Info - Where to buy Japanese manga | Page 6 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Info Where to buy Japanese manga

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United States
Question for you guys and gals...where would one purchase older manga? Stuff that came out back in 2000-2005 ish? I'm looking to finish up my collections of Nakayama and Fukuchi works but am finding older series by the two are hard to get...specifically Ueki no Hosoku plus by Fukuchi, and Astral Engine by Nakayama. I'm sure I won't get shiny new copies of these manga which is fine, but is there anywhere that would ship used copies to the US?
I usually get sets of used stuff on Amazon Japan. It's kind of a pain to find a used seller that'll actually ship to the US, but once you find one they're insanely cheap; I got a full 9-volume set of Nora for about 400 yen plus shipping. Shipping is 3000 yen flat fee plus 400 yen per book, but a set of books is technically one item so that helps a lot. As for finding out which ones will ship to the US, just add a bunch of them to your cart, then go to checkout and see which ones don't whine at you about shipping.

There's a set of Ueki Plus volumes here that'll ship to the US, it's the second one on the list. Anything that says Fulfilled by Amazon is usually more likely to have international shipping, in my experience.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/offer-listing/B0010MK4L2/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

There's also a chain of Book-off stores in the US that have tons of used manga. I go to the one in NYC (it's right around the corner from Kinokuniya, actually) and raid the $1 volume section. They actually did have Ueki Plus v1 there for $1 last time I went, although who knows if it's still there. I did pick up Ueki 1-2, but they're just sitting on my shelf unread at the moment.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I usually get sets of used stuff on Amazon Japan. It's kind of a pain to find a used seller that'll actually ship to the US, but once you find one they're insanely cheap; I got a full 9-volume set of Nora for about 400 yen plus shipping. Shipping is 3000 yen flat fee plus 400 yen per book, but a set of books is technically one item so that helps a lot. As for finding out which ones will ship to the US, just add a bunch of them to your cart, then go to checkout and see which ones don't whine at you about shipping.

There's a set of Ueki Plus volumes here that'll ship to the US, it's the second one on the list. Anything that says Fulfilled by Amazon is usually more likely to have international shipping, in my experience.
http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/offer-listing/B0010MK4L2/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

There's also a chain of Book-off stores in the US that have tons of used manga. I go to the one in NYC (it's right around the corner from Kinokuniya, actually) and raid the $1 volume section. They actually did have Ueki Plus v1 there for $1 last time I went, although who knows if it's still there. I did pick up Ueki 1-2, but they're just sitting on my shelf unread at the moment.
Thanks. Ironically I just went there and bought Astral Engine 1 & 2, but didn't go further to look for Ueki. I'll probably do that now. I didn't know a set is considered one book....that actually kicks ass. Maybe I'll see if they have Artist Acro and Takkoku as well. I've been meaning to pick those up too. :-P I see you forgot that I can read Japanese, but thanks for the detailed instructions.

And you go to Kino in NY? Kewl and I meet there every so often. Maybe we should have some sort of nerd convention with the three of us. I don't live too far from NY (about a three hour bus ride.) I didn't know about the book off....I'm totally going to have to go there next time I'm in town.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks. Ironically I just went there and bought Astral Engine 1 & 2, but didn't go further to look for Ueki. I'll probably do that now. I didn't know a set is considered one book....that actually kicks ass. Maybe I'll see if they have Artist Acro and Takkoku as well. I've been meaning to pick those up too. :-P I see you forgot that I can read Japanese, but thanks for the detailed instructions.

And you go to Kino in NY? Kewl and I meet there every so often. Maybe we should have some sort of nerd convention with the three of us. I don't live too far from NY (about a three hour bus ride.) I didn't know about the book off....I'm totally going to have to go there next time I'm in town.
Eh, maybe... you'd be surprised how anti-social I can be in real life. Kino's about a 30-minute subway ride away from my dorm, but classes go pretty late so I can't really go whenever I want. If the timing actually worked out though, why not?
On a related note, Book off also lets you sell stuff there. They give you pretty much nothing for used manga, but you can get a decent amount by selling old video games and the like. Main reason to do so is that they'll give you a 10% off coupon.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Eh, maybe... you'd be surprised how anti-social I can be in real life. Kino's about a 30-minute subway ride away from my dorm, but classes go pretty late so I can't really go whenever I want. If the timing actually worked out though, why not?
On a related note, Book off also lets you sell stuff there. They give you pretty much nothing for used manga, but you can get a decent amount by selling old video games and the like. Main reason to do so is that they'll give you a 10% off coupon.
Oh we'd probably do it on a weekend or something. We both work so that's usually more convenient. I'm fairly antisocial too, but manga has been bringing nerds together for centuries. Look at this grand website I'm casually mocking and posting on simultaneously!

I've sold most of my old video games so...yeah. Still 10 percent off isn't bad at all.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh we'd probably do it on a weekend or something. We both work so that's usually more convenient. I'm fairly antisocial too, but manga has been bringing nerds together for centuries. Look at this grand website I'm casually mocking and posting on simultaneously!

I've sold most of my old video games so...yeah. Still 10 percent off isn't bad at all.
Annoyingly enough, I actually can't really do anything on weekends since I'm only in the dorms during the week, I go home Thursday nights. My job is a Friday-only thing, too. I guess I could try and get back to the city early on Sunday some time, but Saturday's a no-go for religious reasons. I think I might be one of, if not the only orthodox Jewish Manga Editor... Anyway, weekdays are usually easier for me. Yay for screwed-up schedules.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Annoyingly enough, I actually can't really do anything on weekends since I'm only in the dorms during the week, I go home Thursday nights. My job is a Friday-only thing, too. I guess I could try and get back to the city early on Sunday some time, but Saturday's a no-go for religious reasons. I think I might be one of, if not the only orthodox Jewish Manga Editor... Anyway, weekdays are usually easier for me. Yay for screwed-up schedules.
Ah. Yeah I have a buddy who's an orthodox Jew so I know how that is. Well I'm sure we could do something on the weekday sometime too. Sadly it's easier for me to get around on Friday-Sun than the rest of the week. Though I could swing a Monday....I dunno. I don't have much of anything going on since I'm religiously without a religion or friends or a significant other (by choice mind you. Born to die alone and such.) Yet I'm ironically sponsoring a hookup.....er....

...Lets quit the offtopic spiral. This sucks, I can't find anything other than Ueki in sets on Amazon. I'll try Takkoku next I guess. I'm glad I got Astral Engine at least. I think I now officially own everything Nakayama has ever drawn. (Well I will once I get the AE in the mail.)

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for taking the time out to reply though.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Bit of a late reply, but I just went there today and according to the flyers all over the store, the list of things you can sell there now includes headphones, cameras, toasters, blenders, and rice cookers. So... might not be totally out of luck if you don't have any games yet, although I have quite literally no clue why anyone would bring a toaster into a bookstore.

RafaFedKilla

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I need some help guys, after finding out Nakaba Suzuki had a prolific career, I really want to hunt down Rising Impact and Blizzard Axel. Anybody know where I should look? Who sells use manga? Who sells older manga? Kinokuniya couldn't help me.....

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I need some help guys, after finding out Nakaba Suzuki had a prolific career, I really want to hunt down Rising Impact and Blizzard Axel. Anybody know where I should look? Who sells use manga? Who sells older manga? Kinokuniya couldn't help me.....
If you happen to live in or near New York, the Book Off there had nearly all of Rising Impact in the $1 section when I was there a week or so ago. No guarantee they'll still have it though. Otherwise, they both have sets available on Amazon Japan, or you could settle for ebooks if you like those.

RafaFedKilla

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you happen to live in or near New York, the Book Off there had nearly all of Rising Impact in the $1 section when I was there a week or so ago. No guarantee they'll still have it though. Otherwise, they both have sets available on Amazon Japan, or you could settle for ebooks if you like those.
Damn, I live in Texas. I thought Amazon Japan doesn't ship to the U.S. though or maybe I am mistaking it for Yahoo..... Thanks a bunch.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Damn, I live in Texas. I thought Amazon Japan doesn't ship to the U.S. though or maybe I am mistaking it for Yahoo..... Thanks a bunch.
They ship to the US, I've got some stuff that should be coming tomorrow in fact. It just costs a fair amount. They charge by the item, so definitely get the set; it counts as "one item."

RafaFedKilla

Reaction score
Country
United States
They ship to the US, I've got some stuff that should be coming tomorrow in fact. It just costs a fair amount. They charge by the item, so definitely get the set; it counts as "one item."
Thanks a bunch! Those bundle prices almost seem too good to be true.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks a bunch! Those bundle prices almost seem too good to be true.
They are too good to be true if you don't live in Japan, sadly. If you can find one that's fulfilled by Amazon, it'll have a 800 yen shipping fee plus 400 per item; otherwise, say hello to 3000 yen shipping fee for used items. Not all of them even ship to the US, you'll have to just try them one at a time. That said, even with the shipping it'll still probably be less than if you bought them all new.

RafaFedKilla

Reaction score
Country
United States
They are too good to be true if you don't live in Japan, sadly. If you can find one that's fulfilled by Amazon, it'll have a 800 yen shipping fee plus 400 per item; otherwise, say hello to 3000 yen shipping fee for used items. Not all of them even ship to the US, you'll have to just try them one at a time. That said, even with the shipping it'll still probably be less than if you bought them all new.
I am use to EMS prices for shipping for figs, so 3000 yen shipping won't deter me. Just a matter of finding the right seller now......

---------- Post added October 09, 2014 at 10:10 AM ---------- Previous post was October 06, 2014 at 04:29 PM ----------

Got Blizard Axel for 21 dollars shipped! Feel's like a steal, first of my life time. Wow.

Supercar

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone here who don't live in Japan buy their manga from honto? If so, how did you create an account? When I tried to register, it asked for Japanese residence and name.