Movies The Movie Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollow Kurono

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2007
Messages
2,067
Reaction score
64
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Saw Role Models well I was expecting laughts and laughts from this movie,but I had a couple,tho it wasnt that funny,it was a nice,good movie I could say,I enjoyed it.

Punisher:War Zone well I dont know if it was better,it wasnt that fun,I loved the action scenes,it was fun,I liked those psycho brothers,still it wasnt that good.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Mickey Rourke didn't win an Oscar... Booo. The Academy loves Sean Penn, we know that, but while he did give us an Oscar-worthy performance (if it had been any other year, that is) Mickey Rourke was even more deserving of it. I loved what he said at the end of the speech though. Mickey Rourke rises again.
 

nat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
3,979
Reaction score
2,132
Gender
Female
Country
Bermuda
Rewatched "American History X" earlier this week. No doubt in my mind, the best movie ever made. Loving the message of the movie for those who have watched it. And for those who haven't seen the movie go watch it :p


I heard a lot about it and thought it was exaggerated but when I saw it....I was simply blown away.
Very powerful story, acting and emotion. A masterpiece.



Moving on to another favorite yet completely different genre....Lol
I saw Underworld 3 yesterday, freaking brilliant. I must say I loved it more than the first two. I liked Lucian and Sonia much more than Selene and what's his face...Much more believable and sympathetic.

that said, the acting was excellent...Scenes, cloths and armors were amazing And Victor was divine (as always).
Definitely recommend it.
 
Last edited:

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
I'm actually quite reluctant to see any more underworld films after watching the first one. I mean it was cool and all, up to the ending. shit.
 

nat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 13, 2008
Messages
3,979
Reaction score
2,132
Gender
Female
Country
Bermuda
Yeah I know what you mean...The whole first movie was excellent but ending was.....Less than stellar.

Though the third one has a decent/good ending. I still think the third is the best of the series. :)
 

Baron Hugenstein

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2008
Messages
2,331
Reaction score
618
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
How ironic:p
I watched Underworld 3 today, and yeah I agree 100%: the third movie was the best in the series.
The first one had great plot but crappy crappy ending(they killed Victor, damn bastards).
The second one, well it was that dumbass Michael against the amazing William....

The third one was best, because there was no OMGPOWERFULYETSTUPIDANDLOST main hero(Michael or Celene). but the characters were balanced and more believable.
 

redcometfm

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2008
Messages
712
Reaction score
51
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
dragonball comes out in a month :p
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
dragonball comes out in a month :p
No. Shit. Please, spare me.

The worst thing about that god damn movie is that I have hated it since I first heard it was in the making, but I'm going to see it all the more for that. It seems like such an unbelievably horrible pile of feces of an insult to Akira Toriyama, but I just can't have hated it of all my heart for so long and not watch it. They'll probably make a few million off of people who share the same feelings as I, as well. Pigs. :notrust

I'm rather thrilled about Watchmen coming out in ten days (in Sweden), though. We've had a couple of really good "comic book movies" these last couple of years, so I'm hoping for another one. The graphic novel is certainly one of the best I've read and the trailer is looking more awesome everytime I watch it. *all hyped up* :gigglebunny
 

warbandit66

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 28, 2007
Messages
2,768
Reaction score
886
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
dragonball comes out in a month :p
I can't convince anyone to see that movie with me, I know wholeheartedly that the movie will be a complete and utter shambles but I still want to go and see it, just to see how bad it is for myself.
 

Baron Hugenstein

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 6, 2008
Messages
2,331
Reaction score
618
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I can't convince anyone to see that movie with me, I know wholeheartedly that the movie will be a complete and utter shambles but I still want to go and see it, just to see how bad it is for myself.
Well, no matter how bad it gets, It can't go below DBGT.
I still remember the uselessness of that saga/chapter/era....shivers
 
Last edited:

predsfan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
843
Reaction score
121
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I can't convince anyone to see that movie with me, I know wholeheartedly that the movie will be a complete and utter shambles but I still want to go and see it, just to see how bad it is for myself.
Of course it will. I didn't think so until I saw the preview, but gd, it's going to be terrible. I mean, no f'ing Krillon? He was my favorite character. Blashpemy :yelling!
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
well finally watchmen comes out 2moro, i'm gonna go see that...hope its as good as i've been buildin i up in my head. I haven't read any of the comics so i don't realli know what to expect.
 

redcometfm

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2008
Messages
712
Reaction score
51
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Honestly, theres really not much else coming out anytime soon after Watchmen. There's like one exciting movie a month this summer, a trend which I think ends June. Pretty much nothing big after May. Except maybe Harry Potter.
 

kaliayev

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 13, 2007
Messages
951
Reaction score
89
Gender
Male
Country
United States
well finally watchmen comes out 2moro, i'm gonna go see that...hope its as good as i've been buildin i up in my head. I haven't read any of the comics so i don't realli know what to expect.
Heh, I want to see it in IMAX, but I don't feel like I should pay that much when I already know how everything plays out.
 

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
Watchmen

I'm a very big fan of the Watchmen graphic novel, and I've gotta say that the movie actually did justice to the franchise! Though some scenes were edited out, and a few things were changed, the movie still managed to please and amaze me.

Visual effects/ Cinematography: 10/10
Audio: 9/10
Acting performance: 10/10
Direction: 10/10
Story progression: 9/10
Main plot: 10/10

Reviewers Bias: 10/10 (Fanboy of the graphic novel)

Overall: 9.67

Personal note: 90% of the dialogue and scenes are exactly the same as the in the graphic novel.
 

Ramen4ever

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 7, 2008
Messages
123
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
^
I saw it and it's not the same as the graphic novels. There are major changes, Story elements taken out. The plot is Watchmen stripped down to it's bones. The ending leaves a completely different impression than the graphic novels. Apart from the visual effects the movie had nothing. The actors were decent at best. The music was mostly crap. A major film that can't even get an original soundtrack. The old Night Owl was introduced than forgotten. The news stand guy was barely in the movie, same goes for the psychiatrist and his wife, or the guy who's constantly reading, the lesbians I don't even recall being in there. The cops (two detectives) were at the beginning and then forgotten, etc. The story had no depth and it's partially because of how the minor characters were neglected. Even worse is the way people are trying to save the world and attempting to emphasize how bad the city is. But they cut most of the story that actually shows what the city is like. A few riots and an attempted mugging? lame.

3/5 stars for being a decent stand alone movie that kept me entertained for a while. But it's not Watchmen. It's Zack Snyder's Watchmen.
 

redcometfm

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 12, 2008
Messages
712
Reaction score
51
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
I saw Watchmen and although I thought the graphic novel was really good (not perfect but almost), the movie was just eh. There was TOO MUCH reverence to the graphic novel and Snyder didnt go about it entirely with the thought of making a proper film. I could see what he wanted to do, with slick pacing and transitions between flashbacks and present but he didnt pull it off. And wtf with all the stuff he added?? He bitched about how long it would have to be in running time so he adds an unnecessary extension of certain sequences, particularly the beginning with the comedian. Zack Snyder effing sucks as a director because he has no sense of subtlety because whatever he added on either gave away plot twists later on and lessened the impact of certain events. And the ending was just weak, nowhere near as effective as the GN's original.
I would think a semi-destructed NY with bodies all about and blood and a freaky looking alien squid would really be extremely disorienting and shocking to see, but instead we get a tame mini-nuclear explosion with no sense of the extremity of the event (which is partially to the blame on the actors who dont seem that fazed by it i.e. Dr. M and Silk Spectre II at ground zero). This change totally screwed up with alot of the plot logic and the way its executed generates any lack of care from the audience.

And wtf was he thinking with with the music?! -_-' ('Hallelujah' during the *gratuitous* sex scene, are you kidding??)

Anyway, Ill give Watchmen two things; (1) Many moments of brilliant and beautiful cinematography and (2) Jackey Earle Haley IS Rorschach.
 

Paper

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 3, 2006
Messages
3,814
Reaction score
252
Gender
Male
Country
Earth Kindom
re:Movie- The changes made to the film adaptation were needed to sell the movie. The way I see it, the film adaptation is one of them "like it or hate it" films. The movie's accuracy is actually quite impressive. If the movie stayed true to the comic 100% then only people who've read the comic would understand it, thus making the movie a flop, and wasting billions of dollars worth of production.

The key plots in the comic were integrated into the adaptation, leaving a few major and minor events aside. It actually turned out well; I was actually expecting it to be bad.

re:Lesbians- The lesbians were actually a reference to Hooded Justice and the other guy being gay (mentioned in the graphic novel, but not fully explained). Lesbians are easier to sell on film than their male counterparts.

re:Soundtrack- Some times having your own original score isn't the best way to go. The songs used in the film were supposed to incite certain emotions within the audience (i.e. All along the watchtower). I actually have mixed feelings about not having your own score, but in the end, it all boils down on how well they mix it in with the cinematography.
 
Last edited:

Ramen4ever

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 7, 2008
Messages
123
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
re:Movie- The changes made to the film adaptation were needed to sell the movie. The way I see it, the film adaptation is one of them "like it or hate it" films. The movie's accuracy is actually quite impressive. If the movie stayed true to the comic 100% then only people who've read the comic would understand it, thus making the movie a flop, and wasting billions of dollars worth of production.

The key plots in the comic were integrated into the adaptation, leaving a few major and minor events aside. It actually turned out well; I was actually expecting it to be bad.

re:Lesbians- The lesbians were actually a reference to Hooded Justice and the other guy being gay (mentioned in the graphic novel, but not fully explained). Lesbians are easier to sell on film than their male counterparts.

re:Soundtrack- Some times having your own original score isn't the best way to go. The songs used in the film were supposed to incite certain emotions within the audience (i.e. All along the watchtower). I actually have mixed feelings about not having your own score, but in the end, it all boils down on how well they mix it in with the cinematography.
The changes were terrible imo, They certainly didn't help the movie. The graphic novel was successful the way it was, why change something that already works. Some cuts are acceptable but flipping major plot elements upside down are not.
The soundtrack did get an emotional response from me, "WTF is this shit" The moment I heard 99 luftballoons or whatever that stupid song is called. And as redcometfm said the song during that sex scene. What was that all about. Then they played Die Walküre by Wagner during the Vietnam conflict. What was that, a tribute to apocalypse now? The only songs that I thought fit well was the song during the Comedian's F*******

Anyway there's a Sherlock Holmes movie coming out this year with Robert Downey Jr and Jude Law. Might be interesting.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top