Mag Talk Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Hmm but didn't they announce all 3 new series at once last year? I'm kind of doubting a new one will start. Especially in 53 since the One Piece Chapter 0 thing seems to be the main focus of it all. Looks like it would take away from whatever is coming in.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

The new chapters could be separated. The two we know plus one or two more in December or January. Besides, the preview for issue 53 has not come out yet. We didn't get the news that Kagijin was ending until today, it's possible if a new series is starting in issue 53 or 1 that the news won't come until next weeks bottom 5 comes out.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I think jump needs to expirement with new series in the way they aren't action ones. There's too many action series. Akaboshi, Kagijin, Bokke,... are all victims. Eventually there's enough action series at this moment (one piece, bleach, naruto, reborn, toriko, mago, psyren and - yeah I am starting to count it as one too - beelzebub).

I think bakuman has given an answer for that. Maybe it's time for jump to have a detective serie. That would be refreshing if you ask me
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

lol I've been hoping for a detective series since Nuero ended. Hell, I was kinda hoping for another one before it ended.
 

wingman32x

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Sep 2, 2009
Messages
30
Reaction score
1
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Wow... Ane Doki dropped hard! How can it go from the middle of the mag to last freakin place in only a week? I think this will be temporary, at least I hope...

Kagijin is gone to the surprise of nobody. Although I will say that I thought it didn't deserve as much hate as people were giving it. I kinda liked it.

Medaka improved a little bit, but the big news is that it seems like it's going to survive this round. I'm really happy for it, but I'm not sure if it can improve that much.
 

KuwabaraTheMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 30, 2005
Messages
897
Reaction score
46
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Medaka's survival past this round is more significant in that it gives it time to stay alive while another volume comes out. If that one sees a good increase in sales, it could help keep it safe.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I think jump needs to expirement with new series in the way they aren't action ones. There's too many action series. Akaboshi, Kagijin, Bokke,... are all victims. Eventually there's enough action series at this moment (one piece, bleach, naruto, reborn, toriko, mago, psyren and - yeah I am starting to count it as one too - beelzebub).

I think bakuman has given an answer for that. Maybe it's time for jump to have a detective serie. That would be refreshing if you ask me
That is why I'm excited about Asou's return. A little comedy will be good for the magazine. Considering Yusha he has a knack for weird settings as well. Neko looks to be action but the lighter, Dragonball part 1 type. If it's good that would be a welcome addition. More tournament series are unwelcome at this point. Unless they are plot driven, light on fighting types like Mago and Psyren.
 

Jase

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 28, 2009
Messages
27
Reaction score
10
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I think jump needs to expirement with new series in the way they aren't action ones. There's too many action series. Akaboshi, Kagijin, Bokke,... are all victims. Eventually there's enough action series at this moment (one piece, bleach, naruto, reborn, toriko, mago, psyren and - yeah I am starting to count it as one too - beelzebub).

I think bakuman has given an answer for that. Maybe it's time for jump to have a detective serie. That would be refreshing if you ask me
I can agree with that. I love action series myself, but between One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, Reborn, Psyren, Mago, Toriko, Beelzebub, Jump is really top heavy with action series right now. it's no wonder that new battle mangas like Akaboshi and Kagijin aren't surviving when you look at their competition. Ninjas, pirates, shinigami, yokai...a new action-oriented series would have to have a seriously unique hook to distinguish itself right now. I would have to imagine that it would better serve any new or returning mangakas trying to make it in Jump to go for other kind of mainstream genres right now, which might be why there's some more gag mangas around right now. And yeah, I'd love to see a good detective comic in Jump right now.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Eventually there's enough action series at this moment (one piece, bleach, naruto, reborn, toriko, mago, psyren and - yeah I am starting to count it as one too - beelzebub).
Forgot to mention, I don't really think Beelzebub should be considered in with the aciton series. I've always thought of it like Gintama. More of an action/comedy splice. Currently, its in an arc with lots of action but will probably return with lots of comedy afterwards very similar to what Gintama does.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I think Beelzebub is battle manga. Beelzebub has lots of gag, but it is more focus on action.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Well, when I think battle manga, I think of manga like Bleach or Naruto where the entire plot revolves around battles. Without them, the plot of those manga is pretty much none existent.

Manga like Gintama and I think Beelzebub, tend to focus on halarious situtations in which then the hero fights his way out of with a lot of comedy attached. Bobobo had tons of fights but most wouldn't really label it a battle manga as the main genre. Granted that Beelzebub does have more serious fights, at the moment, it's still half and half.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

I think Beelzebub is battle manga. Beelzebub has lots of gag, but it is more focus on action.
Yanki manga with a supernatural twist describes it better. I was talking about the children of Dragonball which Beelze most definitely is not. It has far more in common with Crows then Toriyama. Since Beelze is a decidedly odd take on delinquent manga even that is a poor description. But that is why I enjoy it so much, Beelze is pretty unique with the potential to become even more original once the Toujou arc ends. Neuro x Crows is still a distinct possibility.
 

Ronin88

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jun 2, 2009
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Country
New Zealand
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Is there any Edited Mangas of hokenshitsu?

Every time i see a manga i want to read and its not scanlated it make me wish i should of payed more attention in my Japanese class. :darn
 

KanouYuuki

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 22, 2009
Messages
134
Reaction score
29
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Hey, guys... I'm thinking of making a one-shot manga for the Shonen Jump contest... And I'm wondering if you know something about this... Wondering if you could answer some of my questions...

Well, let's say you wanna join a manga contest in Jump, but you don't know how to speak Japanese (<< Me.) nor write Japanese; do you have a chance on it being published? Does it have to be Japanese?

Sorry if I'm asking questions here... They didn't really specify whether I should use English or Japanese, so...

Then there's the tones.. Can you just use a pencil or something? Or does it have to be real tones.. Sorry.. My country's pathetic and doesn't sell tones...

Umm.. I'll just put the main questions up:

• Does it have to be Japanese? Or could you use English?

• Does it have to have tones? Or just a pencil is fine?

• Also, can you just print it? Since doing it traditionally is very expensive...

Moderator Notice:
There are professional contests you are looking at. The Tezuka Award is very prestigious, Matsui (Neuro) and Komi Naoshi (Double Arts) were past entrants. Jump Treasure is an important new comers contest as well, just featured as a plot point in Double Arts. So yes: This has to be in Japanese. It has to be toned, of professional, publishable quality.~ Kaiten.Sama
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Xadyu

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
5,316
Reaction score
13,240
Gender
Hidden
Country
Cocos Islands
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

劇場版アニメ「ONE PIECE FILM STRONG WORLD」の入場者プレゼント「ONE PIECE 巻零(ゼロ)」に収録されるエピソード「第0話」が、週刊少年ジャンプ53号(集英社)に掲載されることが決定した。

尾田栄一郎描き下ろしによる「第0話」は、映画と連動したストーリーを展開する「ONE PIECE」の過去の物語。映画「ONE PIECE FILM STRONG WORLD」に登場する伝説の海賊「シキ」の過去が明らかになる模様だ。

また「第0話」のアニメ化も決定。ハウス食品とのコラボキャンペーンでプレゼントされるDVDに収録とのことで、販売などは予定されていない。限定 3000名のみに当たる、入手困難な激レア作品となる。本日11月2日発売の週刊少年ジャンプ49号ではDVDプレゼントの詳細を掲載している。
It seems that the "Chapter 0" of One Piece, which is supposed to run in Issue 53 is the same as the "Volume 0" people are getting when they visit the movie (which is limited).

On other news, that same Chapter/Volume will be animated into an OVA, it's not known if this will be an 1-episode OVA or if it will have multiple episodes.

The rest in the spoiler is about the DVD of the OVA, which will also be limited to 3,000 copies, you have to buy some kind of curry of House Foods and enter the competition through that.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Well this is just awesome then. So this should mean that chapter/volume 0 should be scanned along with that week's regular chapter. Can't wait to read and watch OVA.
 
Last edited:

◆ T.D.A ◆

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Oct 16, 2007
Messages
7,516
Reaction score
6,348
Gender
Hidden
Country
North Korea
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

The top 3 action series, will be here for a few years, so I guess WSJ can take their time in getting a good worthwhile action series in.
 

Koshi_Inaba

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
597
Reaction score
168
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

They don't have to wait, Mago and Toriko are shaping up to be one
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Please continue discussion of One Piece 0 in the One Piece forum. Any further posts will be removed. Thanks.


Out of curiosity, does anyone think there are any current Jump mangaka that can make the transition to seinen? Any that would be particularly well suited? Other than Obata and Ohba there is no one I have a strong feeling would be good. Maybe Sorachi. This could speak to my lack of imagination or the "kiddification" of Jump since the Golden Age. I'm not sure.
 
Last edited:

Jase

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Oct 28, 2009
Messages
27
Reaction score
10
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Out of curiosity, does anyone think there are any current Jump mangaka that can make the transition to seinen? Any that would be particularly well suited? Other than Obata and Ohba there is no one I have a strong feeling would be good. Maybe Sorachi. This could speak to my lack of imagination or the "kiddification" of Jump since the Golden Age. I'm not sure.
Looking at Jump's current lineup, not that many probably. I think that Obata and Ohba could really do a seinen well if they wanted to. Artistically at least, I could see Kubo and Kawashita having seinen mangas that would look the part - for example I don't think the styles of Kishimoto or Oda would look right as seinen. Now as to whether those two could come up with a good seinen story is another matter altogether, though I think they could. Maybe Toshiaki Iwashiro. Maybe.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top