Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Keanu has an Asian background.

People always point that out, like it actually matters what ethnicity he is...it's obvious this isn't a period drama so I'm not sure why it would, lol
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,285
Reaction score
24,919
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I think the scenario is a little weird. I mean, it seems the movie starts in a non asian place but then keanu is taken to fight somewhere where the people, culture, the 46 warriors and antagonist are asian. They do say keanu is half asian or something and you are probably right about his background but overall the guy does not look asian at all. If ethnicity was not important then why bother specifically getting so many asian people for the movie cast? I think we should be past the point where movies are made where non asians are better asians than actual asians. I guess this does make more sense than katate kid doing kung fu though.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
If he's a half-breed, it would make sense for the hero to look different, even if it's not asian at all to you.:teehee Hawaiian people are mostly of half-japanese descendents, so no problem with me.

His mother was English and his father was a Hawaiian-born American of Native Hawaiian, English, Irish, Portuguese, and Chinese descent
Don't see the complaint, aside from trying to mock Keanu. Big budged titles get big hollywood name, there is nothing to complaint about that, instead being happy to allow asian people to participate in a Hollywood production. Keanu isn't a better asian, he is he better part asian, part westerner, fit for the plot.

Haven't realized Mako Mori is the antagonist, would like to hear her english voice some more, seemed so lacking during the Comic-Con panel for Pacific Rim, the german dub was a lot better Imo. edit: Seen some more interviews, seems pretty good for a japanese. hoho

Hey it can't be worse than After Earth.
 
Last edited:

danzouismadara

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
2,951
Reaction score
640
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If he's a half-breed, it would make sense for the hero to look different, even if it's not asian at all to you.:teehee Hawaiian people are mostly of half-japanese descendent, so no problem with me.



Don't see the complaint, aside from trying to mock Keanu.
he is lebanese actually. but still he sucks as an actor.
 

baboysai

Pink Warrior
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 11, 2006
Messages
13,956
Reaction score
2,293
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
It actually doesn't matter what his ethnicity is... I don't particularly like him as an actor, that's all. Seems like he has no ability to say more than three sentences per scene or something... But maybe that will be his advantage playing in this movie given a language barrier? hehe.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
he is lebanese actually. but still he sucks as an actor.
Eh... I know that he was born there, but that doesn't matter at all when the family was moving around the world like nomads. Neither Patricia Taylor nor Samuel Nowlin Reeves sound like they are descendents of Lebanon, and since I know a Lebanese family, I can asure you that he has no prominent lebanese features. but you got to bring out that remark anyway.

I respect your opinions, but I will disregard them nevertheless, I like my Keanu Reeves the way he is, has gone through enough shit in his life already. Yes I'm biased.

Here is a trailer to a new all-japanese[:D] movie with Ken Watanabe, dealing with the conflict of new vs old during the Meiji ishin. Without subs.


And a Ronin 47 trailer review for those interested:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
he is lebanese actually. but still he sucks as an actor.
He was born there. Just to clea this topic up, "His mother was English and his father was a Hawaiian-born American of Native Hawaiian, English, Irish, Portuguese, and Chinese descent". There.

I'm not particularly fond of him as an actor, but he isn't performing Shakespeare either. He isn't a very dynamic performer and tends to be the same person in most roles. But that doesn't necessarily have to be a negative thing. He's been in a lot of good movies. It sort of reminds me of Kevin Costner.
 

Xerous

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
977
Reaction score
371
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
American Hustle- Looks interesting I just might watch it.

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty-Looks promising can't to see it although I wonder if I should watch the original first.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
  • Like
Reactions: xi0

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Gonna go see Star Trek : Into Darkness in an IMAX Planetarium theater today. :hee
Good luck. \o Wasn't that bad though.
Seen Oblivion, shouldn't have. döh So much I've already seen about a dozen times over the last twenty years already. I would have appreciated less CGI, more actors or at least let those have some kind of personality or character and maybe some real interaction, not this boring thing I've wasted my time on. It all seemed like a big budged indie movie.
I think I saw this movie with Charles, his brother, and their friend. The movie as a whole was irrelevant, considering the ending. :\ Not worth the time.


I'm interested in The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. The title is so familiar, I think there's a book out? Must have read it for school years ago. Liked the trailer though, when it showed before Wolverine. Wolverine was a good film, but I enjoy seeing Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, like RDJ as Tony Stark. \o/
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,178
Reaction score
30,220
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I'm interested in The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. The title is so familiar, I think there's a book out? Must have read it for school years ago. Liked the trailer though, when it showed before Wolverine. Wolverine was a good film, but I enjoy seeing Hugh Jackman as Wolverine, like RDJ as Tony Stark. \o/
It's a remake...
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
What is?
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
It was a short story, and I believe Wikipedia because I recall now. We read it in class. How was the original movie?
 

zelllogan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 8, 2005
Messages
2,205
Reaction score
1,001
Age
42
Gender
Male
Country
Belgium
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, it's a remake of a movie from the 40s
Ben Stiller's attempt to get an oscar.
It reminds me of his character in tropic thunder :).
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I just watched "Bronson" for the first time and Tom Hardy is f**king awesome in this one. I recommend it.
 

danzouismadara

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Dec 26, 2008
Messages
2,951
Reaction score
640
Gender
Male
Country
United States
does anyone know when the final terminator film is coming out?
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
does anyone know when the final terminator film is coming out?
June 2015 seems to be the current release date. It will also be a stand alone trilogy.

---------- Post added at 03:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

Some interview notes with X-Men DOFP director Bryan Singer, which explains how he believes they were able to bring back Professor X to the movie and not Cyclops:

Thoughts on Cyclops demise in X3: Wishes he could bring him back. Wasn't happy with that choice. Could justify bringing Xavier back because he transferred his consciousness and could possibly construct a body around that consciousness. Was however, happy about some things- like the casting of Ellen Page.
 

Xerous

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2009
Messages
977
Reaction score
371
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
New Trailer for Enders Game


Lone Survivor

 
Last edited by a moderator:

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Seen Man of Tai Chi a couple days ago, was mediocre as expected, but fine nonetheless with a couple of good fights. Keanu has very little screen time despite being one of the lead characters, a lot was predictable with that kind of beginning, and his characters looks completely different from the promo pics on imdb. :D
 

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Just saw the trailer for "The Butler" and it seems to have Oscar written all over it. Haven't heard of it at all till about 10 min ago and saw the trailer just to check out what it was about.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top