1. New Week, New Contest!

Firstly, a new contest is up; for this week we have the Coloring contest, so be sure to get involved and showcase your skills in digital or hand coloring.

Secondly, voting for the Technologycontest is open, so be sure to vote for your favourite entry!
  2. Sign Up for the Scavenger Hunt is still open, so JOIN UP for fun hunting around the forum!
  3. We are looking for new moderators and News Writers. If you are interested, apply here.
  4. The first voting day of the Anime League is here! Tell us which new Anime of this season you liked the most so far!
  5. Starting from mid-February or so we'll be going through the media gallery and sorting through the submissions there to ensure they match with our recent changes listed in the Media Gallery Guide.
    As such some media files will be removed, so please be sure to look through your media and ensure it is up to requirements If you have any questions, contact a global/admin.
In case you've missed it, Mangahelpers is recruiting new Moderators/News Writers. If you're interested, please read HERE for more information.
Though artists in particular, everyone please do check out the [MEDIA GUIDE] , as there are information relevant for you all. Thanks!
Get ready for the new Scavenger Hunt, sign-ups have already started, click HERE for more information.

Discussion What advantage does modern anime has over old anime?

Discussion in 'Anime and Drama' started by beatmachineon, Sep 14, 2016.

1. beatmachineon

beatmachineon Registered User

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner

Canada
    Instead of praising good old anime, i want to hear opinion about the positive point of modern anime.

when people bashing modern anime they like to talk about ecchi and moe ruining anime, so what(trope) does modern anime has created to make anime meduim look better than old anime?

PS :i love retro more though

2. TrienDarkform

TrienDarkform Registered User

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member

Canada
    I'm guessing you're asking about things beside visual quality, which digital composition and CG have contributed to?

Personally speaking, I can't really name anything specific, and I enjoy both modern and older anime, and I've been watching for over two decades (man, that makes me feel old...). As much as some people may like to classify things into 'tropes'... good storywriting has existed, and still exists, and doesn't necessarily require the writer to come up with new ideas (afterall, what stories/ideas have been repeatedly written about throughout the millenia?). Trends and what's popular may change, but the realm of anime has a decent amount of variety, that you really can't make any generalizations, and gives you some choice. Maybe what's mainstream isn't necessarily what I may find enjoyable, but there's still other series to watch. And some of these trends which are popular today weren't exactly nonexistent in older anime, they just weren't as trendy at the time (and vice-versa).

A few random thoughts, though...

Some might argue that modern stories have gotten more complex, such depicting things more realistically besides black and white morality, for example. Interestingly enough, the older I've gotten, the more I've found myself agreeing and disagreeing with that in different ways. I'll not get too detailed into personal philosophy, but essentially, while I agree that the world is a complicated place and there are no black and white solutions, I also believe that there are distinct good and bad things, just that situations, choices, and consequences can contain both. (And that is a discussion for a different time). Somewhat related to this is the trend towards darker stories, though this is not exclusive to anime either though. Again, I end up taking both sides on this one as well. It can make for more interesting storytelling. But after a hard day of work out in the messy real world, sometimes I just want to come home and calm my mind with something simple...

Showing my age...

First anime: DBZ (original airing via bootleg VHS tapes, finished the series before it ever came over to NA broadcast TV...)
    Some favourites, older and newer: Escaflowne, Lain, Madoka, Zetsuen no Tempest. Films: Mononoke Hime (though most anything Ghibli's good :P)
    Some favourite soundtracks: Record of Lodoss War (original OVA), Escaflowne, Madoka, Vividred Operation (not-so-great anime, lovely music)

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Jammin, Tranquil Rain and ProGoddess like this.
  3. ProGoddess

ProGoddess MH Senpai

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity

Water Tribe
    Thank you for sharing your thought which is enriching and enlightening. :super

It reminds me of when I was child where I used to watch Doraemon. It's such a consolation that the same anime is still showing after so many years. In fact it existed even way back to my parents' time. :teehee Some anime are just "good for all times." :)

One of the classic stories that I had watched before was "Candy Candy" - a kind of romance story for the young souls growing up toward their adulthood who yearn for love. When we look at the current series as compared to the older (classic) ones, they may be very different, though the fundamental of romance and love may be the same. But the presentation is somewhat different. Obviously the differences are also influenced by our society and norms over time. I wouldn't say which one is better, but rather they are unique in their own ways during that specific time or era and I don't mind either of them.

I'm not a person who enjoy that much of ecchi or hentai kind of animation but if it is just for fanservice and not showing too much, then I am quite fine with it. I guess in our modern society, people are more open in such behaviour that what they experience in real life are also portrayed in the story they write and draw.

In terms of animation production, it is obvious that with the more advanced technology, we are able to produce better shows - like graphics, sound effects, etc. These are complimented by better and widely available mediums like high-end TV and sound system, and in the entertaining industry, the advanced cinema's technologies on its big screen.

4. Jammin

Jammin MH's Best Reviewer

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted

Mangahelper

United States
    The things I'd add are consistency and voice acting.

We tend to look back on 90's anime and remember the artwork as being a bit better than it really was. Mainly because that stuff was designed to be viewed on CRT TV's which were blurry enough that fine detail issues were harder to notice. Now any art mistakes are more visible than they've ever been and due to that there are less of them and backgrounds tend to be better. There are exceptions, of course. But on average I think anime is in much better place in that respect.

Voice acting is also vastly better than it's ever been. I don't speak Japanese but in terms of expressing emotion you can really tell how far the Japanese voice talent has come. It's pretty rare to hit bad voice actors these days but classic series like Berserk, Tenchi Muyo, and even Dragon Ball were full of them. The level of talent that makes series like Re:Zero as good as they are just didn't exist back then.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
    TrienDarkform likes this.
  5. TrienDarkform

TrienDarkform Registered User

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member

Canada
    In regards to "better artwork from older anime", some of it probably relates more to the animation philosophy. At least for certain examples that come to mind, there may have been more character detail in a single frame, but with less frames of animation. Sometimes, just a single frame, with some pan + rotation. And backgrounds were definitely not as nice... sometimes for action all there would be is some streaky 'motion' background, even if the character art in front had some nice detail.

I guess we expect more motion these days, so while we can get some admittedly strange looking in-betweens sometimes, overall the feel is that there are more things moving.

Now you've got me itching to go through some old DVD's frame-by-frame... or heck, dig out some old VHS tapes. That is, if I can even find my old VCR... let alone anything that will take a composite outout... uhm, nevermind...

6. Single Soul

Single Soul Registered User

United States
    i think it's more interesting plot, and harem anime became less popular as for me, ppl like more a good story

7. Taorero

Taorero Mangahelper

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member

Mangahelper

United States
    This is a tough one, modern anime doesn-t have consistency across all of them, we might have something extremely good and well made and we might have something that looks like I did it in Photoshop...

I'll use two examples taking two series that are both a classic and have a modern adaptation...
    DBZ for instance... I never really like the drawings since they are not that special, however the classic was actually pretty good even if it was really easy to draw it was carefully done. Now take Super..... That is a POS

Saint Seiya... The 80's classic was a masterpiece, the first set of OVA actually shown how technology can make something extremely better, but then we had the second set done by a bunch of lazy people and the quality drop considerably. Then came Omega... a disservice to the classic and a slap to fans.

When animes are well done in this era they are flawless and visually amazing (Tokyo Ghoul, Attack on Titan, Code Geass, Terra Formars (1st season). The animation becomes beautiful, audio follows it perfectly, and there are no lazy frames or draws... However what I see on modern anime is that they all start pretty good in animation but they start lowering that quality towards the middle of the season.

Tranquil Rain likes this.
  8. amit-monsterman999

amit-monsterman999 Registered User

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member

Canada
    personally there both good and many are classics of their time

But there is one thing older anime has an advantage over it's more stereotyped for males. if you look at male bodies they were all muscle and testosterone based and though i'm a guy i kind of want to see that again in some ways, where you see well built muscular dudes with huge power. A good example is jotaro from jo jos bizarre adventure of the pillar men the pillar men were well built and so was jotaro but jotaros quick wit was amazing and i think the one reason i really enjoyed that character was his quick wittiness. i haven't seen such a character again with both muscle, brains and quick wit for a while. from DBZ the best examples are vegito and gogeta as those saiyan forms are not only powerful, well built, intelligent but very witty we clearly see that in their battle and its fun to watch. The intelligence of vegita with goku's battle instinct can give the strongest of the strongest a full run for their money with comedy relief and the wittiness we don't see anymore.

also i think todays anime is more fan servicing with females which is awesome I love the fan service received from hot girls and am always happy for more female fan service but I feel the modern male characters lack confidence and power and guts to go all out older anime had male characters that had an aura of confidence in tough situations and would prevail none the less sometimes i don't see that in today's characters a whole lot even in a tough situation they were quick witted and thought instincitvely to solve a problem

i mean compare the jojo bizarre adventure pillar men to gray from fairy tail if people think gray is doing fan service those pillar men are a whole other level i wonder what a manga made with equal fanservicing to both sexes would be received.

it seems in older anime male fan service was provided and today its more female fan service. and the main thing it seems was that older anime the character development was done it was the character fighting and showing off today's anime characters are in pre puberty stage where they have to learn how to control and use their powers and abilities so a larger section of the manga is taken up in character development which older manga avoided.

just a thought

9. REN KOUEN

REN KOUEN Registered User

United States
    the evolution of the art-style is always intriguing to me, everything yuyu-hakusho/dragonball and on are fine in my book

i dont really care for slayers sailor moon and other old anime where the noses are too pointy

the biggest issue i have is when people do not use CG properly, an anime is supposed to look like an animated manga in my opinion, not some pixar film

there are some animes that properly use CG, but some just go apeshit

10. Doraku

Doraku Repenting Smut Peddler

The Wall
    Not sure if this is true necessarily, but I think the modern technology is very helpful for small and independent studios with tight budget. Well, I mean these days most studios are still small flies compared to Ghibli, but I think there's plenty of opportunities and possibilities for them to create animations that are visually O.K. even with meager resources.

Back then TV anime is much worse than anime movie, but I feel like these days the quality gap is noticeably closer. Still terrible compared to high budget anime movie obviously, but the differences are not very apparent.

11. kencana

kencana Registered User

Indonesia
    1. Better graphic
    2. Better treatment for female characters (look at Attack on Titan and FMA)
    3. (If you're a fan) More BL/yuri anime. I cannot imagine anime like Doukyuusei, Sakura Trick, etc etc being made 30 years ago.

12. WalterB

WalterB Registered User

Germany
    Art and animation. Think something like Fate/Stay unlimited blade works