golden Kamui : 1-16 (+ digital) : 8 700 000.
One-Punch Man : 1-18 : 16 500 000.

#04-05 issue cover :

Last edited:

Ecchi Boy

Reaction score
Country
United States
My wishlist for 2019:

Nejimaki Kagyu TV anime
Made in Hikkomuse to become successful
Tv anime for Family Yan

Heiji

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Three volumes of One-Punch Man (19,20 and 21) are scheduled for April 4.
Kingdom : 1-53 volumes : 38 000 000.
Kaguya-sama ha Kokurasetai : 1-12 volumes (print + digital sales) : 4 000 000.

Last edited:

MangAniMY

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Batuque special page

https://youngjump.jp/info/batuque_movie/

the movie in the url just meant videos, which there are already a few release. mainly Toshio Sako (the mangaka), some instructors and a few other ( the little girl might be his daughter but I am most probably wrong) showing the basics of capoeira

Jovan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cover right for the Dual Confession arc, yay!

Magicoreo

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Everytime this thread gets updated I pray for the news of Inoue's manga REAL returning...

Besides drawing for the re-released volume covers of Slam Dunk does anyone have an idea of what he's up to these days?

Status
Not open for further replies.