- Joined
- Jan 19, 2008
- Messages
- 1,452
- Reaction score
- 294
- Gender
- Male
- Country
-
Osu! For those of you who don't know me, I'm StrangerAtaru (also known as just "Ataru" or "StrangerAtaru" or "SA" or "that weirdo guy obsessed with Jump and...um...". For those who do know me, nice to see all of you. I have no idea why I'm doing this but I decided to make a thread here to gather my thoughts, my translations, my ambitions...and probably just to make a bit idiot of myself. I have a few other things I do on the web aside from translating...they should be easy to find but trust me: you don't want to know.
I guess I could go on and on but I'll just leave with a few particular notes you may want to know before anyone can contact me on whatever they want:
*I officially have 3.5 years of Japanese training in college...wait, back up. Actually I first started listening to Japanese proper in HS watching subbed anime on VHS and International Channel's Japanese block in '96-'97 and dreaming dreams of moving to Japan and being a writer...yeah, it didn't go that way.
*Before you ask...no, I've never been to Japan...but I have been to the Mitsuwa in Edgewater, NJ quite a few times. (let alone several Japanese bookstores in NY, the Mitsuwa in Arlington Heights, IL and Japan Centre in Piccadilly Circus in London) I freeze in my Japanese every time I go to one of them though.
*I have means to translate both from my own knowledge and dictionary stuff...I will try to make it the best that I can but don't expect it to be perfect grammar or English.
*I guess this is the part you probably want to hear: my translation specs. I actually started translating while still in college when I decided to attempt to do my own personal copy of "Jigoku Sensei Nube" (Hell Teacher Nube)...I got through 9 volumes before getting too distracted and frustrated to go on. (still have the translations and really do want to try the series again but I don't know if or when) I tried a couple translation groups (and actually did one of the Eiichiro Oda one-shots in one), but always felt the last person to know anything so I never stayed long. I actually got back into the swing of things in April '08 when I just decided on a whim to start doing "Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo" due to how far behind it was in the states...and how Viz was not helping matters. Currently I do freelance work with translations, mostly with Jump series: aside from finishing Bo-bobo, I did the really short Sawai series "Chagecha" and I'm currently working simultaneously on Kinnikuman and Cyborg Jii-chan G...as well as side work on a friend's "Konjiki no Gash!" project and trying to coax myself to start "Shinsetsu Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo".
What I will do (or contemplate on doing):
-Weekly Shonen Jump...sort of. Essentially, considering all of the modern series seem rather booked in what and who's doing them, I'm trying to fill in the blanks of history by doing some older series that no one knows or have little representation in English. I have a couple ideas for series I really want to do after I finish a share of Kinnikuman or Jii-chan G...but you are going to have to talk with me if you have any ideas and direct me to scans. And if anyone really, really wants me to do a new series...yeah, I sort of want to look it over first and see if anyone else is doing it instead.
-Any other shonen anthology with a story that interests me. Both Magazine and Sunday have interesting series and there are many holes in them too...and I sort of want to use that excuse to read certain series.
-A good seinen: though I don't read them, I have seen some really good seinen concepts out there and I wouldn't mind trying or diving in...but don't come up to me with "Berserk" or "Gantz": I have really no interest in either. (though if no one has done them, I wouldn't mind trying Airmaster or 81 Diver...or something)
-Most importantly: the series has to perk my eye and make me interested. If I'm not interested, I really won't want to translate it.
What I won't do:
-Naruto or Bleach: too many other people do them and I have no interest aside from watching train wrecks.
(not including One Piece...mostly since I love that series but so many other people do it better and faster than the time I would get to them)
-Shoujo or Josei: I know there are many good stories in them but I rather watch them as anime. I have bad memories of reading shoujo and I just can't do it...trust me.
-Man-love...eww. (I know my sexuality and this isn't it...not that there's anything wrong with that)
-Series that don't interest me: if you show me something that you may love and I can't see anything that would bring me to do it, I probably will courteously reject.
Outside that, the floor is yours.
I guess I could go on and on but I'll just leave with a few particular notes you may want to know before anyone can contact me on whatever they want:
*I officially have 3.5 years of Japanese training in college...wait, back up. Actually I first started listening to Japanese proper in HS watching subbed anime on VHS and International Channel's Japanese block in '96-'97 and dreaming dreams of moving to Japan and being a writer...yeah, it didn't go that way.
*Before you ask...no, I've never been to Japan...but I have been to the Mitsuwa in Edgewater, NJ quite a few times. (let alone several Japanese bookstores in NY, the Mitsuwa in Arlington Heights, IL and Japan Centre in Piccadilly Circus in London) I freeze in my Japanese every time I go to one of them though.
*I have means to translate both from my own knowledge and dictionary stuff...I will try to make it the best that I can but don't expect it to be perfect grammar or English.
*I guess this is the part you probably want to hear: my translation specs. I actually started translating while still in college when I decided to attempt to do my own personal copy of "Jigoku Sensei Nube" (Hell Teacher Nube)...I got through 9 volumes before getting too distracted and frustrated to go on. (still have the translations and really do want to try the series again but I don't know if or when) I tried a couple translation groups (and actually did one of the Eiichiro Oda one-shots in one), but always felt the last person to know anything so I never stayed long. I actually got back into the swing of things in April '08 when I just decided on a whim to start doing "Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo" due to how far behind it was in the states...and how Viz was not helping matters. Currently I do freelance work with translations, mostly with Jump series: aside from finishing Bo-bobo, I did the really short Sawai series "Chagecha" and I'm currently working simultaneously on Kinnikuman and Cyborg Jii-chan G...as well as side work on a friend's "Konjiki no Gash!" project and trying to coax myself to start "Shinsetsu Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo".
What I will do (or contemplate on doing):
-Weekly Shonen Jump...sort of. Essentially, considering all of the modern series seem rather booked in what and who's doing them, I'm trying to fill in the blanks of history by doing some older series that no one knows or have little representation in English. I have a couple ideas for series I really want to do after I finish a share of Kinnikuman or Jii-chan G...but you are going to have to talk with me if you have any ideas and direct me to scans. And if anyone really, really wants me to do a new series...yeah, I sort of want to look it over first and see if anyone else is doing it instead.
-Any other shonen anthology with a story that interests me. Both Magazine and Sunday have interesting series and there are many holes in them too...and I sort of want to use that excuse to read certain series.
-A good seinen: though I don't read them, I have seen some really good seinen concepts out there and I wouldn't mind trying or diving in...but don't come up to me with "Berserk" or "Gantz": I have really no interest in either. (though if no one has done them, I wouldn't mind trying Airmaster or 81 Diver...or something)
-Most importantly: the series has to perk my eye and make me interested. If I'm not interested, I really won't want to translate it.
What I won't do:
-Naruto or Bleach: too many other people do them and I have no interest aside from watching train wrecks.
(not including One Piece...mostly since I love that series but so many other people do it better and faster than the time I would get to them)-Shoujo or Josei: I know there are many good stories in them but I rather watch them as anime. I have bad memories of reading shoujo and I just can't do it...trust me.
-Man-love...eww. (I know my sexuality and this isn't it...not that there's anything wrong with that)
-Series that don't interest me: if you show me something that you may love and I can't see anything that would bring me to do it, I probably will courteously reject.
Outside that, the floor is yours.
XD

