Discussion - Who betrayed Minerva? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Who betrayed Minerva?

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
It was revealed in the latest chapter that Minerva was betrayed by someone he considered an ally and was subsequently hunted by his own clan. It's also the reason the village meant to aid escapees is now a hunting park. As I'm sure we most likely won't find out who the traitor is right away there's still quite a bit of speculation already, so I figured we could share some.

Personally I have 3 suspects but I'll share the first: Grandma

I feel it could be her because of her current position. She seems to have quite a bit of influence, not only over the mamas but also the demons, as shown in the bottom panel.

On the surface it looks like she's just doing her job, wanting her plantation and Isabella especially to be the best. But I feel like she showed her hand a bit here by insinuating she has her own plan. If it was all just strictly adhering to plantation politics why the need for pawns?
I'm basing my suspicion on her because she seems to have some leeway with the demon boss. Something I don't think humans can get without having done something to earn it. What better way than to betray a possible uprising from her fellow humans? Giving them Minerva specifically would have gone a long way. The fact that Minerva expected to be dead by the time someone heard his recording, I think there was a bounty on his head. The demons may have asked for his death in order for them to overlook what they might have seen as a betrayal of the promise.

Grandma is the least of my suspects, but she does have the makings of an upcoming main villain.

Hermit

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
I really love the idea of the traitor being Grandma, it does flesh her out as a character, mostly because as it is currently she seems to be the big bad behind the orphanages (Im assuming this position is different from all the others below it). So only one person can become Grandma, which would be the current woman. Just like how we have Minerva as the peace keeper between worlds, I think Grandma is sort of the same, except this time on the demon's side.
My guess for who the traitor is (Initially, till I saw the Grandma idea from @Belserion) was that the traitor is Lord Bayon. Mostly because of two things:
-Goldy Pond falling into his hands, when we already learned it was a safe haven beforehand
-Minerva's position as the peace keeper/mediator between both sides
Goldy Pond falling into Lord Bayon's hands works better if he was Minerva's aide/trusted ally before rather than it being a random coincidence. Unless it was handed to him by a higher up demon, and even that's a faulty assesment judging from the top secret nature of this place. Minerva fleeing from a place he started due to a betrayal, then having said place turned into a hellhole by Lord Bayon just follows continuity better for me
Minerva being a mediator means he has to interact with demons. And not just regular demons, higher up demons. We've already established that the demons are aristocrats, judging from their titles:
Bayon is a Lord, meaning Minerva would have to interact with people in his stead as part of his duties.

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
I also agree with @Emperor Spriggan with Bayon being the traitor.

Maybe he originally had the same ideals as James but later changed his views.

deyna

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
I also agree with @Emperor Spriggan with Bayon being the traitor.

Maybe he originally had the same ideals as James but later changed his views.
i don't think had the same ideals as james.. he planned to betray him from the beginning. he only pretended to work together with james then betray him later on, having even james's family to aim for his life.

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
i don't think had the same ideals as james.. he planned to betray him from the beginning. he only pretended to work together with james then betray him later on, having even james's family to aim for his life.
We can't say as of yet whether he had same ideas or not.

Just take a look at Isabella.During her childhood how she was very much like Emma.But afterwards how much she changed due to various reasons.We need more back story on Bayon and then see whether he intended to betray from the start or became a changed man.

deyna

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
also, i think it was a human who betrayed minerva, not a demon. a human who works for lord bayon. if it was a demon, it would be weird. i mean, why would a demon gone out of it's way to help a human, then betray him?

it's more logical the person to be human.

isabella is just a victim of the situation. she couldn't run away.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
also, i think it was a human who betrayed minerva, not a demon. a human who works for lord bayon. if it was a demon, it would be weird. i mean, why would a demon gone out of it's way to help a human, then betray him?

it's more logical the person to be human.

isabella is just a victim of the situation. she couldn't run away.
Wait, when you say a human who works for Lord Bayon, you mean someone at the play ground right now? Now that we learned Minerva has helpers/people on his side, it isn't far fetched to think that he built those safe houses with help.

deyna

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Wait, when you say a human who works for Lord Bayon, you mean someone at the play ground right now? Now that we learned Minerva has helpers/people on his side, it isn't far fetched to think that he built those safe houses with help.
there might be someone who's on bayon's side hiding in the playground, playing the victim. and of course minerva didn't build those houses by himself. here i'm hoping minerva's allies are still alive out there, keeping watch of a08-63 and all 4 high grade plantations.

Hermit

Reaction score
Country
Mozambique
there might be someone who's on bayon's side hiding in the playground, playing the victim.
This I can get behind:zomg

Arjuna

Reaction score
Country
India
Well James said he would send help so...

Archanium

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
What if...
Minerva wanted to free the children to the human world secretly... or just to take them to the safe place where nor human or demons are hunted aka the seven walls.

While, the traitor... who is a demon wanted the children to broke the promises so that he can hunts human again. Yes, I am talking about Song Joo as the traitor. That's also explain how he know about Minerva, and how Musica told Emma about the seven walls secretly behind him.

uberfayt

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
What if James (minerva) suffers from schizophrenia and had an evil split personality who betrayed him(self). He would've betrayed himself without even realizing it :kappa that would pretty funny (and actually a great twist) xD.

While at this point I cannot point my finger at anybody, but I'm confident the traitor is human.

Haya-san

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Galactic Empire
I would prefer that the author follow's the first rule in the Knox's decalogue:

Except, aside from the farm escapees who are all victims, there aren't that many human characters in the story so far. I too am almost sure that the culprit is a human. Grandmother is a possibility, though we still don't know much about her and how high-ranked she is in the system. Another possibility is that it's another member of Minerva's organization.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Edit: nvm. Been reading this manga in bulks lately and forgot when chapters come out lol! Well, that didn't last long, but with few suspects at this point, it was a good move from the author that he revealed it in the next chapter.

Belserion

Queen of Dragons
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Antigua and Barbuda
What if James (minerva) suffers from schizophrenia and had an evil split personality who betrayed him(self). He would've betrayed himself without even realizing it :kappa that would pretty funny (and actually a great twist) xD.

While at this point I cannot point my finger at anybody, but I'm confident the traitor is human.
I was secretly hoping for this :XD

But yes now we know the traitor was Minerva's brother Peter, and we got a bit of an explanation as to why he did it, for the sake of the human world according to him. There seems to have been an underlying tension on his part in regards to his brother, so it'll be interesting to see if there was more simmering resentment under the surface that made it so easy for him to turn on James. The small flashback showed him as a typical little brother trailing after his beloved older brother. So that dynamic would be interesting if the author decides to pursue it a bit more.

uberfayt

Reaction score
Country
Imperium of Mankind
I was secretly hoping for this :XD

But yes now we know the traitor was Minerva's brother Peter, and we got a bit of an explanation as to why he did it, for the sake of the human world according to him. There seems to have been an underlying tension on his part in regards to his brother, so it'll be interesting to see if there was more simmering resentment under the surface that made it so easy for him to turn on James. The small flashback showed him as a typical little brother trailing after his beloved older brother. So that dynamic would be interesting if the author decides to pursue it a bit more.
You know, I also think Peter is not evil or anything, he's just doing his job. I really liked how he mentioned he could've ignored the existence of a shelter or two ^^, shows he's not just a cold hearted prick. But I guess Minerva went too far in his "atonement", at least from the point of view of people in the human world, so somebody had to react and preserve the order.
I really love the development of the recent events ^^ but still, too bad we couldn't see "schizo" Minerva...:D