Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stark700

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 6, 2013
Messages
1,010
Reaction score
814
Gender
Hidden
Country
Winterfell
Does Jump+ series have tankoubons?
On another note, although it's super early to say, coud the serialization of Cyborg Roggy have also been postponed up til now due to Gintama ending and it being quite fit as a replacement? I find it that this batch up till now is a very strong one and Jump has a lot of hopes riding on it, I hope that I'm correct and we will not see the series dropping like Muddys, especially Kagamigami after the 3rd chapter that introduced an interesting pair of characters.
Yup, http://plus.shonenjump.com/ext/shinkan/index.html

You can see several of them in there.
 

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
Honestly I completely agree with you. This manga is as unique as it gets, I feel like I know about each character more than any other series due to all the situations I see them go through and since it parodies other battle mangas at times, when it has serious arcs, even when tropes like Nakama powerup arises, it's a lot more compelling. Once Gintama ends it will truly be an end of an era, an end which started with the completion of Naruto.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
What is the point in looking for a substitute anyway? Each series has to have its own identity, not be merely a substitute.
 

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
That's correct, but there is no denying that in Jump for instance, part of the magazine's identity was based on Dragonball. That kind of a baton has been passed in all of it's glory to One piece, as a core pillar of the magazine, and as an adventure of freedom and epic dreams. Naruto, all the same, have been an emissary across the world of manga/anime, and Gintama is one of the biggest franchises in Japan. There are people who wouldn't know jack shit about manga/anime but will recognize Gintama characters whe they see them, and it has distincted itself close as to the manga industry's top sellers.

What I meant to say was that Roggy could be the passing of a baton as a series which would symbolyze WSJ to some extent much like Gintama did, or at least I see it as a potential for that.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Nothing will ever replace Gintama.
People thought the same about Naruto and look at how quickly Jump found some new popular battle manga for its spot.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That's correct, but there is no denying that in Jump for instance, part of the magazine's identity was based on Dragonball. That kind of a baton has been passed in all of it's glory to One piece, as a core pillar of the magazine, and as an adventure of freedom and epic dreams. Naruto, all the same, have been an emissary across the world of manga/anime, and Gintama is one of the biggest franchises in Japan. There are people who wouldn't know jack shit about manga/anime but will recognize Gintama characters whe they see them, and it has distincted itself close as to the manga industry's top sellers.

What I meant to say was that Roggy could be the passing of a baton as a series which would symbolyze WSJ to some extent much like Gintama did, or at least I see it as a potential for that.
I see what your saying, though idk if I would say that with a series that only has 1 chapter out

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

People thought the same about Naruto and look at how quickly Jump found some new popular battle manga for its spot.
I dont really think anythings replacing Naruto either

---------- Post added at 05:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:43 PM ----------

Sketdance and psi kusuo did.
alright
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
That's correct, but there is no denying that in Jump for instance, part of the magazine's identity was based on Dragonball. That kind of a baton has been passed in all of it's glory to One piece, as a core pillar of the magazine, and as an adventure of freedom and epic dreams. Naruto, all the same, have been an emissary across the world of manga/anime, and Gintama is one of the biggest franchises in Japan. There are people who wouldn't know jack shit about manga/anime but will recognize Gintama characters whe they see them, and it has distincted itself close as to the manga industry's top sellers.

What I meant to say was that Roggy could be the passing of a baton as a series which would symbolyze WSJ to some extent much like Gintama did, or at least I see it as a potential for that.
Nobody, I repeat, nobody sees One Piece as substitute of Dragon Ball, much the contrary, it sold more than Dragon Ball ever sold and in my opinion (be careful, my opinion) it is by far better than Dragon Ball. One Piece has its own identity, no one can deny that. Naruto is the same, I never saw someone reading Naruto thinking in Dragon Ball. A series starting right after a famous series doesn't mean that they are substituting the series.
Boku no Hero Academia was not Naruto substitute as many people say, it was already popular before Naruto ending and I don't think the end of Naruto had any influence in its success.

In my opinion, you are looking down on Gintama when you compare such a series with one that barely started.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Nobody, I repeat, nobody sees One Piece as substitute of Dragon Ball, much the contrary, it sold more than Dragon Ball ever sold and in my opinion (be careful, my opinion) it is by far better than Dragon Ball. One Piece has its own identity, no one can deny that. Naruto is the same, I never saw someone reading Naruto thinking in Dragon Ball. A series starting right after a famous series doesn't mean that they are substituting the series.
Boku no Hero Academia was not Naruto substitute as many people say, it was already popular before Naruto ending and I don't think the end of Naruto had any influence in its success.

In my opinion, you are looking down on Gintama when you compare such a series with one that barely started.
I thinking the ending of Naruto contributed to the popularity of Boku no Hero.
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
What is the point in looking for a substitute anyway? Each series has to have its own identity, not be merely a substitute.
There is nothing wrong with wanting a replacement for a certain kind of genre, or here certain kind of humor/comedy.

We've had One Piece for Dragonball, now My Hero Academia for Naruto and many other series in the history of Jump filling the gap of another one.

Nobody, I repeat, nobody sees One Piece as substitute of Dragon Ball, much the contrary,

it sold more than Dragon Ball ever sold and in my opinion (be careful, my opinion) it is by far better than Dragon Ball. One Piece has its own identity, no one can deny that. Naruto is the same, I never saw someone reading Naruto thinking in Dragon Ball.

A series starting right after a famous series doesn't mean that they are substituting the series.
Boku no Hero Academia was not Naruto substitute as many people say, it was already popular before Naruto ending and I don't think the end of Naruto had any influence in its success.
People sure fucking did so, you simply are to young too young to see it.

Sales have no place in this argument, like none at all. Dragonball was the top selling manga before One Piece, before OP got a massive push through Strong World and it's world wide fanbase, the general increase of international manga sales.

Doesn't have to, but to say Jump won't try to find something to fill a gap is nothing but asinine from their point of view as a business.
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I thinking the ending of Naruto contributed to the popularity of Boku no Hero.
Boku no Hero Academia placing ahead Naruto in its first ranking and then getting good positions after this was merely coincidence.
It is minus one to compete, but it is true for any series. Everybody is competing there.

There is nothing wrong with wanting a replacement for a certain kind of genre, or here certain kind of humor/comedy.

We've had One Piece for Dragonball, now My Hero Academia for Naruto and many other series in the history of Jump filling the gap of another one.
Replacement for genre, not for series. I don't reading a series thinking in another, not at all.
I didn't start reading Boku no Hero Academia because Naruto ended. It is not how the mind of the readers work.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Boku no Hero Academia placing ahead Naruto in its first ranking and then getting good positions after this was merely coincidence.
It is minus one to compete, but it is true for any series. Everybody is competing there.


Replacement for genre, not for series. I don't reading a series thinking in another, not at all.
I didn't start reading Boku no Hero Academia because Naruto ended. It is not how the mind of the readers work.
I don't think it's what made it popular in jump, I think it contributed, a lot of people did move to BnH because Naruto ended
 

Schabrak

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jan 1, 2006
Messages
7,202
Reaction score
2,304
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Replacement for genre, not for series. I don't reading a series thinking in another, not at all.
I didn't start reading Boku no Hero Academia because Naruto ended. It is not how the mind of the readers work.
I don't think anyone ever argued that they would see a series as a direct replacement of how you worded it. Of course it will only act as an surrogate for a specific genre/kind of series and not something like a spin off/follow up/sequel. That's impossible to begin with, a paradoxical chain of thought.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I don't think it's what made it popular in jump, I think it contributed, a lot of people did move to BnH because Naruto ended
No offense here, but they are crazy people. You don't have to choose, you can read both, principally Japanese people who buy the magazine. If they buy the magazine just to read one series, it is better borrow it from someone or read hidden in the convinience store. And apparently Boku no Hero Academia didn't have problems to get votes while Naruto was in the magazine since it didn't went out of the top 5 in any moment IIRC. So, it didn't directly impact I believe.
 
Last edited:

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
No offense here, but they are crazy people. You don't have to choose, you can read both, principally Japanese people who buy the magazine. If they buy the magazine just to read one series, it is better borrow it from someone or read hidden in the convinience store. And apparently Boku no Hero Academia didn't have problems to get votes while Naruto was in the magazine since it didn't went out of the top 5 in any moment IIRC. So, it didn't directly impact I believe.
Im sure you know how crazy people were about Naruto, its the most popular series in the world lol. Yeah people in that fandom are crazy once Naruto ended, they wanted to find a replacement. Thats also part of the reason people constantly compare the series
 

NiNoZaPo

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 18, 2013
Messages
15
Reaction score
6
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
I'm sorry if someone discus or mention this before, but do you guys kinda think Hero Academia might be the next Hitman Reborn? I know for a fact it's not replacing Naruto nor One Piece, but from the ranking and famdom the series have gotten over in the past months, this series might be the next Hitman Reborn.
In other words, very popular but not popular enough to become, "The Big 3".
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Im sure you know how crazy people were about Naruto, its the most popular series in the world lol. Yeah people in that fandom are crazy once Naruto ended, they wanted to find a replacement. Thats also part of the reason people constantly compare the series
I prefer not comment the mental state of Naruto fans. :lmao
Compare what? They are completely different. :o

I'm sorry if someone discus or mention this before, but do you guys kinda think Hero Academia might be the next Hitman Reborn? I know for a fact it's not replacing Naruto nor One Piece, but from the ranking and famdom the series have gotten over in the past months, this series might be the next Hitman Reborn.
In other words, very popular but not popular enough to become, "The Big 3".
Boku no Hero Academia had One Piece performance in its first volumes and very good rankings. I don't know what you meant. lol
It has everything TO BE the next great success in Jump. There is no evidence that it is popularity will decrease anytime soon. lol

Really, explain yourself better...
 
Last edited:

Bigivelfhq

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 22, 2013
Messages
846
Reaction score
501
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Portugal
First,
Dragon Ball ended in May of 1995, issue 25!
One Piece started in July of 1997, issue 34!
This is 2 years of difference!
During that time the magazine had Rurouni Kenshin as pillar if we're only talking of battle manga, and Slam Dunk if we're talking of any series.
One Piece in no way substituted Dragon Ball in the magazine.

Second,
Boku no Hero is doing better than Naruto during the same time.
Naruto 2 years before its end was ranking around the 4th and 5th place.
Boku no Hero started 18 issues before Naruto ending.
Naruto ending was announced 3 or 4 chapters before its definitive ending. At that point Boku no Hero Academia had already 3 center colors, and ranked: 5,3,1,4,2.
Kishimoto announced in July of 2013, 1.5 years before the ending, that the title was in its final phase. 19 new series started between that time and there is no indication of increase of popularity of any of them.
What is here the definition of "Substitute Naruto"? Being the current 2nd most popular battle manga in the magazine? If that is the case is a strange way to saying that.
People that are looking for a Naruto substitution is something of the west. Just like the Big 3 definition. Not a magazine definition.

I don't understand why people talk a lot that Boku no Hero is a substitute for Naruto, but nobody talks that Hinomaru Zumou is a substitute for Kuroko no Basket.

Now the thing here is that people are merging their, reading substitutes series(ending a certain series and going to the other) and the magazine substitution of a series.
This are 2 totally different things.
Also given that magazine readers had already read the content of 2 volumes of Boku no Hero Academia before Naruto ending, it wouldn't be much of a substitution. For the people that only read volumes could be. But those people have nothing to do with the magazine.
Between One Piece and Dragon Ball we're talking of a period equivalent of 8 to 10 volumes worth of content. That is more than the size of One Piece Dressrossa arc.

---------- Post added at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

I don't think it's what made it popular in jump, I think it contributed, a lot of people did move to BnH because Naruto ended
IN THE WEST! in other words THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MAGAZINE WSJ!
 
Last edited:

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
IN THE WEST! in other words THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE MAGAZINE WSJ!
Yeah I live in the west, thats pretty much what I meant lol.

---------- Post added at 07:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

I'm sorry if someone discus or mention this before, but do you guys kinda think Hero Academia might be the next Hitman Reborn? I know for a fact it's not replacing Naruto nor One Piece, but from the ranking and famdom the series have gotten over in the past months, this series might be the next Hitman Reborn.
In other words, very popular but not popular enough to become, "The Big 3".
Well the "Big 3" will always be Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach, so I dont understand what you mean. If your saying that the series will never be as popular as those 3 but as popular as Reborn, im sure Boku no Hero has better debuts then Naruto, Bleach and Reborn. I dont think it will ever reach One Piece popularity, I think Naruto popularity in the country of Japan isn't that much of a reach
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top