Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2015-2016] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
need to catch up on MHA badly, the procrastination is too real. Sasuke shiden arc over I heard too.. haven't watched 487 yet
If you're into shonen action manga then MHA would be a massive recommendation from me. It's one of the best executed series of it's type I've ever read.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
MHA is a good series, but it does have it's faults. For me personally, the MC is almost unbearable. I don't like his powers, or his personality. I know that's an unpopular opinion around here, but for me personally, I can't really devote myself to a series unless I like the MC.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Yeah, Midoriya cannot be called the best protagonist by far, he is not that appealing for me either, there are many characters there that are much better and I read mostly because of them. I really would like the series more if Horikoshi focused more on the many characters with a lot of potential that the manga has, but Midoriya is the protagonist so I cannot complain about the story focusing on him.
Other thing that make me nervous is when Horikoshi tries to explain the villains' minds. He is not good at IMO.
 

HIGAN0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,880
Country
Eyrie
i really don't care about Midoriya & Bakugou rivalry, i want Horikoshi to give more screen time to all the cast in class 1-A......
 

Felcis

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
150
Reaction score
243
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
People really dislike Midoriya? I think that he is a damn good MC, because he is very inspiring with his idealistic nature while still being smart enough to make the right choices. His powers might not be that interesting, but they are paired with a clever strategic mind and have a cool backstory, so his fights are still very entertaining.
Sure there are more interesting characters in the series, but Midoriya should be compared to the MCs of other shonen-battle series and, aside from WorldTrigger's Osamu (if you consider him the MC) and maybe SnS's Soma, I can't think of many in the recent time that work as well as him.
That being said, I honestly find the MCs of most series in the genre (including the old "Big3" and most older "huge successes") either uninteresting or very annoying. I got used to just look past that, as long as the rest works out.
 

HIGAN0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,880
Country
Eyrie
Midoriya is good character,but he still the same after Sports Festival arc.........no development
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I actually really like Izuku for the same reasons as stated above. In terms of his rivalry with Bakugou... I personally thought it was well done. I'm very satisfied with the end of the main bulk of their troubled relationship. I understand that people are tired by the typical rivalry though.

The motivations behind the villains is an interesting point. I do agree that other than Stain, and possibly Shigaraki, most villains feel vague, and underwhelming in their motivations(especially AFO, although I think he's intentional). Though, a theme of the series is that the main villains grow and mature as much as the students do. I really like that dynamic, and is why the competition between Izuku and Shigaraki intrigues me so much.

Maybe I'm just a fanboy, I dunno. MHA has become that drug series for me ever since it started. I need my weekly dosage.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
MHA is a good series, but it does have it's faults. For me personally, the MC is almost unbearable. I don't like his powers, or his personality. I know that's an unpopular opinion around here, but for me personally, I can't really devote myself to a series unless I like the MC.
this is basically why I haven't followed OP in 8 or so years. I really like Zoro, Robin, Nami, Sanji but Luffy besides being funny blows me in every fashion imaginable... it's bad cause my favorite characters in shonens are usually the MC (Goku, Ash, Yugi, Yusuke, Naruto, Natsu, Ichigo). Just turns you off when the person you can't really bear the most is always shown. Fortunately for MHA, I really like the MC from what I've read so far.
 

Kadir0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 26, 2016
Messages
909
Reaction score
1,475
Country
The Wall
And I like Luffy kinda protagonists, I mean compared to likes of Izuku and Naruto, he wouldn't have taken shit from Bakugou or Sasuke, he doesn't follow that shonen cliche route where you have to sympathize a rival that has been dick to you in your whole life, he will treat you back the way you treat him.
 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
To me Midoriya only loses to Ippo (from Hajime no Ippo = Fighting Spirit) as the most unberable and annoying MC of all.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
His powers might not be that interesting, but they are paired with a clever strategic mind
But he's NOT clever. His tactics are repetitive and even his "big breakthrough" was extremely banal. It also doesn't help that in a series with some really creative powers, his is just physical enhancement. The other problem I have with the series as a whole is that it's too...entrenched. Like... there was a whole arc where all the kids became apprentices, but it only lasted for one arc and then it was just "back to doing things at the school!" and then they recently had this "get a license" exam, but then everyone who failed the exam it was like "well you'll join everyone who got a license anyway and then get a chance to get a license then." So yeah, it's not just the MC, but he is a major contributor. I think it's a good series, but it's not really a favorite of mine or anything.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Can we just agree that every Shonen MC is gonna get hated and loved by many. The only ones I see that are widely Loved by damn near everyone is Goku and Yusuke.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I agree with most of the critics... My Hero Academia is for me a series of ups and downs, it gets really interesting some times, but very boring in others... That's why I don't like mangas with overly big crews since the beginning, you see so much potential, but the author just don't have time to give to you what you expect, so it becomes kind of dull... Present the character gradually is what I think it is best.
Another complain, of course, is that Toga has a small screen time. Bring back Toga! XD
My Hero Academia will be like wine, really... It will become better while aging... The characters will be presented decently and it will gain depth.

Luffy is a single-minded character and I like it. You can see why all those fucking awesome members of his crew respect him.
 

IHateAsta

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
81
Reaction score
60
Age
30
Country
United Arab Emirates
I rarely like any MC , the only ones I like are : Kenshin , Toriko and Medaka .. Rikou and Tsuna I like them only in their "alternative mode" , the others are ok , bad or disgusting .. cough -Ichigo and Dumbsta- cough .
 

Felcis

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 19, 2007
Messages
150
Reaction score
243
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Can we just agree that every Shonen MC is gonna get hated and loved by many. The only ones I see that are widely Loved by damn near everyone is Goku and Yusuke.
I do think that Goku is really boring and one-dimensional... :P
But that's Dragonball as a whole for your (at least after the genre-shift) and that's alright, if you consider its age.

Overall you are right, of course. I was just surprised of all the Deku-criticism, because I think he is a very well executed example of his type of main-character. And yes, I also really like his rivalry, because Bakugo, for all his flaws and antics, shows quite a bit of depth and growth. He is a character that should usually be unlikable as hell, but somehow he really works (for me and many I know, anyway). Admittedly, though, his dickishness in the beginning was maybe a bit too heavy-handed...

@IHateAsta: Of course, Kenshin was also a great MC. Pretty different from the usual in the genre.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Of course the fanbase gives it too much credit, it's a popular battle shounen with a recent anime. Praising the new series as the best thing in years is just part 2 of the cycle.

Now we wait another year or two for everyone to hate it.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I do think that Goku is really boring and one-dimensional... :P
But that's Dragonball as a whole for your (at least after the genre-shift) and that's alright, if you consider its age.

Overall you are right, of course. I was just surprised of all the Deku-criticism, because I think he is a very well executed example of his type of main-character. And yes, I also really like his rivalry, because Bakugo, for all his flaws and antics, shows quite a bit of depth and growth. He is a character that should usually be unlikable as hell, but somehow he really works (for me and many I know, anyway). Admittedly, though, his dickishness in the beginning was maybe a bit too heavy-handed...

@IHateAsta: Of course, Kenshin was also a great MC. Pretty different from the usual in the genre.
I agree. I find Deku a grear Shonen MC personally. And I think his rivalry with Bakugo is one of the better Shonen rivalries. I rank it right behind Goku and Vegeta
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Just started binge watching Ginyama and this series is amazing. I'm mad that I got into it so late
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I want more supporting character like Yoruichi Himura. On that note, does anyone know what happen to Riichiro Inagaki? Wikipedia can only give me so much.

Kyōsuke Shikijō is greatest MC in WSJ ever, nuff said. :cheez:verily:teehee:derp

Props to whoever recognize the name without googling.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Of course the fanbase gives it too much credit, it's a popular battle shounen with a recent anime. Praising the new series as the best thing in years is just part 2 of the cycle.

Now we wait another year or two for everyone to hate it.
That's obvious but it applies more so with MHA.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top