Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

And how much have those boosted sales now ;)

Then again they do cost a lot more money.
A 30k chunck still makes some difference :p
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Seems Gintama has a character poll result? Cool...

It's nice to see those TOC and read the contents once in a while. Some authors talking about their animes and stuff...
Not only does Gintama have the results of it's poll, but the spoilers seem to indicate that the lesson is about how some characters aren't too happy with their ranking, and plan on usurping the rankings from more popular characters. So Sorachi's actually taken the poll and used it in the series cannon. Do we need any more proof of his epicness? Do we? I think not.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Ouch! Is it just me, or are these sales figures quite bad?

D.Gray-man actually used to sell more, if I recall correctly.
No it's just you. DGM 18 is selling as well as ever. I'm not sure where your getting this from <_<

Bomber D Rufi said:
Do we need any more proof of his epicness? Do we? I think not.
Hata beat him to it.

Finestela said:
A 30k chunck still makes some difference :p
Not sure, I can't count that high :p
 

pandaaqueen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2008
Messages
1,235
Reaction score
1,363
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

D.Gray-man volume 17 sold about 440,000 copies after week 2. :-O

So the most recent volume isn't doing as well as its predecessor.
 

andrewsungchehau

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2009
Messages
379
Reaction score
62
Gender
Male
Country
Brunei
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

D.Gray-man volume 17 sold about 440,000 copies after week 2. :-O

So the most recent volume isn't doing as well as its predecessor.
But it's almost 400,000 copies so its still quite good, although not as good as vol 17 IMO.
We'll just wait and see how the next 2 weeks sales results.
 
Last edited:

pandaaqueen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2008
Messages
1,235
Reaction score
1,363
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

If I were an author/artist, however, I'd be quite negatively surprised after learning that my latest volume has sold circa 50,000 issues less. X'D; That's just me, though!
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Hata beat him to it.
Yeah but Sorachi's been kind of mentioning the polls in Gintama before this. Besides, the lesson title seems to outright say what he thinks of Character polling.

二百六十五訓 人気投票なんか糞くらえ
Lesson 265: Things like Character polls are bullshit.

I'm not sure If I'm reading things correctly, but I even think that he's (Sorachi) involved in the lesson somehow. (As in, he plays a major role himself, probably the first time he does in Gintama?) :-P Guess we'll see on Friday.
 
Last edited:

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Boo @ story spoilers :p (I'm just teasing, but some people here might not want to know about stories that's in the upcoming chapter :))




Regarding DGM's latest sales... Let's not jump into conclusions that fast ;)
I mean for a semi-long running series like this, until it goes the way of Negima, which actually lost about 100k copies per volume since its peak (while Hayate stayed about the same), it's not something to freak out just because one tank volume sold less.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Boo @ story spoilers :p (I'm just teasing, but some people here might not want to know about stories that's in the upcoming chapter :))

<hr noshade size="1">

Regarding DGM's latest sales... Let's not jump into conclusions that fast ;)
I mean for a semi-long running series like this, until it goes the way of Negima, which actually lost about 100k copies per volume since its peak (while Hayate stayed about the same), it's not something to freak out just because one tank volume sold less.
Ah sorry ^^;;; It's just that Gintama's so dead outside of my translations that I figured no one would really mind if I talked about the spoilers I found. If anyone is bothered by them I'll gladly take them down.
 

Symbolic Zero

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 16, 2009
Messages
17
Reaction score
13
Gender
Female
Country
Hong Kong
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Regarding DGM's latest sales... Let's not jump into conclusions that fast ;)
I mean for a semi-long running series like this, until it goes the way of Negima, which actually lost about 100k copies per volume since its peak (while Hayate stayed about the same), it's not something to freak out just because one tank volume sold less.
Agree :amuse

even last Bleach vol didn't sale as usual...
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Ultimate Chaser. A racing manga, huh.

Never seen one of those before, are there RAWs out yet?
Jumpwise there is "Circuit no Ookami"...there is probably "Yoroshiku Mechadoc" but that was probably just about cars. And of course there are other series out there like Initial D or My Favorite Carerra and such.

(heh...yeah, my thousandth post is about Jump history...)
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Ah sorry ^^;;; It's just that Gintama's so dead outside of my translations that I figured no one would really mind if I talked about the spoilers I found. If anyone is bothered by them I'll gladly take them down.
Tagging it would be enough :p
I personally don't mind about it actually, but someone else might ;)
 

pandaaqueen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2008
Messages
1,235
Reaction score
1,363
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Regarding DGM's latest sales... Let's not jump into conclusions that fast ;)
I mean for a semi-long running series like this, until it goes the way of Negima, which actually lost about 100k copies per volume since its peak (while Hayate stayed about the same), it's not something to freak out just because one tank volume sold less.
I'd never freak out because of something like that. :lmao! Actually, I've already stopped reading it for quite some time now. I'm incredibly unpatient, so waiting months for a new chapter is just horrible for me. I guess I'll never start reading it again, nevertheless, Hoshino-sensei is a great person and I don't really want her to be unsuccessful.

Those super duper long breaks are just somewhat risky. There are more than enough people who would stop reading a manga because they can't stand such hiatuses. And this would certainly affect the sales figures for the respective Tankōbons. ;'/

Anyway! You're right! Let's just wait and see :-D
 
Last edited:

SameOld

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 17, 2009
Messages
167
Reaction score
13
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Is there any info on last week's one-shot (Kuromitsu-sama something)? It seemed interesting from the preview pics that came out just before JG1 started, but so far there hasn't even been raws of it. That sucks, cause Yotsuya was actually quite good and made me want to take a peek at the other one-shots...
 
Last edited:

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Back to the popularity poll. It's actually fairly common for gag manga series to devote a chapter on it. As mentioned, Hayate did that several times (and multiple chapters for the latest one, even). Also, Yuusha-gaku did one as well, and the author even went so far as making a unique format (not just the favorite character poll, but also least favorite character poll, and then subtract away the latter from the former).

Taizou did that as well when the poll result came out... I still remember JoJo's author Araki-sensei won 11th place, while Kujou Joutarou won 9th... rofl... :D:D


Is there any info on last week's one-shot (Kuromitsu-sama something)? It seemed interesting from the preview pics that came out just before JG1 started, but so far there hasn't even been raws of it. That sucks, cause Yotsuya was actually quite good and made me want to take a peek at the other one-shots...
SameOld... you can always PM the two WSJ scanners we have (Heiji and Vic) and ask if they're willing to scan the 1-shot you're interested :)

Although they could be too busy to do it (the 1-shots are, for the most part, 50 pages, and could take up to 1 hour to scan), but there's no harm asking ;)
 
Last edited:

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Ah sorry ^^;;; It's just that Gintama's so dead outside of my translations that I figured no one would really mind if I talked about the spoilers I found. If anyone is bothered by them I'll gladly take them down.
Does this mean I need to get back to work ^^

Fortunately, I'll make my return for chapters with massive amounts of dialog and redraws ;) I'll start with chapter 265, when raws come out, and back track to 263/264 next week. Apparantly Gintama and I were made for each other. Just not in that way.
 
Last edited:

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

One thing I thought I'd mention. Nobody scanned last week's chapter of Inumaru Dashi. I guess they don't care about it much, didn't keep up with doing the gag manga chapters, whoever was doing that.
But I would like to eventually do those so if somebody knows someone who scans in raws, ask them to. 41 would be that one, and 42 is this weeks.

Course I gotta finish some other stuff first before I attempt any of that. Even if the chapters are only 10 pages. And ya know, no one reads it...
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Does anyone knows when the other series in raw will be upload?
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Apparantly the deliveries of Shonen Jump are being delayed due to swine flu... according to Vassili. Or something...
This is since a few weeks ago, so tomorrow.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.2

Does anyone knows when the other series in raw will be upload?
Vic already got his magazine, but because he's working late today, so...
He won't upload the other series until tomorrow.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top