Discussion What Are You Reading? What Do You Plan on Reading Next?

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
For some reason I picked up Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei manga. Usually not a big fan of manga adaptation of a light novel, but there's no harm in trying. At least I'll have something to rant over by the time I catch up with it.

I also read Sekkachi Hakusaku too.
 

Kaiten

Harasho
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Aug 20, 2007
Messages
27,293
Reaction score
15,166
Gender
Hidden
Country
Abu Dhabi
For some reason I picked up Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei manga. Usually not a big fan of manga adaptation of a light novel, but there's no harm in trying. At least I'll have something to rant over by the time I catch up with it.
The manga version is pretty bad. They butcher the tone pretty badly, especially how they handle Tatsuya. The comic format also slows the action down too much. Speed, precision, and execution are important part of the story. Certain scenes are supposed to happen in the blink of an eye. Drawing them out frame by frame kills the way the story is paced. It's better to stick with the light novels, or wait for the anime. It does not help that the manga is currently only adapting volume three and four of a twelve volume novel.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The only thing the mahouka manga does well is make a good display for magic explanations, but for most of the LN readers coming into it it is kind of pointless.
 

Demonspeed

The Bull
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Global Moderator
Joined
Apr 30, 2012
Messages
47,673
Reaction score
61,374
Gender
Male
Country
France
Well, I enjoy reading the manga but honestly Tatsuya is not well portrayed. Art is average, and the Yokohama one is...terrible. I will never read something like that. At least it permits me to imagine better some things before the anime adaptation

TO stay on topic: I will catch up with Claymore soon and instead of reading Kingdom, I'll catch up with Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator first. I still think other characters should have got a spin-off though.
 

Kiwippa

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 4, 2014
Messages
50
Reaction score
50
Gender
Female
Country
Finland
I'm trying to catch up on Dorohedoro. Initially the art seemed so messy that I wasn't sure if I understood what was going on, but now I actually like the style and some of the character designs. En's gang is pretty amusing, Ebisu makes me giggle for real.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
Just read Insufficient Direction, about Hideaki Anno and Moyoco Anno's married life. It was pretty funny, though too much depended on the otaku cultural references.

EDIT: I also just finished Thermae Romae. Such a fun series. I really loved it.
 
Last edited:

moniker

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Mar 8, 2014
Messages
31
Reaction score
22
Gender
Female
Country
Philippines
Now currently reading the latest chapters release 54 and 55 of Aku no Hana.

The ones I'm planning to read:

Yaoi/BL

SAHARA Mizu's works

Just read Insufficient Direction, about Hideaki Anno and Moyoco Anno's married life. It was pretty funny, though too much depended on the otaku cultural references.

EDIT: I also just finished Thermae Romae. Such a fun series. I really loved it.
There goes more series to add.
Interesting titles!
 
Last edited:

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
I started the new Weekly Shounen Jump manga Stealth Symphony, has potential, but we shall see.^^
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I finished Magi volume 1, was a boring start initially but picked up once Alibaba appeared. Reading another volume of Seven Deadly Sins (via Crunchyroll Manga) now.
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Finished reading a series that I had started a long time ago, but only yesterday I picked it up again, Seishun Pop. Truthfully the earlier part of this manga was too fanservice-y for my usual taste, but thankfully I endured it. It turns into a decent romance manga, which is somewhat surprising and the ending isn't that bad as well.

I'm also just finished reading Debu to Bijin, generally speaking, I like it despite some scenes which are dull and IMHO can be replaced by another sub-plot that would make the plot meatier.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I catched up with Tower of God, really great manhwa. It will be hard wait every week for a new chapter. I have to point out the quite innovative format, at least for me,brought by the series.
Now, I started Uchuu Kyoudai, after watch the anime I'm looking forward to see everything again, now reading, such a good story.
 

Korean Kuroko

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
210
Reaction score
38
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Puerto Rico
Currently reading Hokuto no Ken.
Will read the following after that:
-Kingdom
-Tokyo Ghoul
Liar Game and Zetman are a maybe.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I finished Bakuman v20 finishing the series out. I also read Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma v1 at work today and reread One Punch Man v1 for the second time.
 

MattC302

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2010
Messages
820
Reaction score
296
Gender
Hidden
Country
Marine Headquarters
I read Nijigahara Holograph since Fantagraphics released it in English. I found it to be kind of unsettling, but very compelling as well.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Starting Tokyo Ghoul, finally, as recommended by naruto niichan. Been eyeing this one, but never was on the priority list.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,071
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Starting Tokyo Ghoul, finally, as recommended by naruto niichan. Been eyeing this one, but never was on the priority list.
Will wait on the anime for that one, I have no idea what to expect.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Will wait on the anime for that one, I have no idea what to expect.
Oh anime? Well, it must be somewhat good if it will be getting an anime, but I dunno, the genre is not the most favorite of mine but I'll see how the start of the manga treats me. I prefer manga over anime when trying things out, but then again all the top anime got me to manga. :XD
 

BulaNe

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 1, 2010
Messages
39
Reaction score
6
Gender
Male
Country
Czech Republic
I don't read manga often lately so I don't really drop a series, I just save it for laters sooo... I finished Shaman (webtoon). IMHO it lacked in depth and story, but surely was an eye candy.
Also finished Blade of the Immortal... speechless. Even tho it had the potential, I'm relieved it wasn't over-the-top gory (it still was gory as hell) like Gantz or sexualized like late Wolf Guy - Ookami no Monshou.
It's been some time since I caught up with Billy Bat and well... I guess Urasawa never disappoints.

I'm not yet decided what to pick next, but it'll be probably xxxHolic and/or Bartender.
 

Josef

Dank Trump
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2010
Messages
10,103
Reaction score
4,938
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Starting Gokusai as well. I can't believe I have missed this visual experience.^^
 

Doraku

Repenting Smut Peddler
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
5,762
Reaction score
1,701
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I'm just finished caught up with the current pace of Munakata Kyouju Denkikou or The Legendary Musings of Professor Munakata. This manga is so meticulous with historical details, though I'm unsure if they're scientifically accurate or not. Nevertheless, if you are interested/familiar with Japanese folklore and mythologies, I really recommend you to read it.
 
Top