Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

I guess we just have to accept that it's impossible for new series to break through when there are too many titles running at once.

But Naruto should be ending in a few years, and I can't see Gintama lasting for too much longer either. Bakuman is almost ready to overtake Death Note in length, so I can definitely see Ohba starting to wrap things up soon. Other than that, I can't really see any other established series with a definite end in sight.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

I think it's more how good a series is rather than how bad its competition is. Most of the high ranking series did well in the TOC their entire run, more or less. Or at least in their beginnings they never went into the bottom 5 at least for a while.
 

Esc.

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2007
Messages
210
Reaction score
76
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

I'm not sure if that's completely accurate. I think for a series like Reborn who hasn't really been in the bottom (as far as I know), and who already established it's base and rank it doesn't seem possible for it to ever descend, even with some of the later chapters not matching up to it's earlier arcs. In my opinion, a series like that should drop much lower than it is, but it doesn't seem to be doing so because of the newer series bottoming out all the time. The veteran series are using the newer series as a raft while they drown.

It's just my opinion. I haven't read Reborn in a really long time, so I don't know if it's been getting better or not. I hope no one takes that comment to heart.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Personally I'm really enjoying REBORN right now...

Take into account that JUMP readers don't stay the same age forever. Readers who were twelve in 2006 will be sixteen in 2010; those who were sixteen will be twenty. Personal tastes change and so do the masses.

Japanese pop culture changes more rapidly than any other culture. An unknown trend this year might be everywhere the next. For example, I never heard of AKB48 in 2008 when I was at Japan, but now I hear about them everywhere (well, on the net at least).

Changing trends might be one of the reasons why this year is turning out poor. The 2010 series are vastly different from one another but something about them doesn't click with the readers today.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

There was a picture of most of the TOC in this week's OP spoilers. You can't see the whole thing, but if you count the stuff with color pages:
http://www.imagebam.com/image/d9da6494597611

1. One Piece
2. Naruto
3. Toriko
4. Bleach
5. Sket Dance
6. [One Shot?]
7. Nurarihyon no Mago
8. Beelzebub
9. Inumaru Dashi
[Then something else. Because Inumaru is 10 pages long and the next one is like 20 pages after. I dunno maybe there are just a lot of ads or something.]
11. Reborn (Color Page)

Oh, and I think maybe Bakuman had the opening color, so maybe that's first.
 
Last edited:

Akiyama

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
5,752
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

There was a picture of most of the TOC in this week's OP spoilers. You can't see the whole thing, but if you count the stuff with color pages:
http://www.imagebam.com/image/d9da6494597611

6. [One Shot?]
I checked and 小倉祐也 is the name of the author of the next golden cup entry, Sengoku Basho. :)
 

Zangetsu01

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
118
Reaction score
749
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

TOC Shared by Ohana

Ohana @ 2ch said:
456 :ohana ◆IR7jauNn4E :2010/08/25(水) 16:23:39 ID:YhHK4mM2P

表紙 バクマン


バクマン
ワンピ
ナルト
トリコ
銀魂
ブリーチ
スケット
戦国バショウ
ぬらり
べるぜ
いぬ
リボーン
保健室
サイレン
黒子
めだか
こち亀
SWOT
動物園
メタリカ
少年


背表紙 ウルキオラ
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Ok, so that is:
Bakuman (Cover)
One Piece
Naruto
Toriko
Gintama (Big Announcement I guess)
Bleach
Sket Dance
Sengoku Bashou (One Shot by 小倉祐也)
Nuraruhyon no Mago
Beelzebub
Inumaru Dashi
Reborn (Color Page)
Houkenshitsu no Shinigami
Psyren
Kuroko
MEdaka
Kochikame
SWOT
Doubutsuen
Metallica
Shounen Shikku


The back cover is Ulquorria.

The announcement for Gintama is.....................A musical live-action version for a second anime.
Or not. Actually I don't think we know yet. People are saying on the Gintama spoiler thread it's just the release date for the movie DVD, which is 12/15... But it's not really confirmed yet.
There is this though:
http://imepita.jp/20100825/621120
On which is says on the side "go right to the next page for the big new information!"
 
Last edited:

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Despite having CP, khr is low, almost at the bottom 5. I hope it won't sink further. What a disgrace if it end up being cancelled after reaching 300+ chapters. D:

It always amused me how pathetic Ichigo look in the TOC page. Almost as if he is tired of the manga himself... >_<
 
Last edited:

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

That's because It has color. Colored chapters are placed at the front midlle and near the botom so that has nothing to do with its actual ranking.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Somehow the KochiKame cover for the tanko is neat. Don't ask me why.

It's just a really weird week in Jump honestly. For the most part outside a few notables (the Gintama DVD announcement, top five for Sket, the "time out" OP is getting for a bit), there isn't much really to say. Though...next week "could" be Shinigami's first anniversary.
 

Esc.

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2007
Messages
210
Reaction score
76
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Whoa. Mago's looks freaking awesome, gotta say.

Yea, september is gonna bore me without any upcoming series, and without OP of course.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Always when i see the Mago covers i want to read it!I need to finally start.

And Gintama's big news is....well...
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Oh Medaka gets 23 pages for Issue #40? I love seeing that. The volume 6 cover looks awesome. AA threw me a curve ball because I was completely expecting Miyakonojou Oudo to hog the next cover.

Sket Dance's is cute with a lot of the characters in kid form.

As for the ToC, it is near perfect imo. I don't feel like nitpicking though so this is good.

Though...next week "could" be Shinigami's first anniversary.
I think that is a very safe bet. Its already been a year and it doesn't look like there are 5 other series that have to celebrate their anniversary before it does like in the spring.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

I'm really happy with Sket's ranking. :) The cover is really cute too!

The big news for Gintama isn't really "big" so to speak.
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Well Gintama's anouncement is indeed big if you're a fan that is.

The Benizakura arc is arguably (maybe the Yoshiwara arc can top it) the best arc in the series up until now. It was highly demanded as a movie and I bet its sales will be huge.

If the sales are huge it would be no surprise if they turned the Yoshiwara arc into a movie too.

If the anime was already epic I wonder how much better the movie version will be.
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Well Gintama's anouncement is indeed big if you're a fan that is.

The Benizakura arc is arguably (maybe the Yoshiwara arc can top it) the best arc in the series up until now. It was highly demanded as a movie and I bet its sales will be huge.

If the sales are huge it would be no surprise if they turned the Yoshiwara arc into a movie too.

If the anime was already epic I wonder how much better the movie version will be.
Honestly I like the Benizakura arc but somehow I like the arcs that combine the comedy and the action together a bit more from what I've read so far. (oh and if you want pure action, don't forget to add in Itou/Shinsengumi Rebellion to that list)
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Well that's why the Yagiu arc deserves a movie xD It was simply genius. I bet we will have at least one more Gintama Movie.

It's nice to see that other manga besides the big 3 can get a movie or two sometimes.
 

salam-daim

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2009
Messages
67
Reaction score
79
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

new record for one piece : here

I suppose naruto fan will come soon :ninja:
 

Esc.

Manga Editor
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2007
Messages
210
Reaction score
76
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Jebus! 20 Mil. in one year. For One Piece, these records are only going to keep rising. xD

btw, SWOT's first official ranking made bottom 5? Or is the official ranking next week? I know next week is Doubutsuen.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top