Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kizo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2009
Messages
59
Reaction score
26
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Chapter 15 of Yotsuya comes out in this Monday's Issue #28 of Shonen Jump.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

839 名前: ◆EizHb38XPU [sage] 投稿日:2010/06/14(月) 02:37:16 ID:zNqtBoA50
小ネタ
・29ドベ5四谷、録音、めだか、銀、いぬ
・30巻頭鰤 C銀、めだか、読切 休@
・PSYノベル化
Issue 29 Bottom 5:
Inumaru
Gintama
Medaka Box
Lock On
Yotsuya

Issue 30:
Lead CP: Bleach
CP: Gintama, Medaka, One Shot
Absent: Naruto

Plus Psyren Novelization.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

:bored

So Naruto will be absent after ch.499?
That means we have to wait two weeks for ch.500!D:
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Issue 29 Bottom 5:
Inumaru
Gintama
Medaka Box
Lock On
Yotsuya

Issue 30:
Lead CP: Bleach
CP: Gintama, Medaka, One Shot
Absent: Naruto

Plus Psyren Novelization.
Wait... Psyren's getting a light novel? Awesome! Though I kind of expected a drama CD before a light novel... Oh well, its one step closer to an anime now :D!
 

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
5,153
Reaction score
1,771
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Googlez_kun said:
That means we have to wait two weeks for ch.500!D:
So it means that there will be new volume release methinks xD <usually it happens with Kishi that way xd>
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

I predict that Naruto will get lead CP on Issue 31 for reaching 500 chapters.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Looks like Medaka finally gets its color. Kind of wish it could have built some momentum leading up to it but oh well. I'll look forward to what AA does. Actually I'd have loved if that 13 Party sketch he drew would have been in color.

Now Lock on one ups Yotsuya but is still in a bad spot. At this rate it better hope one of the new manga collapses or it pulls itself up. Though I will be happy to see it go.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

I predict that Naruto will get lead CP on Issue 31 for reaching 500 chapters.
I hope that's true,it would make up for the wait.^^

So it means that there will be new volume release methinks xD <usually it happens with Kishi that way xd>
Why's that?^^
Do you mean that he needs it to make the cover?

I guess he just wants to work on the upcoming chapters and plan out the war and maybe even the end.
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Oh man Gintama and Lock-on on the bottom. Seems like Gintama is yoyoing a lot latelly wich is weird because the recent chapters have been awesome (I'm a fanboy you shouldn't trust my judgement)

Medaka is receiving the Kuroko treatment. Gintama deserves the color (again fanboying)

And I hope kishimoto gives us a great colored spread and a great cover for Naruto's 500th chapter.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Medaka is receiving the Kuroko treatment.
No it is not. If that was the case Medaka would have just as many colors as Kuroko at least. The color is most likely for its anniversary since it debuted Issue #24 2009 and hasn't received anything for lasting a year yet.

Any color it has gotten was because of the vomic being announced or the obligatory beginning colors for new series. Medaka doesn't get the luxury of having Jump trying to prop it up any chance it gets.
 

juUnior

Intl Translator
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 17, 2006
Messages
5,153
Reaction score
1,771
Gender
Male
Country
Poland
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Negative Syndicate said:
I predict that Naruto will get lead CP on Issue 31 for reaching 500 chapters.
Hope it will come true <OP did have colour pages back then at 500, but it was 501/2 if I recall correctly - or sooner, but around the number xd>

Googlez_kun said:
Why's that?^^
Do you mean that he needs it to make the cover?

I guess he just wants to work on the upcoming chapters and plan out the war and maybe even the end.
That also :p But my prediction: in the week which we will have a break from Naruto, there will be a release of volume - tells me intuition xD <there were times before that it was that way, that's why I think it might be this time also - chapters covering 52nd volume are already out for some time>
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Weird week: no OP this week and Naruto gets a week off before big #500. (a few others deserve a week off but they may be harder to accommodate) Not to mention Gintama seeming to slide with action these days (I remember hearing somewhere there is a bit of a rebellion by fans about the action chapters since they want more comedy but that's just fanbase problems) and Medaka finally getting an anniversary color...a week after it's below Lock On and Yotsuya. (though at least Psyren is getting closer to something outside the magazine...)
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Even when Lock On! began to be ranked, it wasn't doing that poorly. Now it's faltering and (unfortunately for me) I wouldn't be surprised if it got cut.

Naruto getting a break off before its 500th anniversary? :blink I guess that's better than having the 500th and then taking a break.

I'm kind of worried for Gintama. It's been in the bottom several times lately.
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

No it is not. If that was the case Medaka would have just as many colors as Kuroko at least. The color is most likely for its anniversary since it debuted Issue #24 2009 and hasn't received anything for lasting a year yet.
Oh yeah that's right Medaka already passed 50 chapters. But I wonder how many chapters will it last I don't think it will last longer than Mx0 maybe.


Even when Lock On! began to be ranked, it wasn't doing that poorly. Now it's faltering and (unfortunately for me) I wouldn't be surprised if it got cut.
Lock on won't be cancelled because Medaka is already one year old and it's ranking isn't great so they will most likelly give lock on some time to stabilish and if it can't than they will cancel it.

Also Lock-on is slice of life kind of manga and that kind of prevents it from being cancelled the same happened to Medaka when there was Akaboshi and Kagijin but now that Medaka turned to batlle that protection no longer exists.
 
Last edited:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Any color it has gotten was because of the vomic being announced or the obligatory beginning colors for new series. Medaka doesn't get the luxury of having Jump trying to prop it up any chance it gets.
Actually it probably does. It has a successful author attached to it and is the only ecchi series in the magazine, as well as having reasonable tankoubon sales.

It's place in the magazine could possibly be that of what To-Love-Ru's was. Medaka Box is definitely much more appealing to me than Tora was, but there's no denying that it is filling the niche it left behind.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Oh yeah that's right Medaka already passed 50 chapters. But I wonder how many chapters will it last I don't think it will last longer than Mx0 maybe.
Medaka doesn't need to be a super long series imo. Definitely not something that goes on for 8-10 years.

Somewhere between Neuro and Eyeshield's length is probably more than enough. One of the things I like is that it doesn't dawdle too much. I'm fine with it getting in, doing what it wants to do, and getting out in a reasonable time period.

Actually it probably does. It has a successful author attached to it and is the only ecchi series in the magazine, as well as having reasonable tankoubon sales.

It's place in the magazine could possibly be that of what To-Love-Ru's was. Medaka Box is definitely much more appealing to me than Tora was, but there's no denying that it is filling the niche it left behind.
Propping up and being left to its own devices as long as it doesn't go on a dead last losing streak are two different things imo. Beelzebub, Kuroko, and some would claim Toriko at its start were examples of the former. Medaka is an example of the latter. Unless something special is happening a bone isn't thrown its way and I highly doubt Medaka can manage to stay in the death spot like TLR did for months on end without getting an axe thrown its way.

Tell that to the whiners who say they won't read it anymore because the romance wasn't the leading focus and it isn't even used on the level as the one shot. That and its ecchi factor isn't anywhere near To Love Ru levels though I do know that it has quite a few of the same readers and I won't deny its clearly got ecchi elements. I've called it a jack of all trades throughout its serialization for a number of reasons. One of my actual arguments for the series earning its keep is that it sells well. That is most definitely one of the main factors why it has still been able to hang around.

To Love Ru could just have easily become a pure battle manga imo. All the necessary factors were there but of course we all know how that went. Anything beyond chapter 50 degenerated into Rito face planting into the special parts of his harem member of the week's body.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Propping up and being left to its own devices as long as it doesn't go on a dead last losing streak are two different things imo. Beelzebub, Kuroko, and some would claim Toriko at its start were examples of the former. Medaka is an example of the latter. Unless something special is happening a bone isn't thrown its way and I highly doubt Medaka can manage to stay in the death spot like TLR did for months on end without getting an axe thrown its way.

Tell that to the whiners who say they won't read it anymore because the romance wasn't the leading focus and it isn't even used on the level as the one shot. That and its ecchi factor isn't anywhere near To Love Ru levels though I do know that it has quite a few of the same readers and I won't deny its clearly got ecchi elements. I've called it a jack of all trades throughout its serialization for a number of reasons. One of my actual arguments for the series earning its keep is that it sells well. That is most definitely one of the main factors why it has still been able to hang around.

To Love Ru could just have easily become a pure battle manga imo. All the necessary factors were there but of course we all know how that went. Anything beyond chapter 50 degenerated into Rito face planting into the special parts of his harem member of the week's body.
Heh, no need to defend it to me. I read it and enjoy it quite a bit. I wasn't really into it changing into a battle manga, but I was quite surprised at how original it was able to be doing one of the most cliched things a series can do when it isn't a mega hit.

That being said, I never meant to imply that it was being "Kuroko-ed". Kuroko has been in the magazine longer and has been the sole manga of it's genre in the magazine longer as well. I can still admit that Medaka's fortunes in the magazine aren't entirely hinged on it's ToC ranking, compared to Lock-On or Yotsuya though. The artist has been serialized before, and Nishio Isshin is a very popular and successful author. Lock-On and Yotsuya don't have any of those things going for them, nor anything comparable.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

To Love Ru could just have easily become a pure battle manga imo. All the necessary factors were there but of course we all know how that went. Anything beyond chapter 50 degenerated into Rito face planting into the special parts of his harem member of the week's body.
I actually remembered what To-Love was the first year, being sort of a poor-man's UY with actual character development and bits and pieces of ecchi. It had potential...which is ultimately squandered, wasted and barfed on, whether or not it has to do with everything that happened to the mangaka involved. Personally though I doubt it ever would have been a battle manga, maybe more along the lines of a more perverted Jump romance.
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Heh, no need to defend it to me. I read it and enjoy it quite a bit. I wasn't really into it changing into a battle manga, but I was quite surprised at how original it was able to be doing one of the most cliched things a series can do when it isn't a mega hit.

That being said, I never meant to imply that it was being "Kuroko-ed". Kuroko has been in the magazine longer and has been the sole manga of it's genre in the magazine longer as well. I can still admit that Medaka's fortunes in the magazine aren't entirely hinged on it's ToC ranking, compared to Lock-On or Yotsuya though. The artist has been serialized before, and Nishio Isshin is a very popular and successful author. Lock-On and Yotsuya don't have any of those things going for them, nor anything comparable.
My bad. With all the shots that get thrown its way I pretty much always come in debate mode when discussing the series. If people didn't act like there were no improvements at all and if there weren't so few members that argue in favor of it that wouldn't be the case.

I think it does a good job of being over the top and parodying shounen manga elements but still having a serious element and interesting characters as well. As someone who enjoyed the likes of Bobobo and Kinnikuman, I can appreciate crazy elements like a cyborg girl who walks on ceilings/walls and a guy who has a hammer space arsenal of weapons he pulls out of his ass. Plus I can't quite recall a plot line like the Flask Plan in any recent WSJ manga(In the past two decades at least) I have read so it earns originality points there.

Pretty much agree with everything you said. Although Akira Akatsuki's first series would probably be more of a detriment rather than a credit to him considering Contractor M+Y pretty much bombed before getting beyond the dozen chapter mark.

I actually remembered what To-Love was the first year, being sort of a poor-man's UY with actual character development and bits and pieces of ecchi. It had potential...which is ultimately squandered, wasted and barfed on, whether or not it has to do with everything that happened to the mangaka involved. Personally though I doubt it ever would have been a battle manga, maybe more along the lines of a more perverted Jump romance.
I don't think it would have became an outright battle manga either but I believe the transition wouldn't have been all that hard if Yabuki wanted. To Love Ru in its first year did a number of things right and I too believe it squandered its potential. Granted most of us just accepted it for what it eventually became but I always wonder what could have been.

It also doesn't help that Yabuki made that Futagami Double one shot which was entertaining but I pretty much know he isn't going to do anything with it since he is in Jump SQ now and has his personal issues. Something else I'd have liked to see expanded but its become a "what could have been" scenario.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

I don't think it would have became an outright battle manga either but I believe the transition wouldn't have been all that hard if Yabuki wanted. To Love Ru in its first year did a number of things right and I too believe it squandered its potential. Granted most of us just accepted it for what it eventually became but I always wonder what could have been.

It also doesn't help that Yabuki made that Futagami Double one shot which was entertaining but I pretty much know he isn't going to do anything with it since he is in Jump SQ now and has his personal issues. Something else I'd have liked to see expanded but its become a "what could have been" scenario.
The problem is that Yabuki wasn't really in as much control as we think. Remember: he went into To-Love as an artist, not as the writer and artist like he was in Black Cat. Therefore the writer seems just as much, if not more, at fault probably with the horrible direction To-Love went into after the first year. I doubt it would have really become a battle manga but somehow if Yabuki had a bit more control of his life that the series wouldn't have just collapsed after the first year from a "nice romance series with fanservice" to "fanservice-mania".
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top