Discussion Your Favorite Manhwa & Manhua

Discussion in 'Manhwa and Manhua Cafe' started by thornofcarrion, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Jammin

Jammin Androssi Worshiper

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member

Mangahelper

United States
    Re: Your Favorite Manhwa

Right now my favorite ongoing Manhwa have fallen into a pretty firm top 5.

Top 5

• Tower of God
    • Noblesse
    • The Breaker: New Waves
    • Magician
    • Divine Bells

My favorites are always those five in some order or other, depending a lot on whats going on in the series at the time (right now I'd probably put Magician on top). I like quite a few more series than that but for various reasons those don't really compete with the top five.

Still great but slightly lower tier

• Ability
    • XO Sisters
    • Girls of the Wilds
    • The God of High School
    • The Legend of Maian
    • Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private Highschool
    • ID

I put ID in the second teir just because it's scanlation rate hurts it a lot. I have a hard time really immersing myself in a series that only seems to come out once a year. Even like that series a great deal.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  2. Charlie

Charlie Enlightend Carlito's Hadouken Mode '+'

United States
    Re: What's your favorite Manhua?

This is also a manhwa (Korean comic)

3. Mazino

Mazino Registered User

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member

Croatia

City of Darkness,it has everything,great story/plot(s),great fights and i like the art

4. perspherspley

perspherspley Registered User

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member

Philippines

I can say that these three are my favourite manhwa/webtoon:
    Noblesse
    The Breaker Series
    Tower of God

5. Lasix

Lasix Registered User

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner

Germany

My favourite two are Tower of God and One Piece
    To mention some that more or less surprised me and i really enjoy reading:
    - Magician
    - Kubera
    - Rakshasa Street
    - Ability
    - Flow
    - Akame
    - City of dead sorcerer

Hope you enjoy them and looking forward to your recommendations :)

6. 4gh4st

4gh4st Registered User

Mexico

For me my favorite manwhas have to be jack frost and march story (they're pretty new I guess? but jack frost has been around for awhile and is sort of ignored and not popular most of the time).

I'm so glad I found this forum! Was searching through and through for a forum that appreciated the existence of manwha this is like heaven for me <3

7. Cloudyrain

Cloudyrain Registered User

Saudi Arabia

My Favorite TOP Manhwa ::
    Kubera :zomg * YUTA* >////<
    NOBLESSE :hip

...planning to read [ Tower of god , the breaker , the gamer] :derp

Jammin likes this.
  8. ProGoddess

ProGoddess MH Senpai

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity

Water Tribe

I used to read 老夫子 (Lao Fu Zi) since I was a kid too. There were some other characters that always appeared together with him. Lao Fu Zi also had a girlfriend and his date with her was always a failure. Well, so were his two other friends. They got a lot of "slaps" from girls all the time. It was very funny. :teehee Hmm.. It may be hard to find these comics anymore. They must be considered as "collectors' items" now.

The current manhua I have been reading are 1/2 Prince and The Legend of Sun Knight. They are adapted from light novels of the same author. I have read the novels and they are very well written. The artwork in the manga is very well drawn as well. The stories are coupled with good sense of humour and creativity. I have enjoyed very much. :hee

Lao Fu Zi (the old man) and his friends
    [​IMG]

9. jasna

jasna Registered User

United States

my favorite korean manhwa is Cheese in the Trap

the link is original Korean though. it's "serialized" in the same place where Tower of God and Noblesse are serializing (Naver), and it's currently one of their most popular series (used to be among top 3 i think; it has come down now slightly though since it's #2 among Thursday comics)

i don't think nobody's translating this though since i haven't seen this anywhere. the genre is kinda like 'thriller-romance (shoujo in manga terms)" as fans dubbed it :p it's about a guy and girl in college getting to know each other slowly but there's always this eery atmosphere going on about the guy that girl feels uneasy/suspicious about

Last edited: May 29, 2014
    Charlie likes this.
  10. scav

scav MH's Most Passionate Member

The Wall
    Battle through the heavens topped everything for me even ToG

Charlie likes this.
  11. seesawmargerydaw

seesawmargerydaw Registered User

Philippines
    Gotta be Hellper for me.

The mix of comedy (well, its comedy is kinda weird but heck it makes me laugh) and action-ish part makes me like this one.

12. Kamui

Kamui Registered User

United States
    I really enjoy Tower of God, I'd recommend it to almost anyone, although it can be a bit hard to follow sometimes with the introduction of many relevant and irrelevant characters, but still a good read overall as long as you can keep up.

13. Yegon Derrick

Yegon Derrick Registered User

Kenya
    My favourite manhua(not so sure about the difference with manhwa) is, Feng shen ji, hands down. surprised why nobody is saying it.
    the rest follow at a distance behind
    T.O.G.
    Noblesse
    Doupo Cangqiong
    Doulou Dalu

14. Huo Yuhao

Huo Yuhao Registered User

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member

Gotei 13
    My absolute favorite manhua would have to be Douluo Dalu series (the 2nd series is my overall fav of the trilogy) while ToG is my fav. for manwha.

For those that read DD manhua, I'll recommend you to try out the light novel, it's much better imho. It has a lot more details, finished product, and leaves more room for imagination. Ofc, read the manhua first to get a solid image of the characters in your head.

15. Clockworkerr0r

Clockworkerr0r Registered User

United States
    Currently I'm really into Freak-Quency, Moonlight Garden and Scent of a Witch.
    Freak-Quency is a action manhwa that's set in a world where a popular RPG has been banned because a large number of its players have gone missing. Now elements from the game have transferred to the real world (bringing all the dangers of the game with them), and players meet up in secret to play. The MC of this series discovers that her brother is one of the people who have gone missing, and now she has to take his place in the game and begin playing in order to find out what happened to him.
    Moonlight Garden is a gl/yuri series that's set in a world where some women are born as 'flower maidens', a different type of human that takes on characteristics of a specific flower. These women live in a secluded area called the Moonlight Garden where they're allowed to live peacefully in exchange for entertaining the noblewomen of the country. The flower maiden's lives are not entirely pleasant though, they all die before age 30 and go through intense pains each month. The MC of the series is using her talents as a potion maker to try and find an antidote so that she can stop herself from transforming completely into a flower maiden, and so that she can help save her best friend from dying. It's definitely one of the more interesting yuri series that I've read.
    Scent of a Witch is a bl/yaoi series set in a fantasy world overrun by witches. One of the MCs is a prince of the kingdom of Yarke, the kingdom that keeps losing soldiers at the hands of the witches from a nearby village. He decides to go seek out the village and see if he can figure out what's been happening to his men. He then meets the other MC who's a warlock that transforms into a woman on the night of full moons. For the first part of the series, the two MCs only interact when the warlock has transformed, which I thought was an interesting choice for a yaoi manga. It's a pretty interesting series, but it does have a lot of graphic content and some disturbing scenes.

Charlie likes this.
  16. Jammin

Jammin Androssi Worshiper

Mangahelper

United States
    These days my favorites are
    • Tower of God
    • Noblesse
    • The Breaker (It's not dead!)
    • 4 Cut Hero
    • The Gamer
    Those are the ones a follow relatively closely. There are a bunch of others I check out once in a while but don't read week to week.

Charlie likes this.
  17. Nonis

Nonis Registered User

Malta
    Ayeshah's secret
    the art is beautiful, everything was drawn beautifully from the background to the characters each page has details and well-drawn, and then there's the story it may be short but it's amazing and the dark elements in the plot were great, i also enjoed the psychological stuff.

18. Angie7

Angie7 Registered User

Fun Forum
    Boyfriend Of The Dead. Funniest zombie-related story I've ever read. And I usually don't even like romance all that much. But this one manages to keep the cheesy stuff at bay, and handles it all really well. It helps when the main characters are really unique and quirky.

Mention-worthy:
    - The children's teacher mr. Kwon: very heartwarming and funny
    - Yongbi the invincible: well-designed fights and good comedy to lighten things up every now and then. Also interesting to learn more about the Korean martial hierarchy (with the white and black sects and yadda yadda).
    - The Scholar's reincarnation: nice slice-of-life with a good chunk of action performed by a rather wise main character. being wise in the way he's obviously already lived a previous life, hence experienced in both battle prowess and life experience/politics, and smart due to taking the path of a scholar in his new life. The story is more slow-paced 'though.

19. jirachi85

jirachi85 Registered User

Water Tribe
    Was reading this thread for rec but I'm shook Cheese in the trap was only mentioned once!

[Cheese in the Trap] webtoon by Soonki. Hong Sul a third year hard working top of her class college student in the business major. The story starts with a disgruntled looking sul declaring to her bosom buddies Bora and Eun Taek how she's going to take a leave of absence, again, her second one since starting college. this leads to comedic exchange over noona's locker before paddling back for farther questioning, as for the circumstances...The story switches between timelines a lot between sul's second year and her current third year but you get used to it. the characters are all fun and lovable plus very expressive. one of its kind shoujo suspense, I guess josei since the protagonist in college. Anywho,

Genre: Slice of life, mystery, romance- in that order
    Can be read:
    A] Naver offcial site (Eng) https://www.webtoons.com/en/romance/cheese-in-the-trap/list?title_no=99&page=22
    B] Oddsquad (Eng) http://www.oddsquad.org/p/cheese-in-trap.html <<<< Recommended (layered over translation with soonki approval)

Sadly neither translation complete but you can find eng if you dig around or read the Japanese one:
    https://xoy.webtoons.com/ja/drama/randomphilia/list?title_no=768

Will soon get a Japanese physical release and the cover art is better than the korean one!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Brandish and Demonspeed like this.
  20. Mythoclast

Mythoclast Registered User

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member

Antarctica
    The God of Highschool.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.