1. Two announcements to make:

Firstly, a new contest is up; for this week we have the Technology themed banner contest, so be sure to get involved and showcase your skills in design.

Secondly, voting for the Spring Art Contest is open, so be sure to vote for your favourite entry!
  2. The first voting day of the Anime League is here! Tell us which new Anime of this season you liked the most so far!
  3. We are looking for new moderators and News Writers. If you are interested, apply here.
  4. The first voting day of the Anime League is here! Tell us which new Anime of this season you liked the most so far!
  5. We Never Learn, U19, Demon Prince Poro's Diaries, Hungry Marie, Dr. Stone, Robot x Laserbeam. Tell us what you think of the newest additions to the WSJ line-up HERE!
  6. Starting from mid-February or so we'll be going through the media gallery and sorting through the submissions there to ensure they match with our recent changes listed in the Media Gallery Guide.
    As such some media files will be removed, so please be sure to look through your media and ensure it is up to requirements If you have any questions, contact a global/admin.
In case you've missed it, Mangahelpers is recruiting new Moderators/News Writers. If you're interested, please read HERE for more information.
Though artists in particular, everyone please do check out the [MEDIA GUIDE] , as there are information relevant for you all. Thanks!

Shounen World Trigger by ASHIHARA Daisuke

Discussion in 'Manga S - Z' started by Doraku, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Doraku

Doraku Repenting Smut Peddler

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted

The Wall
    [​IMG]

World Trigger
    By: Ashihara Daisuke
    Genre : Action and Supernatural
    Serialized in: Weekly Shounen Jump (Shuiesha)

Plot Summary:

Taken From Viz Media:

A gate to another dimension has burst open, and from it emerge gigantic invincible creatures that threaten all of humanity. Earth's only defense is a mysterious group of warriors who have co-opted the alien technology in order to fight back!

If you like the manga, check out our World Trigger anime discussion thread as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2015
  2. Divinenega

Divinenega Registered User

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member

United States
    Re: [New] World Trigger by ASHIHARA Daisuke

I was trying to resist the temptation and wait till the US release was out but my curiosity got the better of me. I'll probably end up reading that version anyway since the translations for the fan scanlation were so-so. Though at least there weren't as many grammar issues as Hungry Joker's translation.

That aside I like it so far. The art is pretty good, and the action scenes were done nicely. I didn't think the series would start off with the aliens having already "invaded" in a sense so I was a bit worried it would get into monster of the week territory for a while there, but the last page of the chapter has me hopefully that things will take a more interesting direction very quickly.

I also liked the twist towards the end of the chapter where
    the glasses guy actually turned out to be a member of the border organization and the white haired kid was sort of a red herring though he obviously has his own mysteries to him

Overall I think it's off to a pretty awesome start and I see a bit more promise here than in Hungry Joker even though I do still sort of like that series. Hopefully this will stay interesting and won't tank.

3. cearon

cearon Registered User

Turkey

I dont get this manga. It seems like it is trying something but what it is trying is i cant get. The plot seems somewhat reminiscent of Dragon Eye . You change the naver with zombies and the urban setting to fantasy 1. Characters dont seem to have anything going on for them. The white haired kid is annoying and it has been tried so hard to be cool he just isnt. Glasses is by the book and i dont know what he will be in the end.

I see the same failings in this 1 as Bulge had without the comedic affect. Art was good thou i failed to see the genius of the author......

4. Maxy Barnard

Maxy Barnard Scanlator

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity

United Kingdom

I like it, though I feel a lot of that is down to Ashihara's strong line and ability to design main characters. I mean Rilienthal and the MC of this share the same expressions and stuff, which is a treat. Ultimate failing may be that he doesn't seem very likeable so far in though. Promising, but could go wrong so easily

Also God, I'm sorry for anyone who had to read mangapanda's abortion of a translation.

umpalet likes this.
  5. Galactic Tomahawk

Galactic Tomahawk Registered User

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member

Canada

Liked the art... Didn't care much for the first chapter. It felt like the first chapter of about fifty other shounen manga I read and I couldn't really get much out of it beyond that.

However I like Ashihara and sometimes these things take a while to get going so I'll stick with it.

6. Ninja2

Ninja2 Registered User

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner

United States

It's pretty average atm hopefully there's something more behind these navers that are not just alien monsters some intelligent beings that have a cause for wanting to habitat the planet need more interesting enemies to be introduced.

7. Zatono

Zatono MH Senpai

United States

I've read the Viz version, and according to them they're called "neighbors" and not "navers". Just thought I'd point that out for future reference.

FanOfAniManga likes this.
  8. Nasser

Nasser Registered User

Saudi Arabia

I just read it on shonen jump, and I most say it was pretty interesting. I hoped we got more of that fight against that huge neighbor, though.

9. FanOfAniManga

FanOfAniManga Registered User

Canada

I think the reason some people might not like World Trigger is because it just seems so mean-spirited. I mean, it's not just the bullies who are jerks, but the main character too. Right from the first chapter, we're greeted to Kuga whose distinct traits are quitting things on a whim and treating people that try to help him poorly, for no reason whatsoever. It's not charming to put on a cute face and refuse to help your friends while they're DIAF trying to protect you. He's selfish and annoying.

And why is it that he suddenly wants to help Osamu near the end? What caused him to make a 180 degree turn in his personality in the span of only a couple of pages? The lack of consistency in his already messed up personality is also one of my biggest concerns with this manga, along with the plot being another scenario of humans protecting their land from aliens taking over the world.

Maybe I'm being a little harsh because it's just the first chapter, but so are the cancellation pressures of the ToC, especially for scifi manga. Things need to change very soon if Ashihara-sensei plans to write more than just another short story.

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 AM ----------

P.S. Did anyone else notice that one of the bullies was reading Rilienthal? That's pretty out of character for a bully to read a light-hearted manga.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  10. Maxy Barnard

Maxy Barnard Scanlator

United Kingdom

I noticed, but I took it as fact that EVERYONE should like Super Dog Rilienthal

andysislands likes this.
  11. FanOfAniManga

FanOfAniManga Registered User

Canada

When I first skimmed the raw chapter, I got really disappointed for two reasons:
    1. There were no Neighbors in sight. You'd think for a manga about fighting off monsters from another dimension, you'd see them again real soon.
    2. Kuga's face with three dashes for eyes and a "3" for a mouth got kinda annoying. He makes this expression all the time, it was hard to take him seriously throughout the chapter.

Then when I started reading the translation, I got more disappointed from the fact that:
    1. It seems to focus more on the local delinquents, kinda like another manga. *cough* Beelzebub *cough*.
    2. The delinquents' acting seemed a bit random when they were trying to extort Kuga's money at first. Why did the delinquent start acting as if Kuga broke his leg when they didn't even touch each other? Actually, they did. It was a little fast for it to happen, however, which is why I didn't notice at first.

What made me feel better about it by the end was how Ashihara really made Kuga seem more of a socially awkward kid than just a jerk as with the last chapter. In fact, he kinda seems like a nice kid. That's exactly what a socially awkward person looks like to other people: someone who seems really nice sometimes and seems like a jerk at other times, but trying hard to be accepted either way.

And maybe it's not so bad for the manga to take a break from just fighting the Neighbors. It may be a bit early, but maybe sticking with the Neighbors invading the city wouldn't have been better.

I think I've gained a little hope for the series after reading the latest chapter, but again, it's too early to tell what'll happen with this series.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  12. Divinenega

Divinenega Registered User

United States

Read chapter 3.

Still seems like it's setting things ip but we did get a few more details as to how humanity's been dealing with the whole invasion thing and its sort of curious how they managed to contain the teleportations into one spot. The fact that it didn't happen in this chapter means something's up though. Still not really sure where this is headed but it hasn't made any serious missteps so far, or at least not as bad as Tamagahara or Hungry Joker(even though I like the latter). Really curious how it'll end up doing in the polls, though I'd be surprised if it ranked high

13. TheBlackLotus

TheBlackLotus Registered User

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member

United States
    This series is falling behind, or is no groups scanning it anymore? I'm not sure.

It seems like it has potential, but its hard to tell so far. Curious to see where its going but its starting to end up like STA&Rs did for me, where it starts with a cool concept and then i just slowly lose interest in the plot.

14. Doraku

Doraku Repenting Smut Peddler

MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted

The Wall
    According to BakaUpdates, the last scanlation was dated 23 days ago. Since it's a JUMP manga, It's pretty safe to say that the groups were dropping it. The hype for this manga fell short.

15. Maxy Barnard

Maxy Barnard Scanlator

United Kingdom
    Also when a huge chunk of the audience can just read the official release? not too much incentive to scanlate.

16. Rica_Patin

Rica_Patin Registered User

United States
    Most of us aren't going to pay Viz for their scanlations. Especially when most of the series in their abridged version of Jump aren't any good, and even with the few good series they do have they literally butcher and rape it by changing names like Zoro to Zolo.

And I honestly just think Mangaburn is slow. Sometimes they go a few weeks without releasing a chapter of the various series so I don't think we should necessarily assume they've dropped World Trigger.

---------- Post added May 05, 2013 at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was May 03, 2013 at 12:35 AM ----------

http://kissmanga.com/Manga/World-Trigger/World-Trigger-009----Kitora-Ai-Part-003?id=163129
    Told ya guys it wasn't dropped.

17. Maxy Barnard

Maxy Barnard Scanlator

United Kingdom
    Oh c'mon now, anyone who cares that much about an R to an L needs to reassess priorities. Especially when most people are content to get free illegal shit from people like mangapanda who don't even seem to understand the english language. But still, yay you! You used rape in a way that wasn't super cruddy at all.

Viz do over a quarter of Weekly Jump with a bunch of other series for pennies an issue (free on android, I believe) and people aren't willing to pay? Ecch, faith in humanity reduced successfully.

My point also totally still stands: the majority of the western audience for World Trigger uses their service, just by sheer virtue of the fact that they release the chapters day and date.

andysislands likes this.
  18. Kamen Rider Dragon

Kamen Rider Dragon Registered User

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member

United States
    Yeah they changed it back to Zoro a while ago when Funimation got it.. And the magazine is so cheap and translations are great it's a real steal.

Maxy Barnard likes this.
  19. Rica_Patin

Rica_Patin Registered User

United States
    That is an objective LIE.

20. michalek10866

michalek10866 Registered User

Poland
    Raw of chapter 17 was already released.I hope this series will get more attention