Discussion - What are your most hated problems when dowloading manga? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion What are your most hated problems when dowloading manga?

JeffDoogins

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
Ok picture this scenario.....

You get home from a hard day at (whatever u get up to that makes you busy) and want to settle in front of the computer screen to read one of your favourite mangas when you notice, 'Hey! iv'e nearly finished this series, i better start another one ASAP!'. So you go into a chat room to see what other people are reading and think to yourself, that may be a good manga. So you get your references and website names and start to proceed with there instructions. You go to the first site on the list and head straight for the manga download page.....

You start the download.

Next minute your taken to another page saying you have to be a member, so you register then download again straight away. It then transfers ou to what looks like the same page but different writing and says 'sorry this page is only available to our Platinum members. You only pay $100 a month to be a Gold member or you could only pay as little as $500 to be a platinum''. Feeling really pissed off about this you go to another website on the list. When there you go to the manga download page and once again you start the download... the downloading box pops up and it reads 'dowloading 18 megs - 0.002% done, downloading at 0.12321 bits'. you close the link and look back at the page where it shows 50 mirrors of the same file, you click the file number 43 and, yet again, you start the download. Then it says 'you have to wait another 10 minutes b4 you can download again'. Furious at all this time wasting (when you can be cozy reading one of the newly recommended manga) you switch to another site that was suggested. Your at the second last site suggested with somewhat high hopes but low faith. you yet again go to the manga downloads page, but there was something strange about this website. It didnt have a manga dowloads page. you look around the site to find somethings called 'xdcc botlistings' or 'Download mIRC' to recive manga. With little hope at all you go to the next (and last) website on the list, you search through and go to the manga dl page and click on mirror 1.......

You Brace yourself

It worked!! it actually worked!.............but then you notice something...... file itself wasnt a zip or a rar file but something called 'zipadidooda' which sure as hell wasnt a file that i could open without the archiver. you open a new page and log on to a search engine and search 'zipadidooda'.....wait 2 seconds and a message saying 'there are currently no files listed under your search' appears. You yell at the top of your voice and decide just to read one of the manga's that you have already read.

Ok that was a little farfetched but you should get the idea, following are some of my most hated errors:

-You must be a member
-We no longer host that file
- [You download a chapter by voloume and find that inside are several pages that are named 01 and 5 pages labelled 18]
-Different file archiver eg. rar zip ace etc
-Getting banned from a website bcoz you bashed them too much
-Adds popping up left right and center
-You must be a paying member
-Only certain people are allowed in this area
and the list goes on................

So....... any one can just post what they hate about downloading manga and what are the most frustrating things involved....... :)

shinwei

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I get all my manga from IRC so... I have no problems at all =D

Never have to worry about stuff working. No waiting 30 seconds or whatever, don't need to pay...
Average around 250 kb/sec download speeds, more manga available than anywhere else on the net.

Only problem I ever have while READING manga... is that I hate RAR files. I hate those stupid things so much because I actually have to unRAR them to view them, unlike zips which I can read them directly. According to the mangaupdates.com poll, ACDSee (which is what I use, and is by far my favorite) is the #1 program with which people read manga, but it doesn't read RARs very well. Why can't everyone just release their manga in zips? Man...

JeffDoogins

Reaction score
Country
Australia
i agree with you completely, rar is s**t

CheckMate

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
hmm.. how long do u need to un-rar the manga? 5 secs? 10 secs? unless u dont have 10 secs, it's totally a disaster :p

my problem is if i successfully download the file, and then something like 'data corrupt' appears on the screen. bah.!!

and.. acdSee rocks!

shinwei

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I like to save my manga in Zips on my computer for organization... so not only do I have to unRAR... but I also have to recompress as zips.

white silver

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
I used to hate IRC, but now I'm kinda used to it know and I'm loving it every time, I'm sure you'll love it to if you would JUST give it a little time! However, I KNOW EXACTLY what you mean, there was this annoying site for downloading manga (you have to be a premium member to download) SHIT! WTF does that suppose to mean? Believe me, if everything else goes down (from direct downloads to BT) MIRC is your last hope!

JeffDoogins

Reaction score
Country
Australia
ok dont get me wrong.........i love IRC, i use it all the time. i just put together what i thought would go into a story :p

barbapapa

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
Belgium
"you must be a paying member"
duh xD
Edited Mangas aint supposed to be sold so =)

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Shinwei said:
Only problem I ever have while READING manga... is that I hate RAR files. I hate those stupid things so much because I actually have to unRAR them to view them, unlike zips which I can read them directly. According to the mangaupdates.com poll, ACDSee (which is what I use, and is by far my favorite) is the #1 program with which people read manga, but it doesn't read RARs very well. Why can't everyone just release their manga in zips? Man...
You should look into CDisplay, and try that manga trick I wrote up :p. It does Rar, and zip, it's fast and easy to use :). :p

Here: http://mangahelpers.com/index.php?pid=2

white silver

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
pwned hokage said:
"you must be a paying member"
duh xD
Edited Mangas aint supposed to be sold so =)
Unless they want payment ONLY for support, that's okay since that's voluntary! And we're only paying for their work.Using payments in order to download scanslations is just like selling "others" work without paying them! That's DIRTY!

shinwei

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
njt said:
You should look into CDisplay, and try that manga trick I wrote up :p. It does Rar, and zip, it's fast and easy to use :). :p
I tried CDisplay before, and I really just can't get used to it after all these years of using ACDSee. I can't live without ACDSee, it's so good that I even bought it for money!

njt

Last Boss ♪~( ̄。 ̄)
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Japan
Shinwei said:
I tried CDisplay before, and I really just can't get used to it after all these years of using ACDSee. I can't live without ACDSee, it's so good that I even bought it for money!
haha, I guess I can understand, I tried using acdsee, and couldn't stand it :p

white silver

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
njt said:
haha, I guess I can understand, I tried using acdsee, and couldn't stand it :p
I had NO idea that there was a program for viewing manga, hmm.. I used Office Picture Viewer. haheheh, can anybody tell me the difference?

JeffDoogins

Reaction score
Country
Australia
quite honestly the easiest way to read a manga is to use the archiver 'winzip' then open all the files at once with 'windows picture and fax viewer'...........simple.

the only pain in the ass is .RAR files, thats when i have to:

1. install rar
2. move all of the pages from the .rar file to a folder
3. uninstall rar
4. create a new zip file and move the pages into it

its not an absolutely frustrating problem that causes me to whack my head against a table, but it does cause alot of time and anger while i could be readig the manga.....

shinwei

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
kunai jutsu said:
I had NO idea that there was a program for viewing manga, hmm.. I used Office Picture Viewer. haheheh, can anybody tell me the difference?

You can set default zoom level, I usually use 100%, and from what I understand windows picture and fax viewer's default is "fit to screen". The mouse in ACDSee acts as a pan tool to pan around the image, and the scroll wheel on the mouse scrolls between pages. Plus you don't have to unzip zip files, ACDsee can read from them directly.

JeffDoogins

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Shinwei said:
You can set default zoom level, I usually use 100%, and from what I understand windows picture and fax viewer's default is "fit to screen". The mouse in ACDSee acts as a pan tool to pan around the image, and the scroll wheel on the mouse scrolls between pages. Plus you don't have to unzip zip files, ACDsee can read from them directly.
i was only refering to .RAR files when discussing ziping and stuff, all the others are fine, and dosnt ACDSee have problems with rar as well

white silver

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
Shinwei said:
Alright, I guess I can try it out!

JeffDoogins

Reaction score
Country
Australia
hmm, we are going slighty off topic

white silver

Reaction score
Country
Hong Kong
JeffDoogins said:
hmm, we are going slighty off topic
HEHEEHEH! Sorry, but anyways *ahem* I hate it when I download manga only to find it was the chapter I have downloaded before (I have experienced this), ex: I'm downloading chapter 246, only to find out it was 245 (wrong link) SHIT! I had to wait 30 minutes to download, as if choosing the bad link wasn't bad enough, the slow server added fuel to the fire!

Miso

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Well. The most thing I hate is when you have to pay for downloading.

Ok...Editing is in most cases illegal so help the manga with buying it!
But the Edited Manga groups do it just for fun and as a free fanservice. If you have to pay to download it smells like you've been ripped off. The money doesn't go to the workers of the group but to the site owners.
I can understand the bandwith costs money but my opinion is that those sites should be relying on donations mostly.
See the greatest manga archive I ever found in the net: www.gotlurk.net
It still works with donating money.

Ah..and I love irc so it would never be a problem for me to use it.