Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Say what you want about Quentin Tarantino these days.

But... that cast for Once Upon in Hollywood, man.

Al Pacino, Brad Pitt, Leo DiCaprio, Margot Robbie, Kurt Russell, Burt Reynolds, Michael Madsen, Tim Roth, Timothy Olyphant, Damian Lewis, Dakota Fanning..

Also, Luke Perry, Emile Hirsch, Clifton Collins Jr, Zoe Bell...

Now let’s just hope the script is up to par and this could be good.

I haven't heard much about QT's next film, but I had no idea this was the title and the cast for this upcoming feature. I also, agree that the script and story will hopefully match all this greatness. Looking forward to this one.
 

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I love this kurt russell add to the casting lately...
He fills those bruce willis parts nicely you are so used to seeing in a QT movie.
I think thats what kill bill lacked....some bruce:XD
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Those aren't the same thing though. Bashing an actor for whatever reason isn't the same thing as viewing writing as being lazy/inconsequential/pandering. And this does come off as you sweeping all criticism under the rug by saying "fans complain about anything". I mean, of course they do, but that says nothing about the actual topic.
If you're talking about Rose's character being written horribly, as well as her romance with Finn and their quest, then I agree. Shitty writing, and it made me abhor Rose. I have no problem with saying the two movies are questionable. I'm just not a fan of attacking the actresses themselves for things out of their control.


Solo was way better and enjoyable than Rogue One for me, honestly. ALso saw Ocean's 8, and while it started out pretty well, it ended flaccidly.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Saw The Return yesterday, by Andrey Zvyagintsev. You might know him from his recent two films, Leviathan (2014) and Loveless (2017), which were both final contenders for Best Foreign Film at the Oscars.

I saw all of those but The Return is easily my favorite one so far. Really powerful drama with a lot of striking imagery and soundtrack.

First movie I've seen this month though, I'm falling behind D:
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The Incredibles 2 8 / 10

Keep this brief and to the point. Solid sequel that picks up where the original left off. The new characters didn't do much for me, but the nostalgia of seeing the original characters again and the situation in front of them was entertaining. The plot of the villain could've been for Syndrome in the first film, but whatever. Way better than Cars 3. :hi
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire

This looks dope. And such a cast. I enjoyed the previous two films, and this seems like it will be even more enjoyable. King Ghidora gave me the chills.
 

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States

This looks dope. And such a cast. I enjoyed the previous two films, and this seems like it will be even more enjoyable. King Ghidora gave me the chills.
That Mothra:zomg
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
Godzilla (2014) and what's the other one?

You don't mean the 1998 Godzilla right?! :notamused

Kong Skull Island. It's a shared universe.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Not like they are like really good films, but imo very entertaining disaster/war/kaiju/adventure films.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,850
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just saw The Meg, and I loved it.:XD

Pretty sure it was a bad movie but it was a "good" bad movie. The perfect "walk into a theater on a hot summer day and walk out with a smile" movie. With all the stuff you expect from such movies. Big monsters. People getting eaten. Highly questionable emergency planning. A lot of scenes your unsure whether were intended to be comedy or drama but were fun regardless.

It wasn't a good movie but it was a good time. :pleased

Kong Skull Island. It's a shared universe.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Not like they are like really good films, but imo very entertaining disaster/war/kaiju/adventure films.
Glad somebody else loved Kong. I thought the movie was great. It was such a great popcorn movie.
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
What's everyone's favourite 2018 movie so far? I haven't seen many so that's why I'm askin', and it never hurts to add movies to a watchlist. Mine is Annihalation which I want to re-watch.

One on my watchlist is You Were Never Really Here, Lynne Ramsay's next film after We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011). From what I'm told this isn't a movie to take lightly so despite wanting to see it I won't exactly rush to do so. IIRC this movie was mentioned in the thread before.

Did catch Happy End. Was alright, but not exactly a memorable Haneke film. I didn't love Amour so much either. Cache is one of my fave movies though.

I saw The Piano (1993) in a theater this week which was a treat. I've seen it many years ago. Totally forgot how good Anna Paquin was in this, as well as the ending.

I watched a few horror movies too.
Hereditary - I don't like it as much as others, still a good horror movie. Collette will win stuff.
Raw - A coming of age story... with gore and cannibalism. This is worth seeing for sure, the cover might put you off.
Don't Look Now - Been wanting to see this since the first time I saw In Bruges. This was a great movie. The first 5-10 mins or so especially. The ending threw me too.

More horror - Trailer for Suspiria (2018)
Looks good. Someone in the comments noted the difference in colour to the 1977 movie, which is true/obvious. I'm not exactly sure on terminology... the original was 'strong' with it's colours, while the remake uses a more 'dull' palette. I'm meaning colour use to express or highlight moods and the like, so I'm just assuming for the trailer. I'm wondering how it'll change the movie; the original was kinda trippy due to the colour scheme, and the score as well.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,850
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Honestly, thinking about it, it would have to be one of the two big superhero movies for me. Avengers Infinity War or Deadpool 2. Which seems ridiculous but of the movies I've seen this year those are my two favorites. I haven't seen Annihilation though and I want to

I'm looking forward to Overlord when it comes around too.

 
Last edited:

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I'm looking forward to Overlord when it comes around too.
As if war wasn't horrifying enough. :onoz:onoz:onoz
I'm getting a serious 'Castle Wolfenstein' vibe from that clip. :popcorn
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,850
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
As if war wasn't horrifying enough. :onoz:onoz:onoz
I'm getting a serious 'Castle Wolfenstein' vibe from that clip. :popcorn
I had somehow missed that it was going to be a horror movie. Like, I thought it was just another WW2 flick then like 30 seconds into the trailer it dawned on me what it was.:XD

Another movie coming up that I really want to believe in with all my heart and soul is the the Shane Black Predator movie. I don't though. I really don't. The original Predator movie is one of my all time favorites. But the trailer..


I'm going to see it regardless but it just does not look good to me.

The problem is, for the Predator to work as a concept, I think you need to pit the human equivalent against him. It's inherently a movie for your charismatic action hero types. Your need an Arnold or a Sly Stallone to pull it off. Because the point should be to seem like the ultimate alien predator faces off against the ultimate human badass. And I feel like movies right now don't have those guys.

Who can you even cast as a charismatic military type one man army these days?
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Yea that doesn't look good. The level of testosterone seems waaay below the threshold for success. Some vagina joke vs 'goddamn sexual Tyrannosaurus'... And ofc no Arnie, which to be fair is an insurmountable task for this movie. I'll probably see it too but I'm thinking of it along the lines of Alien v Predator than the original, when that evolved predator came in I thought it was an alien.

I'll try Infinity War when it comes out on DVD.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Blackkklansman 9 / 10 O0

The overall story behind this film is very interesting, especially being that it's based on a true story from almost 50 years ago. There are the obvious scenes in this film that will revolve around racism mainly and how it can corrupt or encourage characters be the best and worst of themselves. I think, that's definitely showcased in the main cast and there's different ways to look at this. Everyone is mainly talking about the final moments of this film and I have to say for today's generation (maybe even mine included) it shows that America has always had a racial problem in how we get along with one another. But, for me personally, I'm wondering where our country is going in the next 50 years and what type of atmosphere will be created for the generations to come.

Even if your a fan or not of Spike Lee, I think what he's accomplished with this film is to entertain you and also, leave questions for yourself in how you really feel deep down about this troubling issue of racism that America has. I recommend it for anyone who curious about the film and it's subject matter and I plan on seeing it again.


Mission Impossible - Fallout 8 / 10 :verily

Action packed from beginning to end, Tom Cruise proves again and again that he can make a movie big with his acting and creative ability to engage in a solid story line. What I will say for all Mission Impossible fans is "Fallout" is more of a conclusion to what was started in "Rogue Nation" and feels like one big story split into two films. And I liked that. I have to say the franchise has come along way since it's debut in 1996 and I'm not sure if Cruise will continue since he is pushing 60. Despite all that, I enjoyed the film, the action scenes were great and the plot was pretty generic for these films as usual, which didn't make the film suffer at all in my opinion.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,850
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just rented Annihilation.

It was a beautiful movie in it's own way. Also grotesque. Those two together made it an enjoyable enough watch. Unfortunately, had some issues with the characters and story. It really felt to me like something that wanted to be like Michael Crichton's Sphere (the awesome book not the shitty movie) but couldn't quite pull it off on a storytelling front. It's really a movie where you have to turn you brain off and ignore the horror movie logic. Which was tough for me because in a movie like The Meg I can dismiss that stuff with a laugh but the film took itself so seriously and really did not have the writing necessary to back that up, IMO.

Still I'd give it like a 7 out 10 because of how great it looked and how much I liked the premise.
 
Last edited:

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
What's everyone's favourite 2018 movie so far?
Favorite 2018 movie seen in theaters/released this year, or in general?

I think I've seen 59 (new) movies so far. If we're talking about 2018 films, I think An Elephant Sitting Still stands out the most (so far). Spoke about it when I caught it at a festival back in May. It's 3h50 long but man I was glued from beginning to end... it's a really, really heavy drama of sorts. Here's a recent trailer for it:


I know a 4 hour long film is not for everyone, but yeah. A few days ago someone uploaded the full thing on youtube, but it had no subtitles, and it has since been taken down, but if anything it could mean that sooner or later it'll hit the web, which is something I wasn't expecting for this film.

As for other films that I've seen/hadn't seen before, Hard To Be a God (which I've also talked about at length) is probably at the very top of my favorites of the year so far. Nearly 3 hours long as well (seeing a pattern here lul) it's simply mindblowing, there's absolutely nothing quite like it, but it's obviously one of those hate-it-or-love-it films. I personally loved it, and I'm still working my way through seeing a bunch of films in a similar vein.

If you want a unique experience, you should give it a shot. The level of immersion is out of this world, which is quite fitting given the story. There's a plot, but it's not the "main" thing throughout the whole movie, so it's no surprise that you have people claiming that they didn't get it/nothing happens/etc.

Thelma was also really, really good in almost every aspect. Saw it back in January and I know there was one or two things I could've done without, but it was nearly perfect for me, and the soundtrack really elevated the film into something else.

Charisma (best seen after watching Cure, by the same director), Visitor of a Museum, The Great Buddha+ and The Return were also some of my favorites so far.

One on my watchlist is You Were Never Really Here, Lynne Ramsay's next film after We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011). From what I'm told this isn't a movie to take lightly so despite wanting to see it I won't exactly rush to do so. IIRC this movie was mentioned in the thread before.
Yeah, I saw it. If you can, I think you should see it in theaters. Unfortunately my experience was partially ruined by other patrons, but whatever.

It was good and enjoyable, with some very striking, memorable and hard to forget scenes, but I expected a little more from it.

One thing I find myself saying a lot lately is "yeah, I liked it, but I wish I could've seen more of it/the characters", and I thought the same about You Were Never Really Here.

And like, that's not necessarily bad, but with 89mins running time I kinda wanted a bit more, like an extra 10-15mins.

I liked the film, it also had a pretty good OST, but I think We Need To Talk About Kevin is still the superior film when you take all things into account.

I watched a few horror movies too.
Hereditary - I don't like it as much as others, still a good horror movie. Collette will win stuff.
Raw - A coming of age story... with gore and cannibalism. This is worth seeing for sure, the cover might put you off.
Saw Hereditary with a friend. He didn't like it, but I did, which goes to show how it truly is a divisive film. I liked it a lot, but it didn't quite reach the hype-meter which had been set pretty damn high thanks to... well, everyone, really.

Saw Raw at a film festival last year. I liked it, but I thought the "twist"/ending reveal was a bit dumb and unnecessary, and kinda took away a lot of the serious tone set in the film beforehand. I mean, I get it, I understand why it's there and what it probably means, but it just didn't land for me. I liked everything else about the film - and still do - but that reveal was just ugh, why.

Looks good. Someone in the comments noted the difference in colour to the 1977 movie, which is true/obvious. I'm not exactly sure on terminology... the original was 'strong' with it's colours, while the remake uses a more 'dull' palette.
The original one - and most of Dario's films - fall in the genre that is "giallo". If you google giallo films/giallo horror you'll see that the cinematography is pretty similar, with lots of striking colors and whatnot.

The duo Bruno Forzani/Hélène Cattet have been making films in that style, the most recent one being Let The Corpses Tan.

I mean, visually it looks very interesting, and totally looks like something out of the 70s/80s period, but that's the thing with their movies: you're either in it for the visuals, or you're gonna have a very bad time with the story/plot/continuity.

I haven't seen any of their stuff yet (could've seen that one^ at a festival but decided not to) but someday I might. Look at this teaser for example, back when it was first released I thought it was pretty cool/creepy/strange, but that's all their films in a nutshell anyway:

As for Suspiria, I haven't seen the trailer yet, and probably won't 'o'.
The film is gonna be 2h32 long (or something) and I really want to go in as blind as possible. Haven't even seen the original yet, but I'll watch it beforehand.

Another movie coming up that I really want to believe in with all my heart and soul is the the Shane Black Predator movie. I don't though. I really don't. The original Predator movie is one of my all time favorites. But the trailer..
For me I don't see how this new Predator is any different that Alien Vs. Predator 2. From the trailer, they look nearly identical, it's all the same thing.

At least the Adrien brody Predator from 2010 attempted something new and I think it was the most interesting thing done in the Alien/Predator movies since the originals.

Godzilla (2014) and what's the other one?

You don't mean the 1998 Godzilla right?! :notamused
Well there was Shin Godzilla in 2016, made by Hideaki Anno (Neon Genesis Evangelion)...
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,850
Reaction score
23,520
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
For me I don't see how this new Predator is any different that Alien Vs. Predator 2. From the trailer, they look nearly identical, it's all the same thing.

At least the Adrien brody Predator from 2010 attempted something new and I think it was the most interesting thing done in the Alien/Predator movies since the originals.
I don't disagree. But hope springs eternal. And in moments like this I always cling to the original Iron Man trailer. Which made that movie look awful. It's probably denial on my part but I'm holding out hope it's going to be better than it seems.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Also, rewatching it, it does kind of seem like everything in that trailer is going to be from the first 30 mins. It's a crash site scene, debriefing scene, a prison bus, and a super-predator reveal. Three of those four seem like they'd almost have to be from the first act right?
 
Last edited:

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
I don't disagree. But hope springs eternal. And in moments like this I always cling to the original Iron Man trailer. Which made that movie look awful. It's probably denial on my part but I'm holding out hope it's going to be better than it seems.
I mean not to be a downer or anything, but it's a Predator movie... how "good" can it really be :/?

Shane Black has done some pretty good things, but it's still a Predator movie with a pretty generic,horror-like cast. I don't see it going any different than all the other movies, BUT then again I won't be watching this since it's not my thing, so be sure to let us know how it was when you get to see it.
 
Top