Mag Talk Weekly Young Magazine (seinen mag by Kodansha)

Doughboy

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Country
United States
Lowkey I like Tejina too, I think it's funny and I like the atmosphere of the series but it updates slow as hell. I don't really follow sales but if what you're saying is true hopefully it gets an anime. I mean how are you not entertained?

Aipom626

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Country
United States
Lowkey I like Tejina too, I think it's funny and I like the atmosphere of the series but it updates slow as hell. I don't really follow sales but if what you're saying is true hopefully it gets an anime. I mean how are you not entertained?

Here are the links I used.
Volume 1: http://book-rank.net/rank/data.cgi?all=5&word=9784063828351&mode=rank&bt=2
Volume 2: http://book-rank.net/rank/data.cgi?all=5&word=9784063828887&mode=rank&bt=2
Volume 3: http://book-rank.net/rank/data.cgi?all=5&word=9784063829556&mode=rank&bt=2
Volume 4: http://book-rank.net/rank/data.cgi?all=5&word=9784065101445&mode=rank&bt=2

Unfortunately, the author has been sick or injured with something since last year.
The last post that the author made was in January about wanting to come back as soon as possible.
Thankfully, it looks like the publishers are still putting a lot of emphasis and promotion into the series. In addition to having one of its volume's covers appearing in WotaKoi, it also had an advertisement in a Japanese subway system in January, despite its most recent volume having come out months earlier. All in all, hopefully the author gets better ASAP and returns soon.

Aipom626

Country
United States
Tejina Senpai resumes in Issue 38 released on August 20!

Aipom626

Country
United States
While it's a pretty popular series, I'm a bit surprised they're going to animate this one. I'd guess that the episodes will probably be shorter than normal. Weekly Young Magazine has a few pretty good series right now, especially in their ecchi department lol
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I finally caught up on my chart for the year of 2018 for Weekly Young Magazine, and I'd say the line-up right now is pretty solid. For all those people who were unsure about the series at the start, I recommend giving Parallel Paradise a try if you don't mind major ecchi. Honestly, the plot has gotten incredibly intriguing. It's gone from guilty pleasure I read occasionally to something I actually look forward to seeing the next chapter of ASAP. Nande Koko ni Sensei ga!? is similar, although I tend to let those chapters build up a bit before reading them. Luckily, the English translation started up again. Speaking of translation, I hope the translations for Tejina Senpai start up again since the author has returned from his hiatus.

Another interesting series I'm glad to hear is doing decently is Sounan desu ka?, which actually provides some pretty interesting survival tips in cute girl format lol. Hantsu x Torasshu managed to get me somewhat interested in water polo, but I just wish the romance element could be a bit stronger. But if you don't mind the lack of progress, the artwork is pretty solid. Likewise, Minami-ke is pretty cute, and S to no Souguu is good for some cheap laughs.

In addition to these that I follow, there's also a lot of popular series that I don't read but are really thriving, such as The Fable, MF Ghost, and Sengoku Gonbee. Since not that many people discuss this magazine on here, I was pleasantly surprised to see how good a decent handful of these series were, and how well the magazine as a whole seems to be doing. I was trying to compare it to the current state of Weekly Young Jump, and it seems like WYJ cancels series much more quickly and has had more trouble over the past year and a half at finding successful new series than WYM.

Aipom626

Country
United States
Tejina-senpai gets TV anime adaptation in 2019
YES!!! I'm super pumped about this getting animated. WYM is really going all out with anime adaptations lately: first Asobi, then Ueno, then Nande Koko ni Sensei ga, and now Tejina! An excellent time of comedy adaptations. I wonder how long each episode is going to be?

Aipom626

Country
United States

The final of my newest charting conquests, and admittedly the most difficult one: Weekly Young Magazine. The original plan was to have this and Weekly Big Comic Spirits serve as direct comparisons for Weekly Young Jump since they're each weekly seinen magazines from the 3 main competitors. I was doing well at first, but once I started working overtime at work, I let this one get a bit behind. When I went to start it back up, I didn't realize the electronic magazines only stayed at bookstores for 3 months after release. As a result, my section without the color pages isn't perfect. As a result, I'll call it "without advertised color pages on WYM's website" lol. I got every lead color page and every color page that was specifically advertised on their website. 9 new series premiered in 2018, and 8 series ended during this year.

I really wanted to do his one since there's a lot of good series currently being serialized in this magazine that I wanted to draw more attention to. 2018 was a really great year for the magazine, and they've had a handful of recent successes. MF Ghost has been selling incredibly well, my precious Tejina-senpai not only returned from hiatus but is receiving an anime adaptation, Nande Koko ni Sensei ga!? is selling a bunch and somehow manag to get an anime adaptation too, and Parallel Paradise is moving a ton of copies as well. Back Street Girls had an adaptation, and although it ended, it was still interesting nonetheless. My Home Hero just started back up again with its second part, The Fable is doing great, and the franchise Tobaku Datenroku Kaiji: 24-oku Dasshutsu-hen is from also had an anime adaptation for one of its spinoffs.

Here are some interesting stats! Although this number is probably incorrect, the series with the most color pages "explicitly stated on their official website" was a tie between The Fable and Nande Koko ni Sensei ga!? with 5 color pages each. Watashi no Shounen and My Home Hero were just barely edged out of the tie by getting 4 "explicitly stated on their official website" color pages. Out of the 48 issues this year, no series managed to get perfect attendance. The closest one was Archimedes no Taisen, which only missed 1 issue, followed by The Fable with 2 absences. The series with the lowest standard deviation (lower = position in the TOC changes less each issue; higher = position in the TOC changes more each issue) went to The Fable in a positive way and Sounan desu ka? in a negative way. The series with the highest standard deviation was Higanjima - 48 Nichigo..., a fairly long-running series.

Looking ahead to 2019, things are looking really great to me. Nande Koko ni Sensei ga!? and Tejina-senpai are both getting anime adaptations, and there are many popular series currently running. While there aren't any series that are quite as big as Kingdom in Weekly Young Jump, WYM has a handful of series that are starting to grow nicely. The Fable and MF Ghost are killing it with their sales, the ecchi scene is covered pretty nicely with Parallel Paradise and I think Satanophany is doing decently as well. Sengoku, Archimedes, and Higanjima are also selling pretty well if I recall correctly. As for the newest batch of series, I think some are in a pretty good position to last for awhile, such as Under Ninja and Otto no Chinpo ga Hairanai. Hopefully more people around here will start following a little more closely to what's going on in WYM ince it has been killing it lately, and it's shaping up to have another great year in 2019!

Aipom626

Country
United States
I didn't know Back Street Girls is getting a Live-Action movie

I had no idea that this series was this popular. This live-action looks like it could actually be pretty funny. I remember reading online somewhere that there was going to be a second part to this manga (it was mentioned in the last chapter or by the author around the time it ended). Has anyone else heard anything about a sequel to the manga?

Heiji

Country
Japan
MF Ghost : 1-4 : 1 000 000.
Nande Koko ni Sensei ga!? : 1-5 : 900 000.
The Fable : 1-16 : 2 800 000.

Aipom626

Country
United States
Nande Koko ni Sensei ga!? : 1-5 : 900 000.
That's a pretty great number per volume. I wonder if the upcoming anime adaptation will give this a large boost? Hopefully it'll be pretty good. I'm still shocked they managed to get a TV station to agree to air it hahaha

MangAniMY

Country
Malaysia

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)