Mag Talk Bessatsu Shonen Magazine

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Besides SnK and Aku no Hana (successful comparing with the rest), all the successful series were transferred to the weekly magazine...
Well, the only actual success (?) series that has move to weekly is Kamisama no Iutohri. Except that, basically BSM didn't able to produce any hit series.
 

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Well, the only actual success (?) series that has move to weekly is Kamisama no Iutohri. Except that, basically BSM didn't able to produce any hit series.
Wagatsuma-san wa Ore no Yome
Kimi o Mawashitai.
..

They didn't change magazines just because, they did for being well received series.

On hit series.. SnK is a huge hit. Besides One piece it's the biggest thing out there. So it did produce a hit series.
 
Last edited:

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Wagatsuma-san wa Ore no Yome
Kimi o Mawashitai.
..
Wagatsuma-san is from Magazine Special, not BSM.

Plus, we're not really sure if Kimi o Mawashitai is popular or not. It can become like MacMillan no Joshi Yakyuu-bu.
 

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Wagatsuma-san is from Magazine Special, not BSM. [/B].
I see, my mistake in this case.

------------------
Coulomb Fille looked interesting, sad to see it go.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
On hit series.. SnK is a huge hit. Besides One piece it's the biggest thing out there. So it did produce a hit series.
Yeah, I know. SnK is basically just feeding this magazine by itself, if it wasn't for SnK, this magazine should experience very, very hard time. Right now, we should better to call this magazine as Bessatsu Shingeki no Kyojin than Bessatsu Shounen Magazine. :teehee

Plus, that's basically what BSM all has and it didn't able to produce any hit series beside SnK, Doubutsu no Kuni, Aku no Hana, and Sankarea. I'm not expecting BSM to produce another mega-hit series SnK, but they should produce something more like AnH's level of hit series.
 
Last edited:

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Considering what Doubutsu no Kuni sold, I wouldn't say it was a hit.

Taking in account the mangaka behind it (the most well know one, from all the initial line up together with the school rumble guy I suppose), I'm sure they were expecting better sales. I don't read Sankarea anymore, but AnH doesn't have much more life in it (my favorite series in the magazine btw) it will end soon enough...

SnK made the circulation increase a lot, now it's the time to start new series (I'm guessing this is what the editors are thinking). Bringing successful mangaka sure helps.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
It's a low circulation, specialty magazine. With a few exceptions, Bestumag focuses on fantasy, supernatural, and sci-fi manga. I doubt their definition of success is as lofty, and narrow, as discussion here. I've lost count of how many monthly shounen magazines Kodansha publishes. Monthly Shounen Magazine, Magazine Special, Shounen Sirius, Betsumag, and whatever replaces Rival. Only Monthly Shounen Magazine is high circulation. I am not sure any, except Betsumag, have significant bestsellers at the moment. Monthly Shomag might. Betsumag suddenly focusing on bestsellers would probably be business suicide when much higher circulation Kodansha magazines (Weekly Shomag, Morning, Monthly Shomag) are not particularly focused on cultivating "hits".
 
Last edited:

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Shonen sirius has Yozakura Quartet, one Snk spin off and they use the magazine to make manga adaptations of anime.

On Monthly Shonen Magazine they have a few mid hits.
Mashiro no Oto
Noragami
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
SnK made the circulation increase a lot, now it's the time to start new series (I'm guessing this is what the editors are thinking). Bringing successful mangaka sure helps.
Yeah, that already happened since last year when SnK's anime started. Since then, I see BSM basically started new series on every issues (sometimes even two); but, so far, nothing much really happened.

Plus, the magazine circulation did increase because of SnK, but do you think the readers going to buy the magazine to read the other series? I think the readers just buy this magazine for the sake of SnK, that's about it.
 

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Yeah, that already happened since last year when SnK's anime started. Since then, I see BSM basically started new series on every issues (sometimes even two); but, so far, nothing much really happened.

Plus, the magazine circulation did increase because of SnK, but do you think the readers going to buy the magazine to read the other series? I think the readers just buy this magazine for the sake of SnK, that's about it.
Being there opens that possibility at least. Seeing something like ''new series starting'' might make people read that series (humans are curious by nature).
 

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I've been buying the physical magazine since it came out so I could keep track of Doubutsu no Kuni and scan all the color pages. The number of pages in the magazine varies a hell of a lot. Like by 50% or so.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
humans are curious by nature
Not sure, I think people are more curious to see the new SnK chapter than the new series.

---------- Post added at 11:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 AM ----------

Like by 50% or so.
You mean there are lots of color pages in per issue?
 

TXC

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2011
Messages
930
Reaction score
188
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
Not sure, I think people are more curious to see the new SnK chapter than the new series.
I didn't say the contrary, they wouldn't buy the magazine in the first place if it wasn't for that.
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I didn't say the contrary, they wouldn't buy the magazine in the first place if it wasn't for that.
For Japanese fans, they are willing to spent tons of money for their favorites than trying new things.
 
Last edited:

kewl0210

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 27, 2006
Messages
1,390
Reaction score
1,902
Gender
Male
Country
United States
No I mean the total pages in the magazine varies from like 300-600 pages. I don't really keep track of the series besides like 2-5 at any given time, though. Tons do begin and end. I dunno if they're meant to be short-term manga or they just see space in the magazine as extremely valuable seeing as the magazine is up-and-coming and people want to be seen alongside Shingeki and the other couple of popular series.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Save us Mashima.
Why him? Fairy tail and or Rave were only modest hits at best. At least if you're going to ask a mangaka to save a mangazine shouldn't you ask for someone who's a bit bigger? (And not busy in two different magazines anyway?)

I was hesitatting on whether I should buy the tanks too but if it's only 3 of them I'll definity have them imported here. The series was a really nice read... A bit weird though.
I've only read the first chapter, but Fukuchi featured the series a lot on his twitter. It seems he and the mangaka for Lovers are friends or something. I like what I saw of the first chapter though and I hate buying a single volume of manga (was gonna buy Anagle's finale this month, So I may throw in three volumes of Fujimi.)
 

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I dunno if they're meant to be short-term manga or they just see space in the magazine as extremely valuable seeing as the magazine is up-and-coming and people want to be seen alongside Shingeki and the other couple of popular series.
For me, I feel like the editors are being really hesitate to look for new hit series because as Isayama stated that SnK will have a total of 20 volumes (already over half), like I think ending five series at the same time isn't really a normal thing.
 
Last edited:

Blader

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 13, 2013
Messages
274
Reaction score
8
Gender
Male
Country
Thailand
Why him? Fairy tail and or Rave were only modest hits at best. At least if you're going to ask a mangaka to save a mangazine shouldn't you ask for someone who's a bit bigger? (And not busy in two different magazines anyway?)
Who in Kodansha is bigger than Mashima. I thought he's one of biggest name in Kodansha already.

---------- Post added at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

Well, Clamp is. but they're busy writing Gate7 and xxxholic Rei.
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Who in Kodansha is bigger than Mashima. I thought he's one of biggest name in Kodansha already.
Well the original poster didn't specify Kodansha, so I was really asking why they'd limit it to just him. I guess within Kodansha he is pretty notable.
 
Last edited:

Kaizou 10

Banned
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jul 12, 2013
Messages
2,572
Reaction score
2,467
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Well, Clamp is. but they're busy writing Gate7 and xxxholic Rei.
Actually, they are busy working on Drug & Drop and xxxHolic (Gate 7 is currently in hiatus).
 
Top