Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2011 - 2012] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asarii

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 2, 2010
Messages
2,927
Reaction score
1,962
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Canada
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

One forgotten party is involved: SQ. The editorial staff of SQ has to agree to the move. The editors at Jump have little say in moving a series beyond meeting with their SQ counterparts. If they say no there is little the editorial staff of Jump can do to move the series.
That's true. The transfer has to benefit SQ the most financially and otherwise. If they say no, then there's no hope for the manga in question
 

AeonCalcos

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2011
Messages
109
Reaction score
119
Gender
Male
Country
Greece
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Hello everyone. I just want to ask something. Is there a possibility that they will move the New Prince of Tennis manga back to Weekly Shonen Jump and Nurarihyon no Mago to SQ at the same time? The NPoT anime has started and the progress of the manga in SQ is very slow. It's monthly and every chapters are too short.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Hello everyone. I just want to ask something. Is there a possibility that they will move the New Prince of Tennis manga back to Weekly Shonen Jump and Nurarihyon no Mago to SQ at the same time? The NPoT anime has started and the progress of the manga in SQ is very slow. It's monthly and every chapters are too short.
I don't think SPoT will be moving to WSJ. If it does, then the editors should take AnE rather than SPoT.
 

Krono

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 25, 2009
Messages
855
Reaction score
692
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Hello everyone. I just want to ask something. Is there a possibility that they will move the New Prince of Tennis manga back to Weekly Shonen Jump and Nurarihyon no Mago to SQ at the same time? The NPoT anime has started and the progress of the manga in SQ is very slow. It's monthly and every chapters are too short.
If the chapters are too short despite being monthy, then it's author is unlikely to be able to manage a weekly schedule. Especially as IIRC, PoT was just behind DGM in number of absences it had in WSJ.

So no, it's not likely to move.
 

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

AnE's author in one of the cases stated that she was struglling to keep up with the schedule and she definitely puts quality over quantity so at least for me I would love to see her still in SQ although I still have a hard time waiting for each chapter, if anyone should come back to Jump it should be Amano youichi with someone as a storywriter.
 

Negative Syndicate

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

if anyone should come back to Jump it should be Amano youichi with someone as a storywriter.
I'm not sure, I think Amano might do better than in SQ than in Shonen Jump because SQ is less competetive than Shonen Jump, I believe. Plus, there going to be less work load in monthly than weekly; Amano might have more time to organize a story. So, I think Amano should stay in SQ.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Glanced through that Rengoku oneshot and it actually looks potentially interesting. A thug/gang looking manga but the kicker is the main character beating the hell outta people seems to be a woman. I would really like to read that if anyone ever translates it.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Glanced through that Rengoku oneshot and it actually looks potentially interesting. A thug/gang looking manga but the kicker is the main character beating the hell outta people seems to be a woman. I would really like to read that if anyone ever translates it.
From the liiiiiiitttttle bit I was able to read, (knowing kanji helps to read a little chinese.) It seems to be closer to a gender bender type manga. Of course I'd need an actual raw to be able to tell, but yeah. I'd translate it if I could get a raw version.....I'd like to do more oneshots for that 'wow I completed something' feeling.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

From the liiiiiiitttttle bit I was able to read, (knowing kanji helps to read a little chinese.) It seems to be closer to a gender bender type manga. Of course I'd need an actual raw to be able to tell, but yeah. I'd translate it if I could get a raw version.....I'd like to do more oneshots for that 'wow I completed something' feeling.
That's kinda the vibe I got from it looking at the pictures since I thought the main character was a boy till "he" fell and it showed cleavage. For some reason that makes it more interesting to me. I'm either some strange perv or it's because I've never seen a "gangster"-type gender bender, especially in Jump.
 

Zeromcd

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2011
Messages
849
Reaction score
5,875
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Australia
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Jump's Largest First Printings

PHP:
ONE PIECE(volume - 64) 4,000,000
SLAM DUNK(volume - 21,22,23) 2,500,000
Dr. Slump(volume - 6) 2,200,000
DRAGON BALL(volume - 35) 2,200,000
Yu Yu Hakusho(volume - 15) 1,700,000
NARUTO(volume - 27,31) 1,620,000
HUNTER×HUNTER(volume - 13) 1,600,000
Kinnikuman(volume - 17) 1,600,000
Rurouni Kenshin(volume - 17) 1,330,000
BLEACH( volume - 25) 1,330,000
DEATH NOTE(volume - 7) 1,270,000
Prince of Tennis(volume - 16,18) 1,110,000
BASTARD !!(volume - 16) 1,050,000
Dai's Great Adventure(volume - 17) 1,050,000
Fist of the North Star(Unknown) 1,000,000  
Rokudenashi BLUES(volume - 25) 1,000,000
Hikaru no Go(volume - 21) 880,000
BOY(volume - 4) 800,000
Houshin Engi(volume - 6) 800,000
Kochikame(volume - 84,100,101) 800,000
D.Gray-man(volume - 12) 740,000
Sexy Commando (vollume - 3,4,6) 700,000
Hana no Keiji(volume - 5) 650,000
Gintama(volume - 22) 650,000
CITY HUNTER(volume - 23) 650,000
Tottemo! Lucky-Man(volume - 5) 630,000
Kateikyoushi Hitman REBORN!(volume - 21) 630,000
*Edited One Piece*
 
Last edited:

Inumaru

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2011
Messages
412
Reaction score
285
Gender
Hidden
Country
Brazil
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Very nice numbers for Sexy Commando and Luckyman. The 90's was a good decade for gag mangas.
 

tarouch

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 9, 2011
Messages
71
Reaction score
69
Gender
Male
Country
Morocco
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

@Zeromcd : The volume 64 of one piece has been printed at 4 millions for its first print.. so it is the largest one.. not the 61-62
 
Last edited:

saladesu

in absentia
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 18, 2010
Messages
4,282
Reaction score
6,494
Age
34
Gender
Female
Country
Singapore
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Pretty amazing to see by just how much One Piece is head and shoulders above all of Jump's other series past and present. Not to mention this list is a little outdated (as tarouch points out, volume 64 had 4 million of its first press). One Piece has been setting first pressing records since what, volume 56? Even as a fan, I can't help but think that it's popularity will plateau out sooner or later.

Quite interesting to note also how series that have very high total overall sales aren't on this list (Jojo's), or series on this list aren't that high on the total overall sales list (Yu Yu Hakusho), but I guess it's largely due to the number of volumes each series has.
 

k-dom

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 5, 2008
Messages
6,280
Reaction score
2,460
Gender
Male
Country
France
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

To me the most intriguing is that it seems to be a Japan thing, even if it increased a little in 2011, One Piece prints are still far below Naruto in France and just a little above Fairy Tail.
I think Kaiten also said One Piece was not as popular as Naruto in US. I wonder what explain such a big distinction overseas.
 

perroloco

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2008
Messages
1,056
Reaction score
915
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I gotta post this before anyone from America drops the 4Kids argument.. Which IMO is very valid and solid, but doesn't really explain why ONE PIECE isn't as popular as NARUTO in other parts of the world that didn't had the 4Kids dub.

ONE PIECE is like the 3rd in terms of popularity in most parts of the world outside of Japan (1st being Naruto and 2nd BLEACH although I have noticed BLEACH has been falling in popularity).

Here is an example of why I think BLEACH has been falling in popularity (Apart from the obvious like selling way less in Japan and dropping in the TOC and less presence on WSJ covers)

Naruto, ONE PIECE and BLEACH, Bakuman and Ao no Exorcist were published last month in USA.
Naruto got 1st unsurprisingly, 2nd BLEACH, 3rd ONE PIECe, 4th Bakuman and 5th Ao no Exorcist.
Next week Naruto got 2nd place (20th Century boys volume got 1st place this week)
Following week Naruto got 2nd place again (Full Metal Alchemist got 1st place this week) surprisingly 20th Century Boys dropped completely out of top 10 but ONE PIECE got 10th place.

This means IMO ONE PIECE has a more devote fan-base and I wouldn't be surprised if one day it outsells BLEACH because ONE PIECE is gaining popularity due to all the record-breaking and all that, people have started reading it just out of sheer curiosity (Edited Mangas some times, buying volumes.. watching the anime, etc..) and BLEACH is losing popularity..
Can't remember how many friends of mine say they just continue reading/buying it for the sake of completing something they have been reading for x number of years, not a single one of my friends have said the same about ONE PIECE.

EDIT: LOL I just re-readed my post and.. It doesn't say anything about why ONE PIECE isn't as popular worldwide LOL.. I could post it right now but I will just wait for other users to post since I don't want my post to be TL;DR
 

Asgaroth

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2011
Messages
910
Reaction score
133
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I think the reason that naruto is a lot more successfull worldwide is the tone, simply as that. One Piece is more colorful, children friendly and funny/bizarre. I know that one piece as also a piece of social criticisim, but the charakters and enemeys are looking much more funnier than in naruto. looking at the newest enemey big mama and compare her to mask-guy in naruto, you probably get what i want to say. please don't be picky with the comparision, i just try to show examples for my theory.

in conclusion: the story in naruto looks darker than in one piece. How could this be relevant? to generalize, japanese like their story in tone colorful and happy, in opposit to us westernes, who like it dark. an example for it would be the zelda games, i think it's the best one for it, even if it's not a manga.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (GC) 2.58(USA) 0.89(JAP) 1.08(EUR)
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii) 3.05(USA) 0.60(JAP) 1.83(EUR)

Both of them are very successful, but the darker one Twilight Princess is more accepted in Western, in comparison with the colorful Wind Waker. Even the Japanese numbers drop dramatically for the darker Version up to 30% less than Wind Waker.

The conclusion of the conclusion would be how to write a successfull manga in japan. Do a shounen battle manga with funny looking antagonist, hilarous moments in a western styled world (like medievil, greek, well known legends...) with a overall brightful tone. Of course it's not that easy to achieve and many failed, but thats the trend currently (or more like 20 years). There are series like gantz and other who are successful and don't fit at all in this formula, BUT there are a lot who do. Just looking at Dragonball (not Z), One Piece, AoE, Fairy Tail, ...
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Or it could be that the anime of Naruto was left largely unedited, aired at 10pm every night, on a popular cable block with Dragonball Z as a lead in while One Piece aired once a week, early in the morning during a block of cartoons aimed at children ten and under, was heavily edited (guns were turned into water guns), and unsurprisingly failed to find an audience. There is no question that the Naruto anime, licensed before the manga and on the air a year before, helped establish Naruto as a major title. Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, Inuyasha, Full Metal Alchemist, and Bleach were also popularized by anime before the manga became popular. Unlike those titles the English language adaption of One Piece was universally despised by anime fans and failed to attract fans to manga. Even among One Piece fans the 4Kidz adaption of One Piece is still one of the most despised anime adaptions ever, and has since been replaced. That is why One Piece is so far behind Naruto and even Bleach in the US.

Right now the best selling manga in the US are the Sailor Moon reissues, not Naruto.
 

Crude

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 16, 2007
Messages
2,698
Reaction score
693
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

I thought that the Naruto manga had been licensed a few years before the anime, and that it was due to its popularity that fansubbers started subbing the show. I remember that the reason I disliked One Piece (which I now love) was due to the wacky character designs and how silly the whole thing looked. Surprisingly it was with the 4Kidz dub that I actually got into the series, even though whilst watching I could tell that the original was much better. I think most people outside of Japan tend to prefer Naruto due to the "cool" factor the series has. It has cool character designs, cool fights, a cool world and the story being more serious than One Piece. Nowadays One Piece seems to have a lot more international fans. There are people I know whom I would never imagine would like manga/anime that really like One Piece.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

OP has just as many cool characters, fights, world and a serious story, just interwined by a lot of comedy. I think it's his early design/style than turned off so many people.

wikipedia said:
Twilight Princess is the best-selling Zelda game ever. During its first week, the game was sold with three of every four Wii purchases.[83] The game had sold 4.52 million copies on the Wii as of March 1, 2008,[84] and 1.32 million on the GameCube as of March 31, 2007
Maybe the Wii just added to the hardware base with it's massive sells in the west. :p
You just sell more units multiplatform, even if it's a successor console.
 
Last edited:

meeedoooz

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2009
Messages
624
Reaction score
310
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Egypt
Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2011] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

i guess i will agree with crudecross, the early art style of one piece with the darker nature is why... as for naruto after checking the manga did start first in the us!! "The Naruto manga is serialized in North America by Viz Media in their manga anthology magazine Shonen Jump, with the first chapter of the English adaptation published in the January 2003 issue " while " Viz licensed the anime series for broadcast and distribution in the Region 1 market. The English adaptation of the anime began airing on September 10, 2005 " according to wikipedia !! i know it's not that great of a source but if that's wrong please correct me
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top