Shounen - Yakusoku no Neverland by Kaiu Shirai and Posuka Demizu | Page 29 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Shounen Yakusoku no Neverland by Kaiu Shirai and Posuka Demizu

cody

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
I hope they reveal the real anime staff soon...

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
Inspirational Story of Kaiu Shirai (Author of The Promised Neverland) :
Shirai apparently worked for some company after graduating university. He said it had nothing to do with manga at all and that this is his first time being a real mangaka (or rather manga author). He was about to give up after several of his scripts got trashed and told himself that he wasn't talented. He regretted it and "The Promised Neverland" was his last attempt to become a mangaka. Which was written 3 years ago. He wrote 300 pages, because he was unable to properly summarise it and naturally a lot of things were changed from his original script. Again his script was trashed by most of the companies because nobody would read 300 pages. According to rules, While presenting a story. The author has to present within 25-30 pages. But his intention was just to know if this last attempt was any good or trash like his previous ones. Newcomers usually don't bring 300 pages to such a evaluation meeting, because it's absurd. When he was about to quit, One of his friends called up and Shirai to meet him. This friend knew Pozuka Demizu (Manga Artist) personally and he suggested Shirai to present his scripts to her.
But Demizu was a strict manga author and usually turns down most of the scripts if she doesn’t like it. When Demizu encountered Shirai she read the whole script at once. She would usually get bored midway when she read scripts, but this time - all 300 pages - were so entertaining that she couldn't stop. Now Demizu wanted to present Shirai’s story to Weekly Shonen Jump. But there was a problem, Shirai can’t draw. So Demizu’s friend Sugita came up with the idea i.e Demizu would draw the art and Shirai will be the story writer. Eventually the story got accepted by Weekly Shonen Jump and its highly appreciated by the critics.

OfficialHxH

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shirai apparently worked for some company after graduating university. He said it had nothing to do with manga at all and that this is his first time being a real mangaka (or rather manga author). He was about to give up after several of his scripts got trashed and told himself that he wasn't talented. He regretted it and "The Promised Neverland" was his last attempt to become a mangaka. Which was written 3 years ago. He wrote 300 pages, because he was unable to properly summarise it and naturally a lot of things were changed from his original script. Again his script was trashed by most of the companies because nobody would read 300 pages. According to rules, While presenting a story. The author has to present within 25-30 pages. But his intention was just to know if this last attempt was any good or trash like his previous ones. Newcomers usually don't bring 300 pages to such a evaluation meeting, because it's absurd. When he was about to quit, One of his friends called up and Shirai to meet him. This friend knew Pozuka Demizu (Manga Artist) personally and he suggested Shirai to present his scripts to her.
But Demizu was a strict manga author and usually turns down most of the scripts if she doesn’t like it. When Demizu encountered Shirai she read the whole script at once. She would usually get bored midway when she read scripts, but this time - all 300 pages - were so entertaining that she couldn't stop. Now Demizu wanted to present Shirai’s story to Weekly Shonen Jump. But there was a problem, Shirai can’t draw. So Demizu’s friend Sugita came up with the idea i.e Demizu would draw the art and Shirai will be the story writer. Eventually the story got accepted by Weekly Shonen Jump and its highly appreciated by the critics.
That was an interesting read. Where'd you get it from?

Erinyes

Savage Huntress
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Its from a 2-parts itw of the authors (from feb 04th 2017) Banzaimag has provided a summary that was posted back then, here's the 1st part :
http://news.mixi.jp/view_news.pl?id=4416729&media_id=141
昨年8月から『週刊少年ジャンプ』誌上で連載が開始された異色のサスペンス作『約束のネバーランド』(原作:白井カイウ/作画:出水ぽすか)が今、話題だ。

昨年には「漫道コバヤシ漫画大賞2016期待の新連載賞」を受賞し、さらに「マンガ大賞2017」のノミネート13作品にも選ばれている。

物語の舞台は、とある町はずれの森の中に存在する孤児院“グレイス=フィールドハウス”。ここは優しい“ママ”こと淑女イザベラの保護のもと、12歳以下の孤児たち38人が慎(つつ)ましくも仲良く暮らす平和な施設…のはずだったが、そこで暮らす最年長12歳の少女・エマはある日、この施設の真の姿を知ってしまう…。

エマは仲間たちの命を守るべく、頼れる同い年の天才孤児・ノーマンと一緒に皆を引き連れ、密(ひそ)かに“脱獄”計画を実行しようとするが…。

読者の反響は「ジャンプ作品なのに全然ジャンプっぽくない!」「漫画なのに上質の海外ドラマを見ているようで、毎回続きが気になりすぎる!」等々、日本の漫画界を牽引する王道の『少年ジャンプ』というブランドの中にあって、そのカラーに縛られない自由な作風で独自の路線が支持されているのだ。

2月3日(金)には単行本第2巻が発売。そこで今回、作者である両先生に独占で初のロングインタビューを敢行。その立ち上げから担当する編集・杉田卓氏を交えた3人に、この異色作の誕生秘話からその作風の裏側にある創作への想いまで存分に語ってもらった! 

―おふたりともに本作が『週刊少年ジャンプ』でのデビュー作ということですが、原作の白井先生は完全にこれが漫画家としての連載デビュー作とか?
白井カイウ先生
(以下、白井) はい、そういうことになります。

―そして作画の出水先生は以前、別の雑誌で連載をお持ちだったということですが。

出水ぽすか先生(以下、出水) ええ、他の出版社になってしまうんですが、小学館の『コロコロコミック』や『てれびくん』という雑誌でお仕事をさせていただいていました。

―それがどういう経緯で一緒にお仕事をされるようになったのか。作品が誕生した経緯について、まずお聞かせください。

出水 この作品のそもそもの始まりというのは、白井先生が今から3年ほど前に作られた持ち込みネームからなんですよね。

―えっ、この作品の原型が3年も前から存在していたんですか?

白井 はい。とはいえ、別にそれで賞を獲ったとかそういうことではなく、本当にただ持ち込んで(編集者に)見ていただいただけのネームなんですけどね。

―では、それ以前からそうして漫画家を目指して持ち込みを?

白井 いえ、それがまたそういうことでもなくて、たまたまと言いますか…。私は元々、大学を卒業後、一般企業に就職して会社員をやっていたんです。それもお話を作ったり、絵を描いたりという世界とは全く無縁の仕事でした。

―そこからどうして漫画家に転身を?

白井 今から思えば、たぶん形に残ることをしてみたくなったんだと思います。当時の仕事は好きで、やりがいもあったのですが、休みなく働いて、形には残らない仕事で。形に残らないことは悪いことではないのですが、その仕事を辞めた後に、次は何か形に残る仕事をしてみたいなと。

―それで創作活動の世界へ?

白井 ええ、お話を作るということは、実際にやったことはなかったんですけど、ずっと興味や憧れはあったので。やるからにはちゃんと本腰入れてやろうと思いました。それで実際に漫画原稿の形になった作品をいくつか完成させて、あちこち応募して見てもらって。でもまぁ何ひとつ響きませんでしたね(笑)。見事に箸(はし)にも棒にも引っかからない。

「ああこりゃ自分、才能ないわ!」って諦めかけていました。でもやっぱりそのまま終わるのは悔しいので「これで最後だ!」くらいのつもりで作ったのが『約束のネバーランド』の元になったネームでした。でも、それがかなり長くなっちゃったんですよね。描いてるうちに300ページ超えちゃって…。

―いきなり300ページ以上!?

白井 もちろん今の本編とは全く違うところもたくさんあるんですけど、そこに当てはめて言うと、主人公たちが施設の秘密に気づいてそこから脱獄するまでくらいのストーリーは入れ込んでました。そうなると企画上、とても読切サイズではまとめられず。

―さすがに持ち込むにしては大作すぎますね…。

白井 ええ、しかもネームの状態でその分量でしたから、どうしようかと思って。でも削るのも難しかったですし、友達に見せたら「面白い、いっそ原作志望で持ち込んでみろ」と言ってもらえて、じゃあ、その通りネーム原作で持ち込んでみようかと。

そもそも、これが漫画として評価に値するものかどうか、それだけでもプロの編集さんに聞いてみたいと思ったんです。それでダメだったら、もう才能ないと思って、やめる踏ん切りもつくかなと。それを持ち込んだ先がまさに週刊少年ジャンプの編集部、見てくださったのが現在の担当編集者でもある杉田さんでした。

―それが今から約3年前、というところに繋(つな)がるわけですね。

白井 そういうことです。

―実際、300ページ以上も持ち込んでこられた側としては、どうでした杉田さん? そこまでの新人さんもあまりいないのでは…。

杉田 持ち込み希望の電話を受けて、もちろん時間は空けてたんですが、まさかそんな物量があるとは想像すらしてなかったので、次の別件の打ち合わせもその1時間後くらいに入れてたんですよ。それで初めて白井さんにお会いして、目の前に出されたのが300ページ(笑)。15話分くらいあるんですよ。ビックリしました。

まず頭から読んでみて、つまらなかったら途中でいったん読むのをやめて、そこまでで1回話をしようと思いました。でもこれが面白くて、なんと最後まで読めちゃったんですよね。それでようやく、これはすごい人が来たなと。

でも、当時の白井さんはまだ賞を獲ったこともなければ他誌での掲載歴があるわけでもなかったので、そこからデビューに持っていくのは編集部周りの説得も含めてかなりの準備が必要になります。とはいえ、面白いのは間違いなかったので、なんとかこの才能を世に出したいと思ったんです。

―ではまずその段階での判断として、作画は別の方にお任せするということに?

白井 そうですね。私は元々そのつもりでしたし、そこは杉田さんとも相談して、その方向で考えることにしました。

杉田 この作品の質を考えると、ファンタジーでありながらホラーやサスペンスの要素もあって、様々なタイプの絵を総合的に描ける人でないと、原作の本当の良さを100%引き出せないと感じました。そうなると、これは画力に関して発展途上の白井さんじゃなくて、それができる絵のプロフェッショナルの先生と組んだほうが絶対よくなると思ったのがひとつ。白井さんの本領はストーリーですから。

それにもうひとつ大きな懸念は、この緻密な原作を週刊ペースで作っていくのは絶対に大変だということですね。そのクオリティを維持するためにも原作と作画は分けたほうが得策だろうという判断です

白井 それでいろいろな先生方を当たっていく中で、ようやく「この人!」という方に出会えたのが出水先生だったんです。

―そこでやっと出水先生の出番が!

出水 はい、そこでようやくです(笑)。だから白井先生と杉田さんが過ごされてきた約3年の準備期間の中でいうと、私が入ったのはかなり後になってからなんです。具体的には2016年に入ってから、この輪の中に参加させてもらうことになりました。

―ただ、おふたりが最初にコンビを組まれたのは本作が最初ではないんですよね?

白井 はい。「ジャンプ+」での『ポピィの願い』という読切作品が最初です。

―これが公開されたのが『約束のネバーランド』連載開始の約半年前。2016年の2月ですね。

出水 そうなんです。ちょうど他誌でやっていた連載が終わって、すぐのタイミングでお声がけいただいたんですよ。それで是非やりましょうという話になりました。

―ということは、最初は白井先生のほうからアプローチされた?

白井 はい。出水先生のイラストは以前から拝見していて、とてもいいなぁと思っていたんです。でも他でお仕事されている間にお声がけするわけにはいかなかったので、それが途切れたとおぼしき瞬間に(笑)。ダメ元覚悟でしたが、快くお引き受けいただけて。

出水 最初は、杉田さん経由でご連絡をいただきました。それで白井先生の原作を初めて拝読したんですけど、それが個人的に胸に刺さったといいますか、本当にめちゃくちゃ面白い…!と思ったんです。「これは是非やりたい!」とふたつ返事でお受けしまして、そこからですね。

―じゃあ、ともに第一印象から相思相愛だったんですね。

白井 ええ、でも最初は私の強烈な片想いでしたけどね。もうほとんどただのファンでしたよ(笑)。お会いする前から完全に絵に惚れ込んでしまって、ぶっちゃけこの読切だけでもいいから一度、出水先生と是非お仕事してみたい!…くらいにまで思ってたので。

―それは具体的にはどういうところに惚(ほ)れこんで?

白井 それを挙げ始めると止まりませんよ?(笑) まず人の絵が生き生きしてる。それに表情の表現力がとても豊かで、どんなお芝居も描ける。世界観もトータルで作れるし。何より子供の絵が可愛いんですよね、モブがモブのレベルじゃない!

―本当に止まりませんね(笑)。

白井 他にもまだまだたくさんあります!(笑)。だから『ポピィの願い』の作画の話を受けていただけた時は、本当に嬉しかったですね。そもそもこの読切自体、この世界観をしっかり描いていただける人なら、引き続きお受けいただけるかどうかは別として『約束のネバーランド』もきっとお任せできるだろうという気持ちで作った原作でしたので。

それで実際に出水先生に描いていただいた原稿を見て、もう想像していた以上に素晴らしかったので。是非、連載もお願いできると嬉しいという話をさせていただきました。

出水 とても光栄なお話です。これだけ才能のある原作者の先生にそこまで言っていただけるなんて、こんなに嬉しいことはありません。

―その流れで『約束のネバーランド』の作画も担当されることになったんですね。

出水 はい。でも、それでまず連載の1~3話にあたる原作を読ませていただいて、ここでまた衝撃を受けました。読んで最初に思ったのが「あれ、全然ジャンプっぽくない!?」って(笑)。『ポピィの願い』でもそういう面はありましたけど、それに輪をかけてますますジャンプっぽさからはみ出たような原作だったので。

白井 それはもう…出水先生だけじゃなくて、それまでにお見せした、大抵の作家さんに言われましたね(笑)。

―確かに、少年漫画のセオリーから外れているところが多々ありますよね。そもそも女のコが主人公というのも珍しいと思いますが、これには何か意図が?

白井 いや、単に最初作った300ページのネームの段階からそうだっただけです。その時はジャンプに向けて作ろうとしていたわけでもなかったので。それで持ち込む際も特に変えず、そのまま持っていきました。もしツッコまれたら変えればいいやくらいのつもりで。結果、杉田さんからも特にお咎(とが)めなしだったので、そのままでいくことになりました。

杉田 一応、ツッコみましたけどね! 逆に結構、頑(かたく)なに抵抗にあった記憶も(笑)。でも別にそのままでも十分面白かったし、この絶妙なバランスを出来合いのセオリーを気にして崩すのは作品を殺しかねないという感覚はありました。

そもそも、この作品全体がジャンプのセオリーから外れまくっていて、それを狙って作っていましたし。別にいいかなと。それより他の作品にないことをやって、ここまで面白くできているんだから、そこで突き抜けて目立てる作品にしていこうと。

白井 そこを許容していただけたのはありがたかったですね。でもそのやり方で本当にちゃんとやっていけるのか試したくて。それで本誌での連載以前に「ジャンプ+」で読切を2作描かせてもらったんですが、それもあえて、読者の反応を見るために両方ともジャンプの王道を外すような作品にして。キャラクターは薄いんだけど、世界観や設定のギミックで見せるというおおよそジャンプらしくない作風で(笑)。

―『ポピィの願い』もその一環だったと。全てはその後の本誌連載への布石だったわけですね。
Sorry 2nd part link doesnt work anymore :pout

Elusia

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I saw this story before on TPN reddit. Still an inspiring story nonetheless :hearts

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
India
So in other words it might not be absolutely true then since it's no official source...
Well Erin and Elu already said it's true and saw it before so :awe

OfficialHxH

Reaction score
Country
United States
For any confusion this is what we will be getting:

The Promised Neverland (On the cover drawn by Posuka Demizu)

The Promised Neverland (Alternative book cover)

The Promised Neverland Special chapter (8 pages)

The Promised Neverland Spin-off (11 pages in color)

hai_Priesty

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
Last call for The Promised Neverland Popularity Contest -
The Popularity Contest Dateline is 9th July 2018! Cast your votes by postcard!

(As I just noticed the "同日消印有効"mark in the rules of next to due date, it implies that no matter where you're sending to Japan from, as long as your voting postcard is franked in your country by 9th July 2018 (next Monday) Shueisha will honour your vote. For Non-Japanese speakers I've filled up an example below on how to vote XD )

I've filled out a sample. Multiple voting allowed apparently.

What to write:
[1] Address of Shueisha (Attn to voting campaign)
[2] Your Favcharacter
[3] Your Postal Code
[4] Your Address
[5] Your Full Name
[6] Your Age
[7] You Academic Year / Occupation
[8] Tel No.
(Excuse my handwriting =P)

100 lucky voters will receive and special-made Neverland Mug Cup!

hai_Priesty

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
To clarify, the address to send would be to Japan,
〒119-0163
東京都千代田区一ツ橋2-5-10
集英社 週刊少年ジャンプ26号約束のネバーランド人気投票係

Alanood

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Arab Emirates
I hope they reveal the real anime staff soon...
I got a feeling that the OSTs are going to be amazing (the anime adaption reveal trailer music was good).
But I worry for the studio.
According to rumors, CloverWorks (and 1A-P) wil be the studio making the anime. Which is bad imo.
I think the best studio which will make the anime a big hit is Bones. Great animation, great music, huge budget and faithful adaption like Boku no Hero will make TPN anime a huge mainstream hit. Plus they will make seasons of the TPN if it succeeds.

Elusia

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I got a feeling that the OSTs are going to be amazing (the anime adaption reveal trailer music was good).
According to rumors, CloverWorks (and 1A-P) wil be the studio making the anime. Which is bad imo.
I think the best studio which will make the anime a big hit is Bones. Great animation, great music, huge budget and faithful adaption like Boku no Hero will make TPN anime a huge mainstream hit. Plus they will make seasons of the TPN if it succeeds.
I feel like Bones has too much adapdations to fill up already, which could result in TPN getting a bit rushed.

Even though Cloverworks/A1 is the likely studio to animate it, I'd still like other studios like Madhouse or Shaft. But as a whole, Cloverworks/A1 isn't really a bad studio, far from it.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Yeah, the OST will probably good no matter what.

The CloverWorks rumors have been around since the start, but we still don't have any kind of confirmation. I will be worried if they end up being the studio, because they tend to be very inconsistent. Maybe TPN can be their best anime so far, but you never know in this industry. Aniplex on the production committee + the show airing on the Noitamina time block increase the chances of CloverWorks being the studio, but that's about it.

I would love to see Bones, but I don't think the chances are very high.

CloverWorks wouldn't be the worst option out there, but I am very worried that they would disappoint in one way or another.