Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
Actually, it's the chapter that was there 8 weeks/issues ago. It's still debatable whether 8th is ranked or not (even today, there are still people going on about it on 2ch). 9th, for sure, is ranked.

Ago = that long/much has passed. It has nothing to do with inclusiveness or not.

8 chapters/weeks/issues ago means 8 chapters has passed, or that there are total of 8 gaps between two chapters.

9 (1) 8 (2) 7 (3) 6 (4) 5 (5) 4 (6) 3 (7) 2 (8) 1
 
Last edited:

R4n

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
917
Reaction score
208
Gender
Hidden
Country
Micronesia
^...... is it possible to ask Sasaki-san about that then...? >_>;;;;
 

Keino

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 22, 2011
Messages
81
Reaction score
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Bleach can get better but not while this arc continues.... Reborn on the other hand I have no hope for. To me it will remain in the middle for a long time maybe all the way till it ends. Only an arc centered around Reborn can give it a chance of rising higher imo.
Other than that the rankings look good to me. Can't wait till Sengoku armors get translated. :grin
 

Rejuvenation

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2009
Messages
952
Reaction score
103
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Medaka is looking to be in its final arc or the arc before the final one. I could see it ending by the end of this year or this time next year. Depends on how much time Nishio and AA have before Medaka finally becomes the cushion if it ever does. The barrage of Soccer manga has certainly helped it survive this long. If an anime does come along, it might be when its closer to its ending rather than being what prolongs its lifespan.

With some of the newer series looking like they are surviving, that will probably put the series from 09 that managed to hang around a while on the ropes this year. Kuroko will probably be the last one standing though because of Jump's sports quota.

Reborn has overstayed its welcome. I'm hoping it finally ends sometime soon but it won't be this year.

Glad to see Bleach falling as low as it did. Hopefully it stays there and we don't see it get the pimping it has gotten over the years. Will need its anime to end before it officially drops like a rock though.

Nice to see Bakuman and Toriko regularly in the top 5 still. I may give Magico and Enigma a read sometime during the summer. Sket is remaining solid as well which is great.
 

Jaiden82

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 11, 2007
Messages
209
Reaction score
66
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This TOC blows!!! Engima above Bleach really. ARGHHH! Reborn at number, I kind of expected but I still wish it was higher. Oh and poor Mago is second from the bottom. :( My only bright spots are Bakuman and Magico, Naruto was a given since its near the top. Other than that this TOC blows.

Bleach was already in the good chapters back at 438-439.
I guess this arc isn't interesting for the voters.
Now i am expecting Bleach to rank low for the next 8 chapters or more.
If the voters keep voting like this then yeah.
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I mentioned it before, but it doesn't matter where Bleach is. It's already a well established popular series with a big fanbase. And like they said in Bakuman, if you sell more than 500,000 tankoubons for each volume then it's pretty much immune to being canceled.

But you also have stuff like ToLoveRu which was generally very low, but it was popular in sales, so that didn't matter.

And also there's stuff like Hunter X Hunter which ranks low because there aren't as many people that read it in the magazine as there are that buy the volumes because of the hiatuses.

So Bleach isn't gonna get canceled unless it somehow gets so bad that it loses its entire fanbase its built up over 10 years. Even though it's a well known symbol of manga and all.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Actually, it's the chapter that was there 8 weeks/issues ago. It's still debatable whether 8th is ranked or not (even today, there are still people going on about it on 2ch). 9th, for sure, is ranked.

Ago = that long/much has passed. It has nothing to do with inclusiveness or not.

8 chapters/weeks/issues ago means 8 chapters has passed, or that there are total of 8 gaps between two chapters.

9 (1) 8 (2) 7 (3) 6 (4) 5 (5) 4 (6) 3 (7) 2 (8) 1
Well I somewhat agree. It was always told to me that it is counting by 8 weeks/issues and not chapters. There is a huge difference because sengoku armors appeared last week in a double issue (= 2 weeks -> issue week and no issue week) with a single chapter...

So in a double issue situation:
#20-21 (chapter 7) - #19 (chapter 6) - #18 (chapter 5) - #17 (chapter 4) - #16 (chapter 3) - #15 (chapter 2) - #14 (chapter 1)

= 7 chapters in 8 issues

But in a single issue situation

#21 (chapter8) - #20 (chapter 7) - #19 (chapter 6) - #18 (chapter 5) - #17 (chapter 4) - #16 (chapter 3) - #15 (chapter 2) - #14 (chapter 1)

= 8 chapters in 8 issues

Ttx said that series which are released in the famous #2-3 and #4-5 week have a faster rating because of the issue count. The chapter count is one huge mistake.

So if we go by issue counting then issue #22 is the ninth issue in which sengoku armors is released and then whether it has only 8 chapters and 8-8=0, it is now rated because it appeared in its ninth issue from the start. I even think that its rating started from the 8th issue being issue #21 from the double #20-21
 
Last edited:

Finestela

RAW Provider
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 31, 2008
Messages
1,034
Reaction score
872
Gender
Female
Country
United States
^...... is it possible to ask Sasaki-san about that then...? >_>;;;;
I highly doubt he's going to divulge corporate secrets.
Not to mention it seems that the twitter account is only for posting, not for answering questions.
 

SSJWill4

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
132
Reaction score
38
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well I somewhat agree. It was always told to me that it is counting by 8 weeks/issues and not chapters. There is a huge difference because sengoku armors appeared last week in a double issue (= 2 weeks -> issue week and no issue week) with a single chapter...

So in a double issue situation:
#20-21 (chapter 7) - #19 (chapter 6) - #18 (chapter 5) - #17 (chapter 4) - #16 (chapter 3) - #15 (chapter 2) - #14 (chapter 1)

= 7 chapters in 8 issues

But in a single issue situation

#21 (chapter8) - #20 (chapter 7) - #19 (chapter 6) - #18 (chapter 5) - #17 (chapter 4) - #16 (chapter 3) - #15 (chapter 2) - #14 (chapter 1)

= 8 chapters in 8 issues

Ttx said that series which are released in the famous #2-3 and #4-5 week have a faster rating because of the issue count. The chapter count is one huge mistake.

So if we go by issue counting then issue #22 is the ninth issue in which sengoku armors is released and then whether it has only 8 chapters and 8-8=0, it is now rated because it appeared in its ninth issue from the start. I even think that its rating started from the 8th issue being issue #21 from the double #20-21
I've already mentioned this a couple of times before, but it doesn't make sense to rank by weeks since you would inevitably have weeks where no chapter is ranked because no issue occurred 8 weeks ago. Plus, a double issue is still just 1 issue.
 

Koen

Celestial Belgian
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Jan 27, 2006
Messages
13,821
Reaction score
3,547
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
Well the logics is far away indeed, SSJWill4 but then again where's the logics when issue #52 is released somewhere ending november/beginning december and issue #1 starts before the New Year started ;)
 

SSJWill4

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2009
Messages
132
Reaction score
38
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well the logics is far away indeed, SSJWill4 but then again where's the logics when issue #52 is released somewhere ending november/beginning december and issue #1 starts before the New Year started ;)
That doesn't really address my point though. Does my argument make sense?
 
Last edited:

Mr. Prince

MH's Best Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2006
Messages
1,121
Reaction score
2,259
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
[...]but then again where's the logics when issue #52 is released somewhere ending november/beginning december and issue #1 starts before the New Year started ;)
Well, that's more a question of how they're arranging their fiscal year. I'm working as a Journalist and it's perfectly normal for the magazines I'm with to start the new fiscal year in the last weeks of the calendar year... so it's not really JUMP-exclusive absurdness. :tem

--

On another note, I sure like this week's TOC. Since I'm lately kinda lacking series to root for (or rather, they don't need my support since they're all doing great), I feed off the poor performances of the series I disdain...

I'd certainly be surprised if Sengoku ARMORS really manages to stand the test over the next few weeks.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
The debate about which chapter is ranked is always confusing. :s I guess we'll have to determine it by what's happening in the story itself: most of the time a climax will rank higher than a denouement; a boss battle will rank higher than a fodder fight and so on. (Popular series will be on top no matter what so this goes for series that tend to fluctuate.)

I'm disappointed with the rankings because of Mago. It does not deserve that position AT ALL. I do have hope it'll rise eventually.

Apart from Bleach, the rest of the TOC is boring. LOL
 
Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Man, I am intensely pleased with how Magico is doing. i know it's still early days but it fills me with hope that we'll get a decent length run out of it. It's totally got that same charm that Double Arts had all that time back.... Though hopefully it manages to actually STAY popular, unlike that.

Still, outside of that this feels like a fairly standard TOC
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
^ I too am really pleased with Magico's high rank. It still has some kinks to iron out, but I think its great that it exists. It kind of reminds me of D.Gray-man a little (awkward info-heavy first couple of chapters, but progresses really smoothly), but yeah, it has a charm that I'm glad others are taking notice!

I am happy for more Beelzebub color pages. <3

I think just like Bleach, Reborn's tank sales do pretty well, don't they? I doubt they'd cancel it because its been on the lower end of the TOC for a while.

The magazine was already printed and sent to the stores around Japan and the world, however they're not allowed to sell them yet as far as I know. Some do it anyway.
Here I was scratching my head why we had a TOC this week, but it looks like some shopsellers can't be bothered to wait another week to sell their merchandise? xD
 
Last edited:

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So on a slightly different topic...which series do you think will be next for an anime announcement?

I would assume Medaka Box since ToC rankings aside, it has good enough volume sales to justify it seeing as how it was right behind Beelzebub before it;s anime came out. Plus since the series seems to be on it;s last arc anyway it can probably be done in around 52 episodes or so anyway(assuming they'll Yu Yu Hakusho it and speed through the daily life bits). Not to mention Ishin's name is big in the industry and could probably result in pretty good DVD sales anime wise.

I;m still not sure what the plan with Kuroko no Basuke is anime wise given it's really only around since JUMP needed a sports series at the time and since it bounces all over the place in the rankings, and while Shinigami seems to have been around long enough, it just keeps BARELY dodging the axe. Of course I don;t know when JUMP would think it;s time to put out another adaption for one of their series so I guess it's better just to see what happens.
 

Teeba

MH Senpai
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 20, 2007
Messages
1,885
Reaction score
1,612
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Pakistan
^ Personally, I think its too soon for another anime to be announced. Toriko, Beelzebub, and Sket Dance all just started their anime, and they are being promoted in Jump for it. I just feel that the way Jump operates, it wouldn't be wise to promote too many series at once. Maybe once Magico, ARMORs, and Grimm settle down in the TOC, but not before then.

I can see Medaka Box getting an anime after its been completed. If they do make it an anime, they can use the earlier pre-genre shift chapters as pseudo filler episodes to even out the pacing. I can't see Shinigami getting an anime at all. Kuroko, possibly, if they really wanted a sports anime. :P
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
I;m still not sure what the plan with Kuroko no Basuke is anime wise given it's really only around since JUMP needed a sports series at the time and since it bounces all over the place in the rankings, and while Shinigami seems to have been around long enough, it just keeps BARELY dodging the axe. Of course I don;t know when JUMP would think it;s time to put out another adaption for one of their series so I guess it's better just to see what happens.
Come on Kuroko is a nice series it's not on jump just for the sake of having a sports series it fares pretty well on the TOC and sells really well too.

People just kinda hate on kuroko cuse it has a special treatment sometimes but it's overall a nice series.

I can see Kuroko getting an anime within an year maybe?
 

Jaymie

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2009
Messages
877
Reaction score
352
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Well, the only likely series left to get an Anime is Medaka, and maybe Kuroko. After that we'll have to wait a couple of years for Enigma, Magico, and ARMOURS, assuming that they all survive.

In the meantime we could possibly get some adaptions of older series, or continuations of older series that ended prematurely.
 

Westlo

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 5, 2010
Messages
60
Reaction score
14
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
I would assume Medaka Box since ToC rankings aside, it has good enough volume sales to justify it seeing as how it was right behind Beelzebub before it;s anime came out. Plus since the series seems to be on it;s last arc anyway it can probably be done in around 52 episodes or so anyway(assuming they'll Yu Yu Hakusho it and speed through the daily life bits). Not to mention Ishin's name is big in the industry and could probably result in pretty good DVD sales anime wise.
People in the anime industry were already talking up the prospects of a Medaka Box anime over a year ago. Also don't underestimate Nisio's ability to extend things, the Bake novels easily could've finished @ 2 and than later 5 novels but now looks like being 11. Of course that choice might not be up to him.

But I do think this current arc has to be finished before an anime, because there's no real gap in between the two villains introduced in the 2nd and 3rd arc.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top