Mag Talk - Weekly Young Magazine (seinen mag by Kodansha) | Page 9 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Young Magazine (seinen mag by Kodansha)

cody

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
From comments I've been reading online, it seems like things must've slowed down in more recent arcs. But still, this has to be one of Young Magazine's biggest sellers. I wonder what they're planning on having succeed this in terms of being a big seller
Yeah, it was even a top 10 seller in 2015 I think. I don't know what their plan is. The arc that I didn't really get into yet apparently is slower and drags out a lot, but I can't talk about it because I haven't read it myself, but it could be the case where people grew frustrated because the arc was long and they had to deal with it on a weekly basis.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yeah, it was even a top 10 seller in 2015 I think. I don't know what their plan is. The arc that I didn't really get into yet apparently is slower and drags out a lot, but I can't talk about it because I haven't read it myself, but it could be the case where people grew frustrated because the arc was long and they had to deal with it on a weekly basis.
That's the general consensus that I seemed to get. I think it was #50 top seller in this year, as computed by the user in the WSJ thread, so it looks like it was still selling pretty well, just not at the level it was at its peak

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
That's the general consensus that I seemed to get. I think it was #50 top seller in this year, as computed by the user in the WSJ thread, so it looks like it was still selling pretty well, just not at the level it was at its peak
In the year it peaked it had an anime and a live action TV series, so understandable why it went down after that.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
In the year it peaked it had an anime and a live action TV series, so understandable why it went down after that.
Oh, well then that makes a lot of sense. It's better to end a series sooner rather than let it drag on so long that it becomes a shell of what it used to be. Hopefully Young Magazine can find something else to take off like Prison School did. They have a really interesting lineup right now, but I haven't looked into how these currently-running series are selling right now.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Oh, well then that makes a lot of sense. It's better to end a series sooner rather than let it drag on so long that it becomes a shell of what it used to be. Hopefully Young Magazine can find something else to take off like Prison School did. They have a really interesting lineup right now, but I haven't looked into how these currently-running series are selling right now.
Maybe the idol thing is the ace up their sleeves. Tejina-senpai got licensed digitally by Kodansha US not that long ago, that might be a sign of an incoming anime for that.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe the idol thing is the ace up their sleeves. Tejina-senpai got licensed digitally by Kodansha US not that long ago, that might be a sign of an incoming anime for that.
It looks like that may be what they're trying to do now that you mention it. It seems like both series use a similar type of humor in them, so maybe they'll try to promote Back Street Girls as Prison School's successor. I really like Tejina-senpai, it kind of reminds me of a more ecchi, magic-based Dagashi Kashi. The only problem is that it is on hiatus right now (for an unknown period of time) due to the author's poor health. Hopefully the author gets better and resumes the series soon, it'd be a shame if they just leave it in limbo forever. I saw on the author's Twitter account that he did some art of Senpai for Halloween, so I hope this is a sign that it will return in the early part of this coming year.

Heiji

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Japan

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Looks like this is Kodansha's strategy, to poach I am a Hero's author from Big Comic Spirits xD

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like this is Kodansha's strategy, to poach I am a Hero's author from Big Comic Spirits xD
Just looked it up really quick, and it certainly seemed like a popular series. Looks like they're hoping to replicate that success with a new series. Plus it looks like another one is going to be starting up shortly as well. Meanwhile, I get to sit (im)patiently and wait for Tejina's author to fully recover and resume the series lol.

Silverblade

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
Hanazawa has done a one-shot or two for Kodansha's Morning magazine before, so it's nothing new for him. What is interesting is that all his big series were published in Shogakukan's Big Comic Spirits before, but his new series is planned to start in Big Comic Superior. It probably has something to do with Superior being semimonthly unlike the weekly Spirits. With a lighter schedule, Hanazawa should manage to juggle two manga in 2018.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Hanazawa has done a one-shot or two for Kodansha's Morning magazine before, so it's nothing new for him. What is interesting is that all his big series were published in Shogakukan's Big Comic Spirits before, but his new series is planned to start in Big Comic Superior. It probably has something to do with Superior being semimonthly unlike the weekly Spirits. With a lighter schedule, Hanazawa should manage to juggle two manga in 2018.
I forgot he was doing another manga, so he'll work on two things, huh.

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Prison School final chapter.

The manga might of got axed cause the author wrote of an epilogue chapter dropping in the final volume. I'll read it if scanned. Fun series overall.

Last edited:

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
First 2 chapters of Fara Otto translated into English. Seems like it'll be a pretty simple gag comedy, which is refreshing to read through every now and then.
Chapter 1:

Chapter 2:

Heiji

Reaction score
Country
Japan
MF Ghost #01 : 200 000.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
MF Ghost #01 : 200 000.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Good luck to them! They did a monthly manga together before, let's see how things work out weekly.

Scruffy8642

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Seeing Yokota's art on something that's not cutesy is really cool. Interested in this now.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Good luck to them! They did a monthly manga together before, let's see how things work out weekly.
Young Magazine the 3rd is monthly. This is just a spinoff if the series they did before, too.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Young Magazine the 3rd is monthly. This is just a spinoff if the series they did before, too.
Oh, I missed the 3rd part. Well, fuck.

Tanzo

Reaction score
Country
United States

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
A bit late since the episode aired almost a week ago, but when I was watching episode 2 of WotaKoi, I noticed that one of the manga volumes they picked up as actually Tejina Senpai! I thought it was pretty cool that they used a handful of actual series when the characters were walking around through the bookstore. Afterwards, I looked up the sales for Tejina Senpai, and I had no idea that this was selling so well. I'm glad because I liked it, but I was caught off-guard when I saw that the first volume sold over 100K after reprints. Hopefully the author gets better soon and continues...