Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

jorped

The True Ninja
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
6,139
Reaction score
4,703
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
interesting that Toriko is side by side with Naruto and Luffy!

Where is Ichigo ? :toc


:3c
 

Nuno

Retired Douchemin
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 6, 2008
Messages
27,800
Reaction score
18,554
Gender
Hidden
Country
Norway
Hilarious, Ichigo has officially been kicked out of the trio in favour of Toriko. Can't say I recall this happening before in a group shot like this? Anyway Naruto looks really weird, and LOL at Gintoki, love his "fat mode" :XD
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,559
Reaction score
5,409
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
It's gonna take a while to get used to Ichigo being kicked out in group shots like that......
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Hilarious, Ichigo has officially been kicked out of the trio in favour of Toriko. Can't say I recall this happening before in a group shot like this? Anyway Naruto looks really weird, and LOL at Gintoki, love his "fat mode" :XD
Yeah I had to laugh too because of the hilarity. Naruto and Luffy were obvious as cover protagonists but the fact that Toriko gets a place in the front instead of Ichigo is a good laugh :XD Check ichigo's face :p So WSJ considers its big three: One Piece, Naruto and Toriko
 
Last edited:

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
OUCH at Bleach. That's a big kick in the nose from WSJ. If this keeps up the new "Big Three" will probably be One Piece, Naruto, and Toriko.

I love how Toriko has the same expression as Luffy. It's like they're meta-aware that Toriko totally took Ichigo's spot.
 

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Ahahaha. That's what the big three should be - OP, Naruto and Toriko. Bleach lost its place (and yeah look at Ichigo's face, it's got this expression like "I'm kinda happy but not really"). And Toriko's like going, "Muahahaha!" :kukuku It's cool that this is kinda like an "official statement" from WSJ about who should be considered a part of the "big 3". Well, it's not like people are going to stop calling Bleach a part of the big 3. I just wish more people here on MH would read Toriko and appreciate it :)

Also, I like to think of Saikou and Shuujin as co-protagonists in Bakuman, so I don't really like seeing Saikou as the only one representing Bakuman all the time :darn it's like, picturing Oga without Beel :/
 

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
Why would anyone still call Bleach the 'big three'?
To be honest a LOT of people had been wanting to see Bleach goes down. And here it is. It is just a cover, but it still feels good to see that. :D
 

StrangerAtaru

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2008
Messages
1,452
Reaction score
294
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Why would anyone still call Bleach the 'big three'?
To be honest a LOT of people had been wanting to see Bleach goes down. And here it is. It is just a cover, but it still feels good to see that. :D
People still call Bleach "big three" because of it's long history of being as such in this country at this point. But somehow the fact that Shueisha has realized Toriko has kicked Ichigo out of that position in Japan is...well a sign.

Of course I wasn't thinking of any of this when seeing that cover due to being directed to how (intentionally most likely) disturbing Gintoki is here.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Of course I wasn't thinking of any of this when seeing that cover due to being directed to how (intentionally most likely) disturbing Gintoki is here.
QFT. It's nice to know despite his complaining that Sorachi still has a pretty wicked sense of humor. I'll need a laugh now that the whole internet is going to be staring at me for their Gintama fix for now on.
 

jorped

The True Ninja
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
6,139
Reaction score
4,703
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Ahahaha. That's what the big three should be - OP, Naruto and Toriko. Bleach lost its place (and yeah look at Ichigo's face, it's got this expression like "I'm kinda happy but not really"). And Toriko's like going, "Muahahaha!" :kukuku It's cool that this is kinda like an "official statement" from WSJ about who should be considered a part of the "big 3". Well, it's not like people are going to stop calling Bleach a part of the big 3. I just wish more people here on MH would read Toriko and appreciate it :)

Also, I like to think of Saikou and Shuujin as co-protagonists in Bakuman, so I don't really like seeing Saikou as the only one representing Bakuman all the time :darn it's like, picturing Oga without Beel :/
I read around 270 chapters of Bleach and it didn't impressed me !
I didn't get why it was ever called one of the big three!
And although i still don't like much of it , the problem was not the comparative with the other mangas but yes with Naruto and One Piece!

Naruto and One Piece are for me very far away the most interesting shounens from WSJ ! And i think that comparing these two to any other manga of WSJ is nonsense!

I am not a supporter of the fact that people still have the idea that there should exist the "big 3"! For me until now it has only been the "top 2"!

I read Toriko and the all story has just been very good , but it is still to soon to include it on such restrict group as the "big 3"!

Naruto and One Piece , for now are the only ones for me that stand out very clearly from the all others!

Toriko still lacks in some categories and the one that i am expecting a lot from and that will be needed to make me change my mind and put it on the same category of Naruto and One Piece will be the creation of a amazing world !!! The human world of Toriko is indeed good , but i don't think that someone can really compare it to Naruto's and One Piece's one !

I am expecting a lot from the Gourmet World and i just hope that Mitsu puts all his talent on it !!!
 

ZayCon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2010
Messages
227
Reaction score
60
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Norway
What a wonderful cover! I really LOVE that Toriko has taken Ichigo's place. Bleach hasn't deserved the "big 3" spot since the Soul Society arc, in my opinion. Of course, it have been some good chapters, twists and fights - But nothing that could make it a "big 3" manga.
 

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
I'm not sure why people are so obsess with the SS arc. It would drive you crazy if you followed that part weekly even more so than the Arrancar arcs.

Bleach has never been a good read as a weekly, and, a lot of time, the "SS arc is the best" sentiment stems from the fact that most fans started reading Bleach only after the SS arc is more than half way through, and they were able to read the tank release or batch chapters for the majority of it.

It's still too early to crown Toriko as the "new big 3". It's hot right now, sure, but more of it is due to editor's pimping for the anime than it's becoming wildly popular. The tank sales don't lie, and TV ratings don't lie either.

If anything, the deserving series should be Bakuman, which didn't get much love at all when the anime began... (and still behind Ichigo...)
 

jorped

The True Ninja
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
6,139
Reaction score
4,703
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Yeah i would had put if i was the WSJ's boss definitely Mashiro in front of Ichigo!

I mean, Bakuman has been a pretty awesome work!!! It must be hard for a manga like Bakuman which don't have fights at all and "magic worlds" to do so well!

An other manga that i am disappointed is Beelzebub ! The game arc was the most boring arc that i ever saw but i just hope that it recovers! At least the last chapter wasn't that bad at all :yay

I can't wait for the day that i see Shion from Magico in front of Ichigo :Haha
It will mean that Magico isn't going that bad and that i did well in decided to follow it :toc
 

Jaiden82

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
209
Reaction score
66
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well Bleach will always be considered one of the big three, in my eyes anyway. But personally to replace Bleach with Toriko as part of the "big 3" I don't know about that. I think Bakuman would have been better. And whose to say that the cover for this week's issue of WSJ is just the reflection of this week's TOC's.

Why would anyone still call Bleach the 'big three'?
To be honest a LOT of people had been wanting to see Bleach goes down. And here it is. It is just a cover, but it still feels good to see that. :D
Why? Because Bleach is still part of the big 3 in most people's eyes. They (Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach) are the grand daddies of the WSJ going 400+, 500+, and 600+ manga chapters respectively. There maybe a change in the times coming but I think that's what the big three will always be.
 

come come paradise

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 14, 2008
Messages
54
Reaction score
12
Gender
Female
Country
France
I liked this, and not only for the lul factor (well, it is pretty hilarious, you have to admit :D). I still am and will always remain a Bleach fan, but its main qualities aren't typical Jump qualities, it had nothing to do in the front lines. Ofc I'm not trying to pass off Bleach as some kind of intellectual manga, it's still an action shonen, but hopefully if popular opinion stops considering it "Big 3" as well, people will stop complaining that the pace is too slow, or that the "pages are empty" =.="

Not that this cover means much except that Shueisha's pimping Toriko even more aggressively, but still.
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
I guess to replace Ichigo they could have put Gintoki in his bleach parody form :toc
 

meeedoooz

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2009
Messages
624
Reaction score
310
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Egypt
i don't read toriko but it's obvious that it's being pimped like crazy... and i don't know why is that!!!
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
Heey, I enjoyed the current Beelzebub arc, it was funny and get a lot of characters character development. Plus, it hasn't really affected its position in Jump much besides one or two rankings.

Bakuman actually has been a little disappointing to me. I guess the last arc seemed a bit like Death Note to me, and there wasn't much meta conversation about writing than before. I still like reading it though.

I have nothing to say about Bleach but...it must be cringeworthy seeing that cover, as a diehard fan. =/

Its nice that Sakaki is giving us all this info. I especially love his photographs on his way to work and the way he tweets in English. His English is incredible! I hope we get more nuggets of information like this, I think it adds something to this thread.
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
just because bleach isn't in the front spot doesn't mean it's out of the big 3. look at the sales, besides toriko sux for me in everything, dropped it after chapter 70 or so.

bakuman isn't shounen enough to be one of the big three and it wont have 500+ chapters in the end.
 

ZayCon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2010
Messages
227
Reaction score
60
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Norway
I'm not sure why people are so obsess with the SS arc. It would drive you crazy if you followed that part weekly even more so than the Arrancar arcs.

Bleach has never been a good read as a weekly, and, a lot of time, the "SS arc is the best" sentiment stems from the fact that most fans started reading Bleach only after the SS arc is more than half way through, and they were able to read the tank release or batch chapters for the majority of it.
I didn't read the SS arc weekly, so I can't say if it was a good read weekly or not. But the way I read it, it was amazing. I don't think the arcs after the SS arc would be as good if I read it all in a big read now.

But personally to replace Bleach with Toriko as part of the "big 3" I don't know about that. I think Bakuman would have been better.
Bakuman is an awesome manga, but it's not shounen enough to be one of the "big 3". It probably won't have more than around 200 chapters, and therefore it won't sell as good as a "big 3" manga.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top