Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Finally from the Kimetsu spoilers, the fight is coming to a close.

This fight was dragged out too long. I may of appreciated it more if the release schedule for the chapter was more consistent.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Horikoshi with that shoutout to Devilman Crybaby. He's supposedly on his third watch through.

That Yuuna poster is honestly pushing the limit of what's doable in a shounen magazine. Its almost definitely going to become the subject of a big column in a major newspaper next week similar to how the lead color page was last time.
 

nonowa

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
222
Reaction score
141
Age
36
Country
Mexico
People in the Jump Survival Thread in 5ch seem to think Act-Age is interesting; their main worry seems to be the art, that it might not the tastes of Jump's readership.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Horikoshi with that shoutout to Devilman Crybaby. He's supposedly on his third watch through.

That Yuuna poster is honestly pushing the limit of what's doable in a shounen magazine. Its almost definitely going to become the subject of a big column in a major newspaper next week similar to how the lead color page was last time.
Well, I enjoyed watching Crybaby, it was nice seeing Devilman get more attention, since it's such an influential series. I somehow missed looking at the Yuuna poster and all I can say is, HOLY SHIT. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Oh, found the Act-Age raw.

https://netabare.city/archives/16212

I know what they mean when they talked about the art. The backgrounds are basically late Kubo-tier in a bad way. Seems reminiscent of Glass Mask otherwise, which is good.
Wow the art is really nice. It reminds me of Light Novel art, especially the Monogatari series. There is room for improvement and I'm sure this artist will improve.

Edit: I don't see why Jump readers wouldn't be fine with the art style.
 

nonowa

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2017
Messages
222
Reaction score
141
Age
36
Country
Mexico
I'd say that the expressions are really good so a manga about acting is a nice fit for her. Her main weakness is the backgrounds, but I believe they could get her an assistant to help her with that later on.
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Oh, found the Act-Age raw.

https://netabare.city/archives/16212

I know what they mean when they talked about the art. The backgrounds are basically late Kubo-tier in a bad way. Seems reminiscent of Glass Mask otherwise, which is good.
Eh, going off of the flow of the chapters panels I personally don't think that this will stick around for to long after is starts getting ranked. Don't get me wrong it looks like it be a good read, but it comes across more of a Shojo-ish series and I'm not to sure how readers in Japan will feel about the series.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I'd say that the expressions are really good so a manga about acting is a nice fit for her. Her main weakness is the backgrounds, but I believe they could get her an assistant to help her with that later on.
Exactly, or she might be going for a minimalist look, (but I doubt it? I don't know). You can really see all the attention goes to the characters, their expressions and gestures.

I don't know if this is intentional or not, but because the backgrounds are done in a minimalist fashion, the attention is always drawn to the main character or the characters that are in the panel.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Oh, found the Act-Age raw.

https://netabare.city/archives/16212

I know what they mean when they talked about the art. The backgrounds are basically late Kubo-tier in a bad way. Seems reminiscent of Glass Mask otherwise, which is good.
I thought the character artwork was really good, but the backgrounds (or lack thereof) need some work. The character artwork reminds me a bit of a less cutesy Tenshi to Akuto!! over in Weekly Shonen Sunday. This is one of my favorite series over there, so I'm probably a bit biased. However, I'd say this one definitely has a significantly greater hurdle to overcome than most new Jump series do. I'll reserve judgement until I can see the dialogue, but hopefully the author will get an assistant that can produce some quality backgrounds to match the good character designs.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Does anyone have a direct link to the Yuuna poster? I want to see what the big deal is about, and that Twitter link absolutely refuses to load for me.
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
Does anyone have a direct link to the Yuuna poster? I want to see what the big deal is about, and that Twitter link absolutely refuses to load for me.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Wow. I'm lost for words. I was looking at the comments and thinking "nothing can be that extreme" but oh wow.
But the negative attention that the series gets from such stuff is probably what the mangaka and editor are trying to use to their advantage. Which I think is smart. They surely know this is gonna create some sort of buzz in a bad way.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Yuuna Poster is whacked and Act Age is kinda cool. I hate the backstory though.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Act Age is kinda cool. I hate the backstory though.
Was her backstory basically just
that her mother died and now she is taking care of her younger siblings?
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
For fuck's sake, Houshin Engi's remake is atrocious, how unfortunate (after looking at episode 2). I hope the Japanese fans don't eat this crap up. I don't get the logic behind this remake. With Jojo and HxH it made sense in one way or another and they both got great re-adaptations and we got the everyone wins type of scenario. With this, even if they made it as a cashgrab for the hardcore fans it doesn't make any sense since this adaptation just disrespects the manga(again) and it will make those hardcore fans angry.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top