Discussion When will you stop reading manga?

alphabeta

Reviewer
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2011
Messages
2,551
Reaction score
1,844
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Russian Federation
There are tons of discussions based on the topic on how people started reading manga. But I think the topic of how people will stop reading manga could be just as interesting. I mean, it is obvious, that sometimes we all (fine, most of us) will sooner or later arrive at the point where we will stop reading manga.

And it picks my interest. What has to happen for this point to arrive? When have you decided for yourself that manga is not interesting to you anymore? What is/will be your reasoning when you will read the last chapter?
 

scav

MH's Most Passionate Member
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2010
Messages
11,919
Reaction score
10,372
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
when one piece will end, i'll prolly think about stopping manga, cuz i don't think there will be something more epic than One piece. that's all :hip
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
I have no immediate plans to stop reading manga. Maybe I'll lose interest someday, maybe I won't, but I generally don't plan such things in advance.

They make plenty of manga for readers over the age of 25, so there is nothing inevitable about losing interest in manga. Hell, there are plenty of magazines dedicated to readers in their 40's and 50's. Pretty much every publisher has at least one, if not more.
 

kdowns

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 4, 2009
Messages
2,887
Reaction score
1,822
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
This really all has to depend on how your interests play out, you could be interested in manga for your whole life, or your interest can die out and you just stop reading it all together. So, it really just lands along the line of personal prefrence...

As for me, I probably see me self reading it for quite a bit longer as my interests are still way up there.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
A lot depends on what someone reads too, and how much people read. I know a lot of people like scav, who lost interest when one series ended. I know a lot who have continued to love manga for a long time.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I have no immediate plans to stop reading manga. Maybe I'll lose interest someday, maybe I won't, but I generally don't plan such things in advance.
^

Plus, the wide types of manga make it hard to stop, although it depends on how hectic life gets.
 

himitsu87

Translator
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 16, 2008
Messages
84
Reaction score
14
Age
38
Gender
Female
Country
Kuwait
I don't think I'll stop reading mangas. There comes a time when I don't read but simply because I'm busy with other things. I always end up adding more mangas to my list :)
 

ZayCon

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jul 19, 2010
Messages
227
Reaction score
60
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Norway
I'm 19 years old now, and I've been reading manga for 5 years now. Untill now I've actually never lost interest, and I've been an active reader since I first started. I started watching anime around 1 year before I started reading manga, but I lost interest for about two years ago. Right now I can't see any reasons for me not reading manga, as I still find good mangas that's just amazing and breathtaking. I've decided that I at least should finish One Piece, even if I stop reading other mangas.
 

ashher

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 12, 2009
Messages
3,206
Reaction score
1,967
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Bangladesh
I think my enthusiasm about manga has waned a bit. I think i'll end up reading them less frequently as the time goes. Probably will get choosier about what to read.
 

Googlez_kun

MH's Best Artist
九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000!
Joined
Oct 22, 2008
Messages
9,744
Reaction score
8,510
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I don't think I'll ever stop reading manga.There might be a time where I'll read less manga and less frequently,but I doubt I'll ever get to the point where I'll lose interest.For the most part,art is at fault.As it controls my life in a way and manga is an art form I highly appreciate,I can't see it dissapearing from my life.Heck,I might end up drawing them myself.

I've been reading manga for some years now and as Kaiten said,there's an unbelievable variety of manga for every taste and every age.That being said,it's possible,but very unlikely for me to stop reading those japanese comics,as sad as that may sound for some people lol.
 

Nii

EVA Pilot
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Jun 20, 2008
Messages
28,454
Reaction score
28,222
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
when I'm so old and senile that I don't understand manga anymore :^_^

I seriously doubt that I will ever (completely) stop reading manga as long as my body and mind allows it. There are lots and lots of manga for all age groups so there will always be something you can enjoy. Of course there may be times you read less or stop reading for a while, no one knows what might happen in your life but nevertheless I'm pretty sure that I won't lose interest in reading manga.
 

BBB Banana

Fruits Punch Samurai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 3, 2009
Messages
6,103
Reaction score
4,043
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Fun Forum
Honenstly I plan to do many things in my life and I know there will be one point when I won't have a time for manga, I pretend to be a civil engeneer and as well as a university teacher, so that itself will take a lot of my time so whenever kids come into play I won't have the time to read manga as I will have a family. Also I plan to write a few books.

There are actually so many things I plan to do that I can see manga getting out of my life sooner than I expect. Though if that happens before my fave series end I might come back to read them until the end one day.

I guess it will be similar to when I was small and had imaginary friends lol, one day I said I would cease to play with them, I looked back on the past many times and missed them but I never went back on my word. Once I say I'll quit manga I'll never go back on it.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
@BBB Banana that was kinda profound, I liked it.

As for me.. I don't think I will ever stop reading manga, I mean as long as new manga keep coming and one interests me I will read it. Then there are the old titles I haven't read.
 

Magnus

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2010
Messages
313
Reaction score
63
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
No matter how busy I get, I always find enough time to follow the latest chapters of the current series that I find to be interesting. As long as they exist, I will continue to read them. I hope also that in the mean time new engaging titles will rise.

So I'm still quite far from totally stopping reading mangas. But I hope the existance of the internet won't be endangered (we don't realise enough how fragile it is), as it is the only way for me to keep reading mangas I like.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
You can say I sort of stopped reading manga now. :p School and real life got the best of me so I'm a few chapters behind on most series I'm reading. A more accurate depiction is that I'm on a hiatus from manga instead.

What would make me stop reading manga forever? I honestly don't know. I mainly read manga to keep up with my Japanese so if I stop reading manga, I'll fall behind in my literacy skills. LOL
 

Zeltrax

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 30, 2009
Messages
3,138
Reaction score
1,583
Gender
Male
Country
Singapore
Manga will be out of my life one day. I believe myself as rather silly if I think something will stay in my life for long.
With no doubt, I'll leave MH one day and stopped reading manga altogether one day. But until then, I'll enjoy it for all I can.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
I like your honesty, Zeltrax! The majority of us are students and aren't married with children yet. We still don't know what our future will look like so I agree that we should enjoy reading manga as much as we can right now.
 

ashher

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 12, 2009
Messages
3,206
Reaction score
1,967
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Bangladesh
^ eh, why are you guys so pessimistic when it comes to reading manga? Do ppl stop listening to music or reading books when they are no longer students or have kids? So why the manga readers have to be silly to think that they'll continue reading mangas?
 
Last edited:

jorped

The True Ninja
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 20, 2010
Messages
6,139
Reaction score
4,703
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Honenstly I plan to do many things in my life and I know there will be one point when I won't have a time for manga, I pretend to be a civil engeneer and as well as a university teacher, so that itself will take a lot of my time so whenever kids come into play I won't have the time to read manga as I will have a family. Also I plan to write a few books.

There are actually so many things I plan to do that I can see manga getting out of my life sooner than I expect. Though if that happens before my fave series end I might come back to read them until the end one day.

I guess it will be similar to when I was small and had imaginary friends lol, one day I said I would cease to play with them, I looked back on the past many times and missed them but I never went back on my word. Once I say I'll quit manga I'll never go back on it.
I think BBB described exactly what is much likely going to happen with me. I mean, in more than 4/5 months that i didn't started a new manga. Recently i read Shingeki, and it seems that now, i want to start read a lot of other mangas. But the fact is that i really can't. Exams that take days for you to be prepared, i didn't said fully prepared :S !, and if i don't want to fail i can't really start getting addicted on it. Nowadays is only Wednesday and those other days where the less popular manga are out ... so basically i don't spend much time with it.
I know that if i start getting addicted, studies and some other stuff will loose the time they are supposed to have. I mean i am the kinda of people that tries to study for example the less time possible, to have the best mark possible, so imagine what would be if i read manga. I am starting to remember last year again. Where i read manga on the night before the exam :lmao

For now i will keep following manga. I am 100% sure that if i am alive, i will read Naruto till the end, cuz it isn't really going to take much to end, but i am not really sure if in 10 years i will be reading manga and for example if i will see how One Piece ended. When you get older, and you start to have to be yourself to deal with the problems, there's the possibility you might not even feel in the mood to read ... or even that you don't even remember that the possibility of reading manga exists. Being an honest as i can, i don't think i will be reading manga in 10/15 years.
 

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
^ eh, why are you guys so pessimistic when it comes to reading manga? Do ppl stop listening to music or reading books when they are no longer students or have kids? So why the manga readers have to be silly to think that they'll continue reading mangas?
Reading manga is different from turning on an iPod or cracking open a book. The main difference is that we have to wait for releases as they come out, and most of the time we read manga online. Unlike other hobbies, there are a lot of steps that need to be taken in order for us to be entertained; the fact that it's a medium that is specific to the Japanese language plays a role.

EDIT: I prefer to read novels in one sitting, but I can't do that with manga since I have to wait chapter by chapter for an on-going story to be completed. Personally I read prose fiction faster than manga for some strange reason.
 
Last edited:
Top