Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
@Zaycon: Going by that isn't sufficient enough. Iirc, Binbougami ga! was a SQ series which made a special chapter appearance in WSJ too. It didn't move however.

But never say never, it might be that shueisha wants to see if the WSJ audience will taste ao no excorsist. D.Gray-man can survive in SQ so why couldn't an SQ series survive in wsj.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
The only problem an SQ series would have in Jump is the age of the audience. 80% or more of WSJ's readers are under 17. SQ's demographic breakdown doesn't even list readers under 16. Series with an older series fanbase seem to do very poorly, at least in the polls, for Jump.

If I had to guess, it's getting a special one shot to help promote the anime. Every now and again Shueisha will do that. Gag Manga Biyori will get a WSJ one shot soon too. Binbougami ga! also had a WSJ chapter a year or so ago, if I remember correctly.
 
Last edited:

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Yeah, I guess said difference in age of the readers is exactly the reason why they're launching this special chapter. They're trying to hype the anime and see if they can hook the kids from WSJ who haven't read/heard of the series yet. (Just my theory but it'd be my best guess...)

And IMO AoExo should stay where it is. Who knows how well Katou-sensei could handle a weekly series. I'm way too satisfied with the way things are currently going. Never change a running system!
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Wow, some of the one shots look really nice! I see the guy who did Onani Master Kurosawa, Yokota, is featured and his series looks quite cool.
The one I look forward to most is Koshien no Mamono (甲子園の魔物). The preview pic really appeals to me and I just love Baseball Manga...^^

Now I really hope some scans for this will pop up!
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
I can't be the only one who thinks the male protagonist pictured for Tensei Henshin DX Dragon Shaft (転生変身DX ドラゴンシャフト) looks like Setsuna F. Seiei from Gundam 00, right down to that scarf :V

The art for most of these one-shots look really impressive. I'm looking forward to them.
 

ZoddGuts

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2007
Messages
67
Reaction score
20
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What's the name of the 54p oneshot? and the name of the author.
 

jose

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2009
Messages
91
Reaction score
12
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
author is komi naoshi, authro of double arts, but the name i dont know.

the other one shot with color and 51p is the author of kiben gakuha
 

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
I can tell you the names for those who are interested:

HQ! (or ハイキュー! Haikyuu!) is the one by Furudate
Nisekoi (ニセコイ) is the name of Komi's one shot

The other ones on the bottom of the page are mainly by newcomers who won some of the various Newcomer Awards that JUMP does... they are [from left to right, top to bottom]:

1st row: Hazami to Bubusuke (ハザミとぶぶ介) || Goalkeeper Katayama (ゴールキーパー片山) || Himitsu no Propeller (秘密のプロペラ)
2nd row: Tensei Henshin DX Dragon Shaft (転生変身DX ドラゴンシャフト) || MOMO Denki (MOMO伝記) || Tonkotsu Baka Ichidai (とんこつバカ一代)
3rd row: Koushien no Mamono (甲子園の魔物) || Akage no An (赤毛のアン) || Shin Onigashima (新鬼ヶ島)
4th row: Sora ☆ Sora (ソラ☆ソラ) || Fantastica LINE || Hachi Mega Death[?] (ハチメガデス, hachimegadesu)

I'm too lazy to look up what awards each of those authors has won... though I guess most of them will be from JUMP Treasure. The writer for Koushien no Mamono won the Story King Award, so I'm really looking forward to this one. : )
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Shifting from a monthly magazine to a weekly one might be difficult to do. I'm not entirely sure how a monthly schedule works, but a schedule of a weekly mangaka is pretty compact. Their story progresses every week so they have to have an editor meeting weekly as well; whereas -and correct me if I'm mistaken- a monthly mangaka would meet around one or two times per month. (Where's the Manganouno Kitaekata book when I need it! It's somewhere in the Pacific Ocean right now.)

I'm not sure if I'll read it, but the one-shot that looks the most interesting is Tensei Henshin DX Dragon Shaft. It's based solely on the art although the title looks interesting as well!
 

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Koshien no Mamono and Akage no An interest me the most, based on art. Akage especially.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Interesting to see Nakaba in the new mag (he actually did a series in Jump prior to moving to Sunday for a bit), but otherwise it seems like a weird shonen/seinen fusion thing. Sort of hope it works out but I do wonder if they're starting to overstretch themselves.


Sorry for the double post but this is just something to bring up:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...ce-hijacks-all-shueisha-magazines-in-february

It's a downright pirate hijacking of Shueisha! Not sure if I like the idea of overexposing even Jump's biggest hit but it is sort of neat to see this...though I would think it cool if, say, we get a Oda/Yudetamago team-up in Weekly Playboy...or Oda/Takei in the magazine that now has his revived series...or Oda/Watsuki in Jump Square.
 
Last edited:

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
^ pfft, that is awesome indeed! :tem
According to a poll, OP is popular throughout all age range (12-50, if i remember correctly...?) and gender, i don't think people will mind. :D

OP haters on the other hand...:oh
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
That's awesome! I can't wait to see him on the cover of some of the shojo magazines.
 

Akiyama

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Messages
3,256
Reaction score
5,752
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
One Piece is taking over amazon japan too, I browse the Top 100 now and then and currently 15 slots are OP. I've never seen this many before, it's usually the recent volume and the previous.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
That is very exciting :tem I do hope the covers for all of those are posted. I would love to see them!
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Sorry for the double post but this is just something to bring up:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/int...ce-hijacks-all-shueisha-magazines-in-february

It's a downright pirate hijacking of Shueisha! Not sure if I like the idea of overexposing even Jump's biggest hit but it is sort of neat to see this...though I would think it cool if, say, we get a Oda/Yudetamago team-up in Weekly Playboy...or Oda/Takei in the magazine that now has his revived series...or Oda/Watsuki in Jump Square.
I giggled when I saw SEVENTEEN, Non-no and Myojo on the list. :tem

I'm afraid it might be overexposure to include magazines that have nothing to do with manga. I have issues of SEVENTEEN, and only a quarter of a page has anything to do with it, which for the most part are simply recommendations.

Although it's great for Oda, his team and fans! Looking forward to the covers.
 

tej7war

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 18, 2009
Messages
3
Reaction score
3
Gender
Male
Country
Argentina
incase , anyone had a doubt about when bleach is ending.
kubo said in jump festa that bleach will continue for another 10 years .
 

mega walker

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 28, 2009
Messages
44
Reaction score
6
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
England
I have to say i'm pretty dissapointed about jump this year so far, I was really looking forward to a new series starting which is usually the highlight of jump at the beggining of the year and also it said in the latest one piece scan that jump is changing its logo, is this true?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top