Favorites - Your Favourite Shoujo Manga | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Favorites Your Favourite Shoujo Manga

kaze950

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Angel Sanctuary is the only one I read....it counts, right?

I like it because it has a good story, and I'm interested in the study of Angels and Demons, Kabbalah, and all that junk.

Aequis

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have to add Fruits Basket to my list (I can't believe I forgot it :O) It's such a sweet story :)

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
I tried Fruit Baskets, but unfortunately I just couldn't get into it. I'm just not a big fan of the art, I think. For romance-themed stories, I think I would much enjoy an art style such as Masakazu Katsura ( I"s ) or Takeshi Obata ( Hikaru no Go, Death Note ) better for such tales. But they're Shonen artists...

Verena

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Furuba (Fruits Basket) was probably my first shoujo manga, most others I find boring. Apart Vamipre Knight which is quite knew, but full of bishis ^__________________^

Tanuki-dono

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Fruits Basket is beloved by many. But I only read a volume or two. I'm sorry, but the main character Tohru and I just didn't click. I can't really sympathize with her, and I'm not sure exactly why. I mean, I understand her sadness, etc, but she's just...I don't know. <s>She doesn't feel real to me?</s> In most series, I have to at least respect/empathize with the main character or characters so I'm able to follow along on the journey. It's also why I have trouble reading anything by Yuu Watase. Ah, well. Sometimes, things just don't fit.

Still, I do respect the series for its (seemingly) complex family relationships. (I'm not entirely sure, because I haven't read very far.) Kyo was a neat character, but other than that, the fleeting like I had for it was superficial at best. My little sister loves the series, but she's able to delve into it more for some reason. :) And about the art - it's not the simplistic nature that bothered me, exactly - its more like the style of face was unable to convery strong emotion at times(for me, at least). I guess that means I'm unimaginative at heart?

Gold Knight

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Abu Dhabi
Tanuki-dono said:
Fruits Basket is beloved by many. But I only read a volume or two. I'm sorry, but the main character Tohru and I just didn't click. I can't really sympathize with her, and I'm not sure exactly why. I mean, I understand her sadness, etc, but she's just...I don't know. <s>She doesn't feel real to me?</s> In most series, I have to at least respect/empathize with the main character or characters so I'm able to follow along on the journey. It's also why I have trouble reading anything by Yuu Watase. Ah, well. Sometimes, things just don't fit.
Same here.

The only Shoujo title I've been able to get into so far is Nana. And so far it hasn't bothered me at all about the angst in it, either. But I think it appeals to me because it does feel "real."

rodnylee

Reaction score
hmm well i've gotta say--Hot Gimmick is my favorite (and only) shoujo manga. gotta say, what first attracted me to it was the covers. arts great, and so is the story, but it gets REALLY complicated towards the end. so thats my two cents.

svart_lotus

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Maria-sama ga miteru... simply the best there is. Soon the OVA will be released, and then its "sob fest" again :D

Raine_Joybringer

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Australia
I really like a manga called 'Kamichama Karin'. I started collecting it not too long ago. It's got an adorable art style and some really nice characters that are likeable straight from the beggining. I'm pretty sure I should classify it as a Magical Girl series, since the story revolves around a bunch of rings where a person is able to borrow the power of the gods. The main character, Karin, is adorable and says some stupid but cute things like 'I am god!!' whenever she transforms.

choucha0308

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
France
Fruits Basket is beloved by many
Certainly and I'm one of them ! (don't really know why guys like this shoujo, maybe because the anime was popular and we are too lazy to read manga with a lot of...words :smile-big)

Does anyone know if Eternal blue drop the project ???? (I hope not, they are the only group on it)

shizoko

Reaction score
i like azumanga daioh, if its shoujo, but i'm not sure.
i'm readind seinen most of time.

Miso

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Can you tell me more about it? I know lots of Shoujo series but I've never heard of this one.

hyde-chan

Reaction score
Sailormoon is my vote.. The very first one I love.. oh my.. those where the days when I spent all my allowance just to be able to buy cds, stickers, pictures, cards, mangas (In any language I dont even understand)... hahahah... And years later, I still have them all... :)
Nothing will ever change Sailormoon's #1 spot for me :) It's a classic.. It started everything.
I wasn't able to read the mange of Pls Save my Earth, only the anime, but I really love that 6 ep anime (or was it 5?).. Yuu Watase's Fushiigi and Ayashii no Ceres have good art but I must agree that I really hate some of the plot of the story, but still I read them (of course).. I love most of Clamp's manga too.. right now, the only shoujo i'm reading is Furuba, but it seems that there are twists of plot at the later part and I don't really like the storyline now... I like Yuki, and I hate it when it's so obvious in the manga that the story was suddenly leaning to Tohru-Kyo pairing. I'm not against that but puhleeasse, why use another girl for Yuki? It's not necessary!

admirenkiwi

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
My favorite Is Skip Beat or Tokyo Crazy Paradise!
These two are really cool!!
Skip Beats more of the REALLY COOL Romantic one and its hilarious at that!!
Tokyo Crazy Paradise is in the future yakuza thing and the main character knows how to kick ass and the other is the boss of the yakuza himself!!
Girl Got Game is One funny manga!!!! I love this one too!! Continuing on to Heaven!! of course.
From Far Away is Really good in the Romance and History and story line. About Destiny and all.
Really, I have many more but its just not coming out of my brain right now >_<

Miso

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Both series are very nice, I agree. Aren't they both from the same author?
I love how funny they are and the stories is really nice.
I can really recommend those two.

admirenkiwi

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know, yeah their from the same aurthor. I read from another site that said from another person that she didnt like the drawing and I was like "What is she talking about, this drawing is tight!" I think so very much. :)
Does anybody know some good shoujo mangas where you dont hate the girls in it?
if so can you recommend it to me?
Ones that are cool like Girl got Game or so?
something active and cool drawing too!
sorry for asking too much >_<

luca6066

Translator
Reaction score
i love Kodomo no Omocha ( Kodocha ) dealing with child abuse, depression, suffering from so called doll-disease, kinda depression...."exam hell pressure" really hard problems for kids...... but that makes the story awesome.
Also I loved "Akazukin chacha" ( a story about witch and wizardry's school life based off on Little Red riding hood. pretty much jokes involved, it sadly had a "character-shrinking" problem", but still protagonists are so cute and attractive.
Gokinjo monogatari, by Yazawa Ai, both anime and manga )
(I thought, One of the scenes cut in before CM, where Mikako's Berry chan(?)statue dissolves into Tsutomu monkey statue was grotesque though)
I just love how Yazawa incorporates real pictures into backgrounds, they are just beautiful.
Also
Tokimeki Tonight!
Miracle girls (psychic twins)
Tenshi nanka jyanai ( again, Yazawa)
what else...
Koji koji ( loosely falls into syoujyo manga, but characters are not even human, anyway it's sooooooooo funny. "surreal jokes" which are not of the kind that makes you lol instantly, but will haunt in your head forever. By Sakura Momoko )

-cyl-roxx

Reaction score
i love azumanga daioh, its so funny, and if you watch the cd's maybe you will laugh a lot huahuahua....
next is gakuen alice, its a comedy its funny , romance, comedy... and i also wanna know about natsume past!! so interesting!!! :amuse

cheh

Reaction score
Country
United States
WTF! no one beats Fushigi Yuugi 8D

admirenkiwi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fushigi is NOT the best.
I really dislike that movie more than any other anime.
The girls in there just piss me off.
especially the main character.
No matter how many times I watch it, I quit.
Just the sight of its name makes me IRRITATED!
Even Sailor Moon Gets a million stars better than that.
Well, thats just for some people, but I dislike it.
(just using sailor moon as an example)