Discussion - Would you guys prefer a Germany v Japan Final? | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Discussion Would you guys prefer a Germany v Japan Final?

Who do you think will make the finals? [Pick 2 Teams.]

• Total voters

felixng2011

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Or would you guys like Japan vs America instead. Personally I hope for a rematch.
Also what do you think will happen? Will Germany be beaten by the Swiss or Americans or even French? Will Japan possibly lose before making it to the Finals?

ChinkyCandie

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Australia
It would make sense if there was a rematch. They are number one, the final boss. I remember someone saying something like Japan defeats the US, Ryoma rejoins Japan and the doubles pair would be Ryoma/Tokugawa vs Tezuka/Volk.
Seems plausible actually. And someone takes on singles 1 with whoever.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
I took the liberty to add a poll.

Personally, I'm definitely expecting Japan to reach the finals after beating the US in the semis. As for their opponent, I'm going to make a bold guess and say it'll be France. Camus' revolution will overthrow the kings and then get stopped by the Japanese.

ChinkyCandie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
^ You do make a good point with Camus. What about Medanore? He is said to be better than Volk. Medanore is probably based on Rafael Nadal.
Off topic question. So we think Volk is based on Djokovic, Amadeus is probably based on Federer. Who is Camus based on? I mean the highest ranked French Pro is Tsonga.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
What about Medanore? He is said to be better than Volk.
Greater potential than Volk, not necessarily better right now.

I'm currently thinking Spain will go up against Japan, maybe he'll face Byoudouin. Would make a lot of sense if Byoudouin doesn't get Amadeus in the group league since a pro level opponent would definitely force him to go all-out and would make his threat level clear, especially if Japan faces the US in the semis. By extension, regardless of who Byoudouin plays before Ryoma is probably on par with the pros.

Who is Camus based on? I mean the highest ranked French Pro is Tsonga.
Don't think he's based on any real life pro. But that would make sense because Camus is said to revolutionize the way tennis is played, in other words it should be someone who doesn't actually exist right now I think.

TFJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
I expected Germany vs Japan finals. It follows the Rikkai trying to maintain a streak.
But that French Revolution sounds hot.

I expect Medandore to be used to show Japan strength against pros.
Us can't make finals because then the Ryoma storyis messed up.

ChinkyCandie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
@ Kaoz: Now that you've mentioned it, Camus sounds like Nishikori. I mean he was a nobody until he broke into the top 10 and revolutionised Asian tennis. Not the world though but the biggest continent.

TennisFan911

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
It would make sense if there was a rematch. They are number one, the final boss. I remember someone saying something like Japan defeats the US, Ryoma rejoins Japan and the doubles pair would be Ryoma/Tokugawa vs Tezuka/Volk.
Seems plausible actually. And someone takes on singles 1 with whoever.
Atobe vs QP

TFJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ryoma can't play doubles. He isn't a doubles player right. Besides Tezuka isn't his goalpost anymore is it.

On that note, who is Ryomas enemy from Germany. Volk seems underwhelming.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
If Ryoma isn't in the final match of this series, i.e. WC finals Singles 1, I will eat my hat (not literally).

On that note, who is Ryomas enemy from Germany. Volk seems underwhelming.
The only one Ryoma has any connection to on the German team is Tezuka, he's gonna go up against either him or Volk if he has to play the Germans. If it's Tezuka then probably right after Tezuka signs a contract with Pupke. For that matter, why's Volk underwhelming? He completely overwhelmed both TnK!Tezuka in their practice match and Tokugawa/Yukimura in the Pre-WC. Those are some of the strongest characters we know about. Plus he's been undefeated on the pro circuit for a year.

TFJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
I mean underwhelming as a Ryoma opponent. Right now Volk is "I have the strongest basic technique and body." Ryoma always fights the strongest, but I feel like the strongest is usually a little more unique.
Granted we haven't seen all of Volk yet. And he has a ton of build up. I just mean his main style is just great basics and controls, and he restricts his special shots.

ChinkyCandie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I mean underwhelming as a Ryoma opponent. Right now Volk is "I have the strongest basic technique and body." Ryoma always fights the strongest, but I feel like the strongest is usually a little more unique.
I agree with you here. Anyone vs Ryoma is underwhelming which I think is stupid. If you look at other popular anime, the protagonist(s) have their fair share of losses.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Ah, I get where you're coming from. As Ryoma's opponent I'm inclined to agree, for I think slightly different reasons though. This is just in context of the final opponent, but in PoT, more so than Yukimura being the strongest he was the anti-thesis of what Ryoma represented in the final match - that is, "playing tennis for fun" vs "playing tennis purely for victory." Volk doesn't really seem to have any traits that contradict Ryoma like that, does he?

So from that angle the question is: who does? The two that come to my mind first and foremost are Byoudouin and Ryoga. Byoudouin if we take the approach of victory at all costs vs honor, Ryoga if we're talking about country loyalty. So does that mean the finals are going to be Japan vs America after all? Maybe, but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty convinced Ryoma is going to rejoin Japan before the end of the WC (because of this, [url=http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-R3YWECMkFIw/U_UK0fHb9AI/AAAAAAAAmds/e78cLyxmwns/s16000/008.png]this and this) which basically excludes Byoudouin as final opponent. At the same time I'm not convinced Ryoma would switch sides without Japan vs USA happening and the US getting eliminated. And even if it's not in the finals, he's probably going to play Byoudouin at some point. So as you can probably tell by now, this is a bit of a dilemma. Now here's a thought though - and I know this is far-fetched - but Ryoma is registered for multiple countries, right? What if Ryoga is as well? That way Ryoma vs Byoudouin could happen in the semis, US loses, Ryoma switches sides and then still gets to face Ryoga in the finals despite the US being already eliminated.

So again, this is a really far-fetched theory, but here's a follow-up question: what was Ryoga even doing in Macau? He obviously wasn't there as part of the American team. And did Japan play against the Macauan national team or just random teams from that area? If the former, did Ryoga join Macau to then join Japan in order to convince Ryoma to come with him to America? And if so, who knows how many other national teams he's a part of.

Of course there are several alternatives, such as:
  • Ryoma rejoining Japan without playing Byoudouin and for completely unrelated reasons.
  • Me being completely wrong about this anti-thesis thing.

If you look at other popular anime, the protagonist(s) have their fair share of losses.
Onepunch Man and Sakamoto desu ga? disagree.[/url]

ChinkyCandie

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I was thinking more AoT (Levi and Mikasa get all the action while Eren pretty much sucks), Prince of Stride (the male protagonist doesn't actually win races until the very end).

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
To continue my thought from earlier for a moment, which team could Ryoga also be a part of? How about Switzerland. Think about it. Amadeus is said to have assembled a team bursting with talent thanks to his charisma. Do you need charisma to get talented people from your own country? What if Amadeus has actually gathered talents from around the world instead? And does this situation sound familiar? Yes, the answer is indeed Nagoya Seitoku.

Anera

Reaction score
Country
France
Amadeus is said to have assembled a team bursting with talent thanks to his charisma. Do you need charisma to get talented people from your own country? What if Amadeus has actually gathered talents from around the world instead? And does this situation sound familiar? Yes, the answer is indeed Nagoya Seitoku.
Could we say the same for the US team then ? I mean, Rhinehart gathered some elite players as well with his charisma and nothing indicated it was US players only.

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Could we say the same for the US team then ? I mean, Rhinehart gathered some elite players as well with his charisma and nothing indicated it was US players only.
No, because he didn't gather them and they complimented his leadership skills rather than his charisma. The US players had been there from the beginning, but apparently were too egoistic to form an actual team and that held them back. Rhinehart fixed that.

Anera

Reaction score
Country
France
No, because he didn't gather them and they complimented his leadership skills rather than his charisma. The US players had been there from the beginning, but apparently were too egoistic to form an actual team and that held them back. Rhinehart fixed that.
I think it's more an issue of perception (let's agree to disagree :smile-big). You need charisma to form a team and both Rhinehart (Q.P. mentionned it iirc) and Amadeus did that, that doesn't really mean that Amadeus especially recruited foreign players compared to the US captain. Your reasoning for Rhinehart could also apply to Amadeus, maybe Swiss players were selfish as well and only thought about their own careers, who knows ?

Kaoz

Mr. Elite
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Germany
You need charisma to form a team and both Rhinehart (Q.P. mentionned it iirc) and Amadeus did that, that doesn't really mean that Amadeus especially recruited foreign players compared to the US captain. Your reasoning for Rhinehart could also apply to Amadeus, maybe Swiss players were selfish as well and only thought about their own careers, who knows ?
QP didn't say that about Rhinehart. He only mentioned leadership abilities and Mitsuya then expanded on what that meant ("bonding together mismatched elites"). Also the same reasoning doesn't work for actually getting players on the team - playing in the WC is, according to Volk, a prime method of getting a pro contract, i.e. furthering your careers, because so many sponsors are there too. Even if you're selfish you want to be on the team at least. On a meta level I also don't think Konomi would give two important characters the exact same skill.

TennisFan911

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Ah, I get where you're coming from. As Ryoma's opponent I'm inclined to agree, for I think slightly different reasons though. This is just in context of the final opponent, but in PoT, more so than Yukimura being the strongest he was the anti-thesis of what Ryoma represented in the final match - that is, "playing tennis for fun" vs "playing tennis purely for victory." Volk doesn't really seem to have any traits that contradict Ryoma like that, does he?

So from that angle the question is: who does? The two that come to my mind first and foremost are Byoudouin and Ryoga. Byoudouin if we take the approach of victory at all costs vs honor, Ryoga if we're talking about country loyalty. So does that mean the finals are going to be Japan vs America after all? Maybe, but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty convinced Ryoma is going to rejoin Japan before the end of the WC (because of this, [URL='http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-R3YWECMkFIw/U_UK0fHb9AI/AAAAAAAAmds/e78cLyxmwns/s16000/008.png']this and this) which basically excludes Byoudouin as final opponent. At the same time I'm not convinced Ryoma would switch sides without Japan vs USA happening and the US getting eliminated. And even if it's not in the finals, he's probably going to play Byoudouin at some point. So as you can probably tell by now, this is a bit of a dilemma. Now here's a thought though - and I know this is far-fetched - but Ryoma is registered for multiple countries, right? What if Ryoga is as well? That way Ryoma vs Byoudouin could happen in the semis, US loses, Ryoma switches sides and then still gets to face Ryoga in the finals despite the US being already eliminated.[/URL]
[URL='http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SgiEzpKjfI0/U9_7qPr9LlI/AAAAAAABSXg/eS06CBMufks/s16000/008.png']
So again, this is a really far-fetched theory, but here's a follow-up question: what was Ryoga even doing in Macau? He obviously wasn't there as part of the American team. And did Japan play against the Macauan national team or just random teams from that area? If the former, did Ryoga join Macau to then join Japan in order to convince Ryoma to come with him to America? And if so, who knows how many other national teams he's a part of.

Of course there are several alternatives, such as:

Onepunch Man and Sakamoto desu ga? disagree.
[/URL]

I'd like to see Ryoma play Kintaro and settle once and for all who the real ''Super rookie'' is