- Joined
- Jul 4, 2006
- Messages
- 4,323
- Reaction score
- 917
- Gender
- Male
- Country
-
As a huge fan of One Piece manga since the late 90s. Yes, I remembered picking up the last volume of Dragon Ball and I remember picking up my first volume of One Piece. One Piece, by all meant, should be a great manga that can be translate to anime. And yet, I was hugely turned off by the 4kids dub. On the Japanese version, they are fun and all but I can't stand the pacing. I don't watch One Piece anime for a really long time now ever since the sky island arc.
I wished they are redoing the whole series. Chances are, they won't since they already made those movies and they gonna have an Arlong arc special in a couple of weeks. But most of the time, what I heard people who don't know anything about One Piece complained is the shear amounts of episode. I think One Piece make a huge mistake. Naruto has 100+ episode fillers that we can easily skipped, and that wouldn't jeopardize the pacing of the canon stuffs. Bleach has many original filler arcs that we can also skipped and wouldn't jeopardize the pacing of the original story. One Piece, on the other hand, stretched each story arc out so thin.
(Also, you can't really compare Bleach/Naruto's first few episodes with One Piece. One Piece is so much older that the latecomers has the benefits of improved anime techniques).
So here is my comparison on the pacing of the anime taking out the fillers. I only compared ones with similar chapter size (weekly rather than monthly).
1) Death Note- the gold standard- it jammed almost 3 chapters of content into 1 episode.
2) Fairy Tail- I didn't know why I enjoyed fairy tail anime so much until I did this comparison chart. It jammed a little more than 2 chapters per episode. Some arc has way way better pacing than other going as much as more than 3 chapters per episode. Though since the anime caught up to the manga, I don't know how the future pacing going to be.
3) Bleach- taking out the filler arcs- a little more than 2 chapters. The beginning of Bleach and Soul Society arc has especially good pacing. But as you can see for the later stuffs, even with the good ratio, we all know there is very little content per chapter anyway. Quality-wise, I may have rank it just above One Piece, because some of the fights are unoriginal and dragged out way too long in later arcs. I have not watched later Bleach arcs.
Naruto- is tied with Bleach- it has about 1.75 chapters per episode, but naruto chapters has more content. This does not taking into the consideration of the infamous 100+ episodes of fillers.
4) Hitman Reborn- About 1.6 chapters per episodes, when I watched this series, I did skipped out quite a lot of fillers.
5) One Piece- has the most horrid pacing of all anime, I've ever watch. Overall, about 1.35 chapters per episode. But the later stuffs from Enies Lobby up, the ratio went as low as 1 chapter per 1 episode. Imagine that, a chapter you can read in 5 minutes is stretched out to 20 minutes. I meant it is even more horrid considering fight scenes that supposed to take place at fast pace. I think it only going to get worst. I don't watch One Piece lately, I know that the animation has improve like 3x better than before. But >___<
In my heart, One Piece will be the king of weekly shonen jump, but damn, it kinda hard to convert anime fans over to this side.
I wished they are redoing the whole series. Chances are, they won't since they already made those movies and they gonna have an Arlong arc special in a couple of weeks. But most of the time, what I heard people who don't know anything about One Piece complained is the shear amounts of episode. I think One Piece make a huge mistake. Naruto has 100+ episode fillers that we can easily skipped, and that wouldn't jeopardize the pacing of the canon stuffs. Bleach has many original filler arcs that we can also skipped and wouldn't jeopardize the pacing of the original story. One Piece, on the other hand, stretched each story arc out so thin.
(Also, you can't really compare Bleach/Naruto's first few episodes with One Piece. One Piece is so much older that the latecomers has the benefits of improved anime techniques).
So here is my comparison on the pacing of the anime taking out the fillers. I only compared ones with similar chapter size (weekly rather than monthly).
1) Death Note- the gold standard- it jammed almost 3 chapters of content into 1 episode.
2) Fairy Tail- I didn't know why I enjoyed fairy tail anime so much until I did this comparison chart. It jammed a little more than 2 chapters per episode. Some arc has way way better pacing than other going as much as more than 3 chapters per episode. Though since the anime caught up to the manga, I don't know how the future pacing going to be.
3) Bleach- taking out the filler arcs- a little more than 2 chapters. The beginning of Bleach and Soul Society arc has especially good pacing. But as you can see for the later stuffs, even with the good ratio, we all know there is very little content per chapter anyway. Quality-wise, I may have rank it just above One Piece, because some of the fights are unoriginal and dragged out way too long in later arcs. I have not watched later Bleach arcs.
Naruto- is tied with Bleach- it has about 1.75 chapters per episode, but naruto chapters has more content. This does not taking into the consideration of the infamous 100+ episodes of fillers.
4) Hitman Reborn- About 1.6 chapters per episodes, when I watched this series, I did skipped out quite a lot of fillers.
5) One Piece- has the most horrid pacing of all anime, I've ever watch. Overall, about 1.35 chapters per episode. But the later stuffs from Enies Lobby up, the ratio went as low as 1 chapter per 1 episode. Imagine that, a chapter you can read in 5 minutes is stretched out to 20 minutes. I meant it is even more horrid considering fight scenes that supposed to take place at fast pace. I think it only going to get worst. I don't watch One Piece lately, I know that the animation has improve like 3x better than before. But >___<
In my heart, One Piece will be the king of weekly shonen jump, but damn, it kinda hard to convert anime fans over to this side.
One Piece actually can't grow better in TV as it would need to beat the real classics running for like 30-40 years - which is sort of impossible.